Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

I feel like this pushes the min clock to be expected from Zen+ to 4.3Ghz, since exactly how would a 2800X differentiate itself from a 2700X then? +200mhz on base/boost seems about right, XFR to 4.4Ghz and since it's the top non-TR die, 4.5Ghz all core overclock.

Otherwise I think most anyone interested in Ryzen will wait for Zen2, which is surprisingly close so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

No it wasn't hard. At least with the keystones I used. Some might close and lock up in a different way and contact the shielding differently which can effect difficulty though.

The cable I used had wire mesh shielding surrounding all the twisted pairs with each pair individually wrapped in foil too so maybe that effected things as well. The keystones were a clamshell type and came with a copper sheet to wrap around the cut back shielding, holding together, while still allowing it to contact the metal shell of the keystone and go to drain. They locked together with a built in friction clip. For the time they were fairly expensive, I remember paying around $14 a keystone. Googling real quick shows similar ones going for around $6 a pop now. YMMV

Just thinking about stripping the shielding off of 4 pairs per drop with my big ol' sausage fingers and you did 24, so 24 * 2 * 4 = ouch. Could be I just have bad memories from the last time I made my own taps. Ask me about slipping while stripping insulation and jamming the business end of a wire cutter not just into the end of my two fingers but also under a nail!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

I feel like this pushes the min clock to be expected from Zen+ to 4.3Ghz, since exactly how would a 2800X differentiate itself from a 2700X then? +200mhz on base/boost seems about right, XFR to 4.4Ghz and since it's the top non-TR die, 4.5Ghz all core overclock.

Otherwise I think most anyone interested in Ryzen will wait for Zen2, which is surprisingly close so :shrug:

Even 4.4Ghz would make me happy. It'll match this dud 6600k @ 4.4Ghz with twice the cores.

I hope they've tweaked the IMC.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Even 4.4Ghz would make me happy. It'll match this dud 6600k @ 4.4Ghz with twice the cores.

I hope they've tweaked the IMC.

They did, Korean leaks show a huge improvement in latency

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Never trust a semiconductor fab, I'll be surprised if Zen2 will be released before June 2019.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Speaking of: https://videocardz.com/75185/first-benchmarks-of-ryzen-7-2000-cpu-have-been-leaked

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 6, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

Which should also mean Zen+ performance is tied up less in system memory responsiveness.

Arzachel posted:

Never trust a semiconductor fab, I'll be surprised if Zen2 will be released before June 2019.

Speaking of: https://videocardz.com/75185/first-benchmarks-of-ryzen-7-2000-cpu-have-been-leaked

Nah, AMD is dual sourcing 7nm so they are 100% getting it out on time so they can slam dunk Intel on desktop.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I don't know what to say about the other leaks so far, but I'm confident to call bullshit on 4.35ghz at only 1.25 volts. Sandra displays whatever voltage you have when you open the window.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FaustianQ posted:

Nah, AMD is dual sourcing 7nm so they are 100% getting it out on time so they can slam dunk Intel on desktop.

this AMD fanfic is getting increasingly weird

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

no my uncle works at nintendo AMD and its totally true

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
According to u/looncraz on Reddit, it sounds like those scores are equivalent to what he's getting at 4.1 GHz all-core. So I'd hypothesize that 4.4 GHz is the XFR turbo and 4.1 GHz is the all-core turbo there. Of course you should be able to manually overclock all cores to the single-core turbo without much issue.

If the same binning applies to Zen+, that probably means Threadripper 2 hopefully clocks in at 4.7, which is getting close enough to Intel to not really matter.

So... how does Threadripper do in gaming? Any issues in older titles with the NUMA layout/etc?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Cygni posted:

this AMD fanfic is getting increasingly weird

AMD themselves said they'd use both TSMC and GloFo for 7nm??? It also doesn't seem to be out of reach that they'll not only have the better performing node(s) but that an on time Q1 2019 Zen2 will be competing with Coffeelake, which isn't likely to be inspiring as a competitor to Ryzen 3000 series. Like what exactly is Intel going to do with 8700Ks that get their poo poo pushed in on price and perf/watt by R5 3600s? Lower the price? Hahahaha

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i get that youre really into AMD and such but zen 2 like physically does not exist yet. it could be dogshit. it could be cancelled. intel could launch icelake. who knows!

it would be cool if AMD suddenly got IPC/clock competitive, but if intel's 10nm disaster and AMD's bulldozer disaster tells us anything, its to be conservative with getting breathlessly excited about CPU products that may or may not be good/ever exist. AMD hasnt even launched Zen+ yet. lets take it one step at a time.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

They've already taped out Zen2 though and are merely waiting on the foundries?

