Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

The Fool posted:

Ease of access exploit still works

Yep, just pulled it off in a vm (Win10 LTSB). Dunno why I thought they had patched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Bossman just spent two solid days literally screaming at me every ten minutes about how the new copy management company I chose last year has ended up costing us twice our allotted budget for copiers and we're only halfway through our budget year. He's demanded a meeting with our sales rep and the regional manager so they can go over what they've been charging us. He's chewed me out in multiple closed door meetings for not keeping an eye on our copy usage. He's lambasted me for my poor planning and inability to make good decisions.

No matter how many times I run the numbers, it doesn't add up. There's no way. I've run copy reports and print reports. I've organized everyone's printing history and graphed it all. I've compared average prints per month for the last five years. Nothing is out of the ordinary. The company is charging us too much and I didn't catch it. I'm a fuckup.

That is, I would be had the executive assistant not hosed up her excel document that is now counting charges from this company three times per line instead of just, I don't know, once?

I'm expecting a bigly public apology tomorrow or I'm walking.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

:murder:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

You'd better pack your walking shoes, 'cause you know that someone who would scream at you like that won't even have the notion that an apology would be in order.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
My boss went up one side and down another on myself and a coworker a couple years back because the ATM at his home branch was down the day after we installed a new firewall. Wasn't even closed door, just marched in to the cube and called us incompetent, we would be fixing this now goddammit and how dare we use his branch as a test bed.

Turns out the ATM service provider had lost connection. ATM was back up by the time he started yelling. Didn't matter, never got so much as a "my bad".

I've been called incompetent and unprofessional so many times by this d-bag that I'm starting to believe it. Joke's on him though, I'm gonna :yotj: soon and I'm going to quit with a confetti cannon and balloons.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Antioch posted:

My boss went up one side and down another on myself and a coworker a couple years back because the ATM at his home branch was down the day after we installed a new firewall. Wasn't even closed door, just marched in to the cube and called us incompetent, we would be fixing this now goddammit and how dare we use his branch as a test bed.

Turns out the ATM service provider had lost connection. ATM was back up by the time he started yelling. Didn't matter, never got so much as a "my bad".

I've been called incompetent and unprofessional so many times by this d-bag that I'm starting to believe it. Joke's on him though, I'm gonna :yotj: soon and I'm going to quit with a confetti cannon and balloons.
Do you work for the bank, or is this a "you broke the internet" scenario?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Knormal posted:

Do you work for the bank, or is this a "you broke the internet" scenario?

Nah I work for a bank, credit union actually. We deal with the ATM firewalls.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

Bossman just spent two solid days literally screaming at me every ten minutes about how the new copy management company I chose last year has ended up costing us twice our allotted budget for copiers and we're only halfway through our budget year. He's demanded a meeting with our sales rep and the regional manager so they can go over what they've been charging us. He's chewed me out in multiple closed door meetings for not keeping an eye on our copy usage. He's lambasted me for my poor planning and inability to make good decisions.

No matter how many times I run the numbers, it doesn't add up. There's no way. I've run copy reports and print reports. I've organized everyone's printing history and graphed it all. I've compared average prints per month for the last five years. Nothing is out of the ordinary. The company is charging us too much and I didn't catch it. I'm a fuckup.

That is, I would be had the executive assistant not hosed up her excel document that is now counting charges from this company three times per line instead of just, I don't know, once?

Call him out in public.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spog posted:

Call him out in public.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

spog posted:

Call him out in public.
:emptyquote:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

spog posted:

I could live with the extra thickness.

:wink:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

If this is public and well documented, uh, time for a hostile workplace lawsuit.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

A response to a ticket went out:
"Thanks for your understanding whilst we tracked down and fixed this particularly elusive issue"

That sure is some spin. I'm the dev who fixed it, it took 5 minutes. The only thing "elusive" was the ticket making it onto a team's backlog.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jaded Burnout posted:

A response to a ticket went out:
"Thanks for your understanding whilst we tracked down and fixed this particularly elusive issue"

That sure is some spin. I'm the dev who fixed it, it took 5 minutes. The only thing "elusive" was the ticket making it onto a team's backlog.

That's not spin at all! They didn't say the solution was elusive. Once the problem was found (aka, given to someone), it was fixed quickly. Therefore, the problem itself was elusive. :marketing:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

larchesdanrew posted:

Well she's right and you're wrong. There, I just told you what he'll say.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Weedle posted:

We have every user’s password in an Excel spreadsheet. The password to the Excel spreadsheet is the surname of the former director of the school. Kill me.
I'm sorry but what the gently caress? :psyduck: I understand all those words, but WHAT?

larchesdanrew posted:

Sooo did he just never look at the bill/invoice or what? Can anyone just walk up to him and say ridiculous poo poo that disparages you and he'll take it as fact?
"larchesdanrew takes up too many parking spots!" "I literally cannot work because my daughter's ipad can't connect to the wifi!" "he ruined my space shuttle launch!"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can't imagine my boss getting more than ..5 minutes of real yelling before I cut them off. Poor Larch

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I've only ever had one boss yell directly at me. It was especially great timing because I was going through a really awful time at home with some family crap, and it was such a brutal verbal lashing that I literally packed up my office afterwards. Figured I wasn't going to come back from that one, but stayed in that job another 2 years or so. The next time the boss tried to yell at me I cut her off and asked her to take it down. I definitely deserved some management attention because there were some problems that needed addressing, but I can't really think of any situation that begs for raised voices.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Macaroni posted:

I've only ever had one boss yell directly at me. It was especially great timing because I was going through a really awful time at home with some family crap, and it was such a brutal verbal lashing that I literally packed up my office afterwards. Figured I wasn't going to come back from that one, but stayed in that job another 2 years or so. The next time the boss tried to yell at me I cut her off and asked her to take it down. I definitely deserved some management attention because there were some problems that needed addressing, but I can't really think of any situation that begs for raised voices.

