Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
(Sections STILL directly lifted from KatWithHand's Season 1 OP!)

This thread will contain SPOILERS for Seasons 1 AND 2! If you have not finished both, do that first and stick to those threads!

Putting this right up top this time, since last year it got a little stupid.
/!\ Please be cool about book stuff. /!\
Keep it in its own thread. If a singular, unconnected event has occurred in the show, let's be cool about discussing how it was different in the book. Don't discuss poo poo that could possibly spoiler future events. It's not that hard.

If you think it's even POSSIBLE it might ruin something coming up, shut the gently caress up with that poo poo. Thanks, beratna.

What happened in Season 1: In Season 1, the disappearance of rich-girl-turned-political-activist Julie Mao linked the lives of Ceres' detective Joe Miller (Thomas Jane), accidental ship captain James Holden (Steven Strait) and U.N. politician Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo). Amidst political tension between Earth, Mars and the Asteroid Belt, these three individuals unravel the single greatest conspiracy of all time.

What happened in Season 2: The Protomolecule has taken over Eros and threatens the safety of the entire solar system. From there, the larger conspiracy to control the protomolecule is further unraveled, as the crew of the Rocinante, UN Undersecretary Avasarala and Martian solider Bobbie Draper attempt to prevent system wide war AND stop a mysterious new creature.

Season 3 Premiere: April 11th 10PM/9PM on Syfy.

The Characters

James Holden
S1: Former almost-XO of the now-destroyed Canterbury. Earther. Now de-facto captain of the stolen Martian frigate Tachi, re-christened Rocinante. Has an overdeveloped sense of responsibility, which may have been permanently triggered by guilt due to being the roundabout cause of the Canterbury's destruction.
S2: Got very, very Ahab-ish in his quest to destroy the humanoid Protomolecule creature and eradicate all remaining samples from the solar system.

, alternatively
Josephus Miller
S1: Former Star Helix(private police) officer on Ceres. Belter. A bit of a washout-waste of a cop who's working with a newly discovered strength of conscience. Became slightly obsessed with discovering the fate of Julie Mao, to the point of inadvertent career suicide, burning his goodwill with the OPA and leaving Ceres to inadvertently link up with Holden's crew. Now that he's learned the fate of Julie, he's searching for those responsible for the Eros disaster and bring them to something approximating justice. The hat may very well be gone for good.
S2: Ended up riding Eros all the way into Venus after talking Julie Mao into directing it there instead of Earth with the power of :love:LOVE:love:. May or may not be the first and only person to have banged a human/asteroid hybrid. No sign of him since the Venusian impact.

Naomi Nagata
S1: Former Canterbury engineer, particularly overqualified and brilliant at her job. Belter. Has a vaguely defined past of working with/for the OPA and doing things she regrets. Seems to be becoming the emotional anchor for the Rocinante, keeping everything grounded and mediating internal disputes.
S2: Lots of tension between her deeply ingrained Belter loyalties and loyalty to Holden. Secretly stashed a sample of Protomolecule that she was tasked with destroying, and later gave it to Fred Johnson. She confessed this to Holden, and that's likely to be a Big Time Problem.

Alex Kamal
S1: Former pilot of the Canterbury, now pilot of the Rocinante. Martian. Retired low-level pilot for the Martian Navy. Alex is more emotionally affected and sympathetic by the events on Eros, and seems to be a terrible drinking buddy.
S2: Still piloting, still pretty awesome.

Amos Burton
S1: Former mechanic on the Canterbury, now mechanic/meatbus on the Rocinante. Earther. Amos has a very... direct and simple view of the world free of pesky things like abstract morality or conscience. He looks to Naomi for guidance, she's basically his external compass for right/wrong and he defers to her almost completely.
S2: Still punching things, still pretty awesome.

The above characters all fly together on the Rocinante and form the core of the show.