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_plans_to_tape_out_7nm_products_by_the_end_of_2017/1

That was last year so while I can get being cautious, on the other it seems strange to temper ones expectations that much in this instance.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, it’s strange to say that Zen 2 doesn’t exist when AMD has been saying otherwise for several months. It’s fair to say we haven’t seen any leaked numbers, but calling it a potential Bulldozer-level fiasco when it’s essentially improved Zen is... odd.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

With low enough expectations, one can only be pleasantly surprised.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Did anyone ever nail down the rumour AMD had about "yields being too good" for Zen1?

I'm sure it was just a telephone of some far-more-innocuous statement, like "yields far in excess of projections" or some poo poo like that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Do memory timings affect infinity fabric performance, or only clocks?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, it’s strange to say that Zen 2 doesn’t exist when AMD has been saying otherwise for several months. It’s fair to say we haven’t seen any leaked numbers, but calling it a potential Bulldozer-level fiasco when it’s essentially improved Zen is... odd.

intel taped out cannonlake like 3 years ago, and icelake a year ago. finishing a design does not = launch quality products in the wild, and certainly not on shelves

im not saying its gonna be bulldozer level, im saying getting all hyped up that its gonna obliterate intel is probably not wise considering the history of the CPU industry, and how far away it still is. even as an AMD homer, i would just be 'cautiously optimistic'

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I guess I can understand that, but Cannonlake and Icelake not being out are foundry issues, and if TSMC and GloFo drop the ball on 7nm it's going to get weird for more than AMD.

It's only going to hurt Intel bad if it's Zen2 v Coffeelake, that's my optimistic reading for AMD considering Intel is thinking about releasing Z390 and 8C CFLs later this year, indicating that Icelake is still quite a bit off.

Maybe Intel gets a 10nm product out fast enough it's a non issue, either way I'm only claiming desktop because lmao AMD decided to do a 12nm refresh of Raven Ridge for 2019 so they're going to flail about in mobile again till 2020.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FaustianQ posted:

AMD themselves said they'd use both TSMC and GloFo for 7nm??? It also doesn't seem to be out of reach that they'll not only have the better performing node(s) but that an on time Q1 2019 Zen2 will be competing with Coffeelake, which isn't likely to be inspiring as a competitor to Ryzen 3000 series. Like what exactly is Intel going to do with 8700Ks that get their poo poo pushed in on price and perf/watt by R5 3600s? Lower the price? Hahahaha

Did TSMC buy license for the IBM/Samsung/Glofo 7nm process?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SamDabbers posted:

With low enough expectations, one can only be pleasantly surprised.

Doggone it, you jinxed it

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

So... how does Threadripper do in gaming? Any issues in older titles with the NUMA layout/etc?

Any specific titles? Mine works across a whole range of games.

Tested: BF1, Bad Company 2, Quake 3. Xcom, Xcom 2 and Ori.

Btw: I put it in channel mode, so Windows and Linux see it as a numa system.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 7, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

Here's the tentative list of games that require Game Mode to run:

DiRT Rally
Far Cry Primal

There are a few others that require game mode to not crash after some arbitrary point. Everything should be compatible with game mode.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

wargames posted:

Did TSMC buy license for the IBM/Samsung/Glofo 7nm process?

No, why would that matter? AMD probably has masks for both foundries processes, much like was done for the A9.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Do memory timings affect infinity fabric performance, or only clocks?
Only clocks will effect the IF bus AFAIK.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

The clockspeed of infinity fabric is determined by the memory frequency, but sometimes it's more beneficial to use a lower memory frequency to allow for tighter timings. Before I could hit 3200CL16 with this CMK32GX4M2B3000C15, it was 5% faster to run at 2666CL14 over 2933CL16. That's just comparing firestrike physics scores, actual games/multicore workloads show a more dramatic improvement.

