Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Wow, I didn't even know we had an RC thread. I'm thinking about grabbing a fun monster truck kit for my son and I to mess around with and have my eyes on Tamiya's Lunchbox re-issue. Anyone here gotten one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have not but I think someone a couple pages back restored theirs from like the 80s and was having fun with it.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

EdsTeioh posted:

Wow, I didn't even know we had an RC thread. I'm thinking about grabbing a fun monster truck kit for my son and I to mess around with and have my eyes on Tamiya's Lunchbox re-issue. Anyone here gotten one?

That might have been me. I had a lot of fun building it. Didn't rush things, and spent a few nights assembling bits while watching tv.

It's a riot to drive, especially once you start putting modern electronics in it. I finally ended up breaking part of mounts on the diff case, but that was after launching it in a parking lot over the course of the summer. I highly recommend them.

edit: lol

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 26, 2018

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather put a Lunchbox body on a modern basher if it were me.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

an AOL chatroom posted:

That might have been me. I had a lot of fun building it. Didn't rush things, and spent a few nights assembling bits while watching tv.

It's a riot to drive, especially once you start putting modern electronics in it. I finally ended up breaking part of mounts on the diff case, but that was after launching it in a parking lot over the course of the summer. I highly recommend them.

edit: lol

Dang, that thing is rad! Anyone have recommendations for a decent cheap-ish transmitter?

EDIT: Gingerbread House Music: What would you recommend for a modern blaster?

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 26, 2018

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EdsTeioh posted:

Dang, that thing is rad! Anyone have recommendations for a decent cheap-ish transmitter?

If you are just getting started and want good bang for the buck, reliability, and plentiful aftermarket parts and options, you can't go wrong with getting a Traxxas. They typically come with everything you need to start running short of a battery and charger.

e: here's a list of their models: https://traxxas.com/products/showroom

bashers are usually a truck of some kind

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
lol the "self-righting" mechanism on the E-Maxx is basically just torquing itself to flip over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2kweO3oz_4&t=17s

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

EdsTeioh posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Stampede-Scale-Monster-2-4GHz/dp/B0192Y8G1O

A Stampede is basically the most basic, easiest way to get started in RC, and it's only $200. Then you can fall down the hole of a new body, tires, blushless conversion, lipo batteries, etc.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Got my TrX 4 today. It was fun as gently caress until the servo for the front diff died 10 minutes into driving it. I'm still bashing it until the replacement comes, but it's annoying as gently caress hearing that servo click and whirr the whole time. Aside from that, babbies first scaler. I got a bridge next to my apartment with a bunch of rocks and poo poo. Even with the broken servo it's a blast.

My usual RC is a stampede. All speed and violence. This is a new concept for me, but I'm enjoying it very much.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Gingerbread House Music posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Stampede-Scale-Monster-2-4GHz/dp/B0192Y8G1O

A Stampede is basically the most basic, easiest way to get started in RC, and it's only $200. Then you can fall down the hole of a new body, tires, blushless conversion, lipo batteries, etc.

Definitely a Stampede, but it's a good idea to pony up the extra $100 for brushless VXL model right off. You'll definitely want it eventually anyway. Traxxas is great because pretty much every part you will ever need is on Amazon. If you got a hobby shop near by, even better. It's not often my local doesn't have what I need. My stampede has been beat senseless for 7 years or so. There's not much original poo poo left on it but the motor and ESC are still working perfectly.

My replacement TRX should be here tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm gonna be working alot the next few day so I won't be able to spend much time with it. Anyone got experience with the Traxxas telemetry module and app? I got the little module that pops into the controller but obviously haven't been able to try it yet.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Definitely a Stampede, but it's a good idea to pony up the extra $100 for brushless VXL model right off. You'll definitely want it eventually anyway. Traxxas is great because pretty much every part you will ever need is on Amazon. If you got a hobby shop near by, even better. It's not often my local doesn't have what I need. My stampede has been beat senseless for 7 years or so. There's not much original poo poo left on it but the motor and ESC are still working perfectly.

My replacement TRX should be here tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm gonna be working alot the next few day so I won't be able to spend much time with it. Anyone got experience with the Traxxas telemetry module and app? I got the little module that pops into the controller but obviously haven't been able to try it yet.

