Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

CubsWoo posted:

He actually wasn't allowed to do the Mountie gimmick in Canada because the RCMP look and designation are protected by Canadian law, so when he would do shows in Canada he would change his ring gear slightly, be billed as Jacques Rougeau and they would often have the ring announcer and the commentators give a disclaimer that he did not represent the RCMP in any official capacity.

Yeah and in response Vince gave him a theme song much more insulting to the RCMP because that's how Vince rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Gaz-L posted:

Be satisfied with that one episode of Highlander where Roddy battles MacLeod in a spooky amusement park.

I'm more into that time Roddy dressed like a superhero and teamed up with RoboCop.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah and in response Vince gave him a theme song much more insulting to the RCMP because that's how Vince rolls.

Rare instance of Vince doubling down and it making the situation better.

Fun fact: Chris Hannah of Propagandhi (Canadian punk band) once said some negative things about the Mounties, and it pissed them off so much they stuffed a ballot for "The Most Hated Man in Canada" and he finished 3rd. Pretty sure he said that stuff because they'd violated an indigenous person's rights aggressively in an investigation. I don't remember who finished ahead of him.

Also Google ""Starlight Tours RCMP".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Marmaduke! posted:

And it would have been all the more enjoyable to read if it was completely unexpected.

(Hell, that's two posts in a row talking about the future! Good work guys)

I mean it guys, don't make me turn this thread around :colbert:

DukeofCA posted:

I can't wait for Rarity to turn around on the Mountie like she eventually does with most of the gimmicks she hates.

I'm here with Akeem and he's rolling his eyes at you.

sean10mm posted:

So Jake just took some time off to not work out and to take more drugs until he got relatively skinny again.

I think a 'gently caress this carny company' is due here.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yup, this is the thing I was mentioning! The singles push of Jacques Rougeau...under a silly enough gimmick he was barred from using it in Canada, but it is still a singles push for Jacques Rougeau.

Also yeah, I always thought Jacques somehow got taller for this run. Don't know if it was just the suit or what, but I never would have thought of him looming over the likes of Koko.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 6, 2018

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Rarity posted:

I'm here with Akeem

See, you're friends already!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Yup, this is the thing I was mentioning! The singles push of Jacques Rougeau...under a silly enough gimmick he was barred from using it in Canada, but it is still a singles push for Jacques Rougeau.

Also yeah, I always thought Jacques somehow got taller for this run. Don't know if it was just the suit or what, but I never would have thought of him looming over the likes of Koko.

Koko is a very short man and also Mountie wore lifts with the boots he has

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I realized what will be in the next update and I'm kind of pumped. A whole lot to talk about coming out of a single match.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gavok posted:

I realized what will be in the next update and I'm kind of pumped. A whole lot to talk about coming out of a single match.

WELL GET YOUR PANTS ON CAUSE HERE IT IS :derp:

---

Back to Gino and Piper, who doesn't know if he can take it by which I presume he means all this coke. That's fine, buddy. Sharing is caring! Piper talks about going out for lunch with Virgil and trying to instil in him the virtues of not selling out. And in order to get across this important message Piper left without tipping the wait staff. What an absolute dick.

Mooney is with Ted DiBiase and Virgil as they prepare for a tag team match against the Rhodes boys. It's Virgil's first ever time in the ring and DiBiase thinks he'll do well. He points out that Virgil does everything up to and including massaging his feet in return for the almighty dollar, which shows that there's a bond even greater than blood and that's his money. By the end of this Virgil is staring him down hard. Hmm, intriguing.

Is this going where I think it's going?

The Rhodes Family vs. Ted DiBiase and Virgil

quote:

INTRODUCING...

