Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CommonShore posted:

By the way, on this general topic, noted good opinion havers Jonathan Snowden and Jordan Breen have been twitter sperging about how any MMA fan who dislikes PED use is a garbage hypocrite:

https://twitter.com/JESnowden/status/971397810556952578
https://twitter.com/jordanbreen/status/971284135430979584

those tweets are annoying. but luckily theyre only journalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/22678160/andre-soukhamthath-responds-criticism-stemming-fight-sean-omalley-vows-come-back-stronger

Andre Soukhamthath has felt the heat since Saturday night. Phone calls. Texts. Social media posts. All questioning his IQ because he decided to take his fight with Sean O'Malley at UFC 222 to the ground rather than have his injured opponent stand.

"I'm getting trolled right now by so many people," Soukamthath says. "They are calling me the dumbest fighter in MMA. The dumbest fighter in UFC history. Even my friend Rashad [Evans]. Everyone is wondering why I decided to wrestle, and I'm wondering the same thing."

As for Soukhamthath, a fighter who entered Saturday hoping to continue his own rise up the ranks but ended up being mocked? He plans to take some time off and then get back to the drawing board.

The ideal situation, he says, is to let his body heal before returning to the Octagon in about five months. He fought four times over the past 12 months and admits this last camp was "draining."

"This kid had a lot of hype behind him, so that gave a chance for the media to know me. The cameras were in my face all week. I love that feeling but it is really exhausting," Soukhamthath says. "I'll be ready to do another fight camp in a little while. I just want to have some time with my family and get better in the gym and then have another fight."

Whenever that time comes, he believes he'll be mentally stronger than ever.

"Even if people are still talking about my fight, I'm not really hearing it," Soukhamthath says. "I know what I did wrong. I realize what I did. I'm going to capitalize on my mistakes and learn from this.

"I'm not going to let opinions of others get in the way of my life. I've been through this before, and I'm not going to let it bring me down."

rip in rip

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i've got a lot of people calling me things like 'retarded' and 'loving unfathomably stupid'. i'd like to set the record straight by saying yeah, lol, i just hosed up the only chance i'll get for people to know who i am for reasons i can be proud of. i'm going to take some time off to heal up and probably not kill myself because i'd only gently caress that up too.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i kind of agree that fighters should be allowed to use certain types of PEDs to recover from injuries. If Anderson Silva wants to rail dick pills to shorten his recovery time in the twilight of his career to squeeze a few more fights out of a sport/lifestyle that takes everything from you, I don't think we should stop him. i don't know enough about the science to know if this could be fairly administered without turning people into steroid freaks like Vitor Belfort or Jon Jones and shortening peoples lifespans but it would be nice.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Steroid freaks like (fighters I dont like) are bad, but if people are just using it for injury recovery like (fighters I like) that's ok.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

i kind of agree that fighters should be allowed to use certain types of PEDs to recover from injuries. If Anderson Silva wants to rail dick pills to shorten his recovery time in the twilight of his career to squeeze a few more fights out of a sport/lifestyle that takes everything from you, I don't think we should stop him. i don't know enough about the science to know if this could be fairly administered without turning people into steroid freaks like Vitor Belfort or Jon Jones and shortening peoples lifespans but it would be nice.

thats horse poo poo. if an athlete specifically needs a drug for the purposes of recovering from a surgery or for a medical issue they can get it with a tue, they arent hard to get or even abuse. even if its just cos they want to make their job easier because its too hard for them to do it without drugs then theres plenty of things they can take that arent on the banned list or are specified as legal under a certain limit. we arent being denied healthcare

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
I might be wrong but I believe he was referring to a grey area involving some hormones. The Ray Lewis deer antler fiasco springs to mind.

I suppose the question is 'if a hormone [or insert weird magic here] is used to repair damage and not provide an extra advantage, shouldn't it be allowed?'

Don't take that as an endorsement in any direction, it seems impossible to police or prove either way; I'm just summarizing a discussion I've seen pop up with the NFL.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I have weird, contradictory, hypocritical and downright psychotic thoughts about ped use in bloodsports. Fortunately, im not in any position of ppwer about anything

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Skip My Posts posted:

brian redban

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

david carmichael posted:

I have weird, contradictory, hypocritical and downright psychotic thoughts about ped use in bloodsports. Fortunately, im not in any position of ppwer about anything

Personally I think we should have normal sports and 'enhanced' sports. In the enhanced version anyone can do whatever they want, pushing the limits of humanity in to anime territory. Imagine an olympics where the 'roid rage and tension for the 100 meters gets too much and one of them flips out, tearing an opponent asunder before leaping several stories in to the crowd in order to harvest precious stem cells from untainted spectators.

