Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I prefer the rounded faces of Rebels to the angular faces of TCW, apart from Yoda who looks wrong. Also, Obi Wan always had a really silly plasticine beard.

Can someone explain to me why they think Rebels looks cheaper? Because I don't understand.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

NTRabbit posted:

I prefer the rounded faces of Rebels to the angular faces of TCW, apart from Yoda who looks wrong. Also, Obi Wan always had a really silly plasticine beard.

Can someone explain to me why they think Rebels looks cheaper? Because I don't get it.

Rebels looks cheaper because it was produced cheaper. Lucas poured a ton of money into TCW. Models in Rebels tend to be simpler and less detailed than their TCW counterparts and the animation style is much less fluid. Rebels tried to hide this a little by adopting a cleaner style and grabbing from the soft, clean McQuarrie concepts, but you can still tell it was made for less from time to time.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

NTRabbit posted:

Can someone explain to me why they think Rebels looks cheaper? Because I don't get it.

Because it was cheaper and thus looks more empty/simple? George dumped extra money into the budgets for Clone Wars to ensure it looked great. Supposedly 2-3 times the normal budget for some episodes. When you don't have Papa George personally financing those extra computers for rendering and modeling, it affects the end product.

Both Clone Wars and Rebels looked better as the seasons went on, just because they could start re-using models more over time. Clone Wars was able to get some more grandeur though with the extra money.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I know they spent less on the Rebels series, but I haven't been able to tell where they cut corners. Things like the plasticine hair and beards make TCW look cheap to me in comparison.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

I know they spent less on the Rebels series, but I haven't been able to tell where they cut corners. Things like the plasticine hair and beards make TCW look cheap to me in comparison.

The models in The Clone Wars had more texture to them, for one. Everything looked hand-painted, to match the vaguely marionette inspired aesthetic. Rebels, on the other hand, stuck with mostly bright, solid, easier to render colours, which made everything look a bit more cartoony and two-dimensional.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Looks at the backgrounds. Places like Lothal (especially early on) are pretty vacant. Marketplaces have a few stalls and some boxes around. While TCW the backgrounds, even in open areas, tended to have a lot more stuff in them.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

NTRabbit posted:

I know they spent less on the Rebels series, but I haven't been able to tell where they cut corners.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I did feel like the last 2 episodes had a lot more money put into em. There was more textures to various things and people compared to past episodes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never realized Gregor totally has a burger on his tanktop.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Part of it, I'm sure, is that you're watching season 1 of Rebels after coming off the last seasons of Clone Wars and those CW seasons had some really amazing looking animation/sequences in them.

Take this Season 4 sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcfV6yUUMhs

and compare it to what you're seeing here in the Rebels premier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKeet-Kee9k&t=28s

The lighting, the number of moving pieces in each action, the stuff going on in the background, etc. There's a lot more going on in a later Clone Wars episode than an early Rebels one. You'd be forgiven for being a bit disappointed.

Now, Rebels did get better as time goes on. Just look at the Ahsoka/Vader fight from the Season 2 finale.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 7, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just watched the finale, i eagerly await the adventures of old grizzled hardass sabine and ahsoka

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

just watched the finale, i eagerly await the adventures of old grizzled hardass sabine and ahsoka

Grizzled 23 year olds are a step up from the usual grizzled veterans of the long war 16 year olds we often get.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rebels was produced cheaper, but it had strong art direction. The texture detail and animation fidelity in Clone Wars is considerably better because more money was thrown at it. Compare the quality between the Ahsoka/Vader fight to the Barriss/Anakin fight. They both look really good, but CW's animation was more fluid/dynamic, and had a bit more punch behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4erSphTd3Rs&t=66s

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tMQyJCKLcw&t=84s

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 7, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

Grizzled 23 year olds are a step up from the usual grizzled veterans of the long war 16 year olds we often get.

Wouldnt sabine be in her late 20s and ahsoka be in her mid/late 30s post rotj

granted thats still not old but yeah

site fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 7, 2018

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Supposedly Ahsoka was born 36 BBY. Which means she would be around 41 post-Battle of Jakku. Which means get ready for Susan Sarandon Ahsoka in Episode IX.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

You know what's hosed up? The Empire never uses child soldiers, but the Republic and Rebels do all the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What do you mean, there was that whole episode where ezra joined the imperial academy with a bunch of other teens

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

teagone posted:

Rebels was produced cheaper, but it had strong art direction. The texture detail and animation fidelity in Clone Wars is considerably better because more money was thrown at it. Compare the quality between the Ahsoka/Vader fight to the Barriss/Anakin fight. They both look really good, but CW's animation was more fluid/dynamic, and had a bit more punch behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4erSphTd3Rs&t=66s

