Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
It just looked like an even dumber treasure hunt show, no templar involved. Wait no, they're everywhere, even sinking a barge of Confederate gold in one of the great lakes.

The guys sitting around the pile of junk they pulled out of the ground with the narrator going on about what it could mean for world history was some great poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why would there be confederate gold in the great lakes? This doesn't make any sense at all. The confederacy was broke as poo poo all the time.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I know, it's complete nonsense and I only watched like a minute of it before changing the channel. Which was still long enough to hear a guy say something like "speaking treasure hunter to treasure hunter I know this one's real".

Dammit now I'm making myself want to watch the rest of it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Why would there be confederate gold in the great lakes? This doesn't make any sense at all. The confederacy was broke as poo poo all the time.

Broke as far as governments go, but still a considerable amount to individuals. There are documented chunks of the treasury that have gone unaccounted for. Plenty got made off with by various CSA personnel that had been carrying it or the Union troops that came across it. But I'm not sure any of the documented thefts and losses ever passed a few hundred thousand in back then dollars.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

For instance, there was about $450k in gold and silver evacuated alongside the CSA treasury from Richmond area banks. The treasury itself has been largely accounted for (even as chunks were stolen along the way), but the bank holdings disappeared from the historic record in Washington GA, about a 150 north of Jefferson Davis capture location. The treasury is smeared over that 150 miles as payouts to soldiers, commanders, and various people that were supposed to hide it. Including a detachment of Ohioan cavalry that infiltrated Davis' entourage. But those bank holdings have never turned up, and that trail is impossible to follow.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Elephanthead posted:

They probably were watching "Murdock Mysteries" from the CBC (Canadian TV) and got mixed up as to reality vs. fantasy. It's not like that's ever happened on this show before. ;-)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sash! posted:

Broke as far as governments go, but still a considerable amount to individuals. There are documented chunks of the treasury that have gone unaccounted for. Plenty got made off with by various CSA personnel that had been carrying it or the Union troops that came across it. But I'm not sure any of the documented thefts and losses ever passed a few hundred thousand in back then dollars.

Yeah the basic idea makes sense, especially since this conspiracy is just 20 random guys from Michigan who stole some gold once. However I can't wait to find out how the Templars/Illuminati/Mole People were involved :allears:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I found the season finale pretty lacking. Actually I found your comments about the crazy confederate gold treasure hunters (or rather just watching the first segment) more entertaining than the finale. Even by Oak Island standards, this season was so bloated and padded. The season finale just showed the producers literally had nothing to show. The dig failed and the producers tried to pretend it didn’t. They had to stage the final war room segment with all the “evidence” they found this year just to force feed us all the teams “successes” this year. Marty had even previously told us his “bombshell” revelation that he now believes in the mystery of the island. Man, I hope next season goes way better than this one did. I guess I should not be really surprised this is how the season as a whole and the finale in particular turned out.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

I loved the fact that for several episodes prior to the finale they were adamant that NOTHING could stop the caisson-drill except a huge thick sheet of metal.

Then it turns out to be... a rock.

Now we're told "some granite is harder than steel" and apparently the caisson/drill can't in fact "go through anything". ... or at least not this new "hard as steel" boulder.

Way to double back on stuff guys.

What a sad and pathetic season it's been. The only thing of even remote interest to me was the drilling. The dude with the metal finder was just sad. It's not like folks haven't been living on the island for some time and probably lost stuff over the years. (that or salting as I've suggested for a while now).

The last 10 min tie-in to the dimbulb con-fed-er-ate gold in the lake was also really pathetic. I guess when one "reality" show tanks you gotta double down.

It will be interesting to see if there's even a next season.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Michigan guys trying to dig up a locomotive was so amateur hour that it makes Oak Island look as refined and practiced as an Apollo moon landing.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
We can only speculate, but notice the Oak Island “tie in” to the confederate gold hunters has only been Marty. Marty, as far as we know the shrewd business mind... perhaps his appearances are purely calculated business transactions to get History.Channel to pump more money into the Oak Island hunt. “Paid cameo?” Yeah I think so.

Regardless, it’s pretty obvious the show had to shoot around the problems at the Money Pit dig. So we got the trip to France, the continuing adventures of Gary Drayton, the Laginas enlisting the help of the Nolan Estate, that time they wasted a 3rd of an episode worrying about Rick getting a tick bite... etc etc. Perhaps the show shifted things around in time. It wouldn’t be he first time in the show either: remember how you could see the crew wearing t shirts for the second cofer dam contractors tasked with draining the swamp before we saw the episodes introducing the contractor and the failed first attempt to drain the swamp?

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Right now it certainly does seem to be all about the "moichandising" as Mel Brooks once said. I'm surprised they don't shill mugs and t-shirts at the end of the show.

More treasure in that than the island, I think.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sash! posted:

The Michigan guys trying to dig up a locomotive was so amateur hour that it makes Oak Island look as refined and practiced as an Apollo moon landing.

If you aren't watching this for the sheer hilarity of Cargo Cult Oak Island, you're missing out. :allears:

They were on a beach with 20 locals with shovels, garden hoses attached to a 20hp pump from the Walmart sporting goods dept, and ~~++STEEL CAISSONS++~~ that kept flooding and collapsing. And a pvc pipe with an auger like a tiny version of the Oak Island drill. For a second there I thought they were gonna strap a webcam on a mouse and send it down the shaft with string.

This show is even more entertaining than Oak Island IMO.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I did feel bad for the dude breaking his hip or whatever it turns out to be when he was diving into the lake.

Also, finding the box full of keys was hilarious.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
half-watched the Confederate Gold finale

in a previous episode their diver almost died, the new divers went down and couldn't see poo poo but there's some fuzzy images on sonar or whatever and something may be metal based on this other thing so that's good enough to keep going because COULD IT BE a boxcar

so Oak Island as hell, but still may actually be less stupid than Oak Island

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

As an example, it seems more reasonable to say “We’re taking a break for a few months because our leader needs hip surgery” instead of “we’re done for a season because weather turns bad in a month or our dig company’s equipment completely failed due to not planning for the most likely outcome.”

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Bringing this thread back from the dead to say that I guess I was wrong when I joked about them being out of money. They are apparently going all out this year.

The people that live by the road and blog the activity of the crew said they have been running huge convoys of equipment and materials for the past month. Including a shitload of steel girders/framing and stone.

https://www.facebook.com/oakislandfromtheothersideofthecauseway/

Looks like they even moved in a new house sized "Research Center" and constructed a huge road/pad at Smith's Cove.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 15, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I would unironically consider going there for a trip with my mom, who also watches the show. I wonder if it's better or worse accesswise to visit during digging season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Clearly, they stole the Confederate gold from the other guys and used it to finance the Oak Island operation.

• Locked thread