Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Sorry to all STEM people, but most people in STEM are absolutely myopic wrt ethics and political implications of what they do. So long as the bulk of scientists and engineers are people who are like "i do this because im good at it and i like solving problems", there will never stop being morally questionable inventions/avenues of research.

Basically every STEM person I've ever met has treated their compulsory ethics teaching as a chore/joke/time to sleep. When you're the kind of person who sees a cloud of nanobots that eats only children for fuel and your reaction is "I wonder why?" instead of "oh no", these kind of dodgy inventions are going to crop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeza posted:

Sorry to all STEM people, but most people in STEM are absolutely myopic wrt ethics and political implications of what they do.

That’s true of pretty much everyone in every field, as far as I can tell. Marketing, accounting, education, construction...nobody says “hey, does this condo building I’m helping construct gentrify this neighbourhood to the peril of the working poor? Should I stop working on this project?” They tape the drywall or balance the books and go home to watch TV.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive recused myself from projects I didnt want to be involved in, but also it happened anyway and my refusal changed nothing because thats how the wold works although I did sleep better for a while.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

oldpainless posted:

I will never understand people who freely share personal info on a website like this and are shocked, just shocked, when that turns out to be a bad idea. That’s exactly what happened to my aunt on my mothers side Sarah Corbin (née Fitzgerald) in her hometown of Dakota Falls when she posted about her 45th birthday last October.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Barudak posted:

Ive recused myself from projects I didnt want to be involved in, but also it happened anyway and my refusal changed nothing because thats how the wold works although I did sleep better for a while.

The only thing you can hope to control is your own actions. If we focus on that, and try to act properly to ourselves, it could potentially make the world better.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I chuckled at the original post but now I'm not sure if there's a reference in there I don't know or if it's just the obvious joke.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Garrand posted:

I chuckled at the original post but now I'm not sure if there's a reference in there I don't know or if it's just the obvious joke.

sometimes a quote is just :thejoke:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I Love Loosies posted:

Smash all nobility in a particle acclerator together until we find the Emperor particle

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Laurenz posted:

average british family

Solice Kirsk posted:

Man, the metric conversion of a 5 head is even bigger than I thought.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There are some really outdated parts in Classic Simpsons. Like in A Fish Called Selma, Troy McClure has his career killed for sleeping with a fish instead of winning an Oscar for it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Olive Branch posted:

*Doorbell rings*
BFC: Well, Zaurg, we made it - despite your distractions.
Zaurg: Ah, BFC posters, welcome. I hope you're all prepared for an unforgettable thread!
BFC: Yeah.
*Zaurg checks his cryptocurrency accounts. Red, negative numbers under all totals.*
Zaurg: Oh, egads! My accounts are ruined! But what if I were to pull up my monthly budget and bog it down in minutia? Delightfully trollish, Zaurg.
*BFC refreshes the thread, notes the discrepancies, squints.*
Title sequence: Zaurg with his crazy misdirection, BFC gonna need their medication, when they hear Zaurg's lame lamentations, there'll be bans in SA tonight!
BFC: ZAURG!
Zaurg: BFC! I was just, uh... Just updating a spreadsheet on Excel. Budgetary exercise. Care to join me?
BFC: Why is there a red subtotal under your shitcoins, Zaurg?
Zaurg: Uh, oh. Those aren't red subtotals, they're pizza sauce. Pizza sauce from the pizzas my daughters aren't having. Mmm, pizza sauce.
*BFC's blood rises to their cheeks, and they close out the thread in frustration.*
Zaurg: Whew.
*Zaurg quickly types up spreadsheets, then replies to the thread.*
Zaurg: BFC, I hope you're ready for an updated monthly budget!
BFC: We thought you were denying pizza to your daughter.
Zaurg: Oh, no. I said I was just buying cryptocurrency on my high interest credit cards. That's part of denying pizza to your kids.
BFC: You call denying your daughters pizza buying cryptocurrency?
Zaurg: Yes. It's a regional practice.
BFC: Uh-huh. What region?
Zaurg: Uh, Florida.
BFC: Really. Well, some of us are from Florida and we've never heard of anyone buying shitcoins with their daughter's pizza money.
Zaurg: Oh, not in some parts of Florida, no. It's a Gators thing.
BFC: We see.
*Some silence as BFC looks over the budget.*
BFC: You know, this budget looks quite similar to what we've seen Knyteguy and Cornholio post.
Zaurg: Oh, no. Patented Zaurg spreadsheets. Old family tradition.
BFC: For buying shitcoins.
Zaurg: Yes.
BFC: Yes. And you call it denying kids pizza despite the fact shitcoins are obviously gambling.
Zaurg: Ye- You know, the- One thing I should- Excuse me for one second.
BFC: Of course.
*Zaurg leaves for a couple of days, replies to thread as shitcoin values continue to freefall.*
Zaurg: Well, that was wonderful. A good time was had by all. I'm pooped.
BFC: Yes, we should be- Good Lord! What is happening to your accounts?
Zaurg: ...Tax refund.
BFC: Uh... Tax refund. At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of BFC localized entirely within your account?
Zaurg: Yes!
BFC: May we see it?
Zaurg: No.
Zaurg's Kids: ZAURG! OUR FUTURE IS ON FIRE!
Zaurg: No, kids, that's just HODLing.
BFC: Well, Zaurg, you are an odd fellow, but we must say SELL YOUR SHITCOINS.
Zaurg's Kids: HELP! HELP!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:golfclap:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:perfect:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Reminder that we now have a very fitting zaurg emote: :zaurg:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure Zaurg is the old E/N goon that people were constantly screaming at to get divorced, so this is an old, old saga.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure Zaurg is the old E/N goon that people were constantly screaming at to get divorced, so this is an old, old saga.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself Zaurg isn't some sort of genius artist creating one of the longest performance art pieces ever constructed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm having a hard time convincing myself Zaurg isn't some sort of genius artist creating one of the longest performance art pieces ever constructed.

