Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

My rats were never interested in carrots at all but I've heard that rats usually really like them.

Yeah they will fight hardcore for a chunk o' carrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
this site doesn't deserve my cute pet pics

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 24, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Couple of weeks in and the boys are settling in to a routine.

Wake up for fresh water.
Fight.
Eat.
Go back to bed.
Wake up in the afternoon.
Throw bedding about the place.
Drink.
Fight.
Spend a couple of minutes overcoming their anxiety so they can leave the cage and explore my jumper, then sprint back in.
Fight.
Sleep.
Wake up for fresh food and do rat things until the morning.

Still only one of them has learned what the wheel is for and doesn't use it much yet. But they're small enough that they seem to enjoy sprinting around the cage.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Jaded Burnout posted:

Couple of weeks in and the boys are settling in to a routine.

Wake up for fresh water.
Fight.
Eat.
Go back to bed.
Wake up in the afternoon.
Throw bedding about the place.
Drink.
Fight.
Spend a couple of minutes overcoming their anxiety so they can leave the cage and explore my jumper, then sprint back in.
Fight.
Sleep.
Wake up for fresh food and do rat things until the morning.

Still only one of them has learned what the wheel is for and doesn't use it much yet. But they're small enough that they seem to enjoy sprinting around the cage.

Pretty much. I have 5, and the best part about having 5 rats is giving them 2 large treats and watching them roll pickpocket all goddamn day.

Also: IT Thread rat crew grows!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Pretty much. I have 5, and the best part about having 5 rats is giving them 2 large treats and watching them roll pickpocket all goddamn day.

I'm too nice, there's two pairs a few weeks apart and the smaller ones wouldn't stand a chance, so I individually hand them appropriately sized chunks.

I'm ticking all the new-rat-owner boxes now as I sit worried by the amount they're sneezing.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Also: IT Thread rat crew grows!

:hf:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I love rats so much.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rats are cool and good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scootsworth disagrees and would rather other rats just went away and stopped competing for attention.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Oh my god that's adorable. Also, Scootsworth is a badass name.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Scootsworth disagrees and would rather other rats just went away and stopped competing for attention.

Quality kids. :thumbsup:
Especially the massive fuzzbutt on the right.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

The Snoo posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but what does a nakey rat feel like? and also why do they look so wrinkly in comparison to furry ones
I missed this but I had to throw in my answer.

Balls. They feel like balls.

(Ok they only feel a little bit like that. They are very warm and sweet :3)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK I'm actually worried about my rats sneezing now.

They've been here a couple of weeks. During the first week one of them was a bit sneezy, but I put it down to new home syndrome.

Then one day last week with no environment changes that I know of, all of them started sneezing the same morning, and they haven't stopped since.

I thought it might be dust from their food sitting on the wood boards I was using as flooring. So I started cleaning it every day, no dice. A couple of days ago I took the whole lot out and replaced it with freshly washed (with no detergent) fleece and I've been taking that fleece out and clearing everything off it twice a day. If anything they're sneezing more now, it's every few seconds.

Help?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK I'm actually worried about my rats sneezing now.

They've been here a couple of weeks. During the first week one of them was a bit sneezy, but I put it down to new home syndrome.

Then one day last week with no environment changes that I know of, all of them started sneezing the same morning, and they haven't stopped since.

I thought it might be dust from their food sitting on the wood boards I was using as flooring. So I started cleaning it every day, no dice. A couple of days ago I took the whole lot out and replaced it with freshly washed (with no detergent) fleece and I've been taking that fleece out and clearing everything off it twice a day. If anything they're sneezing more now, it's every few seconds.

Help?

I unfortunately don't know enough to be of any great help here, especially since it's really difficult to diagnose this sort of thing, but if the sneezing keeps being a consistent thing for more than a couple of days then I highly recommend taking them to a vet if possible.
Respiratory issues in rats are not to be taken lightly. Better safe than sorry.

