Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DurosKlav posted:

I dont know if its just a holdover from the complete disappointment of the end of last season or if this season is just garbage. But I'm having a major issue getting into this season. I hope its just my usual early game disinterest but I dont know if I will be able to keep interest.

ok bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
lol Dom gets legacy advantage for his openness and honesty.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I thought Morgan and Libby were allies :lol:

The editing for that TC was all over the place.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why did the old orange tribe do their own thing and not get rid of Angela? I guess this could split the old purple tribe but it seems more likely that it’ll cause them to team up and make it a 4 and 4 split

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

Doubt it, she knows Libby just betrayed her, she said "Don't trust the cute ones" on her way out.

She said cute blonde but yeah

Shneak posted:

I thought Morgan and Libby were allies :lol:

The editing for that TC was all over the place.

They set up the Morgan vote when the four former Malolo convened right before tribal.

I wonder what happens next, it's still 4-4 and the Naviti now know they can't trust the others.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

She said cute blonde but yeah

They set up the Morgan vote when the four former Malolo convened right before tribal.

I wonder what happens next, it's still 4-4 and the Naviti now know they can't trust the others.

It's 4-4, but unless they randomly change how Ghost Island works, there will only be 7 at the next tribal.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

A Typical Goon posted:

Why did the old orange tribe do their own thing and not get rid of Angela? I guess this could split the old purple tribe but it seems more likely that it’ll cause them to team up and make it a 4 and 4 split

Dom freaked them out with idol chat. Since Dom wanted them to vote Angela and James was concerned about the possibility of Dom's legit idol, it had to be between Morgan and Wendell.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Cool and smart idea: do a swap after two episodes. That way the game's dynamics can be determined by original tribal alliances that the average viewer had no time to become familiar with.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's 4-4, but unless they randomly change how Ghost Island works, there will only be 7 at the next tribal.

right, durr

Which makes it even worse, imo, because if they had gone with voting off Angela then they'd be ok no matter what. If it's one of them they can still fall back on voting off Chris, and if it's one of Naviti they have a 4-3 advantage and control the vote.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I hope Dom makes a fake advantage.
Angela seems like the worst partner to have in this game.

I don't know if the best structure is starting with 3 tribes and merging down or starting with 2 and splitting up but 2 with a quick swap doesn't look great so far.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Awww. Morgan was one of the only people I could identify and kind of liked.

I like quick swaps to make it harder for majorities to cement too quickly. This one might have happened too quick but that result did basically hold with the five not being loyal and scheming their way into getting blindsided and losing their advantage. So I can't complain too much just because I didn't like the result.

Sure I don't really know who is who yet but that wouldn't have been much different next week. We'll probably all be more informed when they swap again, which I gotta figure they will since it was so quick.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 8, 2018

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Ghost Island is a place of sadness.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

A Typical Goon posted:

Do you think Angela's going to go over to the other two who just voted her and say "let's unite against them!" now? No, they're trying to get her entrenched against Dom too, and then they have 6-2 and they can split on Dom/Wendell.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I hope Dom makes a fake advantage.
Angela seems like the worst partner to have in this game.

I don't know if the best structure is starting with 3 tribes and merging down or starting with 2 and splitting up but 2 with a quick swap doesn't look great so far.

Really having a 2 hour premier last week and a swap the this week just kind of makes it odd. Hard to get into the dynamics of the new tribes when you still don't even know who is on either tribe to begin with.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dom and Chris instantly blowing up old Nefiti was like a dumpster fire of bad Survivor play. Also James is dumb, if you're worried about Dom having a real idol then you vote him out now when he's not expecting to go home. Now he's feeling under pressure and will be thinking about using it.

e: Also Libby is gorgeous :swoon:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, as soon as Dom/Wendell/Morgan turned on their own, they gave all the power to the other four. Morgan should have tried her best to rope Libby into voting an old orange out.

