Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
"Thank God you've returned. I need your help. There's a great deal of history that you should know... but I'm afraid that I must continue my writing. Here - most of what you'll need to know is in there. Keep it well hidden. For reasons you'll discover, I can't send you to Riven with a way out."

Welcome to Riven: The Sequel to Myst. This is a Reality Roleplaying Game which will be played in this thread and on a Discord server which you can find here: https://discord.gg/k9nXD3u. You’ll find the hardcore rules in the second post, an explanation of what exactly a Reality Roleplaying Game is in the third, and a very short what-you-need-to-know in the fourth.

Player's Handbook v1.2 (Last updated 4/14)

If you’re new to “peraMyst”, you might feel like you’re out of the loop on the story (I know we’ve been a bit clique-ish over the last year), but your character will be indigenous to Riven, so… you don’t really need that information. If you still want it, the best presentation is Bifauxnen’s comic rendition, which honestly is worth the read (and/or reread) anyway.

Due to the nature of in-game information, there will be no spectator chat, and I'd ask that you please not make one.

Achievements
Gizmonic Map Database
Engagement Grids

peramene fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
These rules apply to all players for the entire game. By signing up to play, you are effectively :toxx:ing yourself to abide by the spirit and letter of these rules.

• While the game is on, only communicate about the game within the thread (“#general”) or Discord channels which you have access to. When you have no Discord channels, don't post in the thread. Absolutely zero deadposting or spectator posting once the game has begun. Not even for fun - characters who die leave their bodies behind, among other reason. Speaking of dying - don’t leave the Discord server. Additionally, don’t post chat logs, screenshots, or anything of the sort in Discord or in-thread. Don't ever - ever - edit your posts, in this thread, in Discord - ever ever ever. Please don’t be an rear end in a top hat.

• Player characters possess varying capabilities by design, and they will shift unpredictably as gameplay proceeds. Be advised that “game balance” and nebulous concepts of “fairness” are not priorities. Address disparities with in-game solutions.

• This is a game that rewards cooperation, unity, and passion, but at its core, it remains a game of subterfuge, secrecy, and betrayal. Accept that players will act in their character’s best interests and that their actions within the game do not represent personal slights against you as a person.

• There is a hard two-strike line for submitting orders by deadline. If you will be absent from the game for a brief period, let peramene know. Failure or refusal to meet deadline will result in your character being vacated. You may, at your own discretion and risk, temporarily delegate control of your character to another player.

• peramene reserves the exclusive right to do as she sees fit to defend the integrity of the game.

peramene fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 8, 2018

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Riven is a Reality Roleplaying Game; it shares elements of other games you might be familiar with that are run on these forums: forum reality games, Mafia, ambiguous number of shittalkers boardgames, etc.

The most important element is that once the game begins, it is always on. The world is persistent - like an MMO. You may not always be active within it, but your character is. Your character will occupy a specific location on a 'board' and their communication, vision, ability to stab, and indeed the ability to be stabbed, rely very much on where you are located. This is represented by a chat channel on the Discord server. In this channel as well as others you'll eventually gain access to, you may plan, plot, and scheme your way towards your objectives.

You won't really know who your friends or enemies are until you see how they behave, so you need to exercise caution. On the other hand you will need allies. Information is power.

The second element is that every 48 hours - excepting Saturday - you'll submit "Orders", which are instructions for your character and their envoys to take concrete actions in-game. These include movement between spaces, attacking someone or something, or researching something in order to gain more information about it.

If all you do is check in with your chats and put your orders in your character sheet, the game takes - sigh - 15 minutes a dayTM. Every 24 hours, I process everyone's orders - moving them to the appropriate places, handling combat between players, removing obstacles in-world, distributing new information to everyone's character sheets, and then reopen everything and the game is back on. This process is called a "phase", some folks will still call it a "day" and that's okay too so long as nobody gets confused about Saturday.

There are only a handful of player-versus-environment objectives, and they'll require the cooperation of many players to complete. As we said at the end of Myst, "the real puzzles were the friends you made along the way." Your interactions with each other are 90% of the game.

peramene fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 18, 2018

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Riven is the name of the game but it's also the name of the Age in which the game is set. You can substitute the word "dimension" or "world" as far as synonyms go. Normally, travel between Ages is only possible by use of linking books, which are very difficult to write. The access to and location of linking books are the primary plot device in the original Myst games.

Speaking of - your knowledge of Cyan's game series is useless. I have made major changes to the world, history, environmental elements - everything - in order to fit my design for this game. You will not be carefully listening for the sounds animals make, nor will you be learning Base 25.

The survivors of Myst are hence collectively referred to as "strangers" or "the strangers".

As a new character, you'll be playing a member of one of two indigenous castes:

• The Rivenese, who prefer to live their traditional lifestyle as much as is possible under Gehn's rule. They live close to nature, in smaller and more communal group communities, and are stricter about adherence to ancient traditions.
  • The Rive'ni, who tend to be younger, who have adopted (or been raised within) Gehn's infusion of D'ni culture. They live above the jungle canopy, in large clusters of homes that usually hold only one family.

