Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it's insane you need a special government pick and need to be authoritarian in order for your subjects to be able to claim systems. I have some far flung protectorates that are constantly mobbed by pirates because they have a few unclaimed systems, but I can't even claim them and transfer them because they'd cost more than 1000 influence to do.

Vassals being able to expand/colonize should be a toggle in the diplomacy menu, or better yet a eu4 style subjects screen. Gate it behind the domination tree if you have to, but don't lock it out from all but the most specific governments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol -- just got the "Shrines to the Old Gods" event chain. 2/3 of the systems are ones I've already surveyed, and no special projects spawned. It looks like it's super bugged.

E: OK never mind, one spawned in one of the systems.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 8, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

just that my recommendations for which ships should go where are just one possible "doctrine", although probably one of the more simple yet effective ones out there especially given the range bug that currently affects artillery. there are many other combinations you could create, keeping in mind your goals:

1. break the enemy swarm with small weapons, and have enough swarm ships to occupy them until they're broken. small-only corvettes are the easy solution to both problems, but also won't be as good against the bigger ships once they do break through.

optional: shoot down missiles

2. kill the enemy line, and if necessary the artillery, with medium and large weapons, while trying to avoid exposing cruisers or battleships to the enemy line or artillery. that's often impossible and you'll end up with a slugfest, that's alright too.

Cheers fella, have added.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Magil Zeal posted:

I mean it was kind of weird that they introduced the hard cap in 2.0 and then are going to remove it in 2.0.2.

The hard cap was actually in 1.0, and was originally removed in 1.3. I'm not sure if that makes it more or less weird that they tried again.

(And technically there's always been a hard cap, it's just been 9999 most of the time and you're never going to hit that unless you're playing some modded 5000 star monstrosity.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tokamak posted:

In situations like this I make a copy of my save folder and just try it out. If your choice doesn't work as expected, simply copy back your old save. It also works for ironman games.

Yeah, theres cases where that'd be a good idea.

Other things I never realized until recently:

You can't enlighten fanatical xenophobes. I spent the first part of the game beelining towards them to save them from the slavers they were 2 systems away from. I was about to throw down the outpost (literally had the construction ship on the star waiting for +5 influence to come up) when pirates spawned in the same system. Took it back and whelp I guess they can live on their lovely rock. The slavers hate me now but gently caress them they're dicks.

You don't have to colonize planets to uplift, so when I timed a colony ship so that it would get to the planet just as the outpost went up I realized I just wasted like 10 months of travel time on the fuckin thing. Not too worried about it. The uplift will take less time than the colony roll out. It'll be cool to see if they start with a shelter but I would probably prefer to build it myself. I don't care about getting multiple species on there i'll just let anybody migrate wherever who cares.

There's a think tank building that you can deploy in a starport if you have curators in the same system. Looks really cool but I can't quite reach them yet because they're blocked off by the slavers on one side and abyssal hordes on the other. Once I fill out the rest of my local space i'm def going directly for them. I'm having a little bit of trouble deciding what buildings I want actually. It'll be cool to see if the nebula harvester has to be in an actual nebula, I never researched it yet. I had a previous start that would have been loving amazing for that.

Now that the slavers hate me and have become rivals they seem to be selecting systems nearby that have the least number of defense platforms and claiming them. They even skipped the initial system that caused this whole thing. Is there a way to tell them to gently caress off or is it basically just armed deterrence / vassalize / inevitable defensive hellwar / whatever? I'm pacifist btw, although I plan on going with a feudal empire vassal strategy and just dispense with sectors altogether for this run. It kinda sucks because those xenophobes would have been an amazing vassal and I would probably have given them like 7 of the systems that I secured on the way to get to them. My space resources are pretty strong tho so it works.

Faith in science + agrarian idyll + a couple bonuses to unity seem to be INSANE which is pretty cool. Part of why I want to keep the wandering forests is because of the ridiculous science I'm getting. I started with an expansionist empress so I'm basically two to three times bigger than everyone I can see.

Synthbuttrange posted:

only then you have to commit space seppuku for violating the iron man oath.

:emo:
You speak the truth though...

