Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, if we're fair then we should realize that its a lot easier to say "you should learn these 20 skills that are always factors on Survivor" than it is to actually do that in a short period of time between starting casting and filming. Like unless you have no fulltime job and a lot of disposable income there's probably only so much you can do even if you try. It would be easier to focus on one or two skills like starting fires and fishing, and stuff like swimming or puzzle solving probably takes time to really get good at and you won't necessarily replicate the actual conditions you'll experience on Survivor.

So I mean, I laugh as much as the next guy who can't swim whenever a Survivor can't swim and it becomes a focus of the show. And I'd definitely try and find a place to practice starting fires if I was cast. But the big picture is probably more complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
1) Fires: You absolutely have to figure this out because as we saw last season and presumably going forward, that can be the coin flip of you staying or going 38 days in. Mandatory.
2) Slide Puzzles: You have a phone. Shut up, you do, you know you do motherfucker. Download an app and learn it while you poo poo.
3) Swimming: Easier said than done for some people but what better reason do you need to learn this life-saving skill than a 1 in 20 shot at at $1,000,000? Not being able to swim makes you a liability and as we have seen through 35 seasons, people who are liabilities can become easy consensus boots when nobody wants to make a hashtag-laden game move.
4) Circus tricks: Like Bloop said, you can get materials for this for <$10. If it gets you an immunity win, a free steak, a hug from your wife, or even one day's worth of trust from a former adversary it's worth the $10 and a few minutes a day loving with it while you wait for your bagel to toast or whatever.

These are really really small investments that can have a million dollar return.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, if we're fair then we should realize that its a lot easier to say "you should learn these 20 skills that are always factors on Survivor" than it is to actually do that in a short period of time between starting casting and filming. Like unless you have no fulltime job and a lot of disposable income there's probably only so much you can do even if you try. It would be easier to focus on one or two skills like starting fires and fishing, and stuff like swimming or puzzle solving probably takes time to really get good at and you won't necessarily replicate the actual conditions you'll experience on Survivor.

So I mean, I laugh as much as the next guy who can't swim whenever a Survivor can't swim and it becomes a focus of the show. And I'd definitely try and find a place to practice starting fires if I was cast. But the big picture is probably more complicated.

Yeeeaaah I guess but you at least know you are applying. As soon as I sent in my tape I'd be doing some simple things. Why not learn to swim anyway?

Fishing might be a practical impossibility to practice. Swimming might be expensive depending on where you live. But fire building is especially easy to practice for almost anyone.

Apply to survivor? Download a slide puzzle app and play that instead of candy crush or whatever.

I mostly just laugh at the people being like "I've never been outdoors before"

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

New career: reality contestant consultant. So, you just got cast on the next season of Survivor? We can help! We’ll take you from a city-slicking leaf-fearing non-swimming couch potato to someone Probst will refer to only by their last name in no time! $500/hr sounds like a lot, until you win that big million!!!!*

*Results not guaranteed

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No, I'm agreeing that its a good idea to be practicing this stuff. I'm just saying that practically speaking its probably a lot easier said than done to go buy a bunch of stuff at the dollar store and put together your own carnival games all in the hopes of preparing for the task of throwing soaked nerf balls 15 feet into a basket or fastball sandbags to knock blocks off a table 20 feet away. Its doable. Its just a full project.

And if you're practicing slide puzzles on your phone, weird carnival games in your living room, taking swimming lessons at Y in the afternoons, and spending weekends camping then you're probably at best just getting mediocre at all of them. Which still is better than the alternative, but like I said, a big rear end project.

Worth it? Sure. But easier said than done.

Big Taint posted:

New career: reality contestant consultant. So, you just got cast on the next season of Survivor? We can help! We’ll take you from a city-slicking leaf-fearing non-swimming couch potato to someone Probst will refer to only by their last name in no time! $500/hr sounds like a lot, until you win that big million!!!!*

*Results not guaranteed

I'm sure a bunch of people have written books and there are people out there already calling themselves it.

Like I'm in New York City. I bet if I looked hard enough I could find someone openly advertising that he or she will train me to be a Survivor.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
Slide puzzles are the big one I'd focus on. They show up a bunch and are basically impossible to do if you don't know how. Plus the carnival games and swimming come into play more during the pre-merge. Swimming can be something everyone has to do so that's a bit more important there but tossing things is usually just something you only need one person for. Outside of the new fire making twist that they will hopefully get rid of after this season anyways considering the backlash, there is no need to know how to make fire because someone else on the tribe can do it. If you're in shape the tribe won't care if you can't swim because you'll still be a physical asset. If you're an out of shape goon without the ability to swim, throw, or do anything physical your tribe will still vote you out for tribe strength if you learn how to swim and throw because you'll still not be fit. If you're good at puzzles that'd provide some worth to the tribe in challenges that your tribe mates would actually believe. And then once you get to the merge by far the most relevant skill will be slide puzzles.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

throwing soaked nerf balls 15 feet into a basket or fastball sandbags to knock blocks off a table 20 feet away.