Further, regardless of which caste you've been raised in, you'll still have at least some ancient Rivenese influence on you, which is expressed in one of the five traditions:

• Malpuran trained their bodies and minds in large communities, focusing on physical strength. They used large, interchangeable two-handed weapons. They were the ancestral guardians of the Wahrk during spawning season. During the Hunt, Malpuran hunted in groups and took down their kills as one. Malpuran did not traditionally train with any ranged weaponry. They performed best when they could remain stationary and leverage all of their strength into fewer attacks.
  • Soldatan spent years practicing precision strikes, making them proficient at fishing for their community. They used piercing weapons, favoring close-combat. During the Hunt, Soldatan would wound and then track their kill to its den. Soldatan would train with blow guns specifically for self-defense, but considered overreliance on these weapons to be dishonorable. They used solda, from which they draw their name, traditional spear-like weapons which were meticulously handcrafted as a rite of passage. Every solda was unique to its maker and considered a deeply personal relic of spiritual importance.
  • Frenezan were deeply secretive. They lived in caves and the jungle canopy, but never in the same place for long. To be Frenezan was to be unheard and unseen unless you were expected. The perfection of a silent kill was a Frenezan blood sport; each individual was encouraged to develop their own style with their own favored weapons. Traditionally, these methods were developed in opposition to Soldatan and Malpuran styles, so they tended towards speed and mobility. They lived in smaller bands, but were known to join together when overwhelming force was required.
  • Igisian were a more recent diversion of the Soldatan tradition, making them the youngest tradition by far. They spent years practicing and fine-tuning delicate, incredibly precise bows. These “igisi" were hand-crafted weapons that were believed to be an extension of their crafter's soul. It was not unusual to pass an igisi down to one’s children in an effort to inspire them towards their own. All igisi bear several traditionally secret elements to their construction. They hunt live prey only during the Hunt, and donate their kills - Igisian ate only flora. It is believed this was the source of their keen eyesight, a dishonorable advantage in the Hunt to both their prey and the other traditions.
  • Ekvilibran did not live in their own communities. They pursued a pinnacle of balance and moderation which they believed was impossible, but worth pursuit regardless - the pursuit of the impossible was at the core of the Ekvilibran way. While never achieving the level of mastery of a given tradition’s descendants, Ekvilibran built upon the lessons and insights of all Rivenese people over time. During the Hunt, Ekvilibran could be found all-but perfectly replicating the ways of their hosts. Over the last thirty years, Ekvilibran have remained distinct principally due to their early willingness to experiment with D’ni culture - the first Rive’ni were traditionally Ekvilibran.

It might be helpful for you to think of your character's tradition as a "class archetype".

Finally, as the game opens, a civil war is reaching a peak of violence.

• Loyalists were once simple guards of Gehn's most valuable acquisitions, but in light of the rebellion, have been forced into military service. Gehn's way of life can sometimes be seen as heartless, foreign, or alarming - but it keeps people fed, looked after medically, and ultimately Gehn does allow the Rivenese people to continue to practice their faiths - even if he does not personally condone them.
  • The Moiety or simply "rebels" were formed in homage of the last rebellion against Gehn, but now - 30 years later - they are better armed, more coordinated, and unafraid of doing what is necessary to repel Gehn's stranglehold on the people of Riven. The Moiety can sometimes be seen as fanatical, violent, or obsessed with the old ways - but they want their children to be free of D'ni influence, which they consider to be corruptive.

Your character may be a member of one of these two factions, or they may begin the game as simply a villager or craftsperson; unaffiliated with either side. While it is true that Rive'ni tend towards loyalists and Rivenese tend towards the Moiety, there are people on both sides (and neither) from all walks of life on Riven. Including, now, the strangers themselves.

Unless I've specifically instructed you otherwise (you would know), when you fill out the above application, you'll have the opportunity to select which of these options you prefer to play. I'm going to do everything I can to get you where you would prefer to be - but by necessity I'm gonna have to throw some people total curveballs. Play to your wincons such as they are, alright?

One last thing: you're not supposed to have perfect knowledge of anything at any point. I might be lying to you somewhere, the information you're learning might be wrong, the people you're working with might be lying to you and planning to murder you just as soon as you hand over the gold or whatever. Crafting these falsehoods is necessary - in the case of players and information, to intentionally mislead you to your detriment and therefore verifying information is fun and cool and good - in my case, if you knew for certain that elements of the game were to work exactly as I explain them, things would be significantly less interesting. Play as your character, in the world that they occupy and with the knowledge they possess.

You don't have to make any decisions on the above right away, and you're welcome to change your mind! I'm just hoping for estimates.

peramene fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 11, 2018

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
[reserved <3]

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Finally, after a year of waiting, it is time.