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tMQyJCKLcw&t=84s

Not relevant to the art discussion, but the story arc for Barriss was my favorite in TCW. Was disappointed she didn't show up in Rebels as an Inquisitor, it's not like old Sheevy P to just toss away a fallen Jedi.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

site posted:

What do you mean, there was that whole episode where ezra joined the imperial academy with a bunch of other teens

They were in an academy, military schools and cadets programs aren't considered war crimes. Ahsoka was seeing front line combat at what, 14?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

Wouldnt sabine be in her late 20s and ahsoka be in her mid/late 30s post rotj

granted thats still not old but yeah

I though she was 20 in the last season, and if the finale happens in the same year as Scarif/Yavin its only 3-4 years until Endor. I mean Jacen only looked 3 or 4 years old. Also I'm surprised they never paid off any of the Ezra/Sabine thing that was suggested through the entire series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teek posted:

Supposedly Ahsoka was born 36 BBY. Which means she would be around 41 post-Battle of Jakku. Which means get ready for Susan Sarandon Ahsoka in Episode IX.

Rosario is 38 thats close enough

LongDarkNight posted:

Not relevant to the art discussion, but the story arc for Barriss was my favorite in TCW. Was disappointed she didn't show up in Rebels as an Inquisitor, it's not like old Sheevy P to just toss away a fallen Jedi.

Bariss was already pissed at the jedi for getting militaristic i doubt shed join a fascist sith regime

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They were in an academy, military schools and cadets programs aren't considered war crimes. Ahsoka was seeing front line combat at what, 14?

Well, the jedi were pretty poo poo about that you'll get no argument from me and there was that whole thing where they trained the forest whitaker character to be a terrorist in clone wars. But like, when youre running a resistance cell of dozens or hundreds against a literal galactic spanning army of probably millions then you take em where you can get em i guess

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

I though she was 20 in the last season, and if the finale happens in the same year as Scarif/Yavin its only 3-4 years until Endor. I mean Jacen only looked 3 or 4 years old. Also I'm surprised they never paid off any of the Ezra/Sabine thing that was suggested through the entire series.

Mmm yeah looks like you're right according to wookie if thats still worth anything she was born 21 years before the battle of yavin, i was thinking she was a couple years older than that

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Also I'm surprised they never paid off any of the Ezra/Sabine thing that was suggested through the entire series.
Do you mean a romance storyline? Unless I’m forgetting something, I don’t think there was much suggested there other than Ezra’s very early crush on her. They’ve seemed way more like siblings over the past three seasons. Filoni specifically said after the finale that their relationship was about supporting each other as friends.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

site posted:

Bariss was already pissed at the jedi for getting militaristic i doubt shed join a fascist sith regime

The Dark Side has cookies, Order 66 cookies.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DancinBrud posted:

Do you mean a romance storyline? Unless I’m forgetting something, I don’t think there was much suggested there other than Ezra’s very early crush on her. They’ve seemed way more like siblings over the past three seasons. Filoni specifically said after the finale that their relationship was about supporting each other as friends.

Yeah in Rebels Recon he specifically calls out people who thought there would be a romance by saying that they wanted to show that boys and girls could be friends and supportive of each other without needing romantic attachments.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

LongDarkNight posted:

Was disappointed she didn't show up in Rebels as an Inquisitor, it's not like old Sheevy P to just toss away a fallen Jedi.

I'm pretty sure Vader would destroy her the moment he found out.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Honestly, I'm 99% certain this is just an intentional design choice to make 'faceless' imperials', rather than a cost saving measure. I mean, I guess it does both, but I think the latter is just a bonus.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, shout out to Filoni for Thrawn’s pathos.

I love that he calls out the Jedi, not for being weak, but for using their power through a moral code.

He’s not like a “I hate puppies and sunshine” evil mustache twirler.
Nor is he some kind of fallen idealist.

He knows exactly what he wants: power. And will use and ally with whatever accomplishes his goals to achieve more power.

He’d feel right at home next to Jedi if they were less moralistic in their use of their powers.

I’m trying to remember if he was like that in the original Zahn books. All I remember was brilliant tactician and studier of cultures.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DancinBrud posted:

I missed that. And they did have some weird akward teenager meeting their crushes dad stuff in the early part of the season, which is why I though they were going that way.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I appreciate that Clone Wars had more money, and had busier backgrounds and everything, but I just can't watch it. It just looks bad to me. Rebels looks fine though. I don't know if it's the OT aesthetic vs the PT or what, but Rebels looks way better to me.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MichiganCubbie posted:

I appreciate that Clone Wars had more money, and had busier backgrounds and everything, but I just can't watch it. It just looks bad to me. Rebels looks fine though. I don't know if it's the OT aesthetic vs the PT or what, but Rebels looks way better to me.

