Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jabarto posted:

I've been trying to make a democratic crusader kind of empire but the militarist faction is really bugging me. I wish their agendas were more about gunboat diplomacy kind of stuff, like having at least 1 titan in your navy, building up to 90% of the forcelimit, allowing military service from all citizens, etc, and a lot less "kill everyone, everywhere, all the time, always, forever". Now that you can only rival empires that directly border you, and only if they're not too strong or weak, it seems like the longer the game goes on the harder it is to keep them happy.

This is extra annoying as a fanatic purifier, because you can't rival anyone at all. There's no way to get the militarists over 60% without capturing alien worlds or killing leviathans, and both are just temporary buffs. Thankfully the xenophobes are pretty much guaranteed to be happy and they're the bulk of your empire so it's not a huge loss. If you go authoritarian you can get a double benefit from capturing worlds because authoritarians love themselves some purges! I do think it would make sense for the militarists to be happy with just being at war, though, since the pacifists freak out even if you're in a defensive war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Hrmm, it seems that as a devouring swarm, invading a planet with pre-sentients doesn't give me food for eating them. Sad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

You could also have some leaders (presumably older ones) start at a higher level.

A smaller change that would still be a nice QoL thing would be letting you swap leaders. So if you clicked your physics guy to switch to another guy with the relevant specialty to a new tech you're researching, if the other guy was already assigned elsewhere the popup would ask you if you want to assign the original physics guy to where the new one used to be. Having to hunt down the right science ship in the outliner is annoying.

Also, I haven't used a single general in 2.0 yet, and I've never had more than two governors, one for the core sector and the other for the non-core sector. They should probably do something to encourage you to have more than one huge sector. I always just end up having up to five admirals, to governors, and a growing collection of scientists with different specialties (who also provide unity with assist research, and also some science if I've bothered to make sure the planet actually has any labs). It feels pretty silly.
:cripes: I knew I was forgetting something. I definitely meant to include a stat level in there. gently caress. I'm so sleep deprived and work has been nuts. Ugh.

Updated:
What we get right now:
You have an open scientist slot... <Click recruit leader button>
1.) Jim Joe Bob | age 25 | Eager skill | cost: 100 Energy
2.) Benny Hill | age 60 | +25 Age cap skill | cost: 100 Energy
3.) Frederick Wester | age 48 | Maniacal | cost: 100 Energy

What I would like the most:
You have an open scientist slot...one has automatically been generated and has been assigned for free. This leader is relatively unremarkable but if they stay in this position they may develop into something remarkable. It is better than no leader but there are other options out there. <Click here to review potential candidates for this position>
pre:
#	Name		Age	Level	Trait(s)			Energy Cost
1.)	Wiz		35	4	Genius, Diligent		275
2.)	Johan 		50	5	Genius, Stubborn		240
3.)	DDR Jake	30	3	Eager, Likes New Mana Bars	225
4.)	QA Intern	22	1	Young				60
5.)	Senior Dev	45	3	Maniacal			175
6.)	Junior Dev	25	2	Dutiful Researcher		80
7.)	Self-taught Dev	30	1	Strong Work Ethic		65
8.)	Junior Dev	26	1	Stubborn			50
This way there would be genuine choice. You could pick a cheaper, younger option who may be around for a while, or a more experienced but expensive option that may not be around a while. I think then costs would have to scale over time, too, so that you dont always pick the highest skill one regardless of cost.

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I don't consider a "peaceful planetary shielding" colossus to be fundamentally different from smashing a planet like a baseball into the sun. Also, it's Fanatically Authoritarian with a dash of peaceful.

hobbesmaster posted:

Encasing in glass counts as "glassing" right.
I had no idea this was a thing.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What does the "congratulations you won" screen actually look like in this game? A single campaign has never held my interest long enough to see it before. Now i'm doing the victory lap in my current one, have beaten the endgame crisis, taken like 70% maybe of the galaxy (i swear there was a place to see this exactly), and broken the back of the two major federations and anyone who could oppose me.
This was the best time according to the game to introduce a bug that gives me the message "The blah blah can now use STOP COLOSSUS casus belli against us!" two times per second forever effectively ending this game unless i want to frustrate myself like gently caress through the spam for like 3+ hours. (deleting the colossi or declaring war on them does not end the spam)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jabarto posted:

I've been trying to make a democratic crusader kind of empire but the militarist faction is really bugging me. I wish their agendas were more about gunboat diplomacy kind of stuff, like having at least 1 titan in your navy, building up to 90% of the forcelimit, allowing military service from all citizens, etc, and a lot less "kill everyone, everywhere, all the time, always, forever". Now that you can only rival empires that directly border you, and only if they're not too strong or weak, it seems like the longer the game goes on the harder it is to keep them happy.