I have a HobbyTown here, but after going in last weekend and the 17 year old arguing with me on how to pronounce "Tamiya" and then laughing at me and telling me that they'd never carry their stuff "because you have to build them," I'll never go back.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EdsTeioh posted:

I have a HobbyTown here, but after going in last weekend and the 17 year old arguing with me on how to pronounce "Tamiya" and then laughing at me and telling me that they'd never carry their stuff "because you have to build them," I'll never go back.

That loving sucks. 😟

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

EdsTeioh posted:

Wow, gently caress that kid. Did you tell the management they hired an rear end in a top hat?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Tamiya’s only the biggest RC/Model company for that very reason

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Uhh... You don't have to build them, they sell RTR stuff too.

And Tamiya is pronounced "I've been playing with their stuff since before you were conceived, you little poo poo".

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004
I just got a re-release Top Force pretty much for the reason that you "have to" build it, because building and understanding how the car worked was half the interest for me :)

(Also I wanted to buy a car I couldn't afford when I was 14 when it was released first time around)

Now to find shocks which are decent and aren't a zillion dollarpounds...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Speaking of kits that we can build, are there any recommendations for an off-road basher?

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

I actually managed to win the snap on xmaxx. Is it worth trying to keep these funky proprietary batteries and charger, or should I just slap some XT90s on this thing and try to sell the stock stuff off?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

EdsTeioh posted:

Aww man, that's a drag. My local store (https://www.kranzelshobbies.com/) is great. I had to go in for a new battery and a few things for my stampede last week. They're overly attentive if anything. Never had a question they couldn't answer. The buy I talked to seemed genuinely bummed that I didn't buy my TRX there. Felt like he wanted to have sold it to me, so he could have had the pleasure of selling it to me rather than me buying it elsewhere, if that makes sense. But don't give up on them. You may have gotten the one rear end in a top hat among some knowledgeable guys passionate for the hobby.

Finally got to take my TRX out and play with it...

It is good. Everything I imagined it would be. There's a little spot up the road where a local contractor dumps stones and dirt. It's perfect for playing around with this thing.

I also got a few things done to my Stampede. I broke a shock last time I ran it so I upgraded a little...

The gearbox was also pretty much hosed so I got the Proline one. Much smoother, and quieter. And faster!

Vidya of my TRX. Uuuungh yeah...

https://youtu.be/hEArgYFR3B8

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well, WCRC opened again.

I went racing. I can turn a competitive lap time with the Euro Truck, but my USGT car... well notsomuch. I'm something like 4 seconds a lap slow for USGT.

I've got a long way to go before I'll be "good" at this racing thing.

Lessons learned this weekend: the FF03 is more TRF418/TB03 than it is TRF201. (which it is ~also~) After breaking a knuckle I was able to track down a Tamiya fan and dug up some knuckle parts... so I was able to make every heat in spite of breaking the darned thing twice. Amusingly, I'm running a 77/60 primary reduction. And I think I need to get to 63 or 66 tooth pinon. The motor isn't even warm at the end of a run, so there's more amps to draw.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I was dumb, went against my instinct and listened to the hobby shop guy.

Went in to get parts for my son's Stampede and get some sand tires for my Rustler. Since i had previously gotten sand tires for the Stampede, and was told to get a lower pinion gear at the time (the combo worked fine) I asked if I needed one for my Rustler because the tire were probably half the size so i wasn't sure. The guy said no, AND said I didn't need the gear for the Stampede either!

So against my better judgement, I figured this guy works with this poo poo so he knows, so we took them out to the beach to run them hard like we always do, but this time with the sand tires and no lower gear. Guess what happened? The Stampede shut down in about ten minutes, then the Rustler was right after it about ten minutes after that, probably because it's new. The Stampede came back to life later, but the Rustler's motor is toast. Thankfully, traxxas is super loving awesome and are sending me a new motor. Traxxas owner for life.

Can't wait to go back to the hobby shop!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Due to this thread I picked up a used 2WD Slash a couple months ago. Just added a new LiPo battery and holy poo poo did that ever wake it up. Looking forward to building some ramps in the work parking lot. A brushless motor might be in my future too

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've never run nimh models because i'm an aero guy, but yeah, the discharge curve of lipos compared to nimh is just ridiculous.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So when you go lipo do you have to switch up anything else besides the battery? Like the ESC?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So when you go lipo do you have to switch up anything else besides the battery? Like the ESC?

