Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Lmao at how quickly Levi took down Zeke. The literal instant he got the chance he took it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

This chapter makes me think Zeke is actually in league with Paradise as some people were predicting in previous chapters. It could be translation shenanigans, but his line about them running out of time coming immediately before he just gets iced by Levi is odd. It makes me think they had some plan based around Zeke getting caught and "killed" by paradise as a cover for him joining their side. It would explain his complicity in letting Reiner and Falco meet up with Eren, and the strong hinting at his contact with Eren w.r.t the baseball glove.

Also it's weird that Armin just transformed over in the water, I could've sworn the lights they were setting up were for him to dive bomb into the city and transform bert-style

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JahRoo posted:

Also it's weird that Armin just transformed over in the water, I could've sworn the lights they were setting up were for him to dive bomb into the city and transform bert-style

There's still one more Shifter Titan who has not yet made an appearance in this fight. Perhaps the lights are there to guide that final Titan into the city.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

JahRoo posted:

This chapter makes me think Zeke is actually in league with Paradise as some people were predicting in previous chapters. It could be translation shenanigans, but his line about them running out of time coming immediately before he just gets iced by Levi is odd. It makes me think they had some plan based around Zeke getting caught and "killed" by paradise as a cover for him joining their side. It would explain his complicity in letting Reiner and Falco meet up with Eren, and the strong hinting at his contact with Eren w.r.t the baseball glove.

Yeah, I agree. Zeke used the distraction of Armin's transformation to escape his body and Levi faked his death. The stopwatch, the ambiguity of the "It's you!" line, Zeke's lousy throws, the lack of a reaction shot from Zeke when Levi cut him down leads me to think it's a con.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Big :lol: at Zeke telling Galliard to keep calm and fight rationally, and Galliard immediately losing his cool, breaking formation, and giving Levi the kill.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, it does seems like Zeke is up to something
Also in my understanding Armin tranformed there to gently caress up the port and Marley navy

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Holy gently caress this chapter. I can't wait to see this animated in ten years.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

If this season is 2 cours, then I could realistically see season 4 covering the Marley arc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Squidster posted:

Holy gently caress this chapter. I can't wait to see this animated in ten years.

seriously this arc of the anime is gonna be absolutely incredible

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I actually gasped when Armin showed up

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:gizz:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
:tviv: Marley get BTFO

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JahRoo posted:

Also the grenade could have been a flashbang, weren't the folks on the ground real close to Zeke when it went off? You'd think a pineapple would shred unprotected civilians nearby with shrapnel too. If it wasn't, then he likely threw it to destroy the empty neck socket so people couldn't tell Zeke was gone already.

Too much doesn't add up!!!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The most horrific :lol: in this chapter, drat

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
While the Zeke defection theory remains plausible, I have to question why do it this way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Conspiratiorist posted:

While the Zeke defection theory remains plausible, I have to question why do it this way.

To lure the other shifters out with an all-out attack plan. As we see, it has worked swimmingly.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
Do we know how long Shifters can stay in the Crystal Form? I know with Annie they covered her up and supposedly she went "Dormant" or something.
Is it like suspended animation, do we know anything about it?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

To lure the other shifters out with an all-out attack plan. As we see, it has worked swimmingly.

No, that doesn't make sense.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Man. That was intense.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

I suspect it could be all a plan to finally get the Warhammer titan. As we are seeing now, she is nigh invulnerable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I suspect it could be all a plan to finally get the Warhammer titan. As we are seeing now, she is nigh invulnerable.

... when she's blastin'?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Perhaps I missed something, but can someone explain to me what possible motivation Zeke could have for helping the Paradis folk? He's been practically the main villain for a while now, and although they've significantly humanized him, I'm not sure why he would have a heel-face turn. I think Reiner and Annie are more likely candidates for that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beefstew posted:

Perhaps I missed something, but can someone explain to me what possible motivation Zeke could have for helping the Paradis folk? He's been practically the main villain for a while now, and although they've significantly humanized him, I'm not sure why he would have a heel-face turn. I think Reiner and Annie are more likely candidates for that.

