Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Way to go Lone Wolf. You've killed off an entire species through your actions!

Help. It's not like we bothered to stick around and defend the city BEFORE we went off to loot something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Support our troops!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Help the soldiers.
What kind of Kai Lord runs away?

Also, is this the first time we've heard of "The Great God" Kai? I don't know that I recall Kai ever being specifically defined as an actual deity before now...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

You chill with your god in the later books.

Help the soldiers.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Help evacuate the wounded, of course.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The_White_Crane posted:

Also, is this the first time we've heard of "The Great God" Kai? I don't know that I recall Kai ever being specifically defined as an actual deity before now...
The first book refers to "the monastery of Kai" in the Story So Far section, which suggests it's the name of a god, but isn't definitive. Book eight's Story So Far translates "kai" as "sun" and concludes with the line "May the Gods Ishir and Kai protect you on your journey into darkness." There may be an earlier reference as well though, I didn't check thoroughly.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

The first book refers to "the monastery of Kai" in the Story So Far section, which suggests it's the name of a god, but isn't definitive. Book eight's Story So Far translates "kai" as "sun" and concludes with the line "May the Gods Ishir and Kai protect you on your journey into darkness." There may be an earlier reference as well though, I didn't check thoroughly.

Ahh, I'd missed the one in book 8.
I did remember the "monastery of Kai", but I'd always kinda figured it was like a shaolin monastery or a benedictine monastery; named for the order, rather than for a deity.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

That reference in Book 8 is the first time Kai is referred to as a god specifically; before that, all references are just "gods be praised", "gods be with you", etc.

Book 9 starts with the same "Gods Ishir and Kai protect you" and further has references to "the Goddess Ishir" and the one we saw for "the great God Kai." In Book 10 the "Magnakai Wisdom" section changes from "May the spirit of your ancestors guide you on the path of the Magnakai." to "May the spirit of your ancestors and the wisdom of the great God Kai guide you on the path of the Magnakai." Beyond that we're in spoiler territory.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 5, 2018

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
One great mistery from the Italian translation was the change of Kai in Ramas. So Italian fans of the story (there are many) normally refer to Lone Wolf as the Ramas Great Master.

Help the soldiers!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Cauldron of Fear posted:

The first floor is soon set ablaze as the wind whips the roof fire into a raging inferno. A soldier, his face and uniform completely blackened by soot, staggers down the stairs and collapses into your arms.

‘The captain’s up there … ’ he croaks, his throat burned from inhaling the scorching air. ‘He went to save his brother just before the roof caught.’

You focus your improved Nexus Mastery at the flames that engulf the top of the staircase. Within a few seconds they flicker and die, allowing you to reach the first floor in safety. The captain is crouched over his brother, protecting him with his body from the fiery debris that is raining down from the roof. Swiftly you pull him to his feet and motion him to help carry his wounded brother out of the house. As you reach the street below, the roof collapses and the whole of the first floor is swallowed by flame.

‘We owe you our lives,’ says the captain, gratefully, as his men load his brother onto an open-backed wagon. ‘I must return to my command at the North Gate—will you join me? I would be honoured to fight by your side.’
Shall we go with him to the North Gate or leave him and make for the West Gate?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
West Gate is left and plot-mandatory. I've had enough of this obvious optional quest.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

Shall we go with him to the North Gate or leave him and make for the West Gate?

Yay we made a new friend! Let's go along with him and see how long he survives....

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

achtungnight posted:

West Gate is left and plot-mandatory. I've had enough of this obvious optional quest.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Unlocked a new path, let's check it out. Northgate.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Nexus did a thing. Let's Go to the Northgate and figure out if it was at all worthwhile.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Broken Box posted:

Nexus did a thing. Let's Go to the Northgate and figure out if it was at all worthwhile.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
In for a penny, in for a pound. North.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Broken Box posted:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Broken Box posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

Well, it's kind of a shortcut, if you consider that worthwhile.

The wagon races along the rubble-strewn street towards a tower, one of many that reinforce the city wall. Standing at the top of the tower is your companion, Banedon. You ask the captain to stop and let you speak to your old friend, but he refuses even to slow down. ‘I must reach the North Gate without delay!’ he bellows, and whips the horses to increase their speed.
Should we jump off the wagon or stay on and go to the north gate?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
He paid for our food so let's jump off.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
e: Just to be different...