I think gunboat diplomacy needs to be a thing, threatening people to open their borders so I can finish that sweet wildlife acquisition event chain

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dongattack posted:

What does the "congratulations you won" screen actually look like in this game? A single campaign has never held my interest long enough to see it before. Now i'm doing the victory lap in my current one, have beaten the endgame crisis, taken like 70% maybe of the galaxy (i swear there was a place to see this exactly), and broken the back of the two major federations and anyone who could oppose me.
This was the best time according to the game to introduce a bug that gives me the message "The blah blah can now use STOP COLOSSUS casus belli against us!" two times per second forever effectively ending this game unless i want to frustrate myself like gently caress through the spam for like 3+ hours. (deleting the colossi or declaring war on them does not end the spam)
That is supposedly fixed in the beta patch.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That is supposedly fixed in the beta patch.

Doesn't seem like it cause i'm on the latest beta patch.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dongattack posted:

The situation log has a tab at the bottom for victory conditions that will tell you how close you are to winning. You only need 40% of habitable planets to win so you should be really close.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

That reminds me, I was thinking about how the fiction behind the hiring process is slightly weird now that it's energy credits. When it was influence based it was kind of open ended as to how it worked. Now? You're giving some scientist a one time payment of one-fifth the monthly output of an entire star in return for them working for you unto death.

This came to mind after I kept extending my leaders' lifespans over and over until I ultimately rendered them into immortal machines and they, presumably, realised 200 energy / infinity years is a considerably different lifestyle to the 200 energy / 100ish years they'd initially budgeted for.

I just assume the costs are all the associated energy costs of raising, building, training and programming (delete as needed) a new leader. The actual resources for supporting/paying a leader are so low compared with the operating costs of an entire space civilization, I see them as abstracted away as a rounding error. :v:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Dongattack posted:

What does the "congratulations you won" screen actually look like in this game?

It's a summary screen of how many planets, pops, ships, and tech score each empire had when you won, with buttons to continue playing or quit to the main menu.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Nevets posted:

It's a summary screen of how many planets, pops, ships, and tech score each empire had when you won, with buttons to continue playing or quit to the main menu.

Meh, i'll just say that i won and move on to a new game then. Can't get achievements anyway since Paradox are so stingy with them :bahgawd:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So, what would you guys say is the ideal galaxy size to play in? I know the game defaults to large, but I feel like the dates are ticking by slower than they did in 1.9... I guess it could be that I’m playing more attention to them, though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dongattack posted:

Doesn't seem like it cause i'm on the latest beta patch.

checksum 5781? The fix for that one should have come out this morning. Next to the last line of the patch notes.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-0-2-beta-patch-updated-6-3-2018-checksum-5781.1076103/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

checksum 5781? The fix for that one should have come out this morning. Next to the last line of the patch notes.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-team-2-0-2-beta-patch-updated-6-3-2018-checksum-5781.1076103/

Yep! Didn't work for my game at least.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Hahaha I went from having like +950 Naval capacity from vassals to +158 :suicide:

Luckily my empire is rich enough to afford it in the short-term but some anchorages are in my future I imagine.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trip report using that building mod:
No improvement at all. It's mid-late game and my eyes have turned to my neighbours, most of their planets have loving unemployed people on them. They can afford 20k stacks but they can't toss an energy plant or something on a blank tile? My sectors had the same problem, sitting on 5000 minerals they ignored unemployed pops on blank tiles. Just build something, anything, a farm, a mine, a lab, something. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than vanilla at this point.

Also for fun instead of making a sector I colonized a big area, nearly doubled the size of my empire, built it up, then released the whole thing as a big 5 planet vassal, feeding it a huge amount of systems. Their happiness instantly plummeted from 100% to 55% as they turned off Utopian Abundance. I fed them about 20k minerals but they still sat there with empty tiles and unemployed pops on some of their planets. Eventually it built a single farm on an +2 food tile, and built a galactic stock exchange on top of an existing power plant when 2 free tiles with unemployed pops sat there.