Other characters:

Chrisjen Avasarala
S1: Deputy Undersecretary of the UN, the UN runs Earth. A shrewd and adept politician with a demonstrated propensity for "winning" at high cost, Chrisjen realizes that Mars and Earth are being manipulated into war and is working her own resources to find out who is responsible and prevent it.
S2: After figuring out a lot of what was going on via good detective work, accepted an invitation from Jules-Pierre Mao to meet and get some answers, while protected by Bobbie Draper. Ended up nearly murdered for her trouble in a power play by Errinwright.

Juliette Andromeda Mao
S1: Dead. The misguided and idealistic daughter of a very rich and powerful Earther, Julie was briefly captured by the ship(of unknown provenance) that destroyed the Canterbury, and came in contact with the Protomolecule. She fled to Eros, where she was overcome with the infection and died. Her body was used to obtain samples of the protomolecule to infect citizens of Eros.
S2: Building SOMETHING on Venus.

Fred Johnson
S1: Former UN military commander who was held responsible for the murder of belters rioting on Anderson station while they were trying to surrender. Left the Earth military to run Tycho Station in the belt and is now a higher level member of the OPA. Also working on building the Nauvoo for the Mormons(?!) Was instrumental in Julie Mao's fate, as he was her OPA contact who sent her after the ship containing the protomolecule.
S2: Managed to use the Earth's attempt to fire hundreds of nukes to destroy Eros as an opportunity to steal quite a few as a bargaining chip, defending them against a coup by the OPA led by Anderson Dawes.

Bobbie Draper
S1: Martian armored commando.
S2: Former Martian supremacist, after being attacked along with her squad by a Protomolecule monster and being the only survivor, became a valuable witness but was roundly dismissed by just about everyone, except perhaps Avasarala. Became totally disillusioned with her own government and has become basically attached to Avasarala.

Praxidike Meng
S2: Survivor of the attack on Ganymede Station. Gained a bitching headscar, but lost his daughter. His daughter was a patient of a doctor related to Protomolecule research also sought by the crew of the Rocinante, so they link up to find him.

I am going to avoid listing any of the new Season 3 characters until they show up. At least one of them kinda sorta might be a spoiler in a way? Maybe? But certainly several new characters from the books will be arriving this season.

The Places/Factions

Earth - Earth is a comfy place to exist, comparatively. Currently inhabited by approximately 30 billion citizens, the vast majority of which depend on basic government assistance for all material needs and do not work. A job is a rare and precious commodity. Led by the UN.

Mars - Former Earth colony, now independent and with a population of approximately 9 billion. An escalation of aggression that took place before the series led to Martian independence and tensions are reduced, but ongoing. Mars is still mostly uninhabitable, but a decades long plan for terraforming the planet into an unspoiled, Earth-like habitat is underway. Mars has a very strong economic and scientific presence in the system.

The Belt/OPA - The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, with major settlements on Ceres and Eros. Somewhere between 50-100 million total belters, spread across many stations and asteroids. Ceres is the the largest population center in the system behind Mars with about 6 million inhabitants. The belt is mined heavily for raw materials to support ease-of-life on Earth and ongoing terraforming efforts on Mars. Living conditions are generally terrible and the belters typically feel that they are abused and taken advantage of by Earth and Mars alike. The OPA(Outer Planets Alliance) is a semi-terrorist organization that seeks Belter independence and self-governance. Due to gravitational differences, people raised in the Belt tend to be tall and very slender, and they are unable to function in stronger gravity wells, like Earth's. The low gravity requires a cocktail of drugs to ward off developmental issues when growing up.

How Do They Eat or Breathe? Any Other Science Facts?
- The invention of the Epstein Drive means that ships no longer take lengthy circuitous fuel-sipping routes from place to place. Now they accelerate constantly in a mostly linear fashion straight toward the objective, then flip around and burn to decelerate the rest of the way. Travel between places in the show takes a few months at worst instead of years.
- Weaponry tends to be still projectile based. Torpedoes, railguns, and plain old bullets.
- Stealth tech is a thing.
- Gravity is simulated through acceleration/deceleration on ships and via spinning stations with people walking on the outer edge of rings with their heads toward the center. Gravity is still much lower outside of Earth, for example it's only about 0.3G on Ceres. Moving between gravitation levels can be hard on people accustomed to higher or lower gravity conditions.
- Good coffee is hard to find.
- The show is generally very highly praised for its adherence to science. Newton's laws are in full effect. edit: except for the protomolecule, apparently.