Then the olympicops dive in with their electric batons, trying to pacify the beast before he reaches critical beserker mode, which is basically the start of Akira.

Pole vaulters would be leaping out of the stadium, swimmers causing tidal waves that empty the pool within half a length, rendering the spectacle pointless. MMA would have women looking like alternate dimensional beings crushing the challengers with inferior enhancem..... never mind.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
All I took from that is you want anime to be real

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triticum Guzzler posted:

are injuries more common now than when the fighters got accident insurance before usada? nobody was abusing corticosteroids when they had the chance. people weren't taking steroids to recover from injuries, let's be honest. the one ped that you can really tell is gone is epo at heavyweight. but me personally i don't want mma to be like logan's run where when you reach randleman's age you die.

e.
And I bet if we went through the history of people like Snowden and Breen that we'd see tons of posts like "Randleman rip gone too soon rip sad emoji"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Well, we have made it two years and almost a month since Kevin Randleman died from his heart exploding at age 44 before multiple people started unironically posting that actually steroids are good and there is no conceivable reason they should be banned from sport. It may only be because fewer people post here now so the averages are gonna skew one way or the other, but I do think that is a new record. Good job, goons!!

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/971747517959430144

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo it's spreading

https://twitter.com/SecretMovesMMA/status/971617996060942336

:psyduck:

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Gusttaffson would gently caress Luke up

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Has Gustaffson ever mentioned going up to Heavy? I feel like with his frame and a bit more bulk he could do pretty well there with his style.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Fire all "MMA Journalists"... into the sun.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SquirrelGrip posted:

All I took from that is you want anime to be real

it is real

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
The only thing that would help recovery for 95% of MMA related injuries would be human growth hormone which has no performance enhancing qualities. In fact, it causes a lot of water retention and makes a weight cut harder. It would be great for offseason and between fights though. Testosterone and test derivatives would be wholly unhelpful.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Lucasar posted:

with his style.

Running away or being uppercut to death by a fatty?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hgh has no performance enhancement qualities??

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
"Now hold on just a got dang minute."

scrutinizes pill bottle for uncomfortable amount of time

"I'll have you know it claims 'Human Growth' on the bottle!"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

So, this is a suspension so short that its basically over when we find out about it, lol. Regarding the in-competition THC, I'm not surprised

https://twitter.com/Jason_Floyd/status/971777721088069633

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nierbo posted:

The only thing that would help recovery for 95% of MMA related injuries would be human growth hormone which has no performance enhancing qualities.

youre tripping. im sure you know some stuff about steroids that i dont but this just isnt true

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
"performance enhancing drugs" doesnt specifically mean drugs that work like spinach does on popeye or that magic potion asterix drinks directly before beating the poo poo out of dozens of foreigners .. its a catch all term for drugs that usually have a laundry list of potentially harmful side effects that athletes can abuse to get an edge. and 99% of an athletes work is training and recovery

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
doc i hurt my foot, please give me the super soldier serum

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

There are already separate leagues in bodybuilding, Natural and Open classes. And from what I understand, it's a complete farce. A bunch of natural bodybuilders take drugs anyway and then cycle off for the tests, and then bodybuilders in the open class take all the drugs in the world and die from "congenital" heart problems in their 40s. The current ufc system is honestly the best as far as keeping everyone honest and not forcing guys to have to take a bunch of crap just to compete. It's seriously as good as anything any other sport has come up with.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Skip My Posts posted:

Hgh has no performance enhancement qualities??

It will help you recover and grow new tissue. It won't make you stronger or faster or wiser or improve cardio or anything like that. Anecdotally, it helps 'maintain lean body bass' on a cut.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

I.N.R.I posted:

youre tripping. im sure you know some stuff about steroids that i dont but this just isnt true

In what way?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nierbo posted:

It will help you recover and grow new tissue. It won't make you stronger or faster or wiser or improve cardio or anything like that. Anecdotally, it helps 'maintain lean body bass' on a cut.

