Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Caf posted:

You can remove these junk links by simply disabling the "Microsoft Consumer Experience" either in Group Policy or setting the appropriate registry value.

For universal apps that get reinstalled by a feature upgrade, I keep a list of package names for the applications that we don't want and have a script in our upgrade task sequence that iterates through the list running Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage on each one. That's the easiest way to manage them that I found.

Collateral Damage posted:

You can disable it without having to force a standard layout.

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Cloud Content > "Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences"

or via the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Cloud Content\
DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures (DWORD) = 1

...efb

Whoops guess I need to adjust some GPOs. Thanks.

Guess I'll ask this too - Is anyone running an Azure Hybrid desktop environment? I got the process started and successfully joined a test laptops but found some of the things I was interested in (Azure encryption key enforcement/escrow, log on screen integrated self-service password reset) was not available in Hybrid joined devices. The annoying part is its not stated in the documentation. I found out by people complaining in the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Half of the poo poo to use for disabling doesn’t work in Pro which pisses me right the gently caress off. I know that Consumer Experience you can set but I always have to manually do it in the GUI after the fact.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LTSB.

I've bitched out on entertaining this horseshit on linked clone vdi. I'm rolling out a stateless vdi environment for a client that ought to make this easier, but seriously gently caress the cadence of these massive updates and their constant changing of which gpo fields actually do what from generation to generation.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

LTSB.

I've bitched out on entertaining this horseshit on linked clone vdi. I'm rolling out a stateless vdi environment for a client that ought to make this easier, but seriously gently caress the cadence of these massive updates and their constant changing of which gpo fields actually do what from generation to generation.

LTSC means no Office Pro Plus support as of 1803 or something like that. So many people are licensing Office through O365 and MS doesn't want anyone on LTSC so they added this as a big fat LTSC Tax.

LTSC isn't the answer, grilling the hell out of your TAM about the issues preventing the use of native servicing and dealing with the stupid in an upgrade TS until they get things sorted out seems to be the best strategy so far.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Zaepho posted:

LTSC means no Office Pro Plus support as of 1803 or something like that. So many people are licensing Office through O365 and MS doesn't want anyone on LTSC so they added this as a big fat LTSC Tax.

LTSC isn't the answer, grilling the hell out of your TAM about the issues preventing the use of native servicing and dealing with the stupid in an upgrade TS until they get things sorted out seems to be the best strategy so far.

Just to confirm, you mean LTSB right? Unless LTSC is something I haven't heard of...

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Beefstorm posted:

Just to confirm, you mean LTSB right? Unless LTSC is something I haven't heard of...

LTSC is the new LTSB. They are calling everything "channels" instead of "branches" now.

And yes, our TAM mentioned the same thing about dropping Office ProPlus support on LTSC in a call we had last week specifically to poo poo on their servicing model. He said to keep it on the DL but it seems to be backed up by this very public blog post from last month so :shrug:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

They are acting like a W10 update is as smooth as an Android update when that comparison couldn't be stupider. Microsoft's stance on updates is "well, we don't really know, poo poo might break so have backups ready"

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
By pro plus I assume you mean o365 installer. Why not just use the msi installer? I asked our softchoice rep how MS would feel or if we would get dinged for using the msi installer if we have o365 licenses and he' said MS just wants their customers to be happy (lol) it shouldn't be an issue.

Obviously the bonus for pro plus is you won't have to upgrade to the next version of office but realistically if your using ltsc for 10 years, you should be okay with not upgrading the office version? I guess that's MS' take on it.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

lol internet. posted:

By pro plus I assume you mean o365 installer. Why not just use the msi installer? I asked our softchoice rep how MS would feel or if we would get dinged for using the msi installer if we have o365 licenses and he' said MS just wants their customers to be happy (lol) it shouldn't be an issue.

There will be no MSI installer for Office 2019. It's all going click-to-run.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Caf posted:

I am the Enterprise MS customer MS doesn't believe exists.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yup.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4086137/office-2019-on-premises-release-details-february-1-2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Caf posted:

As long as these click to run packages just loving work. The entire point to the offline installer was so that a freshly imaged machine was ready for a person to sign in and launch the loving apps they wanted. If the user has to sign in and download a bunch of poo poo that needs instructions there entire premise is idiotic.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

In my experience with click-to-run over the last few years it does handle imaging and updating after pretty well and you just get stuck in eval or read-only mode until you log in to it with a licensed ID. Seems ok.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We have machines on the shop floor that a half dozen different people log into.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