Let’s see what happens. Stay on.

nelson fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 6, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Jump off! Banedon is plot, this guy is gonna die.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
If the plot is literally standing there waving at you, it's probably a random ignominious death to ignore it. Off we hop.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Maugrim posted:

If the plot is literally standing there waving at you, it's probably a random ignominious death to ignore it. Off we hop.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Banedon is a big fireball-chucking wizard boy who can look after himself. Let's see what's going on at the North Gate!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maugrim posted:

It is.

You search the road ahead for somewhere soft to land, but the surface is strewn with sharp boulders.

We roll: 3 +3 (Huntmastery) = 6.

You land heavily among the rocks and debris, gashing open both knees and your chin before rolling to a halt at the base of the tower wall (lose 4 ENDURANCE points).

Endurance: 33/37.

The iron door to the tower is unlocked and you enter unopposed. At the top of the steep stone steps you find a ladder to a trapdoor. Quickly you climb the ladder and emerge onto the roof. ‘By the gods!’ exclaims Banedon, when you appear. ‘My prayers have been answered. You are alive, Lone Wolf. You are alive!’ Tears of joy fill his eyes as he welcomes your return warmly.

He and his mentor Chiban have been viewing the siege from this vantage point for the last three days. From this position they control the movement of the few reserves allocated to the north and west city walls, using them to fill in the gaps where the enemy’s attacks have weakened the defences. Banedon recounts how the siege has progressed; how twice the enemy has broken into the city and been repelled by the determined defenders. Attacks from the air have set the city ablaze, but the enemy has lost great numbers of their flying Kraan, and now they are too weak to dare use the few that remain. The Anarium was destroyed in the first few hours of the siege and many senators lost their lives, including Senator Chil and President Toltuda.

Then he asks of your quest and is overjoyed to hear of its success. ‘The gods smile on you, Lone Wolf. So long as you live there is hope for us all.’

Healing: +1 EP (34/37).

Relentlessly the enemy pour their fire upon the north and west city walls, until the black sky above Tahou takes on a vivid scarlet glow. The defenders look to their weapons uneasily and pray that the gods are with them, at least until dawn. And when the first rays of dawn light show above the eastern hills, no mists enshroud the armies of Darklord Gnaag—they are massed in all their glory, awaiting the order to attack. You cast your eye across this sea of doom and mark the many regiments of evil that are ranged against the walls of Tahou.

The armoured legions of Vassagonia are the first to advance, moving in ordered columns towards the West Gate. At their head walks a figure sheathed in gold around whom a cold blue fire glows intensely. He strides within range of the city archers and they send a cloud of arrows to greet him, but these shatter and crackle when they encounter his impregnable glowing shield. He crosses the siege bridge and halts before the West Gate. In his hand is an orb of black metal. He holds it before him and mouths an incantation. Instantly a bolt of scarlet flame lances from the orb, destroying the great doors with a thunderous boom. Proudly he strides into the city and the defenders melt before him. One summons enough courage to attack him with a spear. There is a crackling flash and in an instant the soldier is transformed into a pile of glowing ash.

He advances unchecked and undaunted by all attacks, for they cannot penetrate his magical shield. Only when he comes face to face with you does he stop.

‘I have come for you, Lone Wolf,’ he says, a cruel smile on his lips. You gaze into the ice-cold eyes of Zakhan Kimah, ruler of Vassagonia. As he raises his orb of black metal, you steel yourself for the battle that is about to commence.

Healing: +1 EP (35/37).

A bolt of scarlet fire surges from the orb and speeds towards your head. You counter the attack but the bolt changes course in mid-flight, catching you off-balance. A searing pain tears into your arm as it glances from your shoulder and explodes somewhere in the street behind: lose 5 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 30/37.

The Zakhan gloats over your pain and moves forward to exploit his advantage. You grit your teeth and raise your sword to defend yourself against his attack. You are aware of the Zakhan’s troops fighting a desperate battle at the West Gate, and you know that you must defeat him or the city will be lost.

Zakhan Kimah: COMBAT SKILL 39 ENDURANCE 46

He is immune to Mindblast and Psi-surge.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: -10

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 0

Well, that's embarrassing.

