Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
If Ru spouting transphobic nonsense is news to you I'd love to see your time machine from the 1990s. Are the screens still CRT based?
He's always been a transphobic poo poo and I've hated that his opinions and judgement on what is and isn't drag has been at the forefront of mainstream appreciation of it for years. I'm glad that he's finally catching some loving heat about it, even though I know nobody will remember it in time for season 10 and he'll go back to being the drag darling of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.vh1.com/news/351899/queens-question-dela-going-home-early/

sneak peek for next allstars episode is up.

BEBE being a shady bitch and not showing her lipstick. hilarious. i love her snob villain edit but gently caress!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

curiousTerminal posted:

If Ru spouting transphobic nonsense is news to you I'd love to see your time machine from the 1990s. Are the screens still CRT based?
He's always been a transphobic poo poo and I've hated that his opinions and judgement on what is and isn't drag has been at the forefront of mainstream appreciation of it for years. I'm glad that he's finally catching some loving heat about it, even though I know nobody will remember it in time for season 10 and he'll go back to being the drag darling of the world.

It just sucks because if you can't make it to the clubs often then rupaul is your only real source for drag content that isn't 10 second insta vids. When I can make it to live stuff once in a blue moon (at clubs that aren't exclusively cisgay only) it's a million times better than drag race but the rest of the time it's better than nothing.

I always knew he was a poo poo privately but I thought that at this point he knew better than to let his personal poo poo come out in the show.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's especially frustrating as I am rewatching season 9 (since they just added it to Canadian Netflix) and near the end, Michelle and Ru have Peppermint on their podcast and are talking about how "you should never be afraid that being an openly trans woman will mess up your drag work"... and theeennnnnn

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Jay O posted:

Dragula season 2 had a "heteroflexible" competitor who was married to a lady (open relationship). I think that's the closest they've gotten. Still a very queer situation though.

Disasterina, and I recall on one episode when this was being discussed someone interjected “your family is cute!” and all the other monsters were totally supportive. :3:

big black turnout posted:

I'd love to try to do drag but I'm too old, both too fat and too skinny, and I'll never shave my beard

None of these things can stop you from doing drag in the Dragula universe (but oof do I feel ya on the age part).

I am more surprised Ru (sorta) apologized so quickly than at his lovely, narrow-minded remarks. I’ve followed him since the 90s while in that same time recognized I’m trans, I’m non-binary, and I’m exactly what “doesn’t belong” in that community according to him and probably millions of other people. It’s a lovely feeling even when it’s an expected one. That said I still want to watch amazing performances from Shangela and Aja and soon Eureka on S10 and all the girls on Thailand.

But frankly Dragula S3 can get here any day now because that’s where I’m accepted.

And yes I meant Ongina earlier. I think some of the petroleum used on the S1 cameras rubbed off on my brain and never left.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'm a couple episodes into rewatching season three and it's a cringe a minute, especially Untucked. Casual transphobia all over the place.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A lot things have changed for the better since 2010.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Toast Museum posted:

I'm a couple episodes into rewatching season three and it's a cringe a minute, especially Untucked. Casual transphobia all over the place.

I started with season 4 and I don't regret missing the first 3 at all

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

I forget since I haven't seen that season in forever, do they toss around "t____y" a ton? That's one thing I always heard a fair bit in the cis-LGB community and didn't realize it was offensive until cis autodrag schooled me.

I agree things have gotten better in the last few years but the LGB community still has a loooong ways to go with being inclusive of people of color, trans-people, etc.

edit: and if the argument is that transitioning gives an unfair advantage to a queen, then Detox and Trinity Taylor should never have been allowed on the show.

Besides, how often has straight "fishiness" / female illusion been a winning quality on RPDR? Very rarely. Maybe Tyra?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 7, 2018

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pellisworth posted:

I forget since I haven't seen that season in forever, do they toss around "t____y" a ton?

I've definitely heard it from Shangela and maybe Alexis so far. Even if she doesn't use that specific term, Alexis pretty much immediately and abruptly asks Stacy whether she's trans and complains to Shangela about some other queen (Mariah, I think) who she suspects is trans and therefore not actually a drag queen.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

:stonk: Jesus Christ, is that what was going on? I guess I'll blame the lighting, but I did not pick up on that. Oof.
I hadn't picked up on that either, but looking back, it's a lot more noticeable when she's seated and not drowned out in that purple light. That ... certainly was a choice :stare:

Toast Museum posted:

I feel like I need to go back and look at some of the US sewing challenges, because these queens got read to filth for what I thought were mostly pretty good efforts, and I wonder how many of the US DIY looks would have passed muster for them. Like, Derrick Barry got read for her Wizard of Oz look, but Pangina might have literally murdered her on the runway.
Hahaha yeah, the bar's been set really high from the get go. I was surprised to see even the guest judges read the queens so much. It's kinda refreshing though to see the queens really get pushed to be creative. I feel like the runways we've been seeing in these later seasons of rpdr have been kinda lacklustre, AS2 aside.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pellisworth posted:

I forget since I haven't seen that season in forever, do they toss around "t____y" a ton? That's one thing I always heard a fair bit in the cis-LGB community and didn't realize it was offensive until cis autodrag schooled me.

