Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does no-one read the thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The guy who spent more money than me on audio equipment is making fun of me for spending money on audio equipment.

It's me. I'm the idiot.

Continuing to respond isn't helping matters.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not an expert by any means, and I'm very limited on time at the moment.

But thank you for the vote of confidence :)

I guess this is the part of the thread where I start to think about writing up raspberry pi plus usb 2 in 8 out audio interface options for convolution.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

grack posted:

Nobody is throwing a temper tantrum. We're making fun of you for being an idiot.

Well not JUST him. but yeah this is the audiophiles = idiots thread.
I post here unironically expecting a lashing.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Also just dropped AUD$15 at the tip shop on this sick upgrade for my lounge system (and an hour to remove all the rattles and fix the door).

Everything sounds better in a rack.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 2, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Also just dropped AUD$15 at the tip shop on this sick upgrade for my lounge system (and an hour to remove all the rattles and fix the door).

Everything sounds better in a rack.

I don't think you're supposed to put your speakers in it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

TomR posted:

A home theater, room treatment, serious audio discussion thread would be nice. It's so hard to sift through a place like AVS or get a straight answer from people who think you need four 18" subs to enjoy a movie. If KozmoNaut did an OP about it I'd contribute.

Just start here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/113892136X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

qirex posted:

I don't think you're supposed to put your speakers in it.

About that...

These speakers are gonna get moved into this rack.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 3, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

About that...

These speakers are gonna get moved into this rack.

That's a loving horrible hovel.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's a loving horrible hovel.

What are you talking about? Mono is fine because this system is exclusively used to listen to AM radio???

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

What are you talking about? Mono is fine because this system is exclusively used to listen to AM radio???

They got digital stereo on AM these days

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

fishmech posted:

They got digital stereo on AM these days

Now I need another rack :thunk:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Now I need another rack :thunk:

You wouldn't want to miss any of that 40 kilobits a second digital quality, naturally.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh yeah haha that's right I am sorely mistaken that is like almost something a human being would live in.

e: I am really drunk and I donät even know what I meant but probably STOP FUCKIN GPOSTING ABOUT YOUR SHITFUCK 400000€ AUDIOPHILE poo poo IN THE THREAD THAT IS MEANT TO TELL YOU TO gently caress YOUR MOTHER IDK?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 3, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh yeah haha that's right I am sorely mistaken that is like almost something a human being would live in.

Hes not going to live in the rack you silly goose

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

Hes not going to live in the rack you silly goose

OK. Quack.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:thunk: Gentlemen, this may not, in fact, be a goose.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
So I got some Tannoy HPD 315s, anyone have any experience with them?

edit: mostly asking because I've heard a lot of audiophile woo about how great they supposedly are, and they do sound really good but I was wondering what specific properties they have that cause audiophiles to go nuts about them

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 3, 2018

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: I am really drunk and I donät even know what I meant but probably STOP FUCKIN GPOSTING ABOUT YOUR SHITFUCK 400000€ AUDIOPHILE poo poo IN THE THREAD THAT IS MEANT TO TELL YOU TO gently caress YOUR MOTHER IDK?

Jesus Christ.

There.

Are you happy now?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You live in a concrete and plywood apartment but spend thousands on trash?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

I don't think anyone in this thread could hand on their heart, stand up and say that this is trash.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Bargearse posted:

They're okay.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
At least he doesn't have carpet.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

At least he doesn't have carpet.

She.

And you're wrong.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

So they're decent, but because they're ~*vintage*~ people go nuts over them. Makes sense.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Bargearse posted:

So they're decent, but because they're ~*vintage*~ people go nuts over them. Makes sense.

Tannoys a great brand. These are 40 years old, but they're fifteens so they should play low. Expect to spend money on them (roll surrounds if you can find them, and crossover caps) but they should be nice.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Tannoys a great brand. These are 40 years old, but they're fifteens so they should play low. Expect to spend money on them (roll surrounds if you can find them, and crossover caps) but they should be nice.

Surrounds have been done already and I can probably do the crossover caps myself, but yeah I'm happy with them so far.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Bargearse posted:

Surrounds have been done already and I can probably do the crossover caps myself, but yeah I'm happy with them so far.

I'm getting conflicting information. They seem to be a ported two way twelve, so spring for a replacement ribbon driver now, redo the crossover when you can, and they should be good for another 20 years.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Bargearse posted:

edit: mostly asking because I've heard a lot of audiophile woo about how great they supposedly are, and they do sound really good but I was wondering what specific properties they have that cause audiophiles to go nuts about them

Post a photo please. This thread is for mocking people's home decorating and carpet cleaning skills. Plus I like to see speakers.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Has this thread become Groverstereo?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Nah not yet

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

TomR posted:

Post a photo please. This thread is for mocking people's home decorating and carpet cleaning skills. Plus I like to see speakers.

I'll post pics when I get around to it, currently hung over and extremely lazy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

That's a lot of money for 5 hours of listening.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

He hasn't even burned in the speaker cables for the recommended 50,000 hours.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Probably sounds like poo poo. All the cables are laying on the floor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Which probably in turn damaged the system. Yes, I can hear it now. The lack of sound space is evident. I'll give you $200 for the lot given the poor condition.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Is that a Sonos bridge on the second shelf from the bottom?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

synthetik posted:

Is that a Sonos bridge on the second shelf from the bottom?

Probably a connect which has a decent DAC [and digital out].

e: why sonos hasn't made a non-ugly 19" component with slightly upgraded specs and sold it for 2 grand is beyond me

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

Probably a connect which has a decent DAC [and digital out].

e: why sonos hasn't made a non-ugly 19" component with slightly upgraded specs and sold it for 2 grand is beyond me

It would drag them out of their niche into something boring and simple and actually useful and professional... wait.
loving millennials making everything look like an altoids tin hosed cinderblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

5 hours isn't even long enough to loosen up the loving cones on the speakers...