Death count: 11.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 16, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tiggum posted:

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: -10

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 0

Well, that's embarrassing.

Par for the course for the Zakhan, though.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm confused there is nothing to vote for.

Press buttons at random

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This SOB is why I voted to leave the Sommerswerd behind. I feel safe admitting that now. It's a lot easier fight if you don't have it or choose not to use it.

Somehow I won this fight the first time I did it using the Sommerswerd- I was really lucky with the d10 that day. Every other time, it's taken multiple tries or pretending I don't have the Swerd to win.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK so this fight is basically unwinnable. Technically it is possible to win, but it's highly unlikely. If Kimah had the same amount Endurance as Lone Wolf you'd still have to roll an average of 8 or higher every round to do more damage to him than he does to you, rather than the actual average roll on a d10, which is 5.5. Our Combat Skill could be higher - if we'd rolled the maximum to begin with and not been blown up in the swamp, plus if we'd chosen to complete the Lore Circles of Spirit and Fire and found the Silver Helm in book three then our current Combat Skill for this fight would be 37. But if we'd made those exact same choices and been unlucky with our Combat Skill roll in book one then our current Combat Skill would be 28. So perfect play and perfect luck makes this fight easy, but our combat Skill of 29 (not including Mindblast) is probably pretty average for this point - maybe slightly low if you consider that most people probably don't lose the three permanently in book 8 - but not by a huge amount.

But there are other versions of this fight - if you don't have the Sommerswerd. If this is the first (or only) Lone Wolf book you played then you need the psychic ring. Without it you're just automatically dead. With it the Zakhan's stats are COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 38. This is still a basically unwinnable fight. Without the bonuses from the Sommerswerd or other items/disciplines from previous books the highest Lone Wolf's stats can be is COMBAT SKILL 23 ENDURANCE 29 and an average Combat Skill score is more likely to be around 18 - which gives the Zakhan the maximum advantage on the Combat Results Table.

But if you did play the previous books and for some reason you either skipped book two, lost the Sommerswerd, or chose not to bring it with you, but you did bring the Dagger of Vashna then you get the option to throw it at Kimah - which is a single die roll to determine the outcome of the fight. You need a 5 or higher (0 counts as 0, not 10) and get +3 for Weaponmastery and +1 for the Circle of Fire (Weaponmastery & Huntmastery), so that's a 50%, 60%, 80% or 90% chance of victory - which even at the lowest is better odds than using the Sommerswerd or psychic ring.

You can also fight him with the Dagger, in which case his stats are COMBAT SKILL 30 ENDURANCE 38, which you may notice is worse than if you used the psychic ring, despite the fact that the dagger itself grants no combat bonuses. Now if you've got the dagger then you've obviously completed at least some of the previous books, but without that +8 CS from the Sommerswerd you're still likely going to have a Combat Skill in the low twenties. So once again it's a bullshit fight unless you've played perfectly up to this point.

With the benefit of hindsight you can, of course, choose to leave the Sommerswerd at home and bring the Dagger of Vashna with you, but that does make every fight leading up to this one more difficult and in our case still only leaves us with a combat ratio of -9 - which is exactly the same outcome as -10. But if we hadn't gotten blown up in book 8 then it'd be -6, which is not quite so harsh, but our starting Combat Skill was above average so we're really not suffering too much (compared to the average player) for that mistake. So even if you metagame it and leave your best weapon at home for no reason it's still a bullshit fight.

All of this to say, gently caress it, we win the fight. Because there's no reasonable way to avoid it and even if you do you still die at least 10% of the time. That's just some really bad design.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

At the very moment of his death, the shimmering web of energy that encases the Zakhan’s body flares with a scarlet brilliance so intense that you are forced to avert your eyes for fear of it blinding you. The light surges and fades, leaving behind a mound of glowing fragments that crumble and dissolve noisily until all that remains of the Zakhan and the Orb of Death is a dark stain on the earth where they fell.

