Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I’ve been saving every elemental weapon I’ve found because I was scared of losing them forever, and it was creating problems with my melee weapon inventory. Then yesterday I found a place called Coliseum Ruins in Central Hyrule that has monsters with one of every elemental weapon in the game. Hooray!

There’s also a Silver Lynel, which, I’m still trying to figure out how to kill Lynels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Learn to let go.

Of your weapons.

By throwing them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’d also like to know if there’s a good place to go to get Ancient Shafts, so I can buy more arrows for to kill Guardians with.

There're several ways to kill Guardians that don't require burning ancient arrows. I mean, do as you like, but you can definitely take them out, by slightly less efficient but far cheaper ways.

So I’ve been saving every elemental weapon I’ve found because I was scared of losing them forever, and it was creating problems with my melee weapon inventory. Then yesterday I found a place called Coliseum Ruins in Central Hyrule that has monsters with one of every elemental weapon in the game. Hooray!

There’s also a Silver Lynel, which, I’m still trying to figure out how to kill Lynels.

Find a weapon type you like (2H, Sword, Spear) and only keep one. They're not the physically strongest weapon, so you're only going to want them for their elemental effects. I tend to go spear or sword, as I don't expect to damage with them, and the spear in particular is great for hitting enemies at range. A few stabs with the ice spear and you've taken a 5v1 to 1v1 in no time. I'm also a big fan of disarming with lightning and stealing the enemy's weapon. Really dents their offense.

Fire is really only good as a utility and not as a weapon imo. That said it's by far the best utility so if you don't keep the others, ALWAYS have a fire sword on hand, not to fight, but just to do fire things. Kinda like you want a hammer or stone crusher for mining, if you don't feel like using other less durable weapons.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I leveled all the trees in that beach town i can't remember the name of to fund Tarrey Town. I imagine that stable packed inside a small pine grove near ridgeland would be better though although I'm not sure how fast trees respawn.

The one next to the Rito village has respawning logs as well as the surrounding forest.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Ancient Arrows also have the serious issue of destroying loot, so I avoid them as much as possible.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

So I’ve been saving every elemental weapon I’ve found

You've been told multiple times in this thread that they are abundant.

They all spawn in the Colosseum, they are all some other re-spawning random place, AND

There is also one Stalnox that has each of the nine elemental weapon types.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Bloop posted:

Where?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zore posted:

Ancient Arrows also have the serious issue of destroying loot, so I avoid them as much as possible.

They don't destroy Guardian loot.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Cool! A thing to find somewhere! I think I'll take a break still, but afterwards I'm going to have to in earnest kill all those tracked monsters. I've ignored pretty much every talos, as I find them a bit annoying to kill. Honestly, I've ended up avoiding most fights these days. Just isn't worth it. I hope combat is revamped next time around. Or maybe even made less important? I don't get the impression fighting was what other Zelda's were about. I don't remember fighting much.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I may have been unclear. There are nine, and they each have one. They each spawn in a different place all over the world.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cool! A thing to find somewhere! I think I'll take a break still, but afterwards I'm going to have to in earnest kill all those tracked monsters. I've ignored pretty much every talos, as I find them a bit annoying to kill. Honestly, I've ended up avoiding most fights these days. Just isn't worth it. I hope combat is revamped next time around. Or maybe even made less important? I don't get the impression fighting was what other Zelda's were about. I don't remember fighting much.

In NES/SNES Zeldas you're pretty much constantly fighting and I always missed that a little in the sprawling emptiness of 3D Hyrule fields.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

True... 2D Zelda's are a whole other bundle of greatness. I can't think of one I've ever disliked. I liked the DS ones for their puzzle aspects, even if they were a bit off the beaten path.

Combat there was more frequent, but way easier. You had all the tools available to you and enemies didn't last too long as it was. I feel that even here a simple fight with a white enemy just takes a long time even if you know how to cheese it. Guardians are pretty much the only thing I find reasonable to kill as far as time goes. Most everything else is a bit of a slog. And I'm not even playing Master mode. I can't even imagine why they'd want to put a focus on the combat.

Oh well. Small flaws don't go far compared to the greatness of this game otherwise. We can only hope they'll perfect it for the sequel.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fire is really only good as a utility and not as a weapon imo. That said it's by far the best utility so if you don't keep the others, ALWAYS have a fire sword on hand, not to fight, but just to do fire things. Kinda like you want a hammer or stone crusher for mining, if you don't feel like using other less durable weapons.

This.

I only keep a Fire elemental weapon on me to keep Link warm without having to change armor.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jisforjosh posted:

This.

I only keep a Fire elemental weapon on me to keep Link warm without having to change armor.

Same reason I always have both ice and fire on hand, also for lighting fires

Or melting things by standing next to them long enough, in a pinch

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Bongo Bill posted:

They don't destroy Guardian loot.

On Guardian Stalkers, however, each leg you manage to chop off drops its own smattering of Ancient Parts. While Ancient Arrows give you a quicker, safer kill, you'll have less time to successfully take those legs off before it explodes, and will generally wind up with fewer parts than if you make it close and personal.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Each propeller of a flying Guardian drops 1-2 ancient shafts when destroyed.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I've just got the game and I'm currently being worked by gannon in the zora temple.

Is there a decent guide anywhere to not be so trash in the beginning of the game?

like im running out of bows and he's just tossing ice cubes at me what the heck i look awful

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

I've just got the game and I'm currently being worked by gannon in the zora temple.

Is there a decent guide anywhere to not be so trash in the beginning of the game?

like im running out of bows and he's just tossing ice cubes at me what the heck i look awful

You can shatter the cubes with Cryonis. If you use Stasis on one of the cubes, you can knock it back at him and leave him open to further attacks.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If all else fails, go cook an assload of food, bring it in and obnoxiously heal yourself forever.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Kazy posted:

Each propeller of a flying Guardian drops 1-2 ancient shafts when destroyed.