He is still an enemy to the marleyans, just a tool for them to use and be discarded. All eldians are.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

It's not totally clear what his motivation would be, but there are a lot of indicators that he's not fully loyal to Marley. The biggest being that Marley doesn't know he has royal blood, but Zeke for sure knows this about himself. This is revealed close to the beginning of the Marley arc when Zeke is talking to Colt about his "secret" and it's clear that Marley has no explanation for the weird extra powers that Zeke has with the beast titan that no other holders previously displayed.

Some people have speculated that he was actually convinced to give up his parents by Eren Kruger as both a way to cement Marley's belief in Zeke's loyalty, and as a way to get Grisha on Paradise. It would explain why he's never given up his knowledge of his royal blood and would lend more to the idea that Zeke has actually been a pro-Eldian force from the inside all along. What the goal here is unclear, but it's also not clear what Paradise is hoping to accomplish by attacking at this point in the story either, so it's certainly possible that we're missing some more info.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
Is everyone forgetting how Zeke basically killed 90% of the scouting legion right before they got to the basement?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Also that weird line about 'saving' eren

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

JahRoo posted:

It's not totally clear what his motivation would be, but there are a lot of indicators that he's not fully loyal to Marley. The biggest being that Marley doesn't know he has royal blood, but Zeke for sure knows this about himself. This is revealed close to the beginning of the Marley arc when Zeke is talking to Colt about his "secret" and it's clear that Marley has no explanation for the weird extra powers that Zeke has with the beast titan that no other holders previously displayed.

Some people have speculated that he was actually convinced to give up his parents by Eren Kruger as both a way to cement Marley's belief in Zeke's loyalty, and as a way to get Grisha on Paradise. It would explain why he's never given up his knowledge of his royal blood and would lend more to the idea that Zeke has actually been a pro-Eldian force from the inside all along. What the goal here is unclear, but it's also not clear what Paradise is hoping to accomplish by attacking at this point in the story either, so it's certainly possible that we're missing some more info.

Yeah. As I said, Zeke turning on Marley (and working with Eren) is entirely plausible, with lots of indications to that effect dispersed throughout this arc.

My only doubt is that if he's working with the Walldians, then why is he doing the whole charade with being attacked and seemingly killed by Levi? He could've just turned on his fellow warriors and easily tipped the balance of the fight by taking out Porco or Pieck before they knew what was happening, and grant the scouts and easy victory...

Ah, nevermind, of course. He could also just job the fight, that way the Scouts win and disengage with their objective accomplished (massive damage to Marley's chain of command and military forces, captured the Warhammer Titan), and he gets to stay in his position as an inside man.

That'd be loving brilliant.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

SnotGrumble posted:

Is everyone forgetting how Zeke basically killed 90% of the scouting legion right before they got to the basement?

That definitely raises some questions but it doesn't prohibit him from having a different long term goal. Remember that Kruger was objectively on the side of the Eldians but also admitted to killing thousands of Eldians to keep his cover, what would make Zeke any different?

I think his original mission to paradise is the thing that's the most unclear w.r.t what Zeke actually hopes to accomplish. He seemed intent on capturing Eren -- but did he intend to turn Eren over to Marley in that case, or use him for another plan?

Basically characters in this story do questionable poo poo all the time for the sake of a greater cause, so one act doesn't preclude his loyalty to another side.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

SnotGrumble posted:

I'm thinking change of plans. He didn't kill the scouting force and capture Eren. So now that Eren is here he helps them out.

I'm guessing he is serving the landbound Eldian people, and the paradisian's are the most direct route now, while in the past capturing Eren would have been his most direct route.

Side note: how the gently caress is everyone talking to each other in Titan form? I didn't think they could talk besides monkeytrouble. But here everyone is acting like they are piloting a meatsuit mech with walking talkies.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 7, 2018

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Donkringel posted:

I'm thinking change of plans. He didn't kill the scouting force and capture Eren. So now that Eren is here he helps them out.