Spurred on by your triumph, the Anarian defenders rally themselves and counterattack to secure the West Gate. The Vassagonians who gained entry are either killed or forced back into the moat as the gate is quickly retaken. A cheer resounds from the city wall, a cheer that becomes a chant carrying word of Kimah’s demise to the enemy beyond the moat, and gradually the advancing legions slow to a halt as their hope of an easy victory dies. Officers ride to and fro, cursing and threatening their men with all manner of punishment, but their morale is severely shaken; the ranks of armoured warriors merely stand in shocked silence and refuse to advance. The sound of distant trumpets is heard and all eyes turn to the south to see wave upon wave of mounted warriors emerging from the hills around Varta. They pour from every valley and pass to fill the southern flats with regiments of horsemen resplendent in uniforms of blue, white, and grey.

‘Our prayers have been answered,’ says Chiban, as he and Banedon rejoin you at the city wall. ‘Behold, the allies of Anari have come to aid us in our darkest hour.’ He points to the advancing cavalry and you recognize, fluttering from their lances, the battle standards of three countries: Firalond, Lourden, and Kakush. Then the thunder of their horses’ hooves fills the air and a wave of joy surges through you as you witness their first charge devastate the enemy’s ranks, throwing them into chaos and confusion. A great battle ensues as the enemy slowly gather themselves to resist this unexpected assault. By noon two of their armies have been smashed and routed, and the third fights a desperate rearguard action as it covers the chaotic retreat westwards.

At last the fighting around the city comes to an end, and the defenders give voice to their elation that their home has been saved from the hordes of Darklord Gnaag. Senator Zilaris proclaims you ‘the saviour of Tahou’, and the victorious cheers of the citizens echo through the burning streets and across the flats that lie strewn with enemy dead. (If any of your Weapons or weapon-like Special Items were confiscated by the South Gate Guard, they are now gratefully returned to you.) You gaze at this grim panorama and your blood runs cold. But it is not the sight of the carnage that grips you with fear, it is your growing awareness of a powerful evil that is taking shape above the West Gate. A billowing black cloud forms in the sky, and from out of this cloud there comes a harsh and terrible voice.

‘I will be avenged,’ it booms, its resonance shaking the battlements on which you stand. You steel yourself, half expecting a bolt of lightning to leap from the cloud and hurtle towards you, but no such attack materializes. Instead, the chilling voice continues in a mocking tone. ‘Know this: you will pay for your defiance with your life. I, Gnaag of Mozgôar, have the three remaining Lorestones that you seek, and I shall destroy them when I destroy you, Kai Lord.’

A gust of wind catches the cloud and it clears swiftly, but it leaves behind a numbing dread that fills your heart, for you sense that the words were no idle threat—the terrible voice of Darklord Gnaag spoke the truth.

Your quest has succeeded, for the wisdom and strength of the Lorestone of Tahou is now a part of your body and spirit, and your defeat of Zakhan Kimah has turned the tide of war decisively against the Darkland armies. But the shocking news that the Darklords now possess the remaining Lorestones of Nyxator heralds the start of a new and deadly perilous episode of the Magnakai quest.

If you have the courage of a true Kai Master, the challenge of recovering the last Lorestones from the clutches of your mortal enemies awaits you, beginning in Book 10 of the Lone Wolf series, entitled:

The Dungeons of Torgar

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This is the moment I got my second Sommerswerd bow and dagger. It gave me the option to look at the objects and there they were.
Are you playing this in books or an app?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Final stats for The Cauldron of Fear:

Action Chart
    Combat Skill: 31 (16)
    Endurance Points: 0/37 (31)

Kai/Magnakai Disciplines
  1. Weaponmastery (+3 CS w/ bow, sword, warhammer, dagger, mace & axe, -2 CS when unarmed)
    Weaponskill (+2 CS w/ spears)
  2. Huntmastery
  3. Invisibility
  4. Nexus
  5. Pathsmanship
  6. Psi-screen
  7. Animal Kinship
  8. Healing (Regain 1 EP per section)
  9. Mindblast (+2 CS)
  10. Sixth Sense
    Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS)
  2. Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)
    Gold Crowns (money): 43
    Special Items:
  1. Helmet (+2 EP)
  2. Shield (+2 CS)
  3. Firesphere
  4. The Dagger of Vashna
  5. Invitation
  6. Psychic Ring

7. Quiver (6/6 arrows)
  8. Fireseeds (7)
  9. Kazan-Oud Platinum Amulet
  10. Chainmail Waistcoat (+4 EP)
  11. Receipt
    Notable Events:
  • Found a psychic ring
  • Received the Lorestone of Tahou

Kills:
  • Thirteen giaks
  • A doomwolf
  • A sallow-faced knave
  • Two ghouls
  • A psi-ghoul
  • Two crocaryx
  • Zakhan Kimah

Deaths: 1
  • Absolutely destroyed by Zakhan Kimah - obviously.