CryptocoinTriangular

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

TobleroneCircular

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just noticed the title! Awesome.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yup. There was even a get a divorce gif made.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
didn't he actually get a divorce and then continue making calamitous financial decisions anyway

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yup! I haven't been following his thread recently because it feels like watching reruns.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maybe who he actually needed to divorce was himself.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

No idea who you guys are talking about, but I remember seeing this gif when I was young.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Wasn't his (ex?) wife the one who took out enormous student loans for an accounting degree from DeVry?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Wasn't his (ex?) wife the one who took out enormous student loans for an accounting degree from DeVry?

His ex - wife invested all their money in Wonderhangers that filled up their house, unsold.

Turned out that she was the financially -savvy one in the relationship.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Zaurg highlights:
bought a giant pool table, planning on having it do double duty as a dining room table
could barely afford his condo, but his wife wanted to buy a bigger house and keep the condo as an "investment".
when it's obvious that they really should get a divorce, his wife wants another kid. z says no. they only have sex like 3 times a year, have unprotected sex a couple weeks later and she gets pregnant
took out money on a credit card to buy a bunch of dumb cryptocurrencies, and is still paying interest on that credit card while watching those dumb things lose value

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

canyoneer posted:

Zaurg highlights:
bought a giant pool table, planning on having it do double duty as a dining room table
could barely afford his condo, but his wife wanted to buy a bigger house and keep the condo as an "investment".
when it's obvious that they really should get a divorce, his wife wants another kid. z says no. they only have sex like 3 times a year, have unprotected sex a couple weeks later and she gets pregnant
took out money on a credit card to buy a bunch of dumb cryptocurrencies, and is still paying interest on that credit card while watching those dumb things lose value

Also, ex spent 50 grand on a two-year accounting degree.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

canyoneer posted:

took out money on a credit card to buy a bunch of dumb cryptocurrencies, and is still paying interest on that credit card while watching those dumb unsellable things lose value

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Also, ex spent 50 grand on a two-year accounting degree.

It was him!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

spog posted:

His ex - wife invested all their money in Wonderhangers that filled up their house, unsold.

Was she trying to undercut Planned Parenthood?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I do nothing with my money, I just watch it in my chequing account. I feel stupid and not taking advantage of what meager resources I have. Then I see stories like his and feel so goddamn reaponsible. No debts, no problems.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

I do nothing with my money, I just watch it in my chequing account. I feel stupid and not taking advantage of what meager resources I have. Then I see stories like his and feel so goddamn reaponsible. No debts, no problems.

Honestly, not being in debt puts you ahead of like 90% of the rest of the US. Save about 6 months worth of expenses and leave that in a savings account that pays decent interest (Ally has a good free online one), if you have retirement options from work start putting in as much as you can into that, if you still have money left over then consider putting it into long term index or mutual funds.

This is a good place to ask questions and learn about this stuff:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Or you can join us in the rear end in a top hat gambling thread and be told to buy nothing but weed stocks:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Honestly, not being in debt puts you ahead of like 90% of the rest of the US. Save about 6 months worth of expenses and leave that in a savings account that pays decent interest (Ally has a good free online one), if you have retirement options from work start putting in as much as you can into that, if you still have money left over then consider putting it into long term index or mutual funds.

This is a good place to ask questions and learn about this stuff:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Or you can join us in the rear end in a top hat gambling thread and be told to buy nothing but weed stocks:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986

Not the right thread, but open a vanguard account, it's about as easy as opening a new bank account. Then stuff any spare money you have into tu at account instead of your banks savings account. That's it. You've got stocks now.

One of my funds with them made like 20% in 2016, averages 8% long term. It'd be really great if I had more than a pittance in there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Outrail posted:

Not the right thread, but open a vanguard account, it's about as easy as opening a new bank account. Then stuff any spare money you have into tu at account instead of your banks savings account. That's it. You've got stocks now.

One of my funds with them made like 20% in 2016, averages 8% long term. It'd be really great if I had more than a pittance in there.

Not bad advice, but "Vanguard" is a big term so they should still head to that other thread to find out what TDF or Index to choose.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

I remember this same sort of thing happening when I was in like 2nd grade. We had a presenter that came and talked to use about that and physical abuse. I was too scared to mention my dad hit my sister with a vhs til it broke.

Code Jockey posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO MY DAUGHTER

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not bad advice, but "Vanguard" is a big term so they should still head to that other thread to find out what TDF or Index to choose.

Good point. It's been so long since I started it up I'd forgotten there was much choice.

There you go fellow idiots: Once it's set up you don't even need to think and you'll still be golden.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Open palm slam will never stop being funny but this is the first time it made me feel bad for laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I read the second part first and thought it was sexual. You can always be more horrified is, I guess, the lesson.