Recovering and growing tissue after work outs is how you gain muscle and strength I thought. Not to mention faster recovery means you can work out way more and make insanely sicker gains

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don’t need steroids bc I’m natural lean and ripply but hell I wouldn’t mind growin some new tissues

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nierbo posted:

In what way?

you mentioned the main use in the post above the one i'm quoting, recovery .. from an anti doping perspective there's no distinction between training and competition when it comes to performance enhancing drugs. but even putting that aside theres a common belief, whether its actually true or not is up for debate but it definitely hasnt been disproven, that using it reduces the chance of getting injured while competing (from things like overuse injuries and sprains)

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Skip My Posts posted:

Recovering and growing tissue after work outs is how you gain muscle and strength I thought. Not to mention faster recovery means you can work out way more and make insanely sicker gains
Well yes, thats how it works. My point is that you will recover faster but won't come back stronger than if you just just took extra time to recover naturally. It does however shorten the cycle of work - rest - work - rest etc.

I.N.R.I posted:

you mentioned the main use in the post above the one i'm quoting, recovery .. from an anti doping perspective there's no distinction between training and competition when it comes to performance enhancing drugs. but even putting that aside theres a common belief, whether its actually true or not is up for debate but it definitely hasnt been disproven, that using it reduces the chance of getting injured while competing (from things like overuse injuries and sprains)
Hmm I've never heard of that nor noticed it during my own use but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that is the case. Its pretty versatile and still much research needs to be done. I would call it a recovery enhancing drug rather than directly performance enhancing. But I see the grey area where faster recovery means getting to higher performance faster and so therefore is a PED.

To give an example, I could inject test for 6 weeks and then go sprint for the first time in years and I would run faster than if I didn't take the test for the 6 weeks leading up to it. But if I did HGH for 6 weeks and then went and sprinted for the first time in two years, I would run the same time (barring some obvious injury healing). Thats sort of a benchmark for saying that something directly influences performance.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Steroids are good. lovely steroids and overuse of them without proper post cycle therapy or supervision is bad.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
If i can train 1.2 times as much as my opponent in one training camp without overtraining, overreaching, burning out, risking injury, missing my peak, etc. is that not a significant advantage?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Like if my muscular and nervous systems can suddenly handle two extra technique workouts and 2 solid cardio sessions a week then it is probably going to have a significant impact. If i can suddenly handle 7 extra workouts, 10 extra workouts, etc then im going to be much better more quickly.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nierbo posted:

Um, at what IU dosage are you talking about here? Because non-anecdotally people who take 4+ tend to see massive strength gains when adding it to their workout routine.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nierbo posted:

Well yes, thats how it works. My point is that you will recover faster but won't come back stronger than if you just just took extra time to recover naturally. It does however shorten the cycle of work - rest - work - rest etc.
Hmm I've never heard of that nor noticed it during my own use but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that is the case. Its pretty versatile and still much research needs to be done. I would call it a recovery enhancing drug rather than directly performance enhancing. But I see the grey area where faster recovery means getting to higher performance faster and so therefore is a PED.

To give an example, I could inject test for 6 weeks and then go sprint for the first time in years and I would run faster than if I didn't take the test for the 6 weeks leading up to it. But if I did HGH for 6 weeks and then went and sprinted for the first time in two years, I would run the same time (barring some obvious injury healing). Thats sort of a benchmark for saying that something directly influences performance.

well, theres a lot of drugs on the wada list that arent directly performance enhancing but are abused by athletes to get an edge. weed and benzos for example, a nervous athlete might use a recreational dose to make sure he shows up to his track meet or whatever well rested, he is gaining a performance edge when his equally nervous opponents arent able or willing to do the same thing either cos its illegal in their country or they just dont want to use mind altering substances. theyre drugs that are common and legal in a lot of places but crucially not everywhere and there are also health risks involved even if they can be reasonably harmless for general use

recovery though is a major component of an athletes life so abusing hgh is going to make a huge difference to an athletes career prospects. for example a guy like mighty mouse isnt just playing tons of videogames cos hes a geek though i dont doubt its part of it, its because when he isnt training he has to sit on his rear end doing as little as possible if he wants to be able to train as hard and often as he does. personally speaking i only average 4 to 4 and a half hours a day myself because if i do any more i wont recover fast enough, the rest of the day im doing easy poo poo like errands or sitting around . probably if i used hgh i might be able to do 5 or even 6, its a world of difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

JaySB posted:

Um, at what IU dosage are you talking about here? Because non-anecdotally people who take 4+ tend to see massive strength gains when adding it to their workout routine.
25mg ED mk677, so equiv of 2-3 if I'm lucky.

My bud is on 8 of pharma and warned me off wasting my money if I'm looking for strength alone.

• Locked thread