Storage:
    Weapons:
  • Jewelled Mace
    Special Items:
  • Port Bax White Pass
  • Port Bax Red Pass
  • Gaoler's Keys
  • Three Copper Keys
  • Ornate Silver Key
  • Blue Stone Triangle
  • Cess
  • Ticket to Eula
  • Power-key
  • Padded Leather Waistcoat (+2 EP)
  • Vial of Gnadurn Sap
  • Badge of Rank
  • Pass
  • Prism
  • Lodestone (Vordaks; Talestria)
    Backpack Items:
  • Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  • Map of Tekaro
  • Lantern

Total deaths: 11

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nice way of handling Kimah. Good fight analysis too.

I'm pretty sure Gnaag is breaking at least two provisions of the Evil Overlord List-

- If I at any time acquire the Hero's MacGuffin, I will destroy it as soon as I am able, not wait till some arbitrary time in the future.

- If I at any time acquire the Hero's MacGuffin, I will not gloat and tell the hero I have it. It is more fun to watch the hero continue to fumble about looking for it and never find it while I continue my rule.

Seriously, Gnaag, my five year old adviser thought of both of these things. Why didn't yours? What's that? You don't have such an adviser? Man, you really need to read the list!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zakhan Kimah aside, I don't mind this book. It's not one of the best but it's far from the worst. It is weird in one way though - it's really easy to skip huge chunks of it. Book five has the whole skippable sewer level, but if you have a look at the chart for this one you can see it's just full of shortcuts. We made use of a few. If you know what you're doing you can really rush through it.

I would have liked to see a bit more of the ancient ruined city and its inhabitants rather than spending so long in and getting to the regular human city above, but it doesn't feel like as much of a disappointment as the lack of jungle in the Jungle of Horrors. So pretty average really.

Except for the Zakhan Kimah fight, which really drags the whole thing down. Making the boss fight tougher if you've got the Sommerswerd is fine (because it still trivialises regular fights in the rest of the book) but whether or not you've got the Sommerswerd with you Kimah's stats are just way too high. I don't know how Dever thought this was supposed to go. Did he just not playtest it at all? It's just an incomprehensibly bad decision.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Are you playing this in books or an app?
Using the HTML versions of the books and tracking stats and equipment manually (on page one if this thread).

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Cauldron is a strange book in the series, in that you get the most and coolest content by screwing up/getting lost/getting arrested. When I was a kid, I'd see the illos while flipping through, and seeing that you can fight a weird octopus or dragon, or get involved with a psychic thieves guildmaster really encourages you to replay the book with different routes. It's an unexpected bonus that you miss out on playing digitally.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Dungeons of Torgar

The Dungeons of Torgar posted:

The Story So Far … 

You are the warrior, Lone Wolf, last of the Kai masters of Sommerlund and sole survivor of the massacre that destroyed your kinsmen during a bitter war with your age-old enemies—the Darklords of Helgedad.

Many centuries have passed since Sun Eagle, the first of your kind, established the Order of the Kai. Aided by the magicians of Dessi, he completed a perilous quest to find seven crystals of power known as the Lorestones of Nyxator, and upon their discovery he unlocked a wisdom and strength that lay within both the Lorestones and himself. He recorded the nature of his discoveries and his experiences in a great tome entitled The Book of the Magnakai. You have discovered this lost Kai treasure and have given a solemn pledge to restore the Kai to their former glory, thereby ensuring the security of your land in the years to come. However, your diligent study of this ancient book has enabled you to master only three of the ten Magnakai Disciplines. To fulfil your pledge, you must complete the quest first undertaken by Sun Eagle over a thousand years ago. By doing so successfully, you, too, will acquire the power and wisdom of the Magnakai, which is held within the Lorestones’ crystal forms.

