Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Tarquinn posted:

So, Barry's speed is way beyond lightspeed now, right? It feels like just last season there were still measuring his speed in mach.

He can go as fast as the (possibly lame bullshit) plot demands.

Speaking of which, where are the gifs of Barry writing on the board "Speedforce: I ain't gotta explain poo poo"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tarquinn posted:

So, Barry's speed is way beyond lightspeed now, right? It feels like just last season there were still measuring his speed in mach.

He runs as fast (or slow) as the show requires.

SPEEDFORCE BITCH!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah I mean, "you're not a speedster, you can't handle this speed for long" no poo poo they shouldn't be able to handle anything over ~200 mph without going into shock or worse.

SPEED

FORCE

:smugbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

When they talked about needed a nuclear fission, all I could think was "Shame Prof Stein is DEAD."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Tarquinn posted:

In this episode, he froze time and could travel freely in space while doing that. So, definitely: if he froze time in that warehouse and ran to Russia before unfreezing it, he'd have displaced 5500 miles in 0.0 seconds. Undefinably faster than c.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hello yes I have several questions about the speed force

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

It all makes sense and is perfectly sound. Especially the math: explode(f+g) / SPEEDFORCE = SPEEDFORCE.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

Hello yes I have several questions about the speed force

Someone post the gif already

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I also love that the speed force isn't an infinite dimension of speed energy but an actual place that can be destroyed with a nuke.

Legends should do a story about a preemptive strike against the speed force

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I thought the first time Barry did the everything freezes thing was in the court room and he and Iris were surprised and people just assumed he soaked up more speed being in speed force prison for so long. So why can Jesse do it too?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

Mick: I'm in. What can I steal

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The Speedforce is also a Speedplace. It has a Speedburger location at Fast Ave & Speedmore.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Guy A. Person posted:

They're busy, considering they almost did to time what Jay was worried would happen to the Speedforce.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Davros1 posted:

When they talked about needed a nuclear fission, all I could think was "Shame Prof Stein is DEAD."

This ep really could have used a line like "we could really use a Firestorm right now"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Also, Barry has known he can do this time freeze thing for quite awhile but he's having issues being fast enough to reach into Cisco's breach or whatever?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought the first time Barry did the everything freezes thing was in the court room and he and Iris were surprised and people just assumed he soaked up more speed being in speed force prison for so long. So why can Jesse do it too?

His new thing was being able to bring other people into "flash time." Jesse couldn't do it to Wells when she wanted to talk to him.

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

His new thing was being able to bring other people into "flash time." Jesse couldn't do it to Wells when she wanted to talk to him.

I figured that she could, but didn't have enough energy to do it, considering she freezes in place shortly afterward.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Even if Flash Time isn't new, why does he have any trouble getting to Cisco's breach in time before it closes

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

discworld is all I read posted:

I was honestly a bit surprised that the whole idea to blow up the speed force as the last resort wasn't some plan from Devoe to cripple Flash and any other speedsters. Instead it just turned out to be a random group of eco-terrorists and Flash got to learn a lesson. I mean it was a good episode but it just felt strangely like filler.

This is totally going to be Devoe's plan where he needed the Quark Sphere removed from the speed force for some nefarious reason.

It continues to be weird how they make all the super geniuses really dumb

"The cerebral inhibitor is functioning!"
"I AM KILLGORE. THE GUY THAT CAN CONTROL TECHNOLOGY WITH MY MIND."
*inhibitor explodes*
"It didn't work? What could have possibly happened? I am an idiot that designed a non functioning piece of technology!!!!!"

"Who would help this eco terrorist detonate a nuclear bomb"
"Devoe?"
"Yeah but why would he do that"
":shrug: Can't have anything to do with creating a desperate situation where Barry would be forced to do something that only he is capable of that he would never do normally"
"Guess we have no clue what is going on then."

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

WhyteRyce posted:

Even if Flash Time isn't new, why does he have any trouble getting to Cisco's breach in time before it closes

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xealot posted:

The Speedforce is also a Speedplace. It has a Speedburger location at Fast Ave & Speedmore.

Fastburger is way better though.

Its amazing how much better the show can be without being forced into the season arc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The scene with Barry running through the Speed Force with the lightning behind him was pretty good looking.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
DeVoe goes away for an episode and the show becomes good again. What a crazy coincidence.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Barry getting subtly sweatier and more out of breath as the episode went on was a really brilliant touch, and added hugely to the sense of urgency and mounting desperation. How is this episode part of the same show? It’s like it’s from Earth-2, where The Flash is prestige TV.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Barry getting subtly sweatier and more out of breath as the episode went on was a really brilliant touch, and added hugely to the sense of urgency and mounting desperation. How is this episode part of the same show? It’s like it’s from Earth-2, where The Flash is prestige TV.

I loved the touch of the "slower" speedsters eventually gassing out and freezing back in time. There was an actual comic about this where Flash decided to try and fix everyone in the city's problems all at once (only to find out even with his speed it was impossible) using the same bit:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

"The cerebral inhibitor is functioning!"
"I AM KILLGORE. THE GUY THAT CAN CONTROL TECHNOLOGY WITH MY MIND."
*inhibitor explodes*
"It didn't work? What could have possibly happened? I am an idiot that designed a non functioning piece of technology!!!!!"