I agree things have gotten better in the last few years but the LGB community still has a loooong ways to go with being inclusive of people of color, trans-people, etc.

edit: and if the argument is that transitioning gives an unfair advantage to a queen, then Detox and Trinity Taylor should never have been allowed on the show.

Besides, how often has straight "fishiness" / female illusion been a winning quality on RPDR? Very rarely. Maybe Tyra?

This is what I'm saying. Copious surgery is the norm for big name queens these days. Even my precious darling Sharon has a bunch of lip and cheek fillers now. Or did Ru miss Aja's statement that she got a bunch of surgery to get ready for as3?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
(legit question and not a troll):

What is the difference between a trans woman doing drag and a cis woman doing drag? If drag is for everyone, then there should be no line, correct?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

What is the difference between a trans woman doing drag and a cis woman doing drag? If drag is for everyone, then there should be no line, correct?

caveat: this is mostly personal opinion and it's a complicated topic, I'm happy to be wrong about things

a huge part of drag is being transgressive of traditional ideas of gender and blurring the lines, it's very tied up with queer (LGBT) culture

drag is a performance art where a (biologically) male person presents an exaggerated female stage character

trans-women are still presenting an over-the-top female stage persona, they also just happen to live as a female outside of drag too

I don't have any problem with cis-women doing drag, it's just not as transgressive or rooted in LGBT culture. gay/bi-/non-binary men and trans-women have historically had to deal with a ton of discrimination and bigotry which persists to varying degrees for most of us (especially trans-women in modern times). there's an element of "gently caress your gender stereotypes" which doesn't exist for cis-women.

Like I said earlier, I think it would be *awesome* to have a season of RPDR where the cast was split between drag queens and drag kings. But, cis-women doing drag lacks the queer/transgressive element which is a major part of drag culture.

edit: and, I think our society often tends to regard trans-women as not "real" women. Obviously I think that's lovely and wrong, but it's a fact. Drag is a vehicle for getting on stage and proclaiming, I'm extra loving woman and fierce as hell, you will respect me.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 7, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Flyinglemur posted:

If you have to specify you're not trolling...

But drag is absolutely rooted in queer culture and kicking down the walls social gender norms put around you. Cis het women doing drag would ring hollow. Cis hetero women are allowed to break out of gender roles all sorts of ways (see: the concept of tomboys) that gay men and trans women get killed over. A trans woman who has a butch sensibility is going to get beaten to death in a bathroom way more often then a butch cis woman. Cishet people have no place in drag full stop. Their privilege defines the roles the rest of us are punished for violating.

There's plenty of cis lesbian drag kings out there fighting the femme stereotypes society wants them to fulfill.

Also, Peppermint put out a statement https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/8233000/peppermint-rupaul-apology

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://mobile.twitter.com/Queerty/status/971118079127248896

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lol. Especially with Pelosi endorsing anti gay rights house members for cynical politics.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
What is with queerty? Are they typically terrible? Their Twitter feed today seems primarily concerned with bashing people mad at ru

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

big black turnout posted:

What is with queerty? Are they typically terrible? Their Twitter feed today seems primarily concerned with bashing people mad at ru

I've never heard of them before, but it's not shocking that a site self describing as queer is doing apologetics for transphobes anyway. Kinda terfs mo to claim queer identity and then push trans people out of it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Season Three is worth watching for Raja alone IMHO.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

For Manila alone and Yara alone as well tbh

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

No amount of talent is going to make hearing transphobic slurs repeatedly worth it for me. I only got through the seasons I did because I was deeply in hiding and not confronting any emotional trauma at all.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

No amount of talent is going to make hearing transphobic slurs repeatedly worth it for me. I only got through the seasons I did because I was deeply in hiding and not confronting any emotional trauma at all.

I was not reading the thread super carefully; just saw that someone mentioned they thought it was rough and I thought they meant production-wise. I am in no way advocating for you to watch something you find transphobic and I apologize if I came off that way. :ohdear: I'm really sorry.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

esperterra posted:

For Manila alone and Yara alone as well tbh

Oh, I forgot that was Manila's season!

Yara I didn't super care about the first time I saw S3, but upon rewatching I'm really liking her.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I was not reading the thread super carefully; just saw that someone mentioned they thought it was rough and I thought they meant production-wise. I am in no way advocating for you to watch something you find transphobic and I apologize if I came off that way. :ohdear: I'm really sorry.

