Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ready Player One posted a bunch of horrific monstrosities of posters which fits in with the horrific monstrosity that is the book

Hmm yes good job reminding people of much better movies they could be watching instead

Also like how the original characters the main guy's replacing conveyed more personality and emotion in the posters than everything we've seen him in so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ready Player One posted a bunch of horrific monstrosities of posters which fits in with the horrific monstrosity that is the book

The execution on these is poor but more importantly those characters suck. I mean I get what they're going for but these feel like they're all from a sheet with a bunch of iterative designs and these are the lamest ones out of like thirty. Put 'em back in the oven they're not done yet.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

porfiria posted:

The execution on these is poor but more importantly those characters suck. I mean I get what they're going for but these feel like they're all from a sheet with a bunch of iterative designs and these are the lamest ones out of like thirty. Put 'em back in the oven they're not done yet.

The “characters” in the posters are actually the main characters’ cyberspace avatars. The main characters are high schoolers. Therefore, their mediocre designs might be intentionally kind of terrible. Think about what your AIM avatar was in high school.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lelandjs posted:

The “characters” in the posters are actually the main characters’ cyberspace avatars. The main characters are high schoolers. Therefore, their mediocre designs might be intentionally kind of terrible. Think about what your AIM avatar was in high school.

true, but that still doesn't make for a good poster to catch the attention of people who don't already know that about rp1

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bullitt sticks out a bit in that line-up. RPO is a love letter to the pop culture of the 80s (and, of course, Kevin Smith) so the movie from 1968 is the oddball homage.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bullitt sticks out a bit in that line-up. RPO is a love letter to the pop culture of the 80s (and, of course, Kevin Smith) so the movie from 1968 is the oddball homage.

The Matrix, classic 80s movie? (The Iron Giant too.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I’m almost certain it’ll just be the Bullitt mustang showing up in that race sequence.

Having read the book, I’m not sure I’ve ever wanted a movie to fail more than RP1.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shaft v Bullitt: Birth of the Cool (1972) probably would've been a fun movie.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lelandjs posted:

My problem with that is that teen-designed characters are usually wonderfully, bombastically absurd. They're the kind of people who unironically create sparkledog fursonas and snarling mega-badasses that hold a billion gunswords. What kind of kid would be "I can be anything at all you say? Thank god, now I can be the lumpy bored-looking grey man I've always wanted to be".

Those designs suck because they're not even bad, they're boring as sin.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Jesus Christ is that what the main characters are going to look like for the entire movie? Jesus gently caress they are awful, they're loving awful holy moly, Jesus Christ

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
A good movie can be made out of a bad book

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Wandle Cax posted:

A good movie can be made out of a bad book

Sure, but the trailer so far looks like garbage and the posters aren't changing my opinion on that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He seems to often do a Rock bottom in movies and tweaks the eyebrow in a lot of them.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that this shot was in every Jumanji 2 trailer:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

The climax of the novel is the main character reciting 1975's Monty Python and the Holy Grail word for word from memory after beating up Mechagodzilla from 1974's Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, even Cline couldn't give a poo poo about sticking to 80s pop culture.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it wouldn't be the first time speilberg made a good movie out of a bad book and you honestly wouldn't need to change that much of the story to change it to the obvious to everyone but ernest cline conclusion that a future with everyone obsessed about long gone pop culture no one was even alive for because it's what one dead rich guy was into is terrible

i'm still not exactly getting my hopes up that it'll be any good, but it's not an impossibility

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lelandjs posted:

Bro Badass Buddy was the poo poo. You shut your dirty whore mouth.

Len is away

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ynohtna posted:

Does The Rock have any iconic lines or catchphrases?

I feel that a large part of what keeps Arnie strong in bleak plains of Western celebrity culture is the ease with which he can be poorly impersonated in common situations such as when someone needs to get to something, go somewhere and return, or be dealt with out of sequence.

Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6JzC8RGecw

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Brother Entropy posted:

it wouldn't be the first time speilberg made a good movie out of a bad book and you honestly wouldn't need to change that much of the story to change it to the obvious to everyone but ernest cline conclusion that a future with everyone obsessed about long gone pop culture no one was even alive for because it's what one dead rich guy was into is terrible

I agree, Paul Verhoeven's Ready Player One is good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The real answer is that Bullitt is also a Warner Bros film and they're desperately trying to mine every recognizable pop culture image they can from their own back catalogue rather than pay to license other studios' iconography.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ynohtna posted:

Does The Rock have any iconic lines or catchphrases?

https://youtu.be/_0IexZXHyCE

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

The real answer is that Bullitt is also a Warner Bros film and they're desperately trying to mine every recognizable pop culture image they can from their own back catalogue rather than pay to license other studios' iconography.

Yeah there's a ton, a loving ton of star wars imagery and concepts in the book and the mouse ain't letting that go for cheap

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A lot of Joss Whedon stuff in the book too which they're probably glad right now they (apparently) didn't try to stick into the movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I always think to like, the scene on the beach where he's super anxious/nervous...just a fun man to watch

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He seems to often do a Rock bottom in movies and tweaks the eyebrow in a lot of them.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that this shot was in every Jumanji 2 trailer:

I got confused and now i can't help but look at this image thinking of the Rock as a power bottom being encouraging to his top

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also it was a thing where Ernest Cline and his stupid friends all had lovely avatars that looked like them minus a few differences because they were all dirt poor

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Chairman Capone posted:

A lot of Joss Whedon stuff in the book too which they're probably glad right now they (apparently) didn't try to stick into the movie.

Was he involved in something recently? Or is this just general Joss sucks rear end?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

Was he involved in something recently? Or is this just general Joss sucks rear end?

Coercing young actresses into sex with promises of prominent roles in his movies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Calaveron posted:

Coercing young actresses into sex with promises of prominent roles in his movies.

And then bragging about it to his wife blaming those irresistible young harlots.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm honestly not that surprised to hear that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Not sure where you got this. What came out was that he had cheated on his wife many times over the years. If there was claims of coercion I missed that. The worst part was he claimed to his wife that he was surrounded by aggressive women throwing themselves at him and he succumbed, which is an eye rolling defense for his infidelity. Terrible behavior but not exactly a Polanski is it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Not sure where you got this. What came out was that he had cheated on his wife many times over the years. If there was claims of coercion I missed that. The worst part was he claimed to his wife that he was surrounded by aggressive women throwing themselves at him and he succumbed, which is an eye rolling defense for his infidelity. Terrible behavior but not exactly a Polanski is it.

Motherfucker looks like a Conehead Ron Howard, you think he'd be pulling tail with the crowd he stuffs his projects with if he wasn't running said shows

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Embarrassing bullshit

Spielberg... can still make good stuff, right? Because with the possible exception of Lincoln, his output over the past ten years has been outright dire. And really Lincoln was just really decent-to-good, bolstered by some truly great performances.

Edit: I mean, don't get me wrong, Spielberg is... Spielberg. But between this and the BFG, his big effects movies have been really rough lately. Tin-Tin was... okay?

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 7, 2018

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tin-tin was fantastic and so was Lincoln.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lincoln was good, but again I think a lot of that had to do with the performances. I actually don't remember much about Tin-Tin, which is kind of of notable for me when it comes to Spielberg. Maybe I'll have to give it a rewatch sometime in the next couple of months.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I liked Tintin, but I also went in with zero expectations. It drags a little in the middle but it’s a decent flick.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I agree, Paul Verhoeven's Ready Player One is good.

gently caress you for making me imagine how great that movie would be.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fart City posted:

Lincoln was good, but again I think a lot of that had to do with the performances. I actually don't remember much about Tin-Tin, which is kind of of notable for me when it comes to Spielberg. Maybe I'll have to give it a rewatch sometime in the next couple of months.

Bridge of Spies is good, and I like War Horse but I get why people don't. I think Lincoln is the only great movie he's made this decade, but he's also someone who has made all-timers in every decade going back to the '70s. I don't mind him dropping off a bit, quality-wise.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

gently caress you for not going with this theme song, Spielberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In the book the girl character Art3mis is described as having an avatar with a "rubenesque" figure so they somehow managed to find a way to make those character designs even more generic by slimming her down for the movie.