Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sarcopenia posted:

Isn't Bob a huge creeper?

Well he's a corpse so that's pretty creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Crypt creeper.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

Crypt creeper.

"Actual screamtail price is.......!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

King of Foolians posted:

Creed also didn't get a happy ending but I'm amazed that literally everyone else got a super happy ending and it still didn't come off as too contrived.

Edit: Also in my opinion Scott's Tots is the cringiest that Michael gets and is one of the very few episodes I usually skip. Watching Michael crush the dreams of an entire class of kids is hard to watch.

Hey Mr. Scott, whatcha gonna good? Whatcha gonna do? Make our dreams come true!

Curb Your Enthusiasm is my favorite comedy of all time and I find Scott's Tots too cringey to enjoy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I liked parks and rec but every clip I watch of the office tells me that it is cast with intensely unlikable characters in entirely unfunny situations

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's most of the fun!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah they basically fixed the annoying parts of The Office by the time they got to the second season of Parks and Rec.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah they basically fixed the annoying parts of The Office by the time they got to the second season of Parks and Rec.

Even Parks & Rec still did what I assume is The Office's schtick of intensely unlikable characters that get away with everything with April and Andy

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The people on Parks and Rec are pretty much all genuinely good people except for Mark.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Even Parks & Rec still did what I assume is The Office's schtick of intensely unlikable characters that get away with everything with April and Andy

Oh gosh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who dislikes April.

Mostly because she was so insecure she basically bullied Ann for 6 seasons.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

April was terrible. And never funny. Post season 1 Andy and Anne would have been a much better couple.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

King of Foolians posted:

Creed also didn't get a happy ending but I'm amazed that literally everyone else got a super happy ending and it still didn't come off as too contrived.

Creed gets caught for whatever he did but shows up later in disguise and seems genuinely okay with things. Toby is miserable and alone, and when Pam asks if things are okay he just says no and starts crying.

Weirdly enough Ryan and Kelly's ending involved abandoning a husband and baby and it still made sense.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

There are some really outdated parts in Classic Simpsons. Like in A Fish Called Selma, Troy McClure has his career killed for sleeping with a fish instead of winning an Oscar for it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There are some really outdated parts in Classic Simpsons. Like in A Fish Called Selma, Troy McClure has his career killed for sleeping with a fish instead of winning an Oscar for it.

Unironically though, that episode ends with a Murphy Brown refererence that no one will ever get now.

edit: no actually, I got confused because Jub-Jub only shows up like twice ever. Though bringing back Jub-Jub for the episode was also apparently a reference that the writers though casual viewers wouldn’t get.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Mar 8, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

There's an episode where they don't have a manager and everyone just does their job on their own time and everything gets done. It's funny, everyone is a ridiculous caricature of a human being but they all do their jobs.

yeah minus kevin and andy the show is pretty consistent in having the people working at dunder mifflin scranton be good at their actual jobs

even michael who's terrible at managing workers is shown to have really good rapport with his clients

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pam was never good at anything she did besides receptionist. Well, that and being a mom. She was a good mom. Her mural sucked.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

she seemed alright at being office administrator!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
What do you guys think Angela did to her cats when she got caught on the webcam?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tumble posted:

What do you guys think Angela did to her cats when she got caught on the webcam?

She was licking them. They showed it and made a hairball joke and everything.

That's not even half as bad as somehow convincing a doctor to lie to the biological father of her child....somehow. Dwight's raising other dude's kid.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pam was never good at anything she did besides receptionist. Well, that and being a mom. She was a good mom. Her mural sucked.

BEAR CLAW!! NOMNOMNOM

Oh, wait, wrong Pam.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's not even half as bad as somehow convincing a doctor to lie to the biological father of her child....somehow. Dwight's raising other dude's kid.

IIRC there was supposed to be some indication that he’d grabbed the wrong diaper or something that never made it into the final cut and that he was actually supposed to be the father.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Solice Kirsk posted:

No poo poo. I guess I missed that. I figured it was something like that, or eating their food with them or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Koalas March posted:

Oh gosh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who dislikes April.

Mostly because she was so insecure she basically bullied Ann for 6 seasons.

April was a really weird character for me because I liked her as just kinda a lovely misanthrope surrounded by fairly nice if a bit dumb people who she can get away with being lovely to, and I even liked her with Andy with their dumb 'she's an rear end in a top hat but he's so dumb and genuine she lets her guard down with him' kinda dynamic. It was always really weirdly out of place she kept getting happy endings, though, like actual functioning people like Ann just chuckle and roll their eyes at her being an actual lovely person to them. At least Ron had the whole 'I literally don't care what kind of person you are you're very good at your job of making sure I never have to do work' thing going but yea she was just kinda weirdly harassing Ann the entire show for the sin of...dating Andy? Even after they broke up and she literally married the guy?

