Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SpitztheGreat posted:

All these old videos have been a jarring reminder for safety overall- but for me the most noticeable are the non-SAFER barrier walls. They haven't been everywhere all that long, but holy poo poo I had forgotten how hard a concert wall is. We all remember Gordon's wreck at Vegas not that many years ago, but it has been a long time since the outside corners didn't have SAFER barriers- and seeing some of these wrecks it's perplexing how no one thought about/demanded doing it earlier.

The thing that amazes me is the drivers want more of it, it's that good. FIA and the ACO have looked at SAFER and installed it at F1 tracks and Le Mans, usually in areas where it's a high speed corner with not much runoff.

I'm surprised Indy hasn't put it around the entirety of IMS yet, given they were the main driving force behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Elitist Bitch posted:

I think of that often. We lost Kenny Irwin and the King's grandson in a very short time and nothing. But we lose Senior and poo poo loving happens. I hate that we lost them, and I especially hate it that it took Dale dying for things to change. If HANS devices had been required years ago we could be celebrating the tail end of Adam's career now and Dale could be crotchety on Twitter.

Same with F1, do we think we'd have seen half those changes in the last 20 years if Ayrton's suspension had flown 2 feet further left and it was "only" Roland that died.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I do miss the wall of champions though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

not nascar but Dan Wheldon ranks as the stupidest most pointless motorsports death of my lifetime. They'd already fixed everything in the next version of the car, largely from his own input, but just had to run a dumbass gimmick race to close out the season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

shame on an IGA posted:

not nascar but Dan Wheldon ranks as the stupidest most pointless motorsports death of my lifetime. They'd already fixed everything in the next version of the car, largely from his own input, but just had to run a dumbass gimmick race to close out the season.

Yeah, it's why Will Power is really, really pushing for a windscreen, which may have saved Dan.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

I would go with Justin Wilson

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wilson's death was just inherent to open wheel racing on ovals, it was unfortunate, but not like, totally preventable. It's like a bike fatality where someone falls off a bike and gets hit, if you do racing with an open-cockpit car, you're going to run the risk of poo poo hitting the driver's head.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
It was really Henry Surtees death that should have been the time open cockpits should have been looked at. I also wonder what a real world scenario where a wheel hits a halo or canopy at full speed and how they really hold up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wilson's death was just inherent to open wheel racing on ovals, it was unfortunate, but not like, totally preventable. It's like a bike fatality where someone falls off a bike and gets hit, if you do racing with an open-cockpit car, you're going to run the risk of poo poo hitting the driver's head.

Justin wilson didnt die on an oval

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exploded mummy posted:

Justin wilson didnt die on an oval

Are you making a joke or just being a pedantic rear end in a top hat

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Are you making a joke or just being a pedantic rear end in a top hat

It was Pocono, so little of column A, little of column B.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean the point is that when you crash there it's very likely to send lots of debris flying on the track as opposed to a road course.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If Pocono isn't "an oval" then neither are any of the tri-ovals.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is interesting

https://twitter.com/nascaronnbc/status/970808983060545536?s=21

It only flexes at speed so pre and post race inspections don't catch it. Pretty genius to drop it at the beginning of the western swing since everybody has their cars built for the next 3 races.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cheating is badass

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Cheating is badass

Hell yeah, unless the Toyotas do it, in which case NASCAR is being ruined by those awful Japs

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

As it turns out, Chase Elliott's team was talking about it during Sunday's race.

The same Chase Elliott who had a roof flap popped up one year in 500 qualifying?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

The same Chase Elliott who had a roof flap popped up one year in 500 qualifying?

And tape on his spoiler or something that one time.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

This is interesting

https://twitter.com/nascaronnbc/status/970808983060545536?s=21

It only flexes at speed so pre and post race inspections don't catch it. Pretty genius to drop it at the beginning of the western swing since everybody has their cars built for the next 3 races.

Welcome to NASCAR, Adrian Newey

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Chase was just bitching that they were not smart enough to cheat that way.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elephanthead posted:

Chase was just bitching that they were not smart enough to cheat that way.

I don't think any amount of cheating would help Chase though.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol that's awesome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it'll be hilarious if Harvick walks over this season because all the other experienced drivers lost their rides for what seems to basically be cost cutting

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it'll be hilarious if Harvick walks over this season because all the other experienced drivers lost their rides for what seems to basically be cost cutting

It's been really obvious trying to play fantasy Nascar this year. There used to be a pretty solid delineation between A, B, and C groups... now it's like five drivers and "Ehhhhh..... I haven't used Jeffery Earnhardt yet..."

It's depressing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hell yeah, unless the Toyotas do it, in which case NASCAR is being ruined by those awful Japs

same but reversed

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"My spotter used to sit up there during practice at Daytona and 'dega and give me a number, 0 to 3, and it was how many Bodines were on the track at the time. If he said 3 I wouldn't pull out of pit road." - Tony Stewart in iracing voice chat

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hey Geoff was pretty good

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Just want to share this excellent picture of BP

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I miss BP. :eng99:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Don't we all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKk3H7yqZas

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mischief posted:

It's been really obvious trying to play fantasy Nascar this year. There used to be a pretty solid delineation between A, B, and C groups... now it's like five drivers and "Ehhhhh..... I haven't used Jeffery Earnhardt yet..."

It's depressing.

lol, Jeffery Earnhardt... He hasn't wrecked out yet as far as I know. That's about the best you can say about his performances :smug:

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Holy loving poo poo, that Mikey wreck.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

HoF Nominees
Harry Gant
Jeff Gordon
John Holman
Ralph Moody
Kirk Shelmerdine
Davey Allison
Buddy Baker
Red Farmer
Ray Fox
Joe Gibbs
Harry Hyde
Alan Kulwicki
Bobby Labonte
Hershel McGriff
Roger Penske
Larry Phillips
Jack Roush
Ricky Rudd
Mike Stefanik
Waddell Wilson

Landmark Award Nominees
Janet Guthrie
Alvin Hawkins
Ralph Seagraves
Barney Hall
Jim Hunter

There'll only be four to debate because know Gordon will be the fifth.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 7, 2018

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

NASCAR 2018: #2Kes1Cup

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

There'll only be four to debate because know Gordon will be the fifth.

Gordon
Gibbs
Penske
Roush
Kulwicki

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Guys, I'm going to Richmond for the April race. Where should I sit? I'm thinking the Commonwealth Tower would be awesome. See the whole track without ever having to turn your head!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If only we still had segments in races like this. Now instead of benny parsons checking out local food joints we get Jeff Gordon driving the pace car around the track giving talking points on why the car is awesome.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

As a very foreign, very casual viewer of Nascar on and off for 25 years now, let me assure you Benny Parsons was a goddamn national treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My dad went to Bristol every year for a long time. One year he happened to stay at the same hotel as Benny Parsons and ran into him at the hotel gym using the treadmills. He said Benny just BS-ed with him the whole time and couldn't have been nicer. It absolutely made his trip that year.