By the end of Season 1
, Julie was dead and Eros's citizens had been rounded up into shelters, dosed with the protomolecule, and then bombarded by tremendous doses of radiation to feed it and accelerate its evolution. Monitoring equipment has been set up to document the effects, and while our heroes have identified particular individuals as responsible, the master architects behind the plan and the objective are still unknown.
Miller had met up/teamed up with the crew of the Rocinante to escape Eros. Miller and Holden have been hit with enough radiation to become night lights.
Amos killed an old friend of Miller's who tried to get them to leave on the Rocinante before Holden and Miller arrived.
Now the Rocinante is returning to Tycho station to report to Fred Johnson and enlist help in raiding the station to where the Eros perpetrators have fled.

By the end of Season 2, Eros had smashed into Venus and commenced construction of SOMETHING only barely glimpsed. A ship entering Venus's atmosphere for a closer look was summarily disassembled midair by an unseen force.
The Rocinante managed to finally kill the Protomolecule monster, but others may exist. They also tracked and nearly rescued Meng's daughter in the secret research facility on Ganymede, but some of the perpetrators escaped with her. She's shown to be alive.
On Earth, Errinwright is definitely moving to consolidate power, after murdering the Martian Defense Minister and trying to kill Avasarala. Not entirely sure what his endgame is.
Fred Johnson has the only (known) protomolecule sample AND a stable full of Earth's nuclear missiles.

The cat recap for Season 2 has not been released, but here's Season 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

Season 3 episode names/dates yet to be released.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
HMU with the dozens of mistakes that no doubt exist in the OP.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ground floor.

First mistake I see is the [poo poo POST] thread tag but depending on how many munts post book spoilers without reading the first four lines of the drat OP that might end up being accurate

Dancer
May 23, 2011
How the gently caress did you not mention 2nd best accent holder in the show Drummer (1st being Krisjen)?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You need pictures of the spaceships in your thread about the spaceship show

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Other population figures: nine billion on Mars, 50 to 100 million in the Belt and outer planets (Earth/Mars claims vs. OPA claims). Largest population center beyond Mars's orbit is Ceres with a population of six million.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Also, I think you're underestimating the travel times a bit. Earth to Luna might be hours, but pretty much anything else is days to weeks, and the moons of Saturn and beyond take months to each. Still beats the years it would take with the methods we have now, of course, and the show hasn't exactly played up travel times so far.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Im here to watch shooty space shows and crush rear end to dust.

And im all outta rear end...

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Toast Museum posted:

Other population figures: nine billion on Mars, 50 to 100 million in the Belt and outer planets (Earth/Mars claims vs. OPA claims). Largest population center beyond Mars's orbit is Ceres with a population of six million.

Book Ceres is 6 million, I think show Ceres was listed a lot smaller in S1.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Book Ceres is 6 million, I think show Ceres was listed a lot smaller in S1.

Eros got reduced from 1.5 million to 150,000 for some reason, but I think Ceres either stayed at six million or hasn't had its population specified.

Also, heads up to anyone who hasn't read all the books, the Expanse wiki includes show information but is lousy with book spoilers in unexpected places.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I got an image from twitter you might wanna use

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I like this OP.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
SEASON 3

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hot take this scene is actually dumb and bad. Also it's stupid that they made Ade a white Norwegian girl for some reason.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
my name is ade.....nygaard

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Crazycryodude posted:

Hot take this scene is actually dumb and bad. Also it's stupid that they made Ade a white Norwegian girl for some reason.