We've come to a bit of a marker point here on the Rarity Retrospective, folks. This debut appearance of Dustin Rhodes marks our first look at someone who is still an active wrestler for WWE today and I am shocked because I figured we were still a few years away from this. But milestones aside let's talk about Goldust. I missed all of Goldust's first big run in the 90s but he'd not been gone long so he was someone who was still in my consciousness. My first real Goldust experience was his early 00s run when he teamed up with Booker T. By this point he was firmly pushed into the comedy sideshow role and for a long time that's all I really thought he was. He was weird and goofy and that was entirely all there was.

After that Goldust disappeared for a long time, although I did hear about him being terrible over in TNA but that was just par for the books. I never thought about him again until ten years later when he returned for his tag run with Cody. This was at the height of the Authority while they were still fresh and Cody and Goldust were pissed with the way they were treating Dusty and the Shield were involved and it was amazing. And in all that Goldust delivered better matches than at any point I'd seen before. I'd always respected Dustin's ability to create and define a character but this run really made me appreciate him as a worker as well. And now he's on 205 Live hanging out with Cedric Alexander twenty seven years on from his WWF debut. That's longevity. And that's what makes Goldust to me one of the most seminal characters in wrestling. I've been there for a lot of his journey so I'm really interested to see how it starts.

Wow, well all right then. Between the debut of Dustin, the blow-off between DiBiase and Dusty and whatever shenanigans they're planning for Virgil I'm really excited for this one. There's all sorts of potential for fun here. The Rhodes duo are out first and once again Dusty is in business mode. Somewhere in the world a young Cody Rhodes is having the time of his life. DiBiase and Virgil are out next and Virgil's even got his own new pair of wrestling tights. They're purple and very snazzy.

The heels ambush the Rhodes boys straight out the gates but fail to keep the upper hand as they get whipped into each other. The match settles down as DiBiase orders Virgil to take out Dustin. Unfortunately, Dustin's got his own ideas in mind and hurls himself into a clothesline. You just can't get the help these days. Virgil goes for a monkey flip but Dustin has it scouted and throws him out of the ring. DiBiase is pretty pissed with Virgil's substandard performance and like any boss with poor man-management skills he gives him a loud verbal slating. That's an HR complaint waiting to happen, that is.

Virgil, seek union representation

While DiBiase's man management skills may require some development never let it be said that he doesn't lead by example. He tags himself in to show Virgil how it's done and connects with a back body drop to take control of affairs. This gives him the advantage to put in a beating on Dustin and as he does so he starts taunting Dusty. Jesus! What are you going to do after the match, set fire to Cody's comic book collection? Piper points out that despite his money DiBiase is such a cheapskate that he never buys new ring gear. Now this I must protest. Those wrestling trunks are crafted from the finest Himalayan spandex, individually stitched together by Vietnamese monks. That's the price of quality right there.

All of DiBiase's flouting of karma is swiftly rebuked when Dustin nails a facebuster and is able to make the tag. The Rhodes boys take it in turns to blast him with Dusty-style elbows, it's totally adorable. Dusty slaps on a sleeper hold but Virgil's got enough ring awareness going on to break it up. Dustin goes for a running knee on Virgil while he's in the corner but Virgil dodges and Dustin hits the turnbuckle hard. And uh oh it looks like the fairytale is over because Dustin's blown out his knee and now he can't even stand. Ah, I know this one! I believe it's called Puss in Boots.

Now that he's going up against a one-legged man not even Virgil can screw this up any more. He lays in a serious beating and wraps Dustin's knee hard around the ringpost. Ouch! To his credit Dustin is giving this a really good sell. It's clear in this match that he's green as all hell but he makes this beatdown very believable. DiBiase gets involved as well and then he grabs hold of Dustin so that Virgil can do the double team but Dustin rolls away and Virgil nails DiBiase instead! Virgil proceeds to recriminate himself for his mistake with some of the most amazing cartoon acting.

Virgil suddenly regretted putting all that money into bitcoin

So DiBiase's accidentally been laid out by the hired help and I think we all know that he's going to take this with his usual sense of grace and forgiveness, don't we? Of course not. DiBiase beats the crap out of Virgil for his gently caress up and throws him out of the ring. That's one big liability for an employment tribunal right there. But while all this is happening Dustin is crawling over to his corner and he tags in Dusty! Oh DiBiase, hubris will ever be your downfall. Dusty gets in the ring and DiBiase rolls him up to get the victory. Hubris... will not be your downfall?