All of my training has prepared me for this.

REVENGE SHALL BE MINE!

I'M COMING FOR YOU, BITCH!!!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I need you all to understand something.

I am exactly as awful as you think I am. I have no redeeming qualities. There will be nothing I can tell you that will ever convince you otherwise. I came here to do a job, and I did it well, despite everything else. I’ve been given another job, and as long as you need the same thing I do, we’ll get along.

There are going to be things you read about me that will make you wonder what based under-creature doomed you to such a fate that we must share the same air. I am not happy about this situation either. But I am a stickler for contracts, so you can believe me when I say I will stick to the letter of the law that I have agreed to.

Many will die. I may be among the first. Who can say what will come from this desert of pain? I don’t see many ways out. Just know that I have striven to do what I knew was needed to succeed.

To Chell, I speak directly: You knew what I was about. How many times did I run for the darkest corner of a room? How many times was I just out of sight, lurking, as we scuttled from world to world, always on guard, and never one to appease? You didn’t complain when I came from the shadows and nursed you to health, vowing to stick with you for the rest of the mission. I would think that you, of all people, of all compatriots, would understand that I am doing what I need to survive. You had the luxury of luck pulling you towards the so-called “honorable”rebels, while fate conspired to put me in the hands of Gehn. I have no love for the man. He is an insane monster that is as capricious as an active volcano. But his pockets are deep, and he has more use for me alive than dead.

Never mind the fact that if it were not for me, Annie would have been delivered to you, absque vita. With me, with us, she has life, and a chance to see her sister once again.

But I have heard you. You wish only harm upon me, with no room for interpretation. There will be no conversation. I will not weep upon seeing you. I will not flail my weapon upon the ground to prove something that you have no wish to acknowledge, only to have my own life snuffed out by an incompetent, lesser daughter of a greater woman than you will ever be. Though your axe may take me, I will not allow it to happen meekly.

Stay away from me.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Posting on page one

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Yes, me, hi, I'm not missing this like i missed Myst

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Chic Trombone posted:

Yes, me, hi, I'm not missing this like i missed Myst

:love:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Real talk, I'm hyped as gently caress and everyone else should be too.

If you see this thread and don't sign up you will regret it for at least the next year when it'll be "wow you guys are still talking about Riven?"

Don't be that person! Sign up!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Max posted:

Never mind the fact that if it were not for me, Annie would have been delivered to you, absque vita. With me, with us, she has life, and a chance to see her sister once again.

*pauses, getting the weird feeling that she’s being talked about*

(So so hype!)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
please reach out if you find any mistakes, typos, etc <3

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Sheet's finished, and I think something's wrong with the discord link. But sIgn me up anyway!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

peramene posted:

If you’re new to “peraMyst”, you might feel like you’re out of the loop on the story (I know we’ve been a bit clique-ish over the last year), but your character will be indigenous to Riven, so… you don’t really need that information. If you still want it, the best presentation is Bifauxnen’s comic rendition, which honestly is worth the read (and/or reread) anyway.

And if you can solve the puzzle I put in that comic that none of the survivors did (or noticed the existence of in the first place?) you can get major bragging rights!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Max posted:

I have no love for the man. He is an insane monster that is as capricious as an active volcano.

well gently caress this is awkward hey

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
E: never mind i guess

Juchero fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 8, 2018

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I have now submitted my form!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

DIDNT READ OP, GAME WHEN????

Max
Nov 30, 2002

chaoslord posted:

DIDNT READ OP, GAME WHEN????

April.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
*continues to be dead*

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I hope my new character also dies while I'm at a quidditch tournament with very little internet access that was fun

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Kept us waiting huh

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm worried that I won't be able to play enough to do this, or that I'll get so invested it'll actually be bad for me. (See FFVII where I woke up after 3 hours of sleep because I'd gone too deep on trying to win)

But I'll play.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
And I've submitted.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

I'm worried that I won't be able to play enough to do this, or that I'll get so invested it'll actually be bad for me. (See FFVII where I woke up after 3 hours of sleep because I'd gone too deep on trying to win)

gently caress

I'm sorry I shouldn't have said anything

RUN WHILE YOU CAN

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah haha you're screwed.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, guys! It’s ok.

15 minutes a day.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Yes fine ok

I’ll fill out the form and join the discord later

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Podima posted:

Guys, guys! It’s ok.

15 minutes a day.

This seems right yeah

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hey whatever happened to Zulea

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
what the gently caress's a myst?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

I have no idea.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Survey sent! :peanut:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Meinberg posted:

what the gently caress's a myst?

To clarify: I have sent in my survey. :getin:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GeneX posted:

Yes fine ok

I’ll fill out the form and join the discord later

I did both of these

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

She jumped in a book and got me killed

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i

i am myst

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

curiousCat posted:

She jumped in a book and got me killed