The new orange looks more interesting. Because of how Ghost Island works it'll either be 5-3 minority or a 4-4 split. But I think it's unlikely that Michael will get sent to Ghost Island unless rocks, so the minority will have an idol to play if they can anticipate the vote. If they do go to tribal I think the vote will be Stephanie, because they'd want the guys for challenges and Stephanie is craftier. Or they could do the dumb move and try to vote out Michael for being a 'physical threat' (which is dumb because physical threats will almost always get vulnerable at some point post-merge). I'm not sure who would get idoled out though if they play it correctly... probably Bradley because he's complaining so much. But I could see Chelsea going home because it's three episodes in, she hasn't had a confessional or any presence, so I don't see her lasting.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Really having a 2 hour premier last week and a swap the this week just kind of makes it odd. Hard to get into the dynamics of the new tribes when you still don't even know who is on either tribe to begin with.

I couldn't follow most of the "who should we vote out?" talk because I couldn't place who was on the original tribe together.

When they first showed Angela, the Army veteran, I couldn't remember seeing her at all before.

There's also at least one other girl out there who I think hasn't even spoken on camera. I've seen her at challenges, so I'm pretty sure she exists, but beyond that she's invisible.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

DurosKlav posted:

Oh look a hidden immunity idol found with no clue, and seemingly little effort required.
I think there was some effort there, it was that whole original Malolo group of the tribe looking, and if you noticed in some of the cuts in the montage, their clothes were different than in others, so it didn't happen all at once either.

I'm kind of surprised they took out Morgan instead of just firing at Domenick, but I guess the Morgan vote was safer and the people that did it will be in a good position coming out of it. I mean, Wendell and Domenick just voted for Angela, and Chris already hates Domenick, I don't think they really have to be afraid of that group coming together against them. The only real risk is Dom's bag of idols.

Interesting that when they were discussing targets, someone was like, "No, let's not do Wendell," and so just like that he was off the table, but Libby couldn't save Morgan. So, it's like Libby wasn't as willing to take a stand or just isn't listened to as much, but she still got that story edit about being close to Morgan and cutting her that makes me think she might be a player.

One move not getting any attention was Angela deciding against Chris's plan, and rejoining and being willing to go to rocks for a group that didn't trust her and voted against her.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

I think there was some effort there, it was that whole original Malolo group of the tribe looking, and if you noticed in some of the cuts in the montage, their clothes were different than in others, so it didn't happen all at once either.

Yeah, I'm not sure where "seemingly little effort" comes from, they showed them canvassing several different locations as a group before finally finding one. Once again, they found it because the "safe" alliance was too stupid to follow them around when they're obviously looking.

quote:

Interesting that when they were discussing targets, someone was like, "No, let's not do Wendell," and so just like that he was off the table, but Libby couldn't save Morgan. So, it's like Libby wasn't as willing to take a stand or just isn't listened to as much, but she still got that story edit about being close to Morgan and cutting her that makes me think she might be a player.

This was probably a victim of editing, but also Wendell clearly helps them more physically than Morgan in challenges (just don't have him work on puzzles) so that probably factored into keeping him around.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sand Monster posted:

There's also at least one other girl out there who I think hasn't even spoken on camera. I've seen her at challenges, so I'm pretty sure she exists, but beyond that she's invisible.

I thought this was meant to be an all-newbie season. Why did no one tell me that Purple Kelly got invited back?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The best part of the legacy advantage just might be the way it completely robs people of their fifteen seconds of getting-voted-out confessional.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
On the one hand, this season is not as boring as the previous one. On the other, there's very few people to root for. The premiere spent way too much time setting up the premise, and not enough on character development. like, there's only two female players of any real significance! This is terrible editing, and at this point blatantly misogynistic (not that I expect more from late period Survivor).

I guess I'm rooting for Donathan, and....uh, Wendell seems like a great guy. I like Handsome Gym Teacher, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Stephenie's been the most competent player so far. You also have Kellyn, Libby, Angela and Jenna as talking heads with some content.