So once again DiBiase comes out of a feud avoiding all comeuppance which is kind of awesome actually. The Rhodes boys disappear while DiBiase gets his hands on a mic to address the crowd. He says that tonight the Rhodes boys paid the price for crossing him and oh my god, there's actual “VIRGIL” chants coming from the crowd. Excuse me, Satan called and he wants to know why it's suddenly freezing.

Virgil, let me introduce you to a concept called workers' rights

DiBiase orders Virgil to fetch the Million Dollar belt and put it around his waist but Virgil's still reeling from that beatdown and he's staring daggers at DiBiase. Oh man, this is so cool. Virgil turns and grabs the belt and comes into the ring but then he's pausing... he looks conflicted... Don't do it, Virgil! Remember how good it felt when you didn't tip the waitress! So there's this big moment as Virgil's mulling things over and from out of nowhere a fan hurls a drink that smacks DiBiase right on the back of the head and to his credit DiBiase no-sells the poo poo out of it but loving hell. Ow.

Anyway, back to Virgil and his crisis of conscience. He's thinking things over, weighing up the ramifications of good and evil and HE DROPS THE BELT! It's happening! Virgil's all set to turn his back on DiBiase but then DiBiase reminds him about his mother. That's right, Virgil. What about your sick mother lying in a hospital bed who's only able to make it another day because DiBiase is paying her medical bills? I mean, that's not stated but it's very much the implication and gently caress me that is a low blow, DiBiase. Of course there's no way Virgil's standing up for himself after that verbal smackdown so he picks up the belt and DiBiase turns around to gloat and VIRGIL SMACKS HIM IN THE FACE WITH IT!

Somewhere in the world a young Alex Riley pumps his fist in the air

The crowd gives Virgil the most nuclear pop he will ever get in his life. DiBiase's left laid out in the ring as he walks off to the back by himself. drat, that was awesome. Ok, the match itself wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination but this was all about the angle and they absolutely killed it. DiBiase and Virgil both played their parts to perfection and while I don't see Virgil having any longevity as a singles guy for one brief moment they made him look like a star. I'm excited for the blow-off match where DiBiase inevitably wins and faces zero consequences for his actions.

Addendum: It turns out this is Dusty's last ever PPV match so we're saying farewell to the American Dream. I feel like this definitely an instance where me getting into my thoughts is in order. When Dusty made his debut I really didn't get on with him at all and there was a lot of kickback in the thread from you guys for the poo poo I said about him. So did I turn round my views on Dusty? Did I come to appreciate him as a wrestler? Well, the honest answer is... a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he got any better in the ring but I did thaw out some on his character. It helped that the goofiness got toned down as his run went on and they leaned more on the common working man thing. The angle with DiBiase at Summerslam '90 did wonders to rehab him and really helped get me on his side. It's probably for the best that he's leaving now because he gets to go out on while still in my good books. So farewell, Dusty. You may not be my favourite but at least when I remember you it'll be in a positive way. Have an extra burger for me, friend!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Man, people really didn't get to Dibiase much. Savage did for the title, Virgil does here, but generally he just pulled wins out of his rear end and laughed about it.

Oh yeah, this was around the point Rick Martel had my favorite Royal Rumble taunt ever (I think it was on an episode of Superstars or something). "Jake Roberts, at the Royal Rumble thirty men will see what number they've drawn. Not you though, someone will have to read you yours."

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 8, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I'm remembering right, when Dusty showed up and got given the polka dot gimmick, a lot of people thought beyond being a rib it was a test to see if he would be willing to humble himself and not make demands/be a prima-donna. To everybody's surprise, Dusty did just that - he did exactly what was asked of him, never balked at anything, and it all had the added bonus that the crowds still got fully into him and, as he put it many years later,"I took dem polka dots to the pay-windah!"