It was a weirdly mean spirited running gag in a show that did stuff like quickly subvert the 'everyone hates Jerry' joke with 'but that's fine because Jerry has a lovely family and is just riding things out till his pension so as long as he has something to do he's fine being the office punchline'.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you seen Newsradio or Seinfeld? People being lovely to each other is funny in a sitcom.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They really dragged out the Angela/Dwight kid thing. It was originally going to be early on when Angela's actress was pregnant but cut it during the Writers Strike, then when she did have a kid in show they made it kind of obvious it was Dwight's kid, but still didn't do anything about it til the final episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sarcopenia posted:

Crypt creeper.

Even in death, I perv.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

Even in death, I perv.

He isn't actually dead though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thing with The Simpsons though is that, when your'e on the air for that loving long, with a show built around the basic premise of social satire, of course some poo poo's gonna be dated. The show's longevity alone is testament to how well it's aged and most of the struggles it's had mostly have to do with the writers forgetting to use the timeless characters in the context of common issues and neglecting to keep it simple.

Wedging in guest stars, exaggerating the characters and being "zany" gently caress it up a hell of a lot.

Of course, it's such an out of control cash cow by now that it's probably also a matter of too many writers and marketing types horning in on what was once an underground, hip, subversive cult cartoon show modeled after "Life in Hell" that eventually got too many eyes on it.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Truly, the Simpsons was much more underground when it had only 27 million viewers per episode than nowadays when it has 3 million per episode.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2017/04/20/30-years-on-and-the-simpsons-isnt-aging-well-infographic/#306896792696

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, I really didn't like P&R during the first season and dropped it after a few episodes, I did come back in season 3 though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I really didn't like P&R during the first season and dropped it after a few episodes, I did come back in season 3 though.

No one liked P&R the first season. Most people didn't like it for the rest of the seasons too.

It's amazing how many good shows on NBC barely hung on for the lack of anything else NBC had to broadcast. I haven't rewatched 30 Rock in awhile. I hope it's humor isn't as dated as SNL.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

No one liked P&R the first season. Most people didn't like it for the rest of the seasons too.

It's amazing how many good shows on NBC barely hung on for the lack of anything else NBC had to broadcast. I haven't rewatched 30 Rock in awhile. I hope it's humor isn't as dated as SNL.
30 Rock remains the best sitcom of all time, and its first two seasons are all gold episodes. Even if you don't stick with it through all 7, I strongly recommend everyone watch the first two.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Only the last season got overly political with a who will win Obama the hope of the people or Mitchtron Romneybot 3000 who feeds on the poor for energy

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FactsAreUseless posted:

30 Rock remains the best sitcom of all time, and its first two seasons are all gold episodes. Even if you don't stick with it through all 7, I strongly recommend everyone watch the first two.

My favourite part of 30 Rock is the fake comedy sketches. Whatever else happens, those were written in such a way that they can never become dated.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

Only the last season got overly political with a who will win Obama the hope of the people or Mitchtron Romneybot 3000 who feeds on the poor for energy

Yeah, but even that was balanced out with some great resolution to some of the characters. It was only 13 episodes, too, so it’s not like there’s THAT much filler.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BiggerBoat posted:

Wedging in guest stars, exaggerating the characters and being "zany" gently caress it up a hell of a lot.

counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pGdzmx-7Wo

The Simpsons juggled zaniness and having tons of guest stars for a while, and it led to some great episodes. I think the greater issue is simply that as the years went on, there was less that the Simpsons could do to break any new ground (since they've already done everything, as South Park pointed out eighteen years ago), and the writers and animators stopped killing themselves to cram every possible joke or flourish into each episode.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

gleebster posted:

Truly, the Simpsons was much more underground when it had only 27 million viewers per episode than nowadays when it has 3 million per episode.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2017/04/20/30-years-on-and-the-simpsons-isnt-aging-well-infographic/#306896792696

Maybe "underground" was the wrong word, though I was referencing Groening's Life in Hell roots and the Tracey Ulman shorts.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

I second that. When I rewatch it it always amazes me that I missed several good jokes because there are just so many of them.I will also always love them for calling out Bill Cosby for being a rapist way before it got national attention.

As for the Simpsons I think a big problem with the guest stars now is that it's always sucking up to them. I'm especially thinking about the Lady Gaga episode where the digs at her are basically the equivalent of the answers you give to "What are your worst qualities" in a job interview. I loved the Kim Bassinger/Alec Baldwin/Ron Howard episode because they also took the piss out of them. But to be fair if I remember correctly the Mel Gibson episode was also very nice to Mel Gibson but that was also before his freak out.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Lexx has now aged ins anely well.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/talking-robotic-head-will-join-astronauts-iss-ncna854821

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The only good simpsons episodes with guest stars are the ones where the guest star is playing a character rather than themselves. No exceptions. Okay, one or two exceptions, but seriously not many. And when I think about it, at least two of the exceptions feature a beatle.