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's insane you need a special government pick and need to be authoritarian in order for your subjects to be able to claim systems. I have some far flung protectorates that are constantly mobbed by pirates because they have a few unclaimed systems, but I can't even claim them and transfer them because they'd cost more than 1000 influence to do.

Vassals being able to expand/colonize should be a toggle in the diplomacy menu, or better yet a eu4 style subjects screen. Gate it behind the domination tree if you have to, but don't lock it out from all but the most specific governments.

I thought protectorates and tributaries could expand normally and it was just vassals you needed to have the ethic for?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So it might be entirely sub optimal but I can never go back to using one doomstack. Having a corvette swarm act as a hammer to a slower more balanced fleet's anvil is just too too good.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Another thing I like about having two fleets is you can level up two admirals. Dunno if it's effective vs having one dude get all the xp but you can at least stagger the ages by a few decades so you don't end up in the ol' "whelp everyone's too old and dies within ten minutes of each other" situation.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

1.0 lane density is too high, but 0.75 is too low. :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Replace Defender of the Galaxy's perks with an AI controlled ship admiralled by The Captain Jean Luc T. "Starlord" Shephard-Crichton that wanders around during peace time doing random good deeds, generating anomalies and leaders, and occasionally vanishing on invisible missions into other empires that spawn positive opinion modifiers. It gets a special "diverse crew" modifier based on how many species there are in your extended empire slash friend group and if it dies it respawns later with a letter after its name. When the endgame crisis spawns it drops into your direct control for the duration, with The Captain commanding whatever fleet you put it in as a level 10+ Admiral with all the positive traits.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 8, 2018

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Is there any way to mod the unity/tech cost settings in galaxy generation?

I'd like a somewhat faster game, but 0.75 is really fast. Would be nice to drop it to 0.9 or 0.85.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
How strong is the Great Khan? I have 40k or so fleet power and getting into my systems involves going through two Citadels. Can I stand up to him? Never made it this far into a game.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gay Horney posted:

How strong is the Great Khan? I have 40k or so fleet power and getting into my systems involves going through two Citadels. Can I stand up to him? Never made it this far into a game.

Yes, if you use your fleet to support whichever citadel they attack first. His largest fleet is ~40k.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I've never actually beaten the Contingency before. If you haven't yet (or not in Apocalypse), spoilers ahead:

First, tailored ending depending on how you did the job. I shielded the other four and received two messages about shielding and the other two instances gave me a dialogue about destroying the machine world. That led me to believe I wouldn't see anything so this was a cool surprise.

Second, I didn't know this happened..I'll miss them, friendly guys.

Guess who was one of my neighbors!

Yup! That's three ruined ring worlds to add to my current collection of four of my own plus the Cybrex Alpha one I restored.

This game is way into 2500. Next time I will drop the crisis slider a little earlier so I don't have to spend as much time watching streams while waiting for time to pass. All in all, I thought this was the best end game experience to date even if the Multiple Crisis mod failed to trigger any additional ones, although technically there is still time. The combat changes make fighting these guys not only possible if you're not well equipped (if you join a Federation), but it is also fun if you're in a position to go solo. I just happened to be massive so was able to handle them myself, thanks to a fortuitous wormhole that led to unclaimed space that hooked me up with free planets early in the game. Even with five 200 ship fleets, I still had to fall back and regroup a bunch of times. I ended up having to doom stack to attack each Hub but could get away with stalling actions with a lone fleet versus a Contingency fleet, especially when the crisis first triggered because I was in the middle of two wars:
1) A border war with the idiot militarist FE whose planets I ended up shielding over maybe 100 years (ALL OF THEM) because they kept declaring war as soon as the truce was up.
2) a war with against a Federation member whom I was liberating spreading freedom to because the jerks didn't like my vassal..actually, that one is my fault. The vassal used to be half of that empire. :downs:

Anyway, the game is so much better now. Just gotta fiddle with the timings a bit to fill in that end game gap.

Side note, if you're worried about late game lag, do NOT build the Sensor Array unless you are zoomed out all the time. It was super helpful for sure but drat did it get a lot slower than normal whenever I had to zoom in even a little bit.