You need a lipo battery charger. Some speed controllers have a feature you can program for a low voltage cut off because if a LiPo battery is discharged too far it will permanently damage the battery. It is not required to do if you are self aware and just stop driving and unplug the battery when you notice it is getting slower then you are fine. If you have a small kid that drives the car until it physically stops moving then it is good to have. Traxxas speed controllers have the ability to program in on the XL5 I am pretty sure.

Literally everything is better with LiPo. You get longer run times by A LOT. More voltage and the battery is half the weight. As long as the battery is not warm you can charge it right up and run it over and over in a single day. The only drawback is that these batteries have a lot of stored energy and should you disrespect them they could self immolate and take down your entire garage. In 12 years of LiPo I have never had a problem (touch wood).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on the ESC (you kinda want a low Vbat cutoff), but otherwise you can just hang an alarm to the balance leads, as long as the lipo voltage is supported by your ESC.

You need a lipo-capable charger. You need to not treat them (physically) like nimh, because if they short internally they will burn like a hell pit.

As mentionned, they are otherwise better in every way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You need a lipo battery charger. Some speed controllers have a feature you can program for a low voltage cut off because if a LiPo battery is discharged too far it will permanently damage the battery. It is not required to do if you are self aware and just stop driving and unplug the battery when you notice it is getting slower then you are fine.

See, I can't trust myself to do that because I grew up racing 1/12 pan cars in 8-minute heats with 27T brushed motors and 1500 mAH NiCd packs. You'd keep running unless you were literally crawling. By comparison I can't tell the difference between my lipos at the start or finish of a 4-minute heat in 1/10 4WD touring cars, even with 17.5 brushless.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

I believe most modern traxxas ESC's are good to go for Lipo and have the low battery cutoff

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah just figured out the esc i have on each car has the shut off option. I already invested in more of the regular batteries so maybe ill wait before going to lipo. The regular ones seem fine to me, plenty of power and they're cheap enough so no biggie.

Gonna sell my son's stampede and get him a slash here soon, the stampedes center of gravity is just to high for fast turns it flips every time.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

A 2WD slash isn’t much better unless it has the LCG chassis. The 4WD doesn’t flip nearly as much. You can go so many more places with 4WD too.

For 2WD SCT’s I have a factory team SC10 from my track rat race days and the HPI blitz for bashing. I LOVE my Blitz. It’s smooth, handles very well and has been very durable. It’s brushless and has been since day one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Slash is way better in that regard, have you seen the Stampede up close? Compared to my Rustler it's hilarious, it's clearly catering to the monster truck crowd which is fine, my son loved it right up until he tried racing me and couldn't keep the thing on it's wheels on tight turns.

As far as 4wd how is the maintenance on them? I tend to like 2wd for the simplicity and ease of maintenance with all my vehicles :)

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Traxxas ESCs are very much Lipo ready. VXL or XL5. Right out of the box theres a tag hanging off the battery cable to tell you about it. My TRX4 was set to Lipo by default. Green led means lipo, red is for nimh. That's one of the things that makes me recommend Traxxas to anyone that asks me about getting babbys first RC. I don't know of anything tougher, easier to repair and with better parts availability than (insert Traxxas product here).

The Slash is way better in that regard, have you seen the Stampede up close? Compared to my Rustler it's hilarious, it's clearly catering to the monster truck crowd which is fine, my son loved it right up until he tried racing me and couldn't keep the thing on it's wheels on tight turns.

As far as 4wd how is the maintenance on them? I tend to like 2wd for the simplicity and ease of maintenance with all my vehicles :)

Gotta defend my Stampede a little. I know someone who got a new Slash 2wd. He was running the nimh battery and the brushed motor it came with. That thing was shockingly more capable than my Stampede on pavement. The gap closes a little on gravel and dirt but in the grass the Slash was dead in the water.

What the Stampede excels at is just plain balls out fun time. We had the Slash and Stampede out at a cookout. There was some rocks and dirt to drive on but we also threw together a crude cinder block and plywood ramp.