Hopefully your ratkids will be alright.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
My ratkids are going to have to go back to the vet and hopefully get some Amoxy instead of Doxy this time. :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Me thinking about rats at all times.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Does anyone have any good suggestions for foraging setups for ratties? My guys love digging for their food, and my only ideas so far have been to use small cardboard jewelry boxes and toilet paper rolls (stuffed with paper towels on either end with the sides folded over). It is also funny watching them drag around a stuffed tube they know has food in it, and fighting over it. :3:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I unfortunately don't know enough to be of any great help here, especially since it's really difficult to diagnose this sort of thing, but if the sneezing keeps being a consistent thing for more than a couple of days then I highly recommend taking them to a vet if possible.
Respiratory issues in rats are not to be taken lightly. Better safe than sorry.

Hopefully your ratkids will be alright.

I continued trying various ways to help them out to no avail and one was getting rougher, so I took them to the vet.

Suspected myco flareup, delayed onset from moving home stress. I have the tiniest tube of ratibiotics and an even tinier syringe to measure it out with.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

best of luck with medicating and recovering! one of my girls had a sinus problem when we brought them home, which I thought was just new home sneezes, and it got bad so fast. she recovered really well and she's the one who had a mammary tumor removed last december, as well, and she's the more active, playful (and honestly intelligent) one, lmao

we taught her how to pull up a rope recently :kimchi: so good. so cute

Skutter posted:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for foraging setups for ratties? My guys love digging for their food, and my only ideas so far have been to use small cardboard jewelry boxes and toilet paper rolls (stuffed with paper towels on either end with the sides folded over). It is also funny watching them drag around a stuffed tube they know has food in it, and fighting over it. :3:

I have a suet holder that I would stuff with kale and they'd enjoy digging it out of there. mine get really violent with toilet paper rolls when they're stuffed with treats so I don't do that anymore D: even when I'm like LOOK I MADE TWO SEPARATE ONES they fight over one and get their heads stuck

wrapping the treats in a square of toilet paper and then wrapping that in more toilet paper is fun too! I buy 69¢ for 4 rolls toilet paper for them to shred and nest with. :grin:

I just purchased a bunch of stuff from drs foster and smith and picked up a plastic foraging ball for my girls. I'll let the yall know how well it works for them! it'd basically be the same thing with stuffing it full of paper towels/tp/streamers.

snoo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 28, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's totally ratical!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They really do grip your heart, don't they. I've only had these little bastards 3 weeks and it's killing me that one of them is getting sicker.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

rat_owner.svg

It's beautiful.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

2/10 loss edit

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

"We'll get a bigger cage!" we thought.

"It'll be just the right size for three rats!" we thought.

"We'll get one with wheels so it'll be really handy to move around the flat!" we thought.

We were nearly right.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

"We'll get a bigger cage!" we thought.

"It'll be just the right size for three rats!" we thought.

"We'll get one with wheels so it'll be really handy to move around the flat!" we thought.

We were nearly right.

7/10 for the rat cage kerfuffle, 12/10 for the cat sleeping on the pig slippers.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dual critter nations are the ultimate cages. All rat managers should get them when they level up from hobbiest to enthusiast*

*loving inevitable

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aww, I love those fuzzy faces. :kimchi:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm looking forward to the day when they let me snuggle them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nice Animorphs cover.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Nice Animorphs cover.

That made me laugh. Man, it would suck if all you did was become slightly older and a different colour.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

"Hmm. One of my cage mates appears to be using my head as a mattress...

Maybe I should do something about that?

...nah."

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They look so woolly :3:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ratt butt

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rats went back to the vet after their 2 weeks of antibiotics. They're all improved, one is staying on them for another two weeks at a higher dose (because they've doubled in size in those 2 weeks).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Rats went back to the vet after their 2 weeks of antibiotics. They're all improved, one is staying on them for another two weeks at a higher dose (because they've doubled in size in those 2 weeks).

Sounds good. I hope your ratkids get well soon.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

One of my rats is going to give me a heart attack. I try to leave at least one of the cage doors open when I'm around so they can explore, but if I take my eyes off this one guy he climbs up the outside of the cage (more than a metre tall) and then panics because he can't get down, eventually trying something stupid and nearly getting injured.

If I spot this and gently coax him back down safely, he's back up again a couple of minutes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Welcome to the experience of having baby rats. They will absolutely climb everything and get themselves stuck everywhere.
Hell, I've seen rat babies literally climb the walls.