Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
For years now, paypal mails me every month telling me the overview of recent transactions is ready for me. Seems pretty shady because I get these even when I haven't used paypal in months.

As far as I can tell, they're legitimate e-mails from paypal, but there's no way to turn them off in the settings screen. I'm confused what their purpose even is. Just to remind me I have an account with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably, I opened up a new account with them recently and my god they don’t stop emailing.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Gasoline is also a good fraud target because you've got probably a 6 or 7 hundred mile radius before it looks suspicious

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Stick Insect posted:

For years now, paypal mails me every month telling me the overview of recent transactions is ready for me. Seems pretty shady because I get these even when I haven't used paypal in months.

As far as I can tell, they're legitimate e-mails from paypal, but there's no way to turn them off in the settings screen. I'm confused what their purpose even is. Just to remind me I have an account with them?

I get emails from paypal every month as well. I really should just delete the account.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you're in Canada you can report unwanted communications under a national spam act. I don't have a paypal account but still get mailings every once in a while despite unsubscribing to each one and forward that to the national site that deals with it. I like to think they get dinged the max 50k per violation, gently caress paypal :unsmith:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

They're probably obligated to send a monthly reminder if you have any money in the online account.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

With Paypal (and I get a lot of periodic emails from them too), I suspect the issue is there's a lot of people like me who really never use it but got an account that one time to make that one purchase that didn't take credit cards or other payment.

So yeah, the main purpose is likely to remind you that you have an account, and wouldn't you like to use it?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I think they're legally obligated to. Similar to banks sending monthly statements.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, I get them too and it's like the one guy said where I used it once but get updates every month. I think it's like a monthly statement type of thing

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I was at the grocery store yesterday putting my groceries in my car when a guy came up to me. He asked me what size my shoes were, I told him and he asked me if I wanted to sell them for like $20 because he knew somebody that could use them. I said no obviously. They were dress shoes not Jordan's or anything like that. Is this a scam or just a crazy guy? Even if I wanted to sell them, how does he expect me to get home with no shoes?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

If you're in the market to sell your shoes to a stranger in a parking lot for twenty dollars, you're probably stupid or desperate enough to go along with WHATEVER phase two is.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

I was at the grocery store yesterday putting my groceries in my car when a guy came up to me. He asked me what size my shoes were, I told him and he asked me if I wanted to sell them for like $20 because he knew somebody that could use them. I said no obviously. They were dress shoes not Jordan's or anything like that. Is this a scam or just a crazy guy? Even if I wanted to sell them, how does he expect me to get home with no shoes?

If he then stole something and ran off how would you chase him without shoes?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not quite a scam in the traditional sense, but some thread here (I forget which) posted this article about Kirby vacuum salesmen.

http://www.citypages.com/news/minnesotans-tortured-by-the-vacuum-salesmen-who-just-wont-leave/475781863

The guy who sold a vacuum to a woman for $130 while neglecting to mention it was the down payment on a $2300 vacuum seems pretty scammy. Or at least scummy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm pretty sure that as opposed to MLM scams that SHOULD be legally considered fraud, that IS legally considered fraud.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not quite a scam in the traditional sense, but some thread here (I forget which) posted this article about Kirby vacuum salesmen.

http://www.citypages.com/news/minnesotans-tortured-by-the-vacuum-salesmen-who-just-wont-leave/475781863

The guy who sold a vacuum to a woman for $130 while neglecting to mention it was the down payment on a $2300 vacuum seems pretty scammy. Or at least scummy.

I think this is probably the same poo poo that Kirby has been doing for decades, it just doesn't fly in this day and age.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

article posted:

“Because we do in-home demonstrations of Kirby products as part of our work, you can imagine that this sometimes is misunderstood as door-to-door sales are not as common as they once were…
Surely this has nothing to do with door-to-door sales being a scummy business from the start. :thunk:

Thanatosian posted:

I think this is probably the same poo poo that Kirby has been doing for decades, it just doesn't fly in this day and age.
Or more accurately, each incident's more likely to get exposed to a wide audience instead of being confined to complaints in your social circle.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Michael Corleone posted:

Are you female? Sounds like a foot fetish dude who wanted take them home smell them or something.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol if you own a vac that takes consumable bags in 2018 much less paid a used car for one

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

lol if you own a vac that takes consumable bags in 2018 much less paid a used car for one

We have central vac. Cost about a grand for the unit and hoses. Plumbing came with the house. :smugdog:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Are you female? Sounds like a foot fetish dude who wanted take them home smell them or something.