I'm guessing he is serving the landbound Eldian people, and the paradisian's are the most direct route now, while in the past capturing Eren would have been his most direct route.

Side note: how the gently caress is everyone talking to each other in Titan form? I didn't think they could talk besides monkeytrouble. But here everyone is acting like they are piloting a meatsuit mech with walking talkies.

I'm pretty sure Ymir/Jaw Titan is able to do it. Maybe Cartman is too?
Honestly, Eren's Titan just kinda sucks when you think about it.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Cart was shown to talk in return to shinganshina, Beast has been talking since the first time he showed up, I think warhammer was talking in one of the previous chapters. Ymir was able to talk very coarsely as the jaw titan. None of the other titans have shown the ability to speak, so it's either something that requires some serious training to perform, or it's limited to certain shifters.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
More.

I need more.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So out of all the Paradisians we know of, which ones have we not seen yet? Because whoever we haven't seen is probably getting thrown over the city by Armin. My bet is on Hange.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 7, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DaveKap posted:

So out of all the Paradisians we know of, which ones have we not seen yet? Because whoever we haven't seen is probably getting thrown over the city by Armin. My bet is on Hange.

Annie :shepface:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DaveKap posted:

We've seen practically all of the 104th squad troops by this point. Jean's group just all but outright wasted Pieck like she was nothing, Sasha proved that she has graduated from the Simo Hayha School of loving poo poo Up With a Sniper Rifle, and Connie had a drive-by appearance a chapter or two ago (in case anyone forgot him). So all that's left out of the named Paradis people are Hitch, Hange, and Historia. Hitch is not much of a combatant, so I expect her to be a part of the extraction team on whatever means of transport the Paradis troops used to get here (probably a ship of their own, as I doubt Armin sailed from Paradis on a dinky little fishing boat. Silvers Rayleigh he is not.). As much of an emotional and morale-boosting impact that Historia would bring by casually strolling onto Marley's shores, I also doubt she's appearing on the front lines with everyone else given that now she's the queen. That leaves Hange as the sole option to make a grand entrance, and given her boisterous personality, an aerial drop via riding the shockwave of a Titan transforming is right up her alley. Let's just hope she doesn't botch the landing. Then again, Annie's fate could finally be revealed and she's about to make her big return to the manga in what feels like 3000 years since she last appeared.

Squidster posted:

I would be absolutely content with the anime staff blowing the entire season's budget on this battle sequence. Up to and including the voice actor salary budget.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JahRoo posted:

Cart was shown to talk in return to shinganshina, Beast has been talking since the first time he showed up, I think warhammer was talking in one of the previous chapters. Ymir was able to talk very coarsely as the jaw titan. None of the other titans have shown the ability to speak, so it's either something that requires some serious training to perform, or it's limited to certain shifters.

Jaw titan guy popped his main body out in order to talk. Presumably most of the shifters can talk(with enough training), it's probably only Attack, Female, and Colossal without vocal chords. Maybe Warhammer but they might be able to make artificial ones.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 8, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That was cool as hell

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RatHat posted:

Jaw titan guy popped his main body out in order to talk. Presumably most of the shifters can talk(with enough training), it's probably only Attack, Female, and Colossal without vocal chords. Maybe Warhammer but they might be able to make artificial ones.
The Female Titan has a regular human-like face with (most likely) all the muscles needed to talk like a normal person. That said, given Annie's cold reclusive nature, she probably never bothered to train herself to talk in Titan form. However, there was a bit way back (right after Rod and Kenny were ganked) where the Survey Corps outright test this out with Eren's Titan form and realize that no, he can't talk in Titan form. Not sure about the Colossal Titan, but given how its face is structured and the amount of energy needed to maintain the enormous form, it's extremely doubtful that the Colossal Titan can talk.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

Lmao at how quickly Levi took down Zeke. The literal instant he got the chance he took it.

i love that its just happening in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I loved that, one second he was alive leading the marley shifters and then the next panel he just gets instantly killed in the background. Very cathartic seeing Levi get his revenge so efficiently.