Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dude you're basically just harassing her now. If you don't want to engage with her posts just put her on ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

which leads me to ask: has anyone here been in the position to hire people and rejected anyone? if so, what kinds of reasons have you decided against hiring them? what kinds of things can people at large work on and improve in order to better their odds?

i've rejected people because i felt i wouldn't jive with them even if they were qualified :shrug:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

Dude you're basically just harassing her now. If you don't want to engage with her posts just put her on ignore.

Lol.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

As I said before, companies will never tell you anything because the only thing they stand to gain from it is a lawsuit

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

qhat posted:

The solution is to interview somewhere at least every six months, even if you don't have any intention of accepting. Keeps your head in the game.

I should do this.

Also, I absolutely, 100% hypocritically, hold it against candidates who admit to doing this.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

:holy-poo poo:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yospos :allears:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

TimWinter posted:

I should do this.

Also, I absolutely, 100% hypocritically, hold it against candidates who admit to doing this.

admitting to it would be pretty loving stupid so that's actually justified

"oh yeah I thought I'd just come by and probably waste your time make me an offer lol"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

you never know, you might be surprised and accept it. it's up to them to sell you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notice how he edited the list down to the two that could be construed as specific personal criticisms. Notice also how he has responded to her throughout the thread, above and beyond what anyone else is doing.

Harassment doesn't have to be intentional you know. It can just be an inadvertent pattern of behavior that nevertheless targets an individual.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You could almost say he's "trolling" for responses. A "troll" so to speak.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

You could almost say he's "trolling" for responses. A "troll" so to speak.

Less funny when the person targeted has as much as admitted to anxiety and mental health challenges.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

just cause he says it doesn’t mean he’s right :allears:

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
cross-post from BFC careers thread:

I’m looking for a product manager role in tech. If I’m planning to stay with my current company until June 1 for vesting reasons, when is the earliest I should start applying to other positions?

I assume that smaller companies are probably looking to staff up for a specific project, so they won’t be willing to wait more than a month. But can I start applying sooner to big companies that have dozens of projects going?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Large Hardon Collider posted:

cross-post from BFC careers thread:

I’m looking for a product manager role in tech. If I’m planning to stay with my current company until June 1 for vesting reasons, when is the earliest I should start applying to other positions?

I assume that smaller companies are probably looking to staff up for a specific project, so they won’t be willing to wait more than a month. But can I start applying sooner to big companies that have dozens of projects going?

you should start applying right now. big companies often take 3-6 months to get through the process. the worst that can happen is you have some discussions about timing.

if folks really badly want you earlier than the week of june 1st, they may tempt you with a signing bonus to offset the lost stock.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I've not been the decision-maker for hiring, but I have had to say, "did not pass the second half of the whiteboard tapdance due to choking, but if they have the experience they claim to and the intelligence they displayed in the first half of the interview, they absolutely would be an asset to the team."

the other interviewers: "choked during whiteboard, do not hire"

Of course, other people picked the interview format (three people observe 1 candidate at the whiteboard???) and saying "negative, but I think this is a false negative" is awkward at best

Bonus points if you can guess 1. the hiring decision; 2. whether the other interviewers spoke at all during the interview

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
once interviewed a guy that seemed pretty knowledgeable and got all of our questions right, but he didn't have a lot of experience in the specific job functions. my director said since we only had one opening we should hold out for someone "expert level".

I don't think they ever found anyone, because expert level people weren't willing to work there

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cheque_some posted:

once interviewed a guy that seemed pretty knowledgeable and got all of our questions right, but he didn't have a lot of experience in the specific job functions. my director said since we only had one opening we should hold out for someone "expert level".

I don't think they ever found anyone, because expert level people weren't willing to work there

why werent they willing to work there? why did the company decide to waste time looking for a perfect fit instead of developing a greener engineer?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

why werent they willing to work there? why did the company decide to waste time looking for a perfect fit instead of developing a greener engineer?

this is left as an exercise for the reader. i expect your answers in the thread by monday or you will be given a 0 on the assignment

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
playing devil's advocate according to my experience: training people is annoying and some people (even if they show great potential) are just not open to learning anything

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Symbolic Butt posted:

playing devil's advocate according to my experience: training people is annoying and some people (even if they show great potential) are just not open to learning anything

having open positions forever is clearly the correct solution to this issue

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Boiled Water posted:

having open positions forever is clearly the correct solution to this issue

I know it's not, I'm just trying to give a different perspective here of the risks

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Symbolic Butt posted:

I know it's not, I'm just trying to give a different perspective here of the risks

the risk I’m seeing in my office (which as every office refuses to hire juniors or pay enough for senior devs) is people leave in droves because of overwork

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
goondolences

don't want to sound too pedantic, but I'm not saying to never hire juniors, just that maybe it's not a good idea to rely on hiring inexperienced people expecting they'll grow into the job

they'll probably leave in 1/2 years and get a better job anyway

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm not sure why I'm arguing this, I'm just deeply bored I guess

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol yeah the answer to 'juniors will just leave anyways' is pretty drat obvious

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we need more experienced devs! *offers below market*

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A good reason to hire junior devs is that they likely have experience with very new technologies and can bring those ideas to the company. Obviously you have to be weary of them but seniors can be pigeonholed into one tech stack and unwilling to learn new poo poo, whereas a junior will be more malleable. Just don't hire loving idiots, but that goes for all devs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah junior devs usually don't know anything which is good if you're looking to train them properly, but bad if you don't have the resources to train them

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

We're hiring co-ops at the moment and trying to find ones that can even program at all is very difficult. I have to keep reminding myself that even though we need more hands doing the easy stuff, the cost of wasting my time on someone who cannot grasp the very basics of programming will far outweigh any benefit of an additional person.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I've been applying to data scientist positions at a big company here locally for 6 months without any responses. They just keep re-posting the advertisements, and adding more even. People have recommended it as a place to work for years. Now those same people are recommending against it.

I just got hired at a company because of my credentials and domain expertise, but I know jack poo poo about the business itself. I'm getting the sense that they know what they are doing. Sure hope so -- first job out of academia.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

what is it that junior devs dont know? specifics about the tech theyre working with? soft skills?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

what is it that junior devs dont know? specifics about the tech theyre working with? soft skills?

everything

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

It's the difference between knowledge and wisdom. I can know how to solve this problem as a junior dev, but being wise enough to see how my decisions will play out or what makes them good decisions or bad- that's all stuff you just need to fail repeatedly at for decades to figure out.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i'm guessing the emails linkedin keeps sending me about the 130,000 fantastic new jobs in my area are somehow related to companies that keep reupping the same job postings
also its me, the junior dev that can't get junior dev interviews

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

i'm guessing the emails linkedin keeps sending me about the 130,000 fantastic new jobs in my area are somehow related to companies that keep reupping the same job postings
also its me, the junior dev that can't get junior dev interviews

what they want is to get all that useless junior dev time out of the way at intern wage rates. hence the requirement for 2 years experience for junior devs

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

hobbesmaster posted:

what they want is to get all that useless junior dev time out of the way at intern wage rates. hence the requirement for 2 years experience for junior devs

I would have been ok taking an internship to break in as a junior dev, but it seems like those are only for college kids

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

They cannot program. I don't mind if they are bad as long as it's fixable, but I shouldn't have to explain what inheritance is to a new graduate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

I would have been ok taking an internship to break in as a junior dev, but it seems like those are only for college kids

hella same
also seen a lot of places where the only junior positions specify "must have graduated college in the last year" or something