The Slash can jump, crash and spin just fine but there's something about the Stampede and it's big cartoony wheels. Seeing that dumb fucker soaring through the air with the tires all balooned out and then landing tits up, only to pop back up and rip a monster wheelie just delights anyone. To me, the possibilities just make it more fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah you have a point there, I may just end up keeping it rather than sell it for whatever it's worth.....Turn it into a rock crawler or something and just get my son a slash so he can race. He also wants traxxas drift car too lol, looks like I'll end up with quite the collection.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
It ain't ever gonna be a crawler. If you want that, get a TRX. if you aren't actually racing it a Stampede, Rustler or Slash is just for bashing. Make it brushless if it isn't already. Get bigger and better Lipos. Fix what breaks when you crash it with better parts. Eventually it'll be so fast and violent that you can barely control it and that is when you're done.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

A different set of tires will completely transform how a truck drives too. Get some different meats and adjust the suspension a little bit and you can get the Stampede to stop rolling like a well trained dog. Pro-Line has a ton of great tires offered for the Stampede.

RE: 2WD/4WD maintenance - they really are pretty bulletproof either way. There are guys running 6S LiPo and 1/8 brushless systems in the 4WD Slash hitting completely stuuupid speeds.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

It ain't ever gonna be a crawler. If you want that, get a TRX. if you aren't actually racing it a Stampede, Rustler or Slash is just for bashing. Make it brushless if it isn't already. Get bigger and better Lipos. Fix what breaks when you crash it with better parts. Eventually it'll be so fast and violent that you can barely control it and that is when you're done.

Well I use that term lightly, this is Florida, so there are no rocks nor hills to climb. I would literally have to build some sort of an obstacle course to even try to replicate any kind of "rock crawling" :v:

Basically the Stampede would be the one to do all the crazy poo poo first. 6 foot ramp? Get the Stampede.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Well I use that term lightly, this is Florida, so there are no rocks nor hills to climb. I would literally have to build some sort of an obstacle course to even try to replicate any kind of "rock crawling" :v:

Basically the Stampede would be the one to do all the crazy poo poo first. 6 foot ramp? Get the Stampede.

There's always something to climb. I've been hyper aware of new spots to drive my TRX since I got it. When I'm commuting I've been making mental notes of places I see that would be fun to do some climbing. There's plenty of woods and stuff around here but the first place I took it was the construction site in the pics I posted. It doesn't matter where you are, you're not far from where someone is pushing dirt around.

As a Stampede owner who has also played with a Slash, You can run them both up a huge ramp at top speed and they'll both be a awesome. Only difference is that you got a better chance of sticking the landing with a Stampede and a Slash isn't gonna flip over as much. You can beat both of them like they poo poo on the carpet though.

If I had to choose, I like my Stampede VS. a Slash with equal hop ups. But your mileage may vary. I do, however encourage you to look at a TRX if you have any interest in crawlers. I had a hard time justifying the purchase but I'm in love now. It's very calming to drive compared to the balls out hell of wondering what I'm gonna break next time I crash my Stampede into something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I called traxxas about my burnt Rustler motor and they sent me a new motor, no questions asked. Their customer service is the poo poo and for that alone I'll be a traxxas customer for life. Anyway, I thought wait a minute, the hobby shop is the one that gave me bad advice that wound up breaking the motor so they should be ultimately responsible. I took it there and they gave me a motor too, so now I'll have an extra motor :v:

The guy I talked to initially wasn't there, but the other guys said he must have assumed I was running brushless. So that got me thinking hell, if I can run brushless and get better performance AND not have to worry about pinion gears I might just have to do that eventually. And go lipo too.

But I digress. Went ahead and got the pinion gear like I should have to begin with, and also picked up some roller bearings and more parts for the Stampede that continues to break.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

wondering what I'm gonna break next time I crash my Stampede into something.

It's like a given at this point. Thankfully parts are cheap tho so gently caress it :v:

[e] does anyone know if the traxxas bodies are made of ABS or not? I want to try some plastic welding where the body mounts are cracking using zip ties for welding rods.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 9, 2018

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Zip ties and soldering iron welding works sometimes. RPM parts are cheap. Use melt kludges to get you through the weekend. I usually replace broken poo poo with either RPM plastic or whatever metal parts are cheapest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

[e] does anyone know if the traxxas bodies are made of ABS or not? I want to try some plastic welding where the body mounts are cracking using zip ties for welding rods.

It is NOT ABS plastic. It is polycarbonate (Lexan). The fix for cracking is fiberglass mesh tape with Shoe Goo. Shameless plugs (but commonly found at most hobby shops) Here and here.