It's even worse on bluray (:laffo: digital pasties :heysexy: ) and yeah, making her an aryan, especially when she dies in the first ep, is a pretty overtly racist casting decision. :smith:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Am I excited?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Given how they've been mixing things together for the show so far I am extremely excited for what S3 might have in store.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kazinsal posted:

Ground floor.

First mistake I see is the [poo poo POST] thread tag but depending on how many munts post book spoilers without reading the first four lines of the drat OP that might end up being accurate

Every goddamn time. I always forget this.

Dancer posted:

How the gently caress did you not mention 2nd best accent holder in the show Drummer (1st being Krisjen)?

I struggle with this, but my subjective criteria was to basically only list characters that are viewpoint characters in the books or major players with a ton of scenes. Drummer is undeniably great, but we can go several episodes without seeing her. This is sad, but true.

Tighclops posted:

You need pictures of the spaceships in your thread about the spaceship show

Will do.

Toast Museum posted:

Got it.

Toast Museum posted:

Also, I think you're underestimating the travel times a bit. Earth to Luna might be hours, but pretty much anything else is days to weeks, and the moons of Saturn and beyond take months to each. Still beats the years it would take with the methods we have now, of course, and the show hasn't exactly played up travel times so far.

I think you're right, edited. And yeah, the show makes things happen when they need to happen. (shrug).

Agreeing with the above that this scene was gratuitous and terrible.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Really hope they avoid the weird issue from season...2? or was it back in S1? where some of the direct-to-video vendors accidentally got the TV edits. (Speaking specifically to cussin' and straight up cut content, don't care about terrible TV sex scenes.)

And put me down on the list of book readers excited to see how they continue remixing and tweaking the material from the books.

EDIT: page 1 :toot: over a decade on this dumb website and I finally made it!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope Adam Savage comes back

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep wondering what happened to this show, it feels like forever since I saw season 2.

The excellent youtube channel Space Dock has excellent Expanse related videos

Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS4vzoQm_xw&list=PLqOEDroJnZHxjytQ9SISzr5dpw49yHHsb

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's even worse on bluray (:laffo: digital pasties :heysexy: ) and yeah, making her an aryan, especially when she dies in the first ep, is a pretty overtly racist casting decision. :smith:

They actually cast her as white because she dies in the first episode. They didn't want to kill a named POC right at the start.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Please include more cats in OP, thanks

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the show has 3 non euro women as lead characters. I wouldn't sweat the loss of one character who disappears almost immediately.

https://twitter.com/Mi55Tipper/status/968563413206126592

edit: thinking back to the post I made where I said that Frankie Adams wasn't large enough. lol

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

That's more of a book thing. In the show, it's pretty obvious that only like a week or two at most have passed since the beginning, despite the massive travel distances. I can't really fault them for it though, having a bunch of "several months later" cards between each scene wouldn't make for good TV.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

uber_stoat posted:

the show has 3 non euro women as lead characters. I wouldn't sweat the loss of one character who disappears almost immediately.

edit: thinking back to the post I made where I said that Frankie Adams wasn't large enough. lol

They sure as poo poo shoot her as flatly as possible though so her size is never shown off.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Y'know, this is the first time I've really payed attention to that. (Hopefully not in the lovely, mincing white guy way.) Cheers to this!

Setting question: How does emigration from Earth to Mars work? Especially with the long term cold war, is this a thing a person could just do? Could someone show up at the Martian embassy and ask to move if they wanted to live under a dome and work 24hrs and 37 minutes a day?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
drat Roberta is a big girl

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Y'know, this is the first time I've really payed attention to that. (Hopefully not in the lovely, mincing white guy way.) Cheers to this!

Setting question: How does emigration from Earth to Mars work? Especially with the long term cold war, is this a thing a person could just do? Could someone show up at the Martian embassy and ask to move if they wanted to live under a dome and work 24hrs and 37 minutes a day?

