Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I think they passed a law saying you can't show price is right episodes older than like, a decade on TV because people will just start fuckin building guillotines if they link up 'wait...prices have gone up a lot...but my pay hasn't...'

Can you cite this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah the fact that they did a clip show -- well into the era where you could easily look up "Best Jim/Dwight Pranks" on YouTube, or binge-watch the DVDs of every previous season -- was freaking bizarre. I wonder if that was the last clip show ever?

Community had a clip show of stuff not actually aired so it was actually brilliant. I don't know if that came before or after The Office clip show.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Iron Crowned posted:

I just miss Bob Barker, Drew Carey sucks

to his credit, drew always tries really hard to help the contestant win, in ways that the human piece of garbage who preceded him would not. explains things slowly and several times and even indirectly tells them the odds of certain events so they have all the info they need

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Community had a clip show of stuff not actually aired so it was actually brilliant. I don't know if that came before or after The Office clip show.

The Clerk's TV show did this too. It was the pilot, which made it even better.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Koalas March posted:

The Clerk's TV show did this too. It was the pilot, which made it even better.

I thought it was episode 2? At least that's the order I remember it being on the DVD

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, episode 2. The first couple flashbacks are to the first episode before it starts going out there. "That was just last week!"

When the show was first aired they showed episode 4 and 2, in that order, so half the jokes didn't really work. Then it got cancelled.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ah, my mistake. I haven't watched it in years lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If I remember the commentary correctly the original joke was going to be "children's burn ward"

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I just miss Bob Barker, Drew Carey sucks

Isn't Bob a huge creeper?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Back in the mid 00s VH1 used to air these shows about how extravagantly celebrities lived and the ridiculous things they bought. I can't see something like that airing today and not causing some riots.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

londonarbuckle posted:

Roseanne is one of my favorite shows of all time, and I love the terrible seasons just as much as the actual good seasons, but I don't know if my heart can take this.

I don't think I could handle seeing him play a Trump supporter. He's a pretty liberal dude, and while I don't normally care if an actor plays a person opposite of their real-life politics.... something about supporting Trump rubs me the wrong way, especially when the show's whole message was that of "Hey it can be tough to understand the world and sometimes its scary and unfair but we'll get through things if we stick together"

it was a very inclusive show and Trump just... isn't.. he's a very bad president and person and i don't think he deserves a TV show where the main actors are all about him.

also Rosanne herself used to be very much down-to-earth and she's loving bonkers now so that's even more awkward now

Tumble has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Mar 7, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gaunab posted:

Back in the mid 00s VH1 used to air these shows about how extravagantly celebrities lived and the ridiculous things they bought. I can't see something like that airing today and not causing some riots.

Isn't this pretty much all the Kardashian shows?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Those shows are now on YouTube and the people who make them make loving millions.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Those shows are now on YouTube and the people who make them make loving millions.

See also: Unboxing videos

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you cite this?

A Joke (Goon, 2018)

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Gaunab posted:

The shows are pretty irrelevant now, since all of Instagram is about 'look at all this poo poo I own!' We live in a world where being an influencer is a job. These shows are quite quaint by comparison.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Psh, it's like none of you know about "Champagne wishes and caviar dreams"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyles_of_the_Rich_and_Famous

If anything, worship of the rich has aged too well.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gaunab posted:

my man have you heard of Instagram

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gaunab posted:

yeah man not like we elected an entire president because he pretends to be rich or anything, we hate rich people, boy oh boy

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The saddest episode of the Office for me was the gift baskets. Because Michael, for all his faults seemed to be a good salesman who was promoted past his skill level. Gift baskets are such an archaic thing nowadays, I was hoping it'd somehow validate his past success and surprise everyone.

Best Office parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg8NS6s0fkw

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I quit watching The Office early on but I remember a great scene where Dwight and Jim go out to do a sales pitch and it showed that they are a great team.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

The saddest episode of the Office for me was the gift baskets. Because Michael, for all his faults seemed to be a good salesman who was promoted past his skill level. Gift baskets are such an archaic thing nowadays, I was hoping it'd somehow validate his past success and surprise everyone.

That and The Deposition. Though the deposition one had one of my favorite lines of any TV show, "You expect to get screwed by your company, you don't expect to get screwed by your girlfriend."

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

that one bit where michael just pushes toby's lunch off the table onto the ground is the hardest i have ever laughed at a tv show in my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2VKlNwH2bw

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why did he do that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

oldpainless posted:

Why did he do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRo32Ug22HY

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

MikeCrotch posted:

my man have you heard of Instagram

SEX BURRITO posted:

The shows are pretty irrelevant now, since all of Instagram is about 'look at all this poo poo I own!' We live in a world where being an influencer is a job. These shows are quite quaint by comparison.

I don't use instagram so I guess that's on me :shrug:

Sorry.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

"I hate so much about the things that you choose to be" is my favorite line of the show.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Toby is also the one person on the show not to get any kind of happy ending too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
All this talk about The Office is making me want to rewatch it. I did pick up the entire series from itunes back in December for I think 40.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Rirse posted:

All this talk about The Office is making me want to rewatch it. I did pick up the entire series from itunes back in December for I think 40.

Comedy Central has been playing them in sequence, too. The dinner party and deposition episodes were both on yesterday.

"That one night.. (one night).. you made ev'rything alright.."

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

bobjr posted:

Toby is also the one person on the show not to get any kind of happy ending too.

Creed also didn't get a happy ending but I'm amazed that literally everyone else got a super happy ending and it still didn't come off as too contrived.

Edit: Also in my opinion Scott's Tots is the cringiest that Michael gets and is one of the very few episodes I usually skip. Watching Michael crush the dreams of an entire class of kids is hard to watch.

Hey Mr. Scott, whatcha gonna good? Whatcha gonna do? Make our dreams come true!

King of Foolians has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Mar 7, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

King of Foolians posted:

Creed also didn't get a happy ending but I'm amazed that literally everyone else got a super happy ending and it still didn't come off as too contrived.

Considering I gave up on the Office long before that happened, did anyone get a Scooby Doo Ending?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering I gave up on the Office long before that happened, did anyone get a Scooby Doo Ending?

James Spader?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I stopped watching after Pam and Jim got married. I'd occasionally stumble across an episode and Dwight is showing off a triangle tablet and I quickly change the channel.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
What really has aged in The Office is the amount of mobility and job security the employees have.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did they ever explain why the Scranton office was the most profitable?

I know one character went to work in a different city, but I can't recall if other locations were more or less dysfunctional.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

There's an episode where they don't have a manager and everyone just does their job on their own time and everything gets done. It's funny, everyone is a ridiculous caricature of a human being but they all do their jobs.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I know one character went to work in a different city, but I can't recall if other locations were more or less dysfunctional.

I think they kept subtly implying throughout the show that Kevin was loving up the numbers in their favor lol. At least that's what my head canon says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Krispy Wafer posted:

They kept all the clients from the branch that merged into them while only keeping 1 of their staff on payroll is the biggest factor.