So then at this show in spite of not being a problem, doing as he was told AND getting over.... they fired him.

:sigh:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This is by far my favourite wrestling thread

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

If I'm remembering right, when Dusty showed up and got given the polka dot gimmick, a lot of people thought beyond being a rib it was a test to see if he would be willing to humble himself and not make demands/be a prima-donna. To everybody's surprise, Dusty did just that - he did exactly what was asked of him, never balked at anything, and it all had the added bonus that the crowds still got fully into him and, as he put it many years later,"I took dem polka dots to the pay-windah!"

So then at this show in spite of not being a problem, doing as he was told AND getting over.... they fired him.

:sigh:

Dusty Rhodes is amazing. It's impossible to hate the guy because everything he accomplished and how much he cared in the WWF though he could have just ridden an easy paycheck.

Also Virgil being named Virgil was supposedly a rib on Dusty when he was still with Crockett.

Amazingly, Dustin's not a rookie here, either. He popped up on Crockett TV in late 1988.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Before becoming Goldust, Dustin Rhodes was one of the blandest, whitest meat babyfaces to ever make it on to TV. He wasn't bad, he was just kinda there. That being said, Dusty and Dustin did one of my all-time favorite segments in all of wrestling in WCW in 1994. It's from the future, but it's not from WWF, so I don't believe it qualifies as a spoiler. If it does, I apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOli1iSjr7s&t=136s

The context is Dustin is falling in with a bad crowd, and Dusty is trying to get him to see the error of his ways.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Takuan posted:

Before becoming Goldust, Dustin Rhodes was one of the blandest, whitest meat babyfaces to ever make it on to TV. He wasn't bad, he was just kinda there. That being said, Dusty and Dustin did one of my all-time favorite segments in all of wrestling in WCW in 1994. It's from the future, but it's not from WWF, so I don't believe it qualifies as a spoiler. If it does, I apologize.

The context is Dustin is falling in with a bad crowd, and Dusty is trying to get him to see the error of his ways.

That's a hell of a shirt Dustin's got on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Takuan posted:

I believe this is CM Punk's favourite promo of all time, too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dustin was a fantastic, fantastic wrestler from 92-94, you could accuse him of being bland, but he worked his rear end off.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takuan posted:

Dusty might be my favorite promo of all time. Jesus gently caress. How does one man drop two of the top five greatest promos of all time?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Randaconda posted:

How does one man drop two of the top five greatest promos of all time?

Be part of the Dusty Rhodes vs Ric Flair rivalry I guess?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
THE VIEW NEVER CHANGES BABY.

It's my favourite promo ever, too. But there's greater context than falling in with a bad crowd. Spoilered for Rarity, because you should absolutely cover this storyline at some point.

Dustin had been feuding with Colonel Parker's Stud Stable: Dirty Dick Slater, Bunkhouse Buck (Parker's brother IRL), Terry Funk, Kurosawa (Kensuke Sasaki on his excursion) and Parker's bodyguard, Meng. Dustin's Texas tough, but he's only one man and keeps getting beat down.

So he realizes he needs someone to watch his back. He approaches the man who practically invented gang warfare in wrestling: "The Enforcer" Arn Anderson. AA turns him down initially, but Dustin basically begs him to do it. Arn agrees but tells Dustin he'd better know what he's getting into. Foreshadowing.

Because when they face down with the Stud Stable, Arn gets the hot tag, and he and Stud Stable kick seven shades of poo poo out of Dustin, breaking his arm. Someone probably should have told him AA was a member of Stud Stable in Continental Wrestling. I think they even vaguely reference this, as well as the long running hatred of the Rhodes and Anderson's.

Dustin's pissed and attacks the Stud Stable on WCWSN, they overwhelm him until Big Dust makes the save and cuts this promo. It all culminates in the only good match the Nasty Boys ever had without Mick Foley carrying them.