Gay Horney posted:

Great Khan fleets will basically attack into anything so just hang out by the stations until he shows up. 40k should be plenty.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Splicer posted:

Replace Defender of the Galaxy's perks with an AI controlled ship admiralled by The Captain Jean Luc T. "Starlord" Shephard-Crichton that wanders around during peace time doing random good deeds, generating anomalies and leaders, and occasionally vanishing on invisible missions into other empires that spawn positive opinion modifiers. It gets a special "diverse crew" modifier based on how many species there are in your extended empire slash friend group and if it dies it respawns later with a letter after its name. When the endgame crisis spawns it drops into your direct control for the duration, with The Captain commanding whatever fleet you put it in as a level 10+ Admiral with all the positive traits.

More like Captain Jean Luc T "Shepard" Sheridan-Crichton, come on. :colbert:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Man, my fleet cap is at 750 and that feels like an insane amount. I can't imagine playing the games the people that want 1000+ fleet cap are playing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Taear posted:

Man, my fleet cap is at 750 and that feels like an insane amount. I can't imagine playing the games the people that want 1000+ fleet cap are playing.

Likewise. I play on a tiny galaxy with as many empires as possible and it feels like there's room in the game for even smaller settings to be reasonable.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The assassination of AI bonuses by the Coward Martin Anward

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/971683187540799488

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I've got 6 fleets and I'm slipping over it all the time in my Plain ol large size galaxy. 1000 doesn't sound like that much to me, I went over that all the time before 2.0. Granted it is 2500 and post crisis but I've still got quite a bit more to conquer for my Ironman victory achievement.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Cool, scaling looks dope. I hate when your economy finally feels like it's rolling along and then there's no one worth fighting.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah that's nice, it's how Civ does it. I know In order for the AI to stand any chance it needs to get bonuses but it's nice to know how much cheating will happen.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

How did you beat up the contingency fleets?

I was able to muster up enough fleet power to beat up their random patrolling fleets, but there's no way I can go after their defences around their home planets.

I guess the main difference is that you had a full federation and the federation fleet alone can double your fleet size, meanwhile the only help I get is a wayward FE that leaves once it destroys a couple of fleets then moves to the other end of the galaxy.

I was thinking about cheesing it with corvette spam but I'm not sure if it would be effective.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Milky Moor posted:

More like Captain Jean Luc T "Shepard" Sheridan-Crichton, come on. :colbert:
Sheridan is a station commander on his show :colbert: you have to draw the line somewhere

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Splicer posted:

Sheridan is a station commander on his show :colbert: you have to draw the line somewhere

And the line must be drawn here! This far and no farther!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gort posted:

Likewise. I play on a tiny galaxy with as many empires as possible and it feels like there's room in the game for even smaller settings to be reasonable.

I play on a 1000 star galaxy with 16 empires every time and 1000 cap just seems insane. I mean I could get over it if I wanted to but why bother? It's so much effort for nothing.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.

canepazzo posted:

I wonder if you maybe could make scaling a binary toggle that would be placed ontop of a chosen starting difficulty? So you could choose to have the ai start with Captain bonises and then have that ramp up over time?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hutter posted:

I wonder if you maybe could make scaling a binary toggle that would be placed ontop of a chosen starting difficulty? So you could choose to have the ai start with Captain bonises and then have that ramp up over time?
A max entry and a min entry, with it scaling from min to max over the course of the game.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 8, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Taear posted:

I play on a 1000 star galaxy with 16 empires every time and 1000 cap just seems insane. I mean I could get over it if I wanted to but why bother? It's so much effort for nothing.

If you every find yourself fighting a Contingency with a half-million in fleet power sitting over every sterilisation hub you will quickly find yourself in need of every hull you can put in space...