This, I've been yelled at exactly one time by a manager, it was when I was 22 and waiting tables, there was a need for a chat but nothing requires yelling, I cut him off after about 30 seconds and told him to lower his voice and talk to me like a normal person or I'm walking out immediately; he actually calmed won and we chatted it out. I do not stand for people raising their voices at me in anger.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Apology never came, the new drama is that our state re-accreditation is here; well, it was here weeks ago but they haven't finished the paperwork yet. They apparently do this every ~5 years, I think, and there's an "accountability committee" that meets weekly to discuss and prepare everything for this accreditation. Of the 200+ reports that are included in this, one is apparently a technology plan. In the 2.5 years I've been working here, this has never once been mentioned to me. This report is being submitted this weekend.

Boss comes blasting into my office this morning ranting about how we're going to take a huge hit because I haven't submitted a technology plan, and demanding that I go back through all the documents that my predecessors left to see if any of them have a technology plan on file since 2011. All I can find is paperwork to start a technology plan committee in 2013 that never got completed.

So, now I'm apparently responsible for a plan that none of the three previous TCs did any work on and that was not mentioned to me until it was the day before they're submitting it.

Seriously, gently caress this place right to death. I can't wait to get out of here.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

My manager is usually pretty good, but sometimes he talks like an authoritarian and condescending and I've been taking a bigger step to tell him I'm not going to engage with that kind of stuff. Be a leader, not an authority bub.

It's also just nice to be able to tell him to gently caress off when I feel like he's over stepping personal bounds.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

So, now I'm apparently responsible for a plan that none of the three previous TCs did any work on and that was not mentioned to me until it was the day before they're submitting it.

Seriously, gently caress this place right to death. I can't wait to get out of here.
Planning sounds like a management task. Throw it right back at him.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

larchesdanrew posted:

Apology never came, the new drama is that our state re-accreditation is here; well, it was here weeks ago but they haven't finished the paperwork yet. They apparently do this every ~5 years, I think, and there's an "accountability committee" that meets weekly to discuss and prepare everything for this accreditation. Of the 200+ reports that are included in this, one is apparently a technology plan. In the 2.5 years I've been working here, this has never once been mentioned to me. This report is being submitted this weekend.

Boss comes blasting into my office this morning ranting about how we're going to take a huge hit because I haven't submitted a technology plan, and demanding that I go back through all the documents that my predecessors left to see if any of them have a technology plan on file since 2011. All I can find is paperwork to start a technology plan committee in 2013 that never got completed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Collateral Damage posted:

Planning sounds like a management task. Throw it right back at him.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
"What am I even paying you for????????"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

larchesdanrew posted:

Single page plan "Fail to fix what's broken using money we don't have, spend 10-30% of every grant we're given on things unallowable under the grant terms, blame it all on the underpaid, overworked, and understaffed Information Technology team."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

Are bumpstocks legal there?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

spog posted:

Are bumpstocks legal there?

:drat:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

Just create a 200 page word document from a template that is filled with jibberish.

Somewhere in the middle just put "Plan: Fire my rear end in a top hat boss."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just create a 200 page word document from a template that is filled with jibberish.

Somewhere in the middle just put "Plan: Fire my rear end in a top hat boss."

All work and no play make larches something something.
Plan: SCP-1543-J

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

RFC2324 posted:

IMPACT ALERT.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Get out, larches. GET OUT.

:frogout:

There is a reason that your predecessors departed, and that reason is your boss.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I'm TRYING. I've sent off a ton of applications to various places, but haven't heard back from anywhere yet.

Morale is low.

Alcohol intake is rising.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hang in there buddy

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Clearly the place cannot run without you. Maybe you should take the low road and just start yelling back.

What the gently caress is he gonna do about it when you bust into his office and yell that he never told you to make a plan and had he asked for one he would have had it yesterday.

I mean it's childish and lovely but it's better than just accepting his behavior. Clearly reason isn't going to get to him, didn't you sign the new work plan with him a month ago?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

larchesdanrew posted:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Clearly the place cannot run without you. Maybe you should take the low road and just start yelling back.

What the gently caress is he gonna do about it when you bust into his office and yell that he never told you to make a plan and had he asked for one he would have had it yesterday.

I mean it's childish and lovely but it's better than just accepting his behavior. Clearly reason isn't going to get to him, didn't you sign the new work plan with him a month ago?

Larches, you can't just stand up once to someone's lovely behavior and assume it's done with. People only change if they want to, or they have to. Growing a spine isn't the hard part. The hard part is not letting yourself bend over no matter how many times your boss keeps trying to push you back down.

If your boss thinks he can keep getting away with it, he's going to keep being the same lovely person he's always been to you.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm TRYING. I've sent off a ton of applications to various places, but haven't heard back from anywhere yet.

Morale is low.

Alcohol intake is rising.

I believe you. Hang in there but leave if you have to. Your sanity > dickhead boss.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly i'd yell back.

gently caress it man, if they're not your fuckups and you're shouldering the blame for some reason, that's entirely on the people who hosed up and not you.

Bonus, every time i've actually yelled back at a boss they've not done it again because they know I won't put up with their poo poo. Hang in there dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

lmao