Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Inward Perfectionists seem to be unable to demand tribute via diplomacy, even though this is listed as the one exception to their isolationism.

I'm guessing they can probably only do it via war goals, but I couldn't confirm because none of my neighbours hated me enough to actually war on me.

Anyone else run into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ugh these mandates are going to kill me. How can I fulfil build orbital research if everywhere is built up already? You cant demolish stations either that just puts your numbers in the negative.

This is why pirates are good

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

Molluscoid ships and stations are the prettiest.

Discuss.
You are correct.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GotLag posted:

Molluscoid ships and stations are the prettiest.

Discuss.

They're real good, but I think I'm more partial to fungoid ships. They're somehow sleek and lumpy at the same time, and I will never tire of the colossus animation. I haven't seen the Molluscoid death star yet, though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Bholder posted:

This is why pirates dictatorships are good

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They're real good, but I think I'm more partial to fungoid ships. They're somehow sleek and lumpy at the same time, and I will never tire of the colossus animation. I haven't seen the Molluscoid death star yet, though.

The absolutely good and correct ranking is

Molluscoid > Arthropoid = Fungoid > Reptilian > Avian = Humanoid >> straight loving garbage >> Mammalian = Plantoid

Avian and Humanoid ships always feel like they should be better looking to me. :sigh:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Aethernet posted:

Importantly, winning isn't about stars, but planets, which you have to have colonised or conquered. As it's a proportion of total colonies - including habitats - you can also win by spamming habitats until you reach the threshold.

I can't build habitats so that's out.
Guess this is going to take a while.

I'm just going to say again that I really hate invading planets since the new patch. It takes ages, it's made invasions even more intrusive.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Autonomous Monster posted:

Molluscoid > Arthropoid = Fungoid > Reptilian > Avian = Humanoid >> straight loving garbage >> Mammalian = Plantoid

Avian and Humanoid ships always feel like they should be better looking to me. :sigh:

I like Plantoid stations, especially with green as a flag colour (the solar panels are leaves!) but gently caress me are their ships ever ugly.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have the Horizon Signal Special Project at a black hole - do I remember seeing people post about it here? Is it something that I should avoid?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

For picket ships is it smarter to use corvettes or destroyers?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah interesting rare events should definitely be avoided

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have the Horizon Signal Special Project at a black hole - do I remember seeing people post about it here? Is it something that I should avoid?

Horizon signal is the best event chain in the game. Do it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Nonsense, nothing bad can happen.

Embrace it. Embrace the possibilities.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Things are going to change.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Just had the Contingency spawn into my heartlands, RIP that game.
with my current research speed it will take me over 2 years to fight the signal as a machine. :suicide:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I haven't played really since around the time of the robot addon. I actually liked warp, and i find hyperlanes irritating horse poo poo, to the point i'm kinda iffy about playing now.

Is the new expansion good, otherwise? It'd have to be drat amazing to make me want to put up with hyperlane but i've got an open mind if it's not bullshit otherwise.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

embrace the hyperlane goodness.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Autonomous Monster posted:

Plantoid is still the best and you can never change that sorry

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sedisp posted:

Depends on what you're fighting, but generally corvettes.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

basic hitler posted:

I haven't played really since around the time of the robot addon. I actually liked warp, and i find hyperlanes irritating horse poo poo, to the point i'm kinda iffy about playing now.

Is the new expansion good, otherwise? It'd have to be drat amazing to make me want to put up with hyperlane but i've got an open mind if it's not bullshit otherwise.

Try it out, and if it turns out that you like the new outpost system but hate hyperlanes just crank up the density to absurd levels and hide it on the main map.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Are the Crisis helpers guaranteed to show up at a specific point? I had the Scourge show up on the opposite side of the galaxy and decided I'm cool with letting them expand into the big annoying federation that I don't want to fight all at once, but they've slowed to a crawl. I've taken a wormhole system near their landing point and I'm all geared up to eat them from the inside, but if they're like five systems from triggering an event, I'll let them sit for a bit.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 7, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

basic hitler posted:

Give it an honest shot. You dont need to buy anything to opt into the 2.0.2 beta patch to give it a try. I hated the game after buying into the initial hype. It still has drawbacks but the strategic gameplay is MASSIVELY improved with in this new Hyperlane-only world, and I was a Wormhole fan when I first played the game.

I personally really enjoy a Large 4 arm spiral galaxy with Hyperlane Density set to 1.0 because you can build chokepoints with Starbases and control the movement of enemy ships, which, to me, makes the game much more enjoyable because they AI can just fly around being annoying as gently caress when you are at war.

Taear posted:

Horizon signal is the best event chain in the game. Do it.

WMain00 posted:

Nonsense, nothing bad can happen.