In Harry's tech mumbo-jumbo rant afterward, he was sure he'd built it to block that power. The "can control tech psychically" equivalent of airgapping a machine to prevent remote access.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

WhyteRyce posted:

Because both times it has happened so far it has been a desperate subconscious reflex that surprised even him and he can’t just go there in a controlled way. If he could just stop time whenever he wanted to he could have stopped every crime the moment the alarm button was pushed.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Cretler posted:

I figured that she could, but didn't have enough energy to do it, considering she freezes in place shortly afterward.

She can’t do it, she was just curious if she could. Her and Jay were surprised when they saw Barry doing it.

I know this because Speedforce.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
My current theory is that DeVoe's end goal is to take Barry's body, because it's the only one with enough power not to get burnt out by hosting DeVoe's mind. Then he has a body that will last... And has superpowers as a bonus.

And he will succeed.

And then the speed force will suddenly remember it has a Barry-shaped hole that it needs to fill, and the lightning returns and eats DeVoe.

Also, it would mean we don't break the cycle of every season's big bad being a speedster, at least not at the end.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 8, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Robot Hobo posted:

My current theory is that DeVoe's end goal is to take Barry's body, because it's the only one with enough power not to get burnt out by hosting DeVoe's mind. Then he has a body that will last... And has superpowers as a bonus.

And he will succeed.

And then the speed force will suddenly remember it has a Barry-shaped hole that it needs to fill, and the lightning returns and eats DeVoe.

Also, it would mean we don't break the cycle of every season's big bad being a speedster, at least not at the end.

Given the way this plot seems to be going so far and that little drop earlier on from DeVoe where he was like "in 20% of the other possible outcomes of stage, they called me The Teacher," I think DeVoe's master plan is to teach Barry some kind of lesson (that will be incredibly disappointing when everything's finally on the table) or act as some kind of stealth mentor to prepare him for an even greater threat or challenge.

Honestly, I legit do not know where the end point of this season is gonna land just because the Flash writers are so unpredictable in their quality and storytelling logic.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Nerd question: maybe I missed it, but did somebody in this episode explain how the gently caress the device was starting a fission reaction with deuterium?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

teamcharlie posted:

Nerd question: maybe I missed it, but did somebody in this episode explain how the gently caress the device was starting a fission reaction with deuterium?

Do we have to post that image again

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The Speedforce hates Barry so much and I totally sympathize with it.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

discworld is all I read posted:

I was honestly a bit surprised that the whole idea to blow up the speed force as the last resort wasn't some plan from Devoe to cripple Flash and any other speedsters. Instead it just turned out to be a random group of eco-terrorists and Flash got to learn a lesson. I mean it was a good episode but it just felt strangely like filler.

The thing is, it absolutely was a filler episode in terms of having nothing to do with the main plot arc, but the main plot arc is so bad and convoluted this filler episode wound up being the most enjoyable one in ages.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Did you watch the episode? I know its a bit techno-bable but they are moving so fast that the breach won't stay open/can't open fast enough.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

Did you watch the episode? I know its a bit techno-bable but they are moving so fast that the breach won't stay open/can't open fast enough.

Yeah, but the point is that Flash then proceeded to spend at the very least the better part of an hour within a single moment, during which Cisco couldn’t help specifically because they were moving too fast for his portal to form.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think he was talking about the beginning of the episode where Barry was trying to run through the portal before it closed.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, but the point is that Flash then proceeded to spend at the very least the better part of an hour within a single moment, during which Cisco couldn’t help specifically because they were moving too fast for his portal to form.

Cisco couldn't open the breach because he was going to fast to for the reaction to take place, the amount of energy that needs to build up to open the breach could not gather properly because it is not moving in Flash Time. He couldn't jump through the closing portal fast enough because breaches close faster (become inherit before vanishing) than they open. Watching the show we see it takes a second or two for a breach to form. But Iris specifically states that Cisco's breaches dissolve in 3 picoseconds. A picosecond is one trillionth of a second, when I try to get google to tell me how may pico seconds are in a minute it just gives me math... 6e+13. I don't think he was experiencing extended picoseconds or we wouldn't have even seen the explosion progress at all.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

kjetting posted:

Because both times it has happened so far it has been a desperate subconscious reflex that surprised even him and he can’t just go there in a controlled way. If he could just stop time whenever he wanted to he could have stopped every crime the moment the alarm button was pushed.

Then why can Jesse and Dad Flash do it too. Barry didn't pull Jesse out she just walked into the crate under her own power and had no idea what was going on

Kilson posted:

I think he was talking about the beginning of the episode where Barry was trying to run through the portal before it closed.

Yeah the breach closing experiments at the beginning were treated different than the breach attempts during Flash Time. In the former he was just barely not fast enough to make it in despite moving at regular Flash speeds

I get Flash Time doesn't allow breaches to be made but it's not like he needs to pull Devoe into Flash Time with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Writh posted:

Cisco couldn't open the breach because he was going to fast to for the reaction to take place, the amount of energy that needs to build up to open the breach could not gather properly because it is not moving in Flash Time. He couldn't jump through the closing portal fast enough because breaches close faster (become inherit before vanishing) than they open. Watching the show we see it takes a second or two for a breach to form. But Iris specifically states that Cisco's breaches dissolve in 3 picoseconds. A picosecond is one trillionth of a second, when I try to get google to tell me how may pico seconds are in a minute it just gives me math... 6e+13. I don't think he was experiencing extended picoseconds or we wouldn't have even seen the explosion progress at all.

The breach stays open long enough for DeVoe to float his way through (or get dragged). He doesn't have to wait for DeVoe to go into his pocket dimension and close the breach before attempting to go through