There's a slight slant towards the guys, but more because Domenick/Chris/Jacob/Donathan are such big personalities.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I didn't get any misogynistic vibe as Stephanie and Morgan both seemed to get ok edits and Angela was basically presented as a voice of reason in contrast to Chris and the rest of her tribe.

This feels like the usual "blaming the edit for the actual way things have gone" thing. Jacob, Donathan, Domenick, and Chris have been the people to go to Ghost Island, find powers, and get into heat early on. Its possible there's some Kellyn subplot we missed entirely but just assuming that seems baseless. Besides, its not a GOOD thing that those four guys have been in the spotlight so early. Being the focus so early on is usually a sign of bad gameplay.

In general I find I don't really develop "favorites" for awhile once we've had a chance to weed out the chaff, the bigger personalities all show themselves, and we get to know what most everyone else is doing. We're 2-3 episodes in and I don't usually feel like I know the cast this early so it doesn't strike me as a surprise that I can't name half this cast. That's just kind of standard for me.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Sand Monster posted:

Probably Courtney?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Pretty sure the invisible woman is Chelsea.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If Wendell sticks around for a few more weeks his tribe will literally be living in a palace, declining yacht and resort rewards that would drag them from the luxury of their camp.

I'd like him to win. His closing argument at the final tribal council would be to smile and point at the jury's recliner benches and ceiling fan, which he crafted in under an hour.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I’m liking Wendell a lot, he’s a good early player to root for.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"I've said tribal was live so many times and it wasn't actually live but that's the story they wanted me to tell."

From Zeke Smith on RHAP. We already knew votes were pretty much always locked in before tribal but this is the first I've seen someone specifically say that production told them to say otherwise for the cameras.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I interpreted that as less 'Production explicitly told me to say this' and more 'Production likes the story that tribal is live'

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't watch or listen to the comments in question, but yeah it sounds more like "they tell me to say catchphrases for the TV even when they're just hype and narrative" then "its all a lie and everything is predetermined!"

Obviously most of the time Tribal votes are figured out going in and the discussion with Jeff is just drama or cat and mouse games. Sometimes we see it change up mid Tribal, but that's the exception, not the rule. But Jeff and the show obviously try and make every Tribal feel more exciting and "live."

And Zeke really liked that line from what I can remember and seemed to really enjoy playing to the cameras in Tribal.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'll never trust a pre-tribal "I keep swaying back and forth and will probably only make a final decision once I get to tribal" confessional from the swing vote (only for the subsequent vote to be unanimous) again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The most blatant 'production tells them to say this' is when the producers told the Upolus to laugh during the Jack and Jill reward that they 'won'.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

The most blatant 'production tells them to say this' is when the producers told the Upolus to laugh during the Jack and Jill reward that they 'won'.

This is partly why Sophie Clarke is one of my favourite winners, because she had no time for that poo poo.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Supposedly Kelly Wiggles got the invisible edit in Second Chances because she "wouldn't give the producers what they wanted."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

This is partly why Sophie Clarke is one of my favourite winners, because she had no time for that poo poo.

Sophie winning is precisely what makes South Pacific good. Dismantling Probst's sausage dream by outlasting Ozzy, Jim, Keith, Coach, Albert, Brandon, Rick, etc.... was brilliant. I have never been prouder of a jury.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

Supposedly Kelly Wiggles got the invisible edit in Second Chances because she "wouldn't give the producers what they wanted."
Unlike in her first season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well, most of the time characters aren't that relevant - there's a reason JP from last season got four confessionals in total.

And it can be hard to edit the 'very likable threat' if they're not doing a lot of strategy talk. You could have written off Brett from MvG as being near unimportant but then at top 6 he suddenly got the 'this guy's a huge jury threat we have to eliminate him' discussion.

And of course, there's Michele. And possibly Natalie White, even though probably half the reason she won is because she was sitting next to Russell.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm her resident apologist, but I'd love to see her in a normal game with not-Russell. She gave really good indications of knowing what she was doing, but next to that turkey it was nigh on impossible to make an impression one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Finally a nice drowning challenge.

• Locked thread