I think it's more difficult than that. I think it's already happened in the show but frankly it's not a big deal: one of Avasalara's political contacts had been planning to move to Mars to retire and it got inadvertently derailed as a side effect of her using him against Mars. He was a moderately powerful guy and he got denied resettlement because he was used by Avasalara I think completely obliviously. Sorry it's a little foggy, it's been awhile.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I don't think it's ever fully spelled out, but I think emigration would mostly be an option for the wealthy/well-connected or the highly talented. Mars has a huge population in its own right, so they're not looking to give people on Basic a fresh start.

Besides Avasarala's diplomat buddy/patsy, one of the marines in Bobbie's squad is a first- or second-generation emigrant. He's not the rich one in the group, so presumably his family didn't just buy its way in, but beyond that we're not given much.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

uber_stoat posted:

It's really frustrating to me that shows that obviously put real effort into inclusion are the ones that get poo poo on and nitpicked for any tiny detail. Meanwhile Law&Order:Conneticut or whatever network garbage is able to coast by on one token minority and two or three guest spots a season completely unscathed. Also, making her "aryan" loving lol.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I don't give a poo poo how many "diverse" characters a show has just for the sake of diversity. I do give a poo poo when they make an explicitly Nigerian character into a Norwegian for some indiscernible reason. Ade has all of five minutes of screen time, it's not like they needed to find an actress that could work on the show long-term and had to make a concession to casting constraints. I'm sure there were dozens of black actresses that were just as available and happy to work for one portion of one episode as the generic blond white girl they went with.

It's not like the casting choice for a minor character ruined the show or anything, I'm obviously still watching and still like it, but I think it was a dumb and bad decision that I can see no real justification for.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 9, 2018

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

I don't give a poo poo how many "diverse" characters a show has just for the sake of diversity. I do give a poo poo when they make an explicitly Nigerian character into a Norwegian for some indiscernible reason. Ade has all of five minutes of screen time, it's not like they needed to find an actress that could work on the show long-term and had to make a concession to casting constraints. I'm sure there were dozens of black actresses that were just as available and happy to work for one portion of one episode as the generic blond white girl they went with.

It's not like the casting choice ruined the show or anything, I'm obviously still watching and still like it, but I think it was a dumb and bad decision that I can see no real justification for.

Is Naomi Nagata explicitly described as being mulatto? I forget. Or what?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fister Roboto posted:

That's more of a book thing. In the show, it's pretty obvious that only like a week or two at most have passed since the beginning, despite the massive travel distances. I can't really fault them for it though, having a bunch of "several months later" cards between each scene wouldn't make for good TV.

You know I never really considered the passage of time in the show and how long it took. I figured at least a couple months though if only because of the distances

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Crazycryodude posted:

It's not like the casting choice for a minor character ruined the show or anything, I'm obviously still watching and still like it, but I think it was a dumb and bad decision that I can see no real justification for.

somewhere a casting director's eye is twitching and he/she doesn't know why.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Crazycryodude posted:

Replace your post with "Wow, they have a black character and then kill her within five minutes. What a *thing from TV tropes*."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

Replace your post with "Wow, they have a black character and then kill her within five minutes. What a *thing from TV tropes*."

:thejoke:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Collateral posted:

Is Naomi Nagata explicitly described as being mulatto? I forget. Or what?

She's described as "a mix of African, Asian, and South American." And also seven feet tall. I can understand not having actors perfectly portray the book characters (especially major ones) because sometimes you can't get someone who looks just right to commit to the schedule you need, or it's physically impossible/financially prohibitive to nail the look of the character, or whatever. I'm fine with the Belters not all being 8 feet tall and built like Slenderman. I'm fine with the Indian character actually being Persian. But do you really think they couldn't get someone who looked even vaguely Nigerian to play the Nigerian character that exists for all of 5 minutes?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Maybe they had a good working relationship with Kristen Hager from her time on the other Syfy show Being Human, and figured that since the character would be around for 5 minutes it wouldn't be a big deal? Maybe they wanted to cast a recognizable face so it would be more shocking when she got killed right away (I know this was my reaction)?