Oh, not saying you were doing that. Just throwing my two cents in. I'm rapidly realizing that most the other sa trans folks aren't into drag so I've suddenly become the voice of trans drag fans in like a dozen threads.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Tracy said it best:
https://birf.tumblr.com/post/171544139296/trixie-runs-the-show-now

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

Oh, not saying you were doing that. Just throwing my two cents in. I'm rapidly realizing that most the other sa trans folks aren't into drag so I've suddenly become the voice of trans drag fans in like a dozen threads.

Oh, okay, good. You are totally right not to. I've never seen Untucked, so I don't know about the frequency of people dropping that word.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Did Untucked even exist yet? I think I remember Manila and Raja being shady and cliquish in the show, but then Rulaskatox happened in what felt like a worse way. Still, Manila and Raja were remarkable and Manila's Imelda Marcos (Snatch Game) was a national treasure.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season 3 Untucked is where Shangela's sugar daddy speech and nickname as Nancy Drew of Drag came from. (and thus the nickname for fans who dig up spoilers/find out queens before they're announced, also)

Untucked started in S2. S1 had an Untucked-esque aftershow called Under the Hood, which was shorter and often between challenges instead of during deliberations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

cis autodrag posted:

If you have to specify you're not trolling

Well I specified because I wanted the answers you all gave me, which I appreciate and now better understand. But I also realize how in a written medium my question could have been read as snarky, which it wasn't. Asking questions is the only way folks like me will learn.

I've also been on the cigar forum long enough to see plenty of users bust in the door and breathlessly ask if cigars are surrogate penises. So thanks for the info, opinions and stuff :)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Plus I know how all you bitches be

;)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Season 3 is worth watching for Snatch Game. Yara Sofia does the best Amy winehouse I've ever seen.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

I've also been on the cigar forum long enough to see plenty of users bust in the door and breathlessly ask if cigars are surrogate penises.

Well....are they???

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Depends how you use them really.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Only if you win a second term.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I've never had my penis lit on fire before, so....no? YMMV

I've never even had a burning sensation when I pee. I did get the end clipped though, so there's that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CaptainScraps posted:

Season 3 is worth watching for Snatch Game. Yara Sofia does the best Amy winehouse I've ever seen.

I unironically love how that horrible (yet hilarious) performance is one Ru and Michelle hated at the time, but now look back fondly at or use as an example for queens to at least make more of an effort.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Yara Sofia could sell ice to a person who's already got a whole lot of ice and also hates ice.

I hated her contacts, though. She won me over when I noticed she was chewing gum in the workout video.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yara Sofia could sell ice to a person who's already got a whole lot of ice and also hates ice.

I hated her contacts, though. She won me over when I noticed she was chewing gum in the workout video.

Yeah she relied on the contacts a lot, but I loved the sort-of payoff in AS1 when she and Alexis came out in those dope-rear end outfits wearing one each. Yara was just such an interesting queen in general, and honestly the first 'spooky' or out there queen on the show, really.

Speaking of Alexis ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMbKibyjlvM

Season 3 is probably my favourite season. 2 and 4 are super close tho, but the combination of how long season 3 was and how hard it pushed the queens (literally to the breaking point in some situations) made for excellent television. (also season 3 untucked was just art rly. the sugar daddy speech, tullegate, all the heathers nonsense. only season 4 untucked comes close to and surpasses it at points and that's almost entirely on the strength of a. willam and b. latrice's laugh)

e: there are definitely a lot of things in it that make it hard to go back to with a modern mindset, or if you're sensitive to such things being thrown around so casually, but it was a different time and amazingly different television landscape despite not being that long ago and idk I feel pretty okay watching it, realizing how much stuff has changed, and kind of just rolling my eyes at the tomfoolery w/r/t how offensive some of the poo poo that came out of some of those queens mouths was.

e2: but i understand it being hard to watch for people. of the earlier seasons 3 probably had some of the worst casual throwing about of slurs on it by the queens themselves, wordplay that barely worked then and def doesn't work now was usually relegated to the she-mail segment or mini and maxi challenge names back then. I can't think of anything super egregious in seasons 2 or 4 when it comes to comments like that.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
God drat I'm loving Drag Race Thailand! Love some of the shade they're throwing.

"It was the worst vocal fry, two ants loving would have been louder than you"

One thing I really love is that the main runway and Maxi challenge are seperate challenges. Wish Rupauls drag race did that.

Jay O posted:

Well uh, that's bound to happen when you uh, paint yourself brown for an African look... :stonk: ...CULTURAL DIFFERENCES!

Oh dear, I just got to that part. I don't think there was any ill will behind it (like you say, different cultural baggage in the US/Europe) but... :stonk:

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 7, 2018

• Locked thread