War Games, the match beyond: the Rhodes Clan and the Nasty Boys Vs the Stud Stable in a gloriously sloppy brawl.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 8, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Minor correction: Jimmy "Bunkhouse Buck" Golden is Col. Parker's first cousin. (Thanks, Karl Stern)

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Also wasn't Kurosawa Manabu Nakanishi?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This is a situation where Rarity comes out on top because going from PPV to PPV, there's still a dramatic narrative of Dusty vs. Dibiase, even if Dusty was Undertaker fodder at Survivor Series. Actually watching the lead-up to Royal Rumble on TV was a different beast and it was very obvious that Dusty was done. Dusty bringing in Dustin sounds major in retrospect, but the only build to the match was Dibiase being the absolute worst to Virgil. No Rhodes promos or video packages to set this up. Just Virgil inching closer to his face turn to the point that they might as well had said, "Tune in to Royal Rumble to see Virgil turn on Ted Dibiase! ...also, these two bland guys will be there."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

An Actual Bear posted:

Also wasn't Kurosawa Manabu Nakanishi?
Yep. I saw a WCW match featuring Kurosawa a while ago and my mind was blown that that is supposedly the same man that's shambling around New Japan's undercards these days.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Dustin had a match with Dibiase...I want to say sometime before this. It was one of those "If I can't beat Dustin in ten minutes I'll forfeit" things, Dustin lasted ten minutes

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Yep. I saw a WCW match featuring Kurosawa a while ago and my mind was blown that that is supposedly the same man that's shambling around New Japan's undercards these days.

Whoops. I mixed them up, you're positively correct. Sasaki did go to WCW around a similar time period but it wasn't his excursion, just part of WCW and NJPW's working agreement.

Fun fact: Sasaki is the only wrestler to be IWGP, GHC, and Triple Crown champion.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I met Dusty Rhodes when I was 2 or so . I don't remember it, sadly, and it was before everybody had easy access to a camera at all times. :negative:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Whoops. I mixed them up, you're positively correct. Sasaki did go to WCW around a similar time period but it wasn't his excursion, just part of WCW and NJPW's working agreement.

Fun fact: Sasaki is the only wrestler to be IWGP, GHC, and Triple Crown champion.

Sasaki was also a part of the Road Warriors/Legion of Doom when they wrestled in Japan as the :black101: POWER WARRIOR :black101:

e: LOL @ some of the names of his moves.

KING BUSTER
NORTHERN LIGHTS BOMB
STRANGLE HOLD ALPHA/BETA/GAMMA/Z
VOLCANO ERUPTION
SPACE TORNADO KENSUKE
TORNADO BOMB

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 8, 2018

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I have been within touching distance of one of Dusty's polka-dot bodysuits. It's in a small wrestling museum of sorts up near Allentown.

Sadly, they did not have any of Dusty's mufflers.

(It also had what was reputedly the outfit worn THE NIGHT KIMONA WANALEIA DANCED ATOP THE ECW ARENA. I didn't touch that either.)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Sasaki was also a part of the Road Warriors/Legion of Doom when they wrestled in Japan as the :black101: POWER WARRIOR :black101:

Sasaki also eventually got pretty good, whereas Nakanishi's nickname on the old RSPW and Delphi boards was Nakashitty.

I never said it was a clever nickname, although he was pretty terrible.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

sean10mm posted:

:black101: POWER WARRIOR :black101:
That's not a wrestler, that's a Manowar song. :v:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
On at least one glorious occasion, Sasaki was also a long-lost member of the Florida Brothers, the greatest all-American Southern cheating tag team ever to emerge from Japan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

delfin posted:

On at least one glorious occasion, Sasaki was also a long-lost member of the Florida Brothers, the greatest all-American Southern cheating tag team ever to emerge from Japan.