Risky Bisquick posted:

I feel like this will ultimately have more impact than a potential 4350 or 4400mhz ceiling. There's a 25-30% gap between an 1800X@4100 w/ 2133 vs 3600 ram! How much of that was mitigating the shortcomings of the original IMC? That 2700X@4000 w/ 2666CL16 scored a 20400 on firestrike physics. Assuming we retain this kind of perf benefit from faster memory, a 2800X@4350 w/ 3200mhz ram will be within spitting distance of the 1950X's 25700 score!!! I know we're trying to not have any expectations here but this could be pretty sick my dudes

That said, 4350mhz is definitely enough to reach parity with a stock 8700's single threaded perf. The 1800X comes within like 4 or 5% at 4150

I wonder if the 16 phase VRMs on the upcoming X470 boards are a requirement for 4.3ghz all core?? Or is it future proofing for Zen 2

eames
May 9, 2009

A spanish site appears to have the presentation slides.

https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2018/03/exclusiva-familia-amd-ryzen-2000-al-completo-benchmarks-precios-y-fecha-de-lanzamiento/

I'm sure I missed a few things but roughly:

2700X with slightly higher TDP (105W) and a new "Wraith Prism" boxed cooler
X470 offers better auto overclocking (XFR2 Enhanced, Precision Boost Overdrive), optimized memory routing/VRM, bootable NVMe RAID and better idle power efficiency
no 2800X for now

B450 is curiously missing here: "All Ryzen Desktop 2000 Processor are unlocked — overclocking CPU/iGPU requires motherboard support (X470/X370/B350)". I hope that's just an oversight.

eames fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 7, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Will 2700 still be the best choice with manual overclocking, or are the higher R7s much better binned? All things being equal. I guess the new TDPs might change the calculus on this.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 7, 2018

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'd wait to see some reviews. It's possible 12nm LP node allows for much higher clocks, but I'd point out that AMD has fewer SKUs this time and a larger gap between them in performance/price. This might indicate some greater amount of binning going on so non-X models might hit 4.3Ghz across the board, but X models could hit 4.6Ghz or something.

Also, current running theory in reddit circles seems to be the X800 SKUs are being moved to TR as entry level processors for the platform. So basically the future looks like X900 & X800 [TR4], X700, X600 and X500 [AM4 CPU], X400 and below [AM4 APUs].

eames
May 9, 2009

We'll see how well this statement will age: AMD Ryzen 3000: Globalfoundries expects 5.0 GHz for the 7nm process :munch:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

:negative: no 2800X. Is there any meat to that rumor that it'll become a TR4 socket?

I wonder how much of a difference the "optimized memory routing" is good for on X470 boards, the leaked benchmark showing the fixed IMC latency was with an X370 board

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder how far along with Zen 2 they are.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some more slides leaked. I think this first one was already leaked, but has the pricing and full stack:

Another look at the the stack:

And your codename cheatsheet for the next few years:

Also confirms that 2nd gen Threadripper is coming. Also i love that their take on Tick/Tock is apparently going to be "Inflection/Optimization"

e: just noticed it also confirms TR4 and AM4 continuing until 2020.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 8, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Looks more like the tick and tock are together, with the Intel new third step "optimize" kept separate.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the 2600x/2700x might actually come with a cooler this time?

Wraith Prism is the (unreleased) Wraith Max with some LED strips, BTW.

sincx posted:

Isn't there still a ton of problems with EUV?
GloFo 7nm isn't using EUV for the first iteration of its release iirc

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 8, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the 2600x/2700x might actually come with a cooler this time?

Wraith Prism is the (unreleased) Wraith Max with some LED strips, BTW.

GloFo 7nm isn't using EUV for the first iteration of its release iirc

Through holes and Vias is what I read a while back, since it doesn't matter as much if they're a little ratty looking due to quantum electrodynamics and charge tunneling voodoo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sincx posted:

Isn't there still a ton of problems with EUV?
Sorta. The first chips using EUV will probably only use EUV for some parts.

The 7nm from glofo etc is somewhere in the 9nm range aka pretty close to intel's 10nm which is in the 9nm range also.

2018 is the year intel loses their lead either way. This chart is a bit old now, around 6-8 months, I can't find the updated one:

It's what happens in 2020 and beyond that is probably bad for intel.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 8, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Khorne posted:

It's what happens in 2020 and beyond that is probably bad for intel.

I think "we literally cannot shrink the node anymore" is bad for everyone. Intel especially, but no one wins when quantum mechanics punches your engineers in the soft spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021