Embrace it. Embrace the possibilities.
:ohdear: I guess I'll go ahead and do it when I get home from work!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Broke: Not affording Apocalypse and wishing you could get nihilistic acquisition for your rogue servitor race.

Woke: setting a claim on a neighbor's planet, capturing it, peace agreement, airlifting your new biotrophies back home, then trading the planet back to help offset the diplomatic penalties.

They are now protected

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sedisp posted:

I'm pretty much 100% corvettes at this point. The mobility and surprising durability of them is wonderful, especially with the disengagement mechanic. You can lose a fleet battle full of corvettes and 90% of them make it home. They can also be fitted with most roles in mind. Typically i have a torpedo version and a picket/PD version and it holds its own in every combat

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Are the Crisis helpers guaranteed to show up at a specific point? I had the Scourge show up on the opposite side of the galaxy and decided I'm cool with letting them expand into the big annoying federation that I don't want to fight all at once, but they've slowed to a crawl. I've taken a wormhole system near their landing point and I'm all geared up to eat them from the inside, but if they're like five systems from triggering an event, I'll let them sit for a bit.

The scourge got hosed up in my game after conquering a sixth of the galaxy or so, they maybe need a boost at expanding - fleet strength is fine but they don't really seem to do much. I never saw the helpers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So, I'm having a interesting game.

I'm playing as Life Seeded/Free Haven xenophile/pacifist/spiritualist space hydras with the intent of poaching a bunch of immigrants with migration treaties to my (now apparently multiple) lush gaia world and colonizing from there. The problem: So far my neighbors are an Inward Perfection shitlord and a Xenophile/Militarist honorbound warrior. The Xenophile isn't totally unworkable I don't think, they're only -20 with me due to the shared xenophilia. Does anyone have any ideas on how to butter them up for migration treaties? I've never gone with quite such a diplomacy emphasis before.

Also yeah that's a Tomb World Sol with upliftable cockroaches literally right next to my capitol :psyduck:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm playing as Life Seeded/Free Haven xenophile/pacifist/spiritualist space hydras with the intent of poaching a bunch of immigrants with migration treaties to my (now apparently multiple) lush gaia world and colonizing from there. The problem: So far my neighbors are an Inward Perfection shitlord and a Xenophile/Militarist honorbound warrior. The Xenophile isn't totally unworkable I don't think, they're only -20 with me due to the shared xenophilia. Does anyone have any ideas on how to butter them up for migration treaties? I've never gone with quite such a diplomacy emphasis before.

Also yeah that's a Tomb World Sol with upliftable cockroaches literally right next to my capitol :psyduck:

Guarantee independence, take diplo traditions and let trust tick up.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Rogue servitors should not start next to two pre ftl species and one in need of uplifting.

I mean, it's awesome, but this game is gonna be broken.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Guaranteeing Independence and Research Agreements both increase Trust.

There's also an edict (not sure if it's there at start or comes in later) that doubles trust gain.

You can go from "kinda don't like you" to "best friends forever" in just a few years with all of those going.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Archenteron posted:

Broke: Not affording Apocalypse and wishing you could get nihilistic acquisition for your rogue servitor race.

Woke: setting a claim on a neighbor's planet, capturing it, peace agreement, airlifting your new biotrophies back home, then trading the planet back to help offset the diplomatic penalties.

They are now protected

I'll be honest, Nihilistic Acquisition seems like a cool concept, but the mechanics of how it works and what's required for it to work makes me think just conquering for bio-trophies is the better idea.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Imagine their reaction. They leave their beautiful paradise and the first thing they see is an apocalyptic hellscape full of irradiated bugs. I'd turn right around and head home never to leave again.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Has anyone made Gungans yet?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

Imagine their reaction. They leave their beautiful paradise and the first thing they see is an apocalyptic hellscape full of irradiated bugs. I'd turn right around and head home never to leave again.

“Sooo... habitats. Habitats sound like a good idea”

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Benagain posted:

Rogue servitors should not start next to two pre ftl species and one in need of uplifting.

I mean, it's awesome, but this game is gonna be broken.

Play as exterminators/servitors, crank pre-ftl civs up to max. Enjoy the free ride

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Is there any reason I should be skeptical of a size 24 tomb world named "Abundance" set in a dead end system on the edge of the galaxy?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Its probably just a primitive civ that nuked itself.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Is there any reason I should be skeptical of a size 24 tomb world named "Abundance" set in a dead end system on the edge of the galaxy?

Gaia Worlds Gone Wild

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Westminster System posted:

Its probably just a primitive civ that nuked itself.
Those turn into Toxic worlds for some reason.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Those turn into Toxic worlds for some reason.

It's random chance I believe. 75% for Tomb World, 25% for Toxic World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magil Zeal posted:

It's random chance I believe. 75% for Tomb World, 25% for Toxic World.
Huh, thats unfortunate then since I had two turn Toxic in a game where I started on a Tomb World haha