Clone Wars also had much better writing overall and was willing to actually explore the Star Wars universe in ways Rebels simply couldn't. Lothal kinda sucked compared to Umbara, Mandolore's glass cities, and Onderon. The scale of the show also allowed for a lot more freedom in the kinds of stories that could be told.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always remember that really tedious arc in CW about the planet with the super pacificist aliens who refused to stand up aginst the CIS even upon their deaths. It was also bad because the only other place I've seen such a storyline is that terrible Sword of Truth novel.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I always remember that really tedious arc in CW about the planet with the super pacificist aliens who refused to stand up aginst the CIS even upon their deaths. It was also bad because the only other place I've seen such a storyline is that terrible Sword of Truth novel.

There are several episodes of Star Trek and I think Stargate like that. Also that star wars episode had George Takei in it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The Baradium explosion or whatever it was is the best animated sequence in Clone Wars or Rebels. Even if it came from an awful arc, it was incredibly pretty. A certain scene from TLJ reminded me a little bit of it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTRabbit posted:

Can someone explain to me why they think Rebels looks cheaper? Because I don't understand.

Ignoring personal preference and addressing why people complain it looks cheaper.

The textures in TCW are all either hand-painted or procedurally generated to look hand-painted to go with the actual hand-painted stuff. Even in the old/new character image comparison, you should be able to see that there are more man-hours in the hand-painted texturing of the TCW show than in the characters of Rebels, regardless of how good they look in a vacuum.

Compare this:

With this:

One has a very flat fabric texture with a few brush strokes to add some tonal variation, but since there are not a lot of high-frequency details in Rebels there's not a lot of custom paint job on the texture (or the facial texture). In contrast, you can see the individual strokes in the cloaks from the characters in the background of TCW. If you zoom in you can see some painted details on the fabric and tonal variation, and that's for the background characters. Anakin's robe is pretty much entirely hand-painted with a lot of high and middle frequency details, good tonal variation and coloring.

That quick, flat texturing style is used not only by nameless faceless imperial soldiers, but main characters in Rebels as well.

In general, TCW has a more rich lighting and coloring. The backgrounds in Rebels are all very flat and have very flat textures. Compare the background for Tarkin in this image:

Everything has a foundation texture but TCW builds upon it with details, ornaments, and so on. You see the ship texture behind Tarkin? That's a procedural texture that's used for almost everything, and I mean it, in Rebels. Every metallic surface uses it. I published a similar procedural texture in 2012 and modified it in 2016, you can see it here.

And here's a comparison of it and a ship in Rebels:

That kind of pattern is used everywhere in Rebels, not just metal plates. The Sith Inquisitors' faces also use it.

Last but not least, prop/doodad/greeble density is very small in Rebels and most environments, especially cities, look dreadfully empty. TCW solves it by having details kinda baked in the buildings through visible strokes, which is a painfully longer process but it works in making the scenes richer. It's the same reason why hatching is used by good artists and artists coloring in Photoshop doing shadows or tonal variance with soft airbrushes look awfully amateur and lacking something.

Rebels' artists are doing a great job with what they have and the art direction given but yeah, these are the main reasons why it looks cheaper.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LongDarkNight posted:

The Dark Side has cookies, Order 66 cookies.

Order 66 cookies now and get a blaster bolt in the back at no extra charge

I wonder if the Galaxy has Girl/Boy Scout-esque organizations...

Wars started over a box of thin mints or chocolate caramel popcorn would be a sight to see

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The trade federation blockades started as a reaction to the girl scouts of naboo's tax exempt status

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

Rosario is 38 thats close enough

Well, the jedi were pretty poo poo about that you'll get no argument from me and there was that whole thing where they trained the forest whitaker character to be a terrorist in clone wars. But like, when youre running a resistance cell of dozens or hundreds against a literal galactic spanning army of probably millions then you take em where you can get em i guess

Shaak Ti was 38 when she died, she was looked aiight for a Togruta

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Even after jumping to hyperspace with the windows open which I assume should be fatal, isn't the entire rest of the crew of that ISD (which should be in the like, thousands) still aboard?

I mean I shouldn't nitpick really, I love the idea of Gillian's Island with Ezra as Gilligan and Thrawn as the skipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They said the ships in orbit just disappeared. So I presume there are 10 or so ISDs and a few support ships all together in the unknown regions. A tidy little fleet (without many supplies) to form some sort of order out there.

• Locked thread