The best part is he had to join them because he lost to both because of some Los Guerreros style chicanery, and whenever he teamed with them, he insisted on being called Kenskee instead of Kensuke

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Takuan posted:

I hadn't thought about that promo in 20 years and I can still quote half of it.

THE VIEW NEVER CHANGES BABY.

It's my favourite promo ever, too. But there's greater context than falling in with a bad crowd. Spoilered for Rarity, because you should absolutely cover this storyline at some point.

Dustin had been feuding with Colonel Parker's Stud Stable: Dirty Dick Slater, Bunkhouse Buck (Parker's brother IRL), Terry Funk, Kurosawa (Kensuke Sasaki on his excursion) and Parker's bodyguard, Meng. Dustin's Texas tough, but he's only one man and keeps getting beat down.

So he realizes he needs someone to watch his back. He approaches the man who practically invented gang warfare in wrestling: "The Enforcer" Arn Anderson. AA turns him down initially, but Dustin basically begs him to do it. Arn agrees but tells Dustin he'd better know what he's getting into. Foreshadowing.

Fake babyface Arn cut some amazing promos leading up to it and afterwards. Specifically the one you reference. Then again, Arn always cut amazing promos.

Because this could be a spoiler, too, though I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread:

Dusty stayed active for a bit after War Games in September, doing blow-off matches on the house show circuit. I saw him and Dustin team against Arn and Buck in a cage match that November.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The best part is he had to join them because he lost to both because of some Los Guerreros style chicanery, and whenever he teamed with them, he insisted on being called Kenskee instead of Kensuke

...Isn't that basically pronounced the same way? Or is :thejoke:?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gaz-L posted:

...Isn't that basically pronounced the same way? Or is :thejoke:?

Nah, the normal way it's pronounced is "Ken-skay." A Japanese guy named "Ken-skee" would spell it Kensuki.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

delfin posted:

I don't think I've ever laughed as much as I did watching Sasaki team with the Florida Brothers, goddamn did that rule.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Once more to the back where Zombie Mean Gene is with Hulk Hogan who is dedicating his match tonight to Our Troops in the Gulf. He says with the energy of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines he's not going to need to luck because Hulkamania has more momentum than ever. Zombie Mean Gene interrupts him with some breaking news that Sgt. Slaughter has defaced the American flag. Which sounds bad but not too long ago The Ultimate Warrior shoved the Iraqi flag in some dude's mouth and you don't get to have it both ways. Hulk declares that if Slaughter's defaced the flag then he's sealed his fate. He says that Slaughter's WWF title reign will be just like... and totally fluffs the line. He means it'll be like Saddam's reign in Kuwait, temporary. He neglects to mention the decades of economic fallout, internal conflict and increased terrorism.

That's all the preliminaries out of the way so there's only one thing left for us to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akin-6GjECQ

The Royal Rumble

Here we are, we've reached that magical time. As always I've selected myself a random number that I will be supporting for the match and this year I've drawn #17 so let's see how that shakes out. Hopefully I'll do better than the hot cup of coffee that I got from HBK in the last go round. To get the action underway this year we have #1 Bret Hart, who is looking calm and composed, and joining him is #2 Dino Bravo. I can't believe this guy still has a job. At this point he's feeling so outdated. The two men square off as Piper decides that “condition is the word of the evening”. Really? Cause the way it's been going so far I'm pretty sure it's 'America'.

Up next is, ugh, it's #3 Greg Valentine. He gets to the ring and goes after Dino who looks very confused by this turn of events. Greg shoves Dino's head into the turnbuckle and dumps him out. Ahahaha, Dino is loving worthless at this point. Jimmy gets up on the apron to argue with Greg but ends up being pushed off. Piper calls Greg “a sixty minute man” and there's no way I'm buying that. I know we've talked about Greg's stamina before but no.