By no means does Michael Corleone being male rule this out

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Michael Corleone posted:

That screams "Fetish Guy" to me. There was a dude who was known in my area when I was in HS who would ask to buy teen girl shoes all the time. I knew of at least four friends who were approached separately by the guy. The police said nothing could be done because there was nothing illegal, just creepy as gently caress.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Michael Corleone posted:

This happened to me in a CVS one time. I declined because I didn’t want to walk around barefoot, but didn’t really think about it much at the time. I didn’t figure out why he really wanted them until mid-afternoon the next day. :downs:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Depressio111117 posted:

I didn’t figure out why he really wanted them until mid-afternoon the next day. :downs:

Well? Clue those of us who have a had a few beers in on it. Why did he really want them?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
To jack off in or on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wait til that perv figures out they can buy shoes at the thrift store.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

To jack off in or on.

This is the reason.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

An appropriate discussion for page sixty-nine

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I really wish I could find a Craigslist post compilation where a shoe fetish dude kept asking for pictures of the seller wearing the high heels, the wife got fed up and had her husband wear them and sent pictures of his big hairy feet that didn't fit at all into them :(

...at least I think that's how it went some details might be off bit the general idea was still that

McPhock
Dec 25, 2004
hat-wearing champion of rhode island

Depressio111117 posted:

This is the reason.

I thought the reason was you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4DiAyExN0

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Oh good, I was wondering what song from middle school I was going to get stuck in my head this week

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Thanks for making me break my "no drinking during the week" rule so that I can get that out of my head

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

band's name is 'hoobastank', there might be some backstory not included in the song

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Depressio111117 posted:

Oh good, I was wondering what song from middle school I was going to get stuck in my head this week

The radio stations played that song like twice an hour for four straight months in 2004 or whatever it was. It's not really a terrible song, pretty bland and boring really, but hearing it 15 times a day at work filled me with a raging desire to murder everyone who had anything to do with its production with a barbecue fork that still lingers to this day as deep loathing.

Well that's my story.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

The radio stations played that song like twice an hour for four straight months in 2004 or whatever it was. It's not really a terrible song, pretty bland and boring really, but hearing it 15 times a day at work filled me with a raging desire to murder everyone who had anything to do with its production with a barbecue fork that still lingers to this day as deep loathing.

Well that's my story.

100% this. I don't understand how it happened because that wasn't even a #1 single at any point but there was a window in 2004 where that bland rear end song was more inescapable than Uptown Funk or Hotline Bling or Thriller

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat, I'm so glad I had WXRT and an aux port when this song came out. If I've ever heard this song before it never registered, thankfully. What a boring, boring song. It's just so bland and workmanlike as it checks all the boxes of early 2000s pop song.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

100% this. I don't understand how it happened because that wasn't even a #1 single at any point but there was a window in 2004 where that bland rear end song was more inescapable than Uptown Funk or Hotline Bling or Thriller

I'm going to guess that a record company had the rights to all/almost all the money from radio play. Payola isn't legal now but that doesn't stop record companies from paying somebody to promote music to the stations; really they just added a step. This is part of the reason that radio has been increasingly the same few dozen songs over and over and over and over; the people that wrote them are getting gently caress all from it but the executives get it.

The music industry is really a huge scam top to bottom. The songs that get the most play are either inescapably popular or pay the record company before the musician. It's never about what song is best; it's about what makes the most money for the company owners.

Incidentally the "I heard this 500 times a day for years" is why I absolutely loathe all Christmas music. It started in like early October and didn't quit until early January. The same ten songs that were all a minute long. Over. And. loving. Over. All day. The worst thing was when random pop stars tried to make newer, cooler versions of them and it's like...it's loving Jingle Bells. You can't do much creative with Jingle Bells. Extending it to six minutes just makes it exponentially more annoying.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I used to work at Sears, and we had a 20 track CD for the in-store Muzak. About every 45 minutes, Hey There Delilah would play.

Over.

And Over.

And Over.

And Over.

I now hate this song with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When I become undisputed ruler of the world, owning or playing "Absolute Christmas" or any of the songs on it will be a capital offense.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Incidentally the "I heard this 500 times a day for years" is why I absolutely loathe all Christmas music. It started in like early October and didn't quit until early January. The same ten songs that were all a minute long. Over. And. loving. Over. All day. The worst thing was when random pop stars tried to make newer, cooler versions of them and it's like...it's loving Jingle Bells. You can't do much creative with Jingle Bells. Extending it to six minutes just makes it exponentially more annoying.

https://xkcd.com/988/

"An 'American Tradition' is anything that happened to a Baby Boomer twice" is maybe one of the truest things ever written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The grocery store I was at yesterday has an amazing 80s muzak mix including "Let's Get Physical" :peanut: A lot of franchises here don't have a corporate mix so the staff just choose their own satellite station or cds, it is amazing to have uncensored NIN or Method Man during lunch.