Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

rip to that person but the design is worth it. after the years of fighting with microsoft it just wouldnt be acceptable for the apple hq to have windows

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i have to send my mac for repairs because the battery is expanding and messing with the trackpad

i would like to backup the non-replaceable data on it which is like 30gb because i dont do anything useful with the computer or in life in general. i thought id use iclouds 50gb for a buck a month rather than buying an external hard drive. is there some mac app for managing backups to icloud? ideally it would monitor some folders and upload a fresh copy when a file in them changes

poty
Jun 21, 2008

nevermind just found that theres a hidden feature in "about this mac" -> hard drives -> manage where you can say you want the documents and photos folders synced to icloud automatically

thats like 99% of what i wanted to save so good enough

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

poty posted:

i have to send my mac for repairs because the battery is expanding and messing with the trackpad

i would like to backup the non-replaceable data on it which is like 30gb because i dont do anything useful with the computer or in life in general. i thought id use iclouds 50gb for a buck a month rather than buying an external hard drive. is there some mac app for managing backups to icloud? ideally it would monitor some folders and upload a fresh copy when a file in them changes

poty posted:

nevermind just found that theres a hidden feature in "about this mac" -> hard drives -> manage where you can say you want the documents and photos folders synced to icloud automatically

just works

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

akadajet posted:

How about : Yes, haven't upgraded b/c iPhone X is a top notch phone!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

poty posted:

also it will delete it from your local storage so you don't have to worry about someone stealing that data from the machine

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i dont know why they dont let you choose which folders to backup. the setting is already hidden as gently caress its not like normal people will click it by mistake while doing everyday stuff

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

reminder that iCloud Drive is NOT backup, it's a sync solution so use it as a backup with care and caution

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

reminder that iCloud Drive is NOT backup, it's a sync solution so use it as a backup with care and caution

especially since in apple cloud language "sync" means "delete"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes, file deletions are synced, so exercise caution

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

yes, file deletions are synced, so exercise caution

i was referring to the way they delete your local copies upon upload

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes icloud does selectively purge its local cache if needed if some files haven't been accessed in a while.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

what does this mean. whats wrong with using it for my use case

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

What are good backup options if I just want to dump things to a synology share?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

You have a 30 day window to recover deleted files so its not as bad as they are making it seem

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21250?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

rsync?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

poty posted:

what does this mean. whats wrong with using it for my use case

it means what i said: icloud drive, like all similar products (onedrive, google drive, etc.) is not meant as a backup store. it's purely used for keeping files in sync between active devices. you shouldn't rely on it as the only "backup" for some irreplaceable files

as for your use case, in theory you should be good since apple's not going to login and mess up your icloud sync or delete any files, but you ARE sending a laptop off for repairs for a while and using a sync solution as a backup, which i wouldnt trust 100%.

maybe explicitly download the synced folders to another machine just to be sure/back it up somewhere else.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

on osx cant you just use that as a time machine target?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

on osx cant you just use that as a time machine target?

I have no idea I put all my important docs on onedrive but I'd rather not lose applications or config files when I send this thing in for service. I'll give that a spin

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it has to be an afp share, and the unit has to support time machine, iirc.

i'm pretty sure all the synologys in the last five years or so do. it breaks a non-zero amount of the time though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Time Machine works over SMB 3 as of macOS Sierra

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I have no idea I put all my important docs on onedrive but I'd rather not lose applications or config files when I send this thing in for service. I'll give that a spin

idk much about osx other than its not very good, but i would imagine the best way to back it up would be to use its built in backup software. even if its a one time backup its probably easier to restore from than a rsync

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

time machine is very good, it just used to be rather finicky about running on anything other than a local external drive or a time capsule. if it supports smb3 now it's probably better

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Try an external usb hard disk. Pretty sure they won't get deleted off one just because you don't plug it in for a month

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

it means what i said: icloud drive, like all similar products (onedrive, google drive, etc.) is not meant as a backup store. it's purely used for keeping files in sync between active devices. you shouldn't rely on it as the only "backup" for some irreplaceable files

as for your use case, in theory you should be good since apple's not going to login and mess up your icloud sync or delete any files, but you ARE sending a laptop off for repairs for a while and using a sync solution as a backup, which i wouldnt trust 100%.

maybe explicitly download the synced folders to another machine just to be sure/back it up somewhere else.

ok ill upload it to backblaze too thanks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wheany posted:

Try an external usb hard disk. Pretty sure they won't get deleted off one just because you don't plug it in for a month

do this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so what's the difference between force touch and 3d touch?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

more levels of sensitivity to use for press gestures I think

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I literally have no idea. except that force touch sounds like something for which you should be arrested.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

6 shits in one hand, half a dozen shits in the other

ufarn
May 30, 2009
facebook is bad but i’m here for their cso making GBS threads on apple keyboards https://twitter.com/alexstamos/status/971227426423414784

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my .02c, typing on the iPad in landscape mode is comfortable and actually kinda satisfying. makes me feel like I’m using Dillinger’s terminal in TRON. I’d rank it above butterfly switches, maybe on par with Apple scissor switches

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Silver Alicorn posted:

my .02c, typing on the iPad in landscape mode is comfortable and actually kinda satisfying. makes me feel like I’m using Dillinger’s terminal in TRON. I’d rank it above butterfly switches, maybe on par with Apple scissor switches

using an iPad I’ve never gotten close to the speed I can type on a real keyboard

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ipad is on the way out anyway, the ipad mini is going away soon and the ipad maxi is flopping big time so thanks to tim's incompetence it'll be touchbar macs and iphablets only soon enough

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

7" tablets are a good form factor for point of sale systems, I see a lot of bars and coffee shops that use them as square terminals

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well then a boon for the android garbage tablet mill that tim is getting out of that terrible form factor he should never have pursued

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The Management posted:

using an iPad I’ve never gotten close to the speed I can type on a real keyboard

if i need to do any kind of serious typing I don’t want a laptop size keyboard at all

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Penguissimo posted:

also it will delete it from your local storage so you don't have to worry about someone stealing that data from the machine

keep seeing people say this and it's wrong
local copies remain, with changes/deletions syncing. only infrequently accessed files become online only.

when you enable sync to icloud, osx then points your current desktop to a new, empty icloud one while data uploads in the background. probably a clunky sync implementation but i'm not a highly paid apple engineer so i don't want to suppose why it's done this way.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

if i need to do any kind of serious typing i need to reconsider my life choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember when that dj lost his entire music library to the cloud just before an event and tweeted asking for help?

good times