In my case I log in with my internal AD creds and that is linked to our O365 instance which validates my license entitlement and allows the office suite to function. Our creds synchronize in the backend with AD sync. There's a number of ways to set it up and that was our route, talk to MS and figure out what makes the most sense for you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's with per-user licensing though through a subscription. If KMS per-device licenses are also moving to Click-to-Run then they need to not unlicense themselves after an upgrade.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We don't have O365. We have an Exchange 2016 DAG. We're not migrating for at least 3 years. Just signed our EA 2 months ago.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've been creating .msi files for click-to-run Office 2016 installs for a while now :shrug:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Well then, fingers cross that's not depreciated for 2019.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Well then, fingers cross that's not depreciated for 2019.
You could monitor their GitHub for updates to Office 2019, but there's nothing there yet.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I really don't know which thread to drop this in, but firefox is finally getting GPO support this year. I'm banking on more windows admins wanting a heads up than regular firefox users.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1433136

**gods plan begins to play**

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 8, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

About god drat time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't loving believe it. I don't believe it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

incoherent posted:

I really don't know which thread to drop this in, but firefox is finally getting GPO support this year. I'm banking on more windows admins wanting a heads up than regular firefox users.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1433136

**gods plan begins to play**

I can’t wait to see what way his is horribly broken

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
On the topic of horribly broken brower configurations.

Does anyone know how to remove the god drat desktop icon for Google Chrome? I want to do this in a SCCM package.

The "master_preferences" file actually doesn't work and it looks like it's not an option in the GPO. I read up about copying a FIRST_RUN file to a specific directory but it didn't seem to work (didn't double check to see if it was something wrong on my end.)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

lol internet. posted:

On the topic of horribly broken brower configurations.

Does anyone know how to remove the god drat desktop icon for Google Chrome? I want to do this in a SCCM package.

The "master_preferences" file actually doesn't work and it looks like it's not an option in the GPO. I read up about copying a FIRST_RUN file to a specific directory but it didn't seem to work (didn't double check to see if it was something wrong on my end.)

I just run a step after install to delete it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, just delete it from Public/Desktop. There's a registry key you can delete to remove it from being pinned on the Taskbar ad well (IIRC).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anybody doing Windows 10 / EM+S (Intune, Azure AD) and AutoPilot deployments yet?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Nope but I've got a customer interested in that so let us know how it goes :D

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm pretty much deploying it now as a pilot with about 20 users involved. The settings to get things working are scattered across loads of different places but Microsoft at least seem to be trying to bring it all together. The support is really good as well.

My issues are with AutoPilot - the device just isn't picking up the fact that it's a corporate device that's been registered. It doesn't help that these are machines I'm having to click through the OOBE wizard, get the AutoPilot info with a PowerShell script, upload the CSV to the Windows Business portal and then do a reset on the device. However I swear I've had this working previously in a different tenant.

I'm going to bring another test VM online in the next few days on the tenant that I think I had working to see if it still works - I might be trying to fix something that's a bug on Microsoft's end.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Edit: nevremind

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Seeing rumors of this month loving up VMXNET3 drivers. Time to do some thorough testing before I release to nonprod today!

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/84cw3n/kb4088875kb4088878_and_vmxnet3/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

gently caress.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We accidentally patched our test servers (all on VMware) and we didn't have any problems.
E: scratch that, we did have problems on some 2008 servers

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 14, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm pretty much deploying it now as a pilot with about 20 users involved. The settings to get things working are scattered across loads of different places but Microsoft at least seem to be trying to bring it all together. The support is really good as well.

My issues are with AutoPilot - the device just isn't picking up the fact that it's a corporate device that's been registered. It doesn't help that these are machines I'm having to click through the OOBE wizard, get the AutoPilot info with a PowerShell script, upload the CSV to the Windows Business portal and then do a reset on the device. However I swear I've had this working previously in a different tenant.

I'm going to bring another test VM online in the next few days on the tenant that I think I had working to see if it still works - I might be trying to fix something that's a bug on Microsoft's end.

For anybody remotely interested in this, the problem wasn't a problem. Without any custom branding in place in your Azure AD tenant there is no way to tell that AutoPilot is working - the policies apply (skip EULA, run user as limited account etc.) but the sign-in page looks like it usually does so I was ditching out and getting frustrated for no reason.

Even if you don't bother actually applying any customisations, simply having branding enabled is enough to give you a "Welcome to SH/SC Industries" page and confirm that it's functioning as expected.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2017/12/22/windows-autopilot-azure-ad-branding/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I was just able to reproduce the patch issue for 2008r2 servers in our environment, so that poo poo got declined with prejudice.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
e: nvm I guess that one was old

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 14, 2018

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The 4th post provided the fix

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125574/convenience-rollup-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2

Not world ending if you deployed the enterprise rollup and did the prep script or after and rebooted. Declining it won't help, your problem will come back next month.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

incoherent posted:

The 4th post provided the fix

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3125574/convenience-rollup-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2

Not world ending if you deployed the enterprise rollup and did the prep script or after and rebooted. Declining it won't help, your problem will come back next month.
Can you confirm that's a fix?

quote:

Last Updated: Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It appears to be the same problem now as in that last patch, though it's not acknowledged in the current patch notes.