I'm sure Coach practiced this while he was being chased by the pygmies in his canoe.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm sure Coach practiced this while he was being chased by the pygmies in his canoe.

This guy gets it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

And if you're practicing slide puzzles on your phone, weird carnival games in your living room, taking swimming lessons at Y in the afternoons, and spending weekends camping then you're probably at best just getting mediocre at all of them. Which still is better than the alternative, but like I said, a big rear end project.
If you google "slide puzzle solution" you can learn how to do a slide puzzle pretty much right away. They all work the same way, so you apply the same method available on google every time, and you can learn how to do it in literally a couple minutes. This is the easiest thing on the list of things to learn, and the basic straightforward slide puzzle does show up pretty frequently. Which I like. Keep throwing it out there and let people who bothered to learn it be rewarded.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I hope they have a Rubik's cube challenge and someone solves it in like, 8 seconds.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I got a Figment slide puzzle from Epcot Center as a little kid and played the hell out of it til the pieces fell out. It's saved me so much time in stupid video games. I'd rock it on survivor but with my luck they'd do that game instead where touching one light turns on/off the lights next to it and you have to get them all to one state to win. It always gets me running to youtube for a guide.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
For today's reward challenge, you will be playing a giant game of Candy Crush, survivor style!

Match four coconuts, clamshells, compasses, or vaguely-racist carved idol heads to win.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Thats a fast swap.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Happy Laffy Taffy! Banana flavored!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kellyn making fun of ugly babies has earned her a place in my heart.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Holy wow is Chris a hot mess.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Thats a fast swap.

Weird that they swapped to two 9s instead of three 6s.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Oh look a hidden immunity idol found with no clue, and seemingly little effort required.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
There is so much happening before the challenge has even happened.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
You get an idol, you get an idol, everyone gets an idol!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

I like it. The dynamics on purple right now are a lot more fun than when you have stragglers and pairs languishing on their new tribes of six. And the new oranges from purple are screwed enough with their crappy new camp, it's nice nobody has to start from scratch.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

I don't get why everyone is enamored of their original tribe anymore. Swaps seem to happen quicker and more often now.

Like it seems like people should think only in terms of 'who is going to be my alliance for the next two tribals' and then revisit the same people if you end up sticking together.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm liking this dynamic of one team always being completely terrible at puzzles.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I left the room, why are they drawing rocks for ghost island?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

DurosKlav posted:

Other tribe couldn't decide unanimously.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Half the show left with immunity already decided? This'll be fun.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DurosKlav posted:

Winning tribe couldn't come to a uninamous decision on who to send so they picked rocks.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

Half the show left with immunity already decided? This'll be fun.

Gotta factor in the ghost island segment now.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Gotta factor in the ghost island segment now.

Especially with a big whiny baby! :v:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Sad that Hitler's Youth's mom has MS

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, Dominick can't play that fake idol at all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think Dom went on the show with the singular goal of making a fake idol.

I have no idea how people still think they're getting away with that idiocy. People aren't stupid.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

lol recorded in 2017 and people still scared of a "Russell type player" cmon son.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

lol recorded in 2017 and people still scared of a "Russell type player" cmon son.

Too soon.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think Dom went on the show with the singular goal of making a fake idol.

I have no idea how people still think they're getting away with that idiocy. People aren't stupid.

Some people are just there to angle for a second season I guess.

I listened to part of the RHAP with Joe Mena and the guy just kept going on about Making Big Moves but not once did he figure out how to actually win a game of Survivor.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I dont know if its just a holdover from the complete disappointment of the end of last season or if this season is just garbage. But I'm having a major issue getting into this season. I hope its just my usual early game disinterest but I dont know if I will be able to keep interest.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Morgan going and giving the legacy advantage to Libby, yeah?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Shneak posted:

And why would she do that? She has to know it was them. Joke's on them for getting rid of their best swimmer though.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

I dont know if its just a holdover from the complete disappointment of the end of last season or if this season is just garbage. But I'm having a major issue getting into this season. I hope its just my usual early game disinterest but I dont know if I will be able to keep interest.

I find two tribe starts harder to get into than three tribe starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shneak posted:

Doubt it, she knows Libby just betrayed her, she said "Don't trust the cute ones" on her way out.

• Locked thread