Already your quest has taken you far from your northern homeland. Following in the footsteps of the first Kai Grand Master, you journeyed to Dessi and sought the help of the Elder Magi, the magicians who aided Sun Eagle on his quest long ago. There you learned that for centuries the Elder Magi had awaited your coming. An ancient Dessi legend tells of the birth and rise to greatness of two koura-tas-kai, which means ‘sons of the sun’. One was named Ikar, which means ‘eagle’, and the other was named Skarn, which means ‘wolf’. A prophecy foretold that the koura-tas-kai would each come from the north to seek the counsel of the Elder Magi in order that they might fulfil a great quest. Although separated by several centuries, they would share one spirit, one purpose, and one destiny—to triumph over the champions of darkness in an age of great peril. The Elder Magi knew that you were Skarn—the wolf of Dessi legend—and in keeping with their ancient vows they promised to help you complete the Magnakai quest.

In Elzian, the capital of Dessi, you were tutored in the histories of Magnamund and received lessons in lore that you would have learned from the Kai masters if only they, like you, had survived the murderous Darklord attack on the Kai Monastery twelve years ago. You were eager to learn all that your tutor, Lord Rimoah, could teach you in preparation for the next stage of your quest, but grim news from the Darklands cut short your tuition. In the Darklord city of Helgedad a civil war had erupted, following your defeat of Haakon, Archlord of the Black City. After five years, the battle for the throne of Helgedad had finally been won by a Darklord called Gnaag. The other Darklords, now united behind this new leader, were ordered to amass huge armies in preparation for the conquest of Magnamund. Swiftly their Giak legions grew in number, enabling Gnaag to launch a sweeping invasion that was to catch the freelands unprepared. Several countries, after brief but futile resistance, were completely overrun by Darkland armies; others surrendered without fighting in the face of their determined might. And sadly there were others who chose to betray former friends and allies by joining the Darklord cause, in the misguided hope that they would share in the spoils of victory, following the triumph of Darklord Gnaag. One such land was Vassagonia, a powerful desert realm to the north of Dessi. Her armies mobilized and invaded the neighbouring states of Casiorn and Cloeasia, and then marched west through the republic of Anari in order to join with Gnaag’s horde as it steamrollered across central Magnamund. The Elder Magi urged you to begin the quest for the fourth Lorestone at once. The enemy armies were converging on the Anarian capital of Tahou, and beneath that ancient city the Lorestone lay hidden.

Aided by Magemaster Banedon, an old friend and fellow countryman, you set off in haste for Tahou and arrived barely hours ahead of the enemy. Successfully you made your descent and discovered the object of your quest, but on returning to the surface you found Tahou transformed into a blazing inferno. Darklord Gnaag and Zakhan Kimah, the ruler of Vassagonia, had learnt of your presence and were determined to destroy you at all costs. For days their engines of war had hurled fire and rock across the walls of Tahou with devastating effect. Then a massive assault, led by the Zakhan himself, breached the west gate and gained entry to the burning city. Armed with a weapon of awesome power, the evil Zakhan sought you out and challenged you to a fight to the death. The struggle was desperate but you emerged victorious and led the Anarians in a counterattack that cleared the city of the invading foe. The allies of Anari arrived to raise the siege and in the ensuing battle the demoralized armies of Gnaag and Kimah were smashed and routed.

Your defeat of Zakhan Kimah turned the tide of war decisively against the Darkland armies and paved the way for the liberation of the lands they had taken by force. But the sweet taste of victory turned sour when you discovered that Darklord Gnaag had captured the last three remaining Lorestones of Nyxator. Lord Rimoah and other members of the High Council of the Elder Magi joined you in Tahou to help formulate a plan of action. They had already received word from Prince Graygor, the ruler of Eru, that one of his patrols had found a man near the borders of the Hellswamp. He was a Talestrian soldier who had escaped from the dread city-fortress of Torgar where he had been imprisoned after being captured in battle. He had suffered terribly at the hands of the Drakkarim—evil humans in the service of the Darklords—and when found he was so badly injured that he was almost unrecognizable. Before he died he spoke of three radiant gems filled with golden light that had been brought to Torgar from the Darklord city of Mozgôar.