You can destroy their propellers??

I just always run past the drat things because they're they're practically blind.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

MokBa posted:

You can destroy their propellers??

I just always run past the drat things because they're they're practically blind.

Yeah I learned this pretty late in the game. It's doable but it either takes so many arrows, or effort to get the high ground that it feels kind of pointless. Probably one of my least favorite enemies to fight alongside Talus.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Several places, like going up to the keep tower or death mountain, you can use magnesis to sort of drag metal boxes across the top of flying guardians and knock off their propellers.

Slamming boxes down on them is definitely my most satisfying way to kill them

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

housefly posted:

Where did you grow up? I grew up in Illinois and Little Bunny Foo Foo was a thing for me from my childhood, but people in Ohio look at me like I’m some sort of deranged psycho killer if I mention it.

I grew up in New York, and all my friends and I know Little Bunny Foo Foo. I did watch lamb chop as a kid, but I'm pretty sure it was just a popular nursery rhyme / story type deal that we all learned.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 7, 2018

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are there any good videos that show some of the more crazy inventive stuff you can do with this game? Like sticking a balloon to a bomb and blowing it to the enemies or climbing stuff by hitting a boulder in statis and holding on

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit: crap

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Bongo Bill posted:

You can shatter the cubes with Cryonis. If you use Stasis on one of the cubes, you can knock it back at him and leave him open to further attacks.
Wait, you can stasis those things?

I mean, I knew that my "spam arrows and occasionally whack him with a sword" strategy couldn't be the intended way to fight Waterblight Ganon because it was taking forever, but I never thought about using Stasis on his ice blocks. :eng99: (did at least use Cryonis, though)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

a7m2 posted:

Are there any good videos that show some of the more crazy inventive stuff you can do with this game? Like sticking a balloon to a bomb and blowing it to the enemies or climbing stuff by hitting a boulder in statis and holding on

This guy's channel is FULL of stuff like that. I believe he was the first one to show off the 'flying machine' trick that apparently stunned the staff of BoTW.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCk5uRYSWRRL2vocYHjk1UpA

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah I learned this pretty late in the game. It's doable but it either takes so many arrows, or effort to get the high ground that it feels kind of pointless. Probably one of my least favorite enemies to fight alongside Talus.

I definitely need to get better at this; I, too had been generally avoiding the Flying Guardians because they'd been so annoying to take down. When I finally decided to go in the front door of Akkala Citadel and clean the place out two weeks ago, I wound up wasting Ancient Arrows all over the place.

Depending on how this weekend shakes out, I'll probably get all stocked up and take a run at completely clearing out Hyrule Castle of foes, so likely get more practice in on the flyers.

Also, did almost all the entirety of my growing up in Ohio, definitely knew of Little Bunny Foo Foo, and also did have Lamb Chop's show on the local PBS station.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What's wrong with just using stasis and shooting the flying guardian's in the eye?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nothing really. But as I usually said when faced with pointless and easily avoidable combat, "Why bother?" The amount of fights I walk/ed past are many. And I'm fine at the combat too, it's just not that fun. I can dodge pretty much everything perfectly. I pretty much forgot parrying was a technique until the master sword trials. I got good enough to not die there, but I'd rather dodge.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Early on you will almost always come away as a net negative (loss of health, weapons, shields, food etc) when engaging in combat.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

Early on you will almost always come away as a net negative (loss of health, weapons, shields, food etc) when engaging in combat.

Good because I'm consistently getting worked.

Love the game, but this feels like early Shadow of Mordor when the lowliest of slave orcs could wreck you.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
So the first divine beast I’m going after is the one by Zora’s Domain, and making the approach to the domain was cool as hell. I only have four hearts and a couple of decent weapons so I was sneaking on groups, doing stealth takedowns and headshots, and just trying to survive while Weird Fish Prince is cheering me on.

I’m still not sure I love this game but that whole sequence was cool as hell.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Good because I'm consistently getting worked.

Love the game, but this feels like early Shadow of Mordor when the lowliest of slave orcs could wreck you.

When I first started I felt a little humiliated by how easily I died too. It becomes laughably easy soon enough, though; the Gerudo Divine Beast power pretty much trivializes any non-boss combat, the Soldier armor in Hateno village makes you pretty tanky while still being cheap and easy to get to, and if a specific area has really tough monsters that are wrecking you, you can just leave and come back when you're stronger.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Backhand posted:

When I first started I felt a little humiliated by how easily I died too. It becomes laughably easy soon enough, though; the Gerudo Divine Beast power pretty much trivializes any non-boss combat, the Soldier armor in Hateno village makes you pretty tanky while still being cheap and easy to get to, and if a specific area has really tough monsters that are wrecking you, you can just leave and come back when you're stronger.

Can i wear the soldier armor to fight water ganon?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Can i wear the soldier armor to fight water ganon?

I give you my permission. Go in peace.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I finished the Hylian Homeowner side quest and put the weapons I got for beating all of the Divine Beasts on display on the weapon racks.

I am very extremely proud of my fake video game house.

Only problem is the game will only allow one of each of those weapons to exist at a time, so while they’re hanging up at my house I can’t get new ones made to actually use.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Man, it bugged me a lot more than I thought it would how empty that house looks until you finish it and they randomly decide to add actual furnishings to the interior. Seriously, until you dump a LOT of money into it the place looks like a warehouse.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Sims: Breath Of The Wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The house was neat until I finished Tarrey Town then I never went back.

rip pointless house