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-107-the-post-apocalypse.1076726/

Dev diary is up. Trade and better planet management are things they'd like to do In The Future.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Yesssss

I've often felt that Stellaris is hampered by the heavy abstraction of trade into straight energy sources. Something like the EU4 system would add a lot more color to the galactic map and make terrain and location more meaningful - and worth defending and fighting over. And of course that kind of trade would have to tie into diplomacy so that "trade" means something more long-term and interesting than "Hey, I need minerals now, here is some energy" or vice versa from AI empires that amount to piggy banks to be smashed open.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there any mod that changes trader stations back to how they used to operate?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tomn posted:

Yesssss

I've often felt that Stellaris is hampered by the heavy abstraction of trade into straight energy sources. Something like the EU4 system would add a lot more color to the galactic map and make terrain and location more meaningful - and worth defending and fighting over. And of course that kind of trade would have to tie into diplomacy so that "trade" means something more long-term and interesting than "Hey, I need minerals now, here is some energy" or vice versa from AI empires that amount to piggy banks to be smashed open.

Have they done a Herbert expansion yet? because I feel like the spice should flow at some point.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The problem with non-abstracted trade is performance. You can certainly abstract it less than it currently is (especially since everything is calculated node based now, so you could very efficiently draw lines to figure out where trade would have to flow), but trying to put individual trade ships on the map would be a nightmare for performance.

Space UN would be awesome. Put the Fallen Empires in charge - that mechanic was fantastic in MoO3, because you've got wonderful trade-offs for being in the space UN or not being a member. And the people in charge can have their own agenda.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 8, 2018

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DatonKallandor posted:

The problem with non-abstracted trade is performance. You can certainly abstract it less than it currently is, but trying to put individual trade ships on the map would be a nightmare for performance.

Not really. There's a big difference between having trade ships be some kind of graphical entity that just moves from point to point and having them as full-fledged ships/fleets with all the ship/fleet mechanics. The latter is far, far, far, far (imagine me writing far for a while here) more performance intensive than the former. A single trade ship would be less performance intensive than a single strike craft if you did it right.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tomn posted:

Yesssss

I've always found the energy credits system to be just...bad. Because the vast majority of energy credit expenditure is just on upkeep, you get enough energy income to cover what you need and your total amount will only rarely dip down. You don't actually really need all that much extra to account for purchases for the most part. What that means is that in the end everyone has a surplus of energy, which makes them effectively worthless. Minerals are what's actually valuable, because you need to spend them on more things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tithin posted:

Is there any mod that changes trader stations back to how they used to operate?
I was hoping the change would be more like the traders have a pool of resources that tops up a but every month, so if you kept pulling energy out they'd eventually run out until they got a bit more next month, unless there was someone else pushing minerals in.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

WELL, ACTUALLY he was the commanding officer of the EAS Agamemnon first, and furthermore...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Milky Moor posted:

WELL, ACTUALLY he was the commanding officer of the EAS Agamemnon first, and furthermore...
That is why I explicitly said "on his show" YOU WILL NOT OUT PEDANT ME unless you argue that the specific episodes featuring his early command count which is probably going to happen.

Also hello Wiz welcome back.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

That is why I explicitly said "on his show" YOU WILL NOT OUT PEDANT ME unless you argue that the specific episodes featuring his early command count which is probably going to happen.

You merely adopted the pedant. I was born in it, molded by it...

Because he also captained the White Star Prime. :smugdog:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Wiz posted:

Not really. There's a big difference between having trade ships be some kind of graphical entity that just moves from point to point and having them as full-fledged ships/fleets with all the ship/fleet mechanics. The latter is far, far, far, far (imagine me writing far for a while here) more performance intensive than the former. A single trade ship would be less performance intensive than a single strike craft if you did it right.

I did mean as proper ships, which is what the people referencing Distant Worlds probably mean. I doubt that would be good gameplay anyway - we've already had small inconsequential objects pulling fleets into fights they were going to win anyway. It was armed mining stations and good riddance.

Having visual trade flowing through the lane network that you can cut off in various ways that don't involve actually running tons of small fights you can't lose anyway though - I'm sure there's ways to make that into fun gameplay.

Personally I think making the planet management different/deeper/more interesting, and making army management part of the fleet manager (pie-in-the-sky wish: a MoO3 style military reserve/mothballs) is something I care about more than trade, but hey people like their trade for some reason.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Because he also captained the White Star Prime. :smugdog:
Yeah, and what did he do? He captained it straight into a planet.

Someone could've got hurt.