It really takes me out of the game seeing this vassal so poorly manage its happiness and resources. I'll have to annex it asap to rescue all those pops from the miserable AI who can't maintain the simple paradise I left it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 7, 2018

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I've seen both empty planets and planets paved with power plants. I'm wondering if empty planets is stage 1 of the problem: the AI decides it doesn't have enough energy income to support a new mine, but wants to build one there to take advantage of the tile bonus so it leaves it undeveloped. Stage 2 is when an energy shortage becomes enough of a problem that it has to ignore the tile bonuses and just spam power plants everywhere. Maybe it's a problem with games that upgraded to the beta version halfway through and AI empires hadn't counted on the huge hit from outposts now having maintenance.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

Hrmm, it seems that as a devouring swarm, invading a planet with pre-sentients doesn't give me food for eating them. Sad.

They haven't properly aged.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The "Conformist" species trait affects my pops only, so that means that with that trait they are less likely to deviate to having other Ethics choices from the Ethics Wheel, right? Is it worth taking?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The "Conformist" species trait affects my pops only, so that means that with that trait they are less likely to deviate to having other Ethics choices from the Ethics Wheel, right? Is it worth taking?

If you are worried about your pops falling prey to false ideologies it's a good pick. Honestly the whole ethos flipping system is so opaque I have no idea it's its worth it. I get almost the exact same faction support spread by the end game regardless of taking conformist or trying to support/suppress factions. The game absolutely doesn't want you to have a ideologically consistent society and will just flip vast segments of your population the moment some trigger has been reached.

Allowed a single xeno into your empire? Congrats, like 20% of your population suddenly become xenophiles. In a seemingly endless brutal war against marauders, pirates, and space creatures? Those don't count as wars, enjoy 20% of your population suddenly flipping pacifist. Had a few wars? Surprise, huge chunk of your population have taken up the militarist faction which will never ever be happy or give you influence because of the new rival system.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

My sectors had the same problem, sitting on 5000 minerals they ignored unemployed pops on blank tiles. Just build something, anything, a farm, a mine, a lab, something. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than vanilla at this point.

I have never seen this happen in vanilla 2.0, not for a long time before that either. Maybe Utopia? Sectors are perfectly capable of building up a decent planet from scratch, it won't be perfectly min maxed but that's the way it should be. If there are unemployed pops it's because there is something else being built at the time, I have noticed that sectors tend to prefer upgrades over new buildings so sometimes it takes a while for them to fill everything in but they get there. Also, nowadays you can manually intervene and set your sector's build queue for them if you want.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

If you are worried about your pops falling prey to false ideologies it's a good pick. Honestly the whole ethos flipping system is so opaque I have no idea it's its worth it. I get almost the exact same faction support spread by the end game regardless of taking conformist or trying to support/suppress factions. The game absolutely doesn't want you to have a ideologically consistent society and will just flip vast segments of your population the moment some trigger has been reached.

Allowed a single xeno into your empire? Congrats, like 20% of your population suddenly become xenophiles. In a seemingly endless brutal war against marauders, pirates, and space creatures? Those don't count as wars, enjoy 20% of your population suddenly flipping pacifist. Had a few wars? Surprise, huge chunk of your population have taken up the militarist faction which will never ever be happy or give you influence because of the new rival system.
Interesting, thank you for the info.

In other news:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Free ringworld! At a later date. In the meantime, enjoy your hassle-free chokepoint.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magil Zeal posted:

Free ringworld! At a later date. In the meantime, enjoy your hassle-free chokepoint.
Both my guaranteed same-type planets were size 10 and there was some other bad news stuff so I quit the game :shrug:

They really need to work on adding that constellation logic that someone mentioned because I find myself restarting games if I am in a messy spot, but dropping density down to 75 is just far too low :\

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

In my experience conformist doesn't make a huge difference, but it's a complex system. Basically the way the system works is that each pop has a chance to change ethics on a regular basis. Not sure how often, think it was once a year at one point but that may have changed. When that chance comes around there's a dice roll and the pop might shift to a new ethic based on its current attraction to that ethic. Your pops will be most attracted to ethics matching your government type at first, but the farther they get from the capital the more likely they are to stray. You can also get modifiers to ethic attraction from unrest or events. If enough pops switch ethics, a new faction is formed and then you can either try to please them, ignore them or suppress the faction which is a major malus to that ethic's attraction. In my experience, if you have a solid amount of governing ethics attraction from black sites and such (conformist helps slightly here), suppressing a faction usually slowly erodes their support and they switch back to the government ethics. Sometimes the faction disappears entirely. If it's just a handful of pops in a large empire they can be safely ignored.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Playing rogue servitor for the first time, is it a good idea to let my initial pops breed a bit or should I focus on finding more?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gadzuko posted:

In my experience conformist doesn't make a huge difference, but it's a complex system. Basically the way the system works is that each pop has a chance to change ethics on a regular basis. Not sure how often, think it was once a year at one point but that may have changed. When that chance comes around there's a dice roll and the pop might shift to a new ethic based on its current attraction to that ethic. Your pops will be most attracted to ethics matching your government type at first, but the farther they get from the capital the more likely they are to stray. You can also get modifiers to ethic attraction from unrest or events. If enough pops switch ethics, a new faction is formed and then you can either try to please them, ignore them or suppress the faction which is a major malus to that ethic's attraction. In my experience, if you have a solid amount of governing ethics attraction from black sites and such (conformist helps slightly here), suppressing a faction usually slowly erodes their support and they switch back to the government ethics. Sometimes the faction disappears entirely. If it's just a handful of pops in a large empire they can be safely ignored.

I actually managed to successfully root out pacifism in my empire a while ago. I didn't go to war for long enough so the faction popped up and went from 1 member to about 20 over night. I instantly got into a war, suppressed the faction, supported the two official factions (not sure if this helps or not), built blacksites everywhere, gene-modded everyone conformist, and a good century later I noticed the pacifist faction didn't even exist anymore!!

Still, it's a very opaque system that's not fun to interact with. Give me something more black and white. Let me spend influence to directly change a pop's ethos, something more concrete. Just tell me the cost, tell me what to do to get the result I want and let me decide if the price is worth it.

*edit*
Also this Glavius's AI mod guy seems pretty cool, I reported my results with his mod and he instantly looked into it and let me know there's actually some bugs in a release he just pushed out last night along with the beta update.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 7, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just turn on selective purging and stamp out undesirable factions that way, comrade.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jabor posted:

Just turn on selective purging and stamp out undesirable factions that way, comrade.

Can't do that because my egalitarian faction will get mad. I don't know why I can't selectively purge with displacement. The whole faction demands and policies/species rights is a real confusing mess of arbitrary limitations. It's too many systems and options taped onto the original game design to work in an elegant or intuitive way. I love the idea of species rights and factions and all these policies, I just hate how it's been implemented.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Anyone else have weird pathfinding issues in 2.0?

Here's a clear view of the connections:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just accept that, yeah, some people are just crazy and won't be happy. It's not worth dealing with them.

If I'm authoritarian I just enslave them, otherwise...whatever.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fart Cannon posted:

Anyone else have weird pathfinding issues in 2.0?

Here's a clear view of the connections:

There are clearly FTL inhibitors between you and the destination thing along one path. The other goes through a system you've marked as no-go.

So there isn't a path to get there.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like the UI for FTL inhibitors needs to be more obvious in what it’s doing, like marking the hyperlanes themselves or something. We might be getting close to the double digits of people asking that question. Hell, it confused me for a while because I was hyper-focused on a different war front.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Both my guaranteed same-type planets were size 10 and there was some other bad news stuff so I quit the game :shrug:

They really need to work on adding that constellation logic that someone mentioned because I find myself restarting games if I am in a messy spot, but dropping density down to 75 is just far too low :\

83% seems like it would be around the sweet spot.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

There are clearly FTL inhibitors between you and the destination thing along one path. The other goes through a system you've marked as no-go.

So there isn't a path to get there.

It wouldn’t let me jump to xolton, the first one adjacent, either. It worked after I took the planet on jhapp??

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fart Cannon posted:

It wouldn’t let me jump to xolton, the first one adjacent, either. It worked after I took the planet on jhapp??

Jhapp has an inhibitor. You can't leave the system (except the way you came) unless you take out the inhibitor(s) in the system. Starbases and/or planets can have them.

It's the U icon kind of under the fleet icons.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fart Cannon posted:

there are two sources of FTL inhibition: starbases and stronghold buildings. only outposts or planets without strongholds can be bypassed - if either is present in a system, it prevents further movement. the magnet icon next to a system indicates an active inhibitor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fart Cannon posted:

Right, you blew up the FTL inhibitor on the starbase and controlled the FTL inhibitor on the planet. I'm guessing you blew up the starbase FTL inhibitor in the next system but there wasn't a fortress on the planet.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Thanks guys, I loaded an old save to check and there was a fortress on the planet. This also explains why sometimes fleets take circular routes around systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

goddamn late game wars are kind of miserable, I just want to vassalise/wipe out these tiny dudes but in order to do it I have to occupy every single planet belonging to their big federation friends on the other side of the galaxy who aren't helping them and don't care, otherwise their occupation warscore thing never goes above like 6% BECAUSE THEY'RE SO TINY

Just status quo end the war and you keep all the systems.