‘We are now sure that what he saw was the arrival of the stolen Lorestones,’ said Rimoah, speaking on behalf of the High Council. ‘They radiate a goodness so strong that Gnaag could not hold them in the Darklands but had to move them to Torgar. There his sorcerers—the Nadziranim—are searching for the means to destroy them. The black art of the Nadziranim has grown powerful of late and we fear they may achieve the task set them by Gnaag. Therefore we must act quickly and with utmost secrecy if the Lorestones and the Magnakai quest are to be saved.’

The Elder Magi had already made preparations for your secret journey to Eru where, upon your arrival, Prince Graygor will help you reach the grim city of Torgar. The thought of having to enter the terrible Drakkarim stronghold fills you with dread, but your pledge to destroy the Darklords and restore the Kai strengthens your resolve and helps you suppress your fear.

On the eve of your journey to Eru, the Elder Magi convene a special meeting of the High Council to pray for the success of your mission. For several hours they kneel in prayer until finally they arise and intone the blessing that has sustained you in the past: ‘May the Gods Ishir and Kai protect you on your journey into darkness, Kor-Skarn.’

New Magnakai Discipline time, and we've got four options left: Animal Control, Curing, Psi-surge and Divination - and whichever one we pick will put us one book away from being able to complete another Lore Circle. We also need to pick a new Weaponmastery (spear, quarterstaff, broadsword or short sword).

Circle of Fire (Weaponmastery & Huntmastery): +1 CS +2 EP
Circle of Light (Animal Control & Curing): 0 CS +3 EP
Circle of Solaris (Invisibility, Huntmastery & Pathsmanship): +1 CS +3 EP
Circle of the Spirit (Psi-surge, Psi-screen, Nexus & Divination): +3 CS +3 EP

And as usual our Disciplines get some upgrades:

Weaponmastery: +2 to missile weapon rolls. This includes bows and stacks with our existing +3 from Weaponmastery with a bow and the +3 from the Silver Bow of Duadon, meaning that we now add eight every time we roll a d10 for using a bow. It's practically impossible for us to miss.
Pathsmanship: Move without leaving any kind of tracks.
Psi-screen: Defence against spirits attacking with psychic energy.

Curing: Neutralise poisons, venoms, toxins, etc.
Divination: Detect psychic residue and visualise events from the distant past.

And we get our new map and some more cash (10 GC), plus a new backpack and any five of the following:
  • Sword
  • Bow
  • Quiver (6 arrows)
  • Rope
  • Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  • Lantern
  • Mace
  • 3 Meals
  • Dagger
We can also move things in or out of storage at this point - see page one for our current equipment and what we've got stored away.

So let's have your votes for:
  1. New Discipline
  2. New Weaponmastery
  3. Things to put in storage
  4. Things to retrieve from storage
  5. New Equipment

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiggum posted:

Zakhan Kimah aside, I don't mind this book. It's not one of the best but it's far from the worst. It is weird in one way though - it's really easy to skip huge chunks of it. Book five has the whole skippable sewer level, but if you have a look at the chart for this one you can see it's just full of shortcuts. We made use of a few. If you know what you're doing you can really rush through it.

I would have liked to see a bit more of the ancient ruined city and its inhabitants rather than spending so long in and getting to the regular human city above, but it doesn't feel like as much of a disappointment as the lack of jungle in the Jungle of Horrors. So pretty average really.

Except for the Zakhan Kimah fight, which really drags the whole thing down. Making the boss fight tougher if you've got the Sommerswerd is fine (because it still trivialises regular fights in the rest of the book) but whether or not you've got the Sommerswerd with you Kimah's stats are just way too high. I don't know how Dever thought this was supposed to go. Did he just not playtest it at all? It's just an incomprehensibly bad decision.

Don't worry, it's far from the worst book for total bullshit. By the time we hit the GM series there'll sometimes be multiple fights per book where you've got maybe a 20% chance to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It kind of sounds (in the end text where it says your weapons are returned) as if you can lose the Sommerswerd by getting arrested? Maybe that's how Dever imagined people were supposed to game the Kimah fight - that and having the psychic ring.

The fact that it's complete bullshit even in those circumstances probably is just a lack of playtesting though.

e:
Divination
Spear Mastery
Store Invitation, Psychic Ring and those extra 3 gold crowns from our pack
Retrieve Vial of Gnadurn Sap
Grab Rope, Lantern, potions of Laumspur and Alether, and 1 meal just in case we need to feed someone in distress

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 7, 2018