It's sad that Greg is the closest we get to buttgame these days

Things begin to settle down as #4 Paul Roma joins the action and we drop into the traditional Rumble formula of lazy brawling and prolonged rope-hugging. It's really not very good. #5 The Texas Tornado is next as Bret whiffs a second rope elbow drop on Roma. The arrival of #6 Rick Martel injects some excitement into proceedings and he gets super close to eliminating Roma before Roma responds with a nasty clothesline. Gino states once more that in this match it's every man for himself. We really need to turn that into a drinking game.

We start counting down again and we're going to have to break this one down because the next entrant is #7 Saba Simba. Now this is Simba's first appearance in the timeline except that's not strictly speaking true because Simba actually showed up in the WM2 battle royal as none other than Tony Atlas. And what have they done with one of the very few African-Americans on their roster? They've dressed him up in a grass skirt and are forcing him to dance around like a tribesman. For gently caress sake. This is offensive and awful on so many levels. It's awful that the WWF thinks this is what will make a black man popular with the fans. It's awful that a black man is being forced to take on this role to have a job. It's awful that the WWF are perpetuating stereotypes that validate the systemic racism inherent in modern society. Everything about this is terrible and racist. Right, back to the actual match. Kerry connects with an atomic drop on Martel that sends flying halfway over the ropes and then he turns to Roma and locks in...

THE CLAWWWWWWW!

#8 Bushwhacker Butch joins the match as Simba goes after Martel. He dumps him over the top rope but falls over as well. Martel manages to save himself on the apron but Simba tumbles over and is gone. Great job establishing the genetic inferiority, guys. Well played. About thirty seconds later Gino forgets that Simba was eliminated and wonders what happened to him. Uh oh, I don't want to start worrying about your mental faculties, Gino.

Out next is #9 Jake “The Snake” Roberts and he gets a big pop because oh boy, you know poo poo's really about to kick off now. Martel sees him coming and meets him head on but Jake strikes back and takes the advantage. He follows up with a gutbuster and a facebuster and then he hits...

THE RAINMAAAAAAAKERRRRRR

Jake calls for the DDT but Martel escapes by sliding out under the bottom rope. Jake chases after him and they get back in the ring where Jake gets interrupted by the other wrestlers. Martel takes the opportunity to have a little rest on the apron but Jake gets free and comes oh so close to knocking him off. Lovely sequence here between these two. It really brought a bit of life and pace to a Rumble that had so far been very low-key.

Roma gets in trouble when Butch gets him close to the top rope but #10 Hercules arrives just in time to make the save. Meanwhile Greg's pushing at Bret with all his might but Bret is just lying across the top +ropes as if he's having a little chill time. Well, I guess he did enter at #1, he's earned it. Back with Martel he traps Jake in the ropes but Kerry comes over to make the save. But he's not going to be able to keep this up for much longer because the next man to join is #11 Tito Santana and we all know what this means.

Happy place, J-Ru! Remember your happy place!

The ring is really starting to fill up now. We could do with some eliminations to thin out the herd a bit. Someone in the back must have heard me because the next entrant is #12 The Undertaker. Aw poo poo, we about to get real here. Taker lives up to billing because the first thing he does is grab Bret and dump him out. Hey! When I said we need to lose some people that wasn't what I had in mind. Taker continues by getting rid of Butch just as #13 Jimmy Snuka is on his way out.

The pace of the match has completely died now. There's still too many dudes in the ring and #14 British Bulldog adds another body to clog things up even further. There's no space, nothing is happening, I'm really not feeling this one. Out next is #15 Smash who has put on a bunch of weight and really shouldn't allowed to wear the gimp harness any more. Martel eats a high knee from Jake that sends him out onto the apron but before Jake can follow up Martel grabs him and pulls him out! Nice! This match is making Martel look like a legit contender. It's the only good thing that's going on in it.

Snuka is amazed by the scent of Arrogance

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Even though I grew up with it as a thing, it still boggles my mind to go back and watch Bret Hart be treated like an afterthought in the WWF. I mean, even as a kid we all knew he was something special, but WWF didn't get the memo for the longest time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Someone post the THAT'S TONY ATLAS clip