Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That’s a pretty good comp considering the foot injuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How deep is this draft? Is it the type where it'd behoove a team with no picks to try and get one, particularly in the 1st round?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How deep is this draft? Is it the type where it'd behoove a team with no picks to try and get one, particularly in the 1st round?

A really solid 8-12 deep depending on who you talk to.

I think it depends on team need. It's probably not worth it to trade into the midfirst unless you're in love with someone. You can probably draft what you need at #30-35 and get a similar player that you would get from #20-25.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

A really solid 8-12 deep depending on who you talk to.

I think it depends on team need. It's probably not worth it to trade into the midfirst unless you're in love with someone. You can probably draft what you need at #30-35 and get a similar player that you would get from #20-25.

Allow me to elaborate: the Raps have one pick, a 2nd round pick at #37. If Boston offered them their pick (#27) for Van Vleet, who we can't really re-sign at what he's worth, should they bother?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A lot of the guys projected in the mid to late 20s in many mocks are upperclassmen which I'm starting to think is a Draft Depth Red Flag. I mean, in reality, this is the type of player often picked in these slots, so maybe draft boards are finally getting wise to that, but also I think that might just mean that there aren't 20 or so hyped freshman that people have a good feeling about contributing to the league.

E: Draft Landry Shamet and call it a day.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

paternity suitor posted:

The more I read about Mo Bamba, the more I love this dude. Mo's sense of humor comp is a more well spoken but less subversive Embiid, so he is now my new favorite player in the draft:

https://youtu.be/2MT04aQ2C80

Sheck Wes has some 🔥 in honor of Mo Bamba too

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Allow me to elaborate: the Raps have one pick, a 2nd round pick at #37. If Boston offered them their pick (#27) for Van Vleet, who we can't really re-sign at what he's worth, should they bother?

Sure, but, and I could be incorrect, I don't think Toronto has any picks this year and I don't think VanVleet can be traded.

If you're looking to replace him, it wouldn't be the worst idea to try and get a pick in 20s. There are a few SGs in that range who have some NBA potential.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Sure, but, and I could be incorrect, I don't think Toronto has any picks this year and I don't think VanVleet can be traded.

If you're looking to replace him, it wouldn't be the worst idea to try and get a pick in 20s. There are a few SGs in that range who have some NBA potential.

We apparently get the less favorable pick because of some trade involving Orlando and LAL according to NBADraft

I know NBAdraft.net gets shat on a lot for their mocks but they're usually on top of who owes what to whom. If it IS correct, I'm intrigued by Aaron Holiday and Devonte Graham.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 8, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

We apparently get the less favorable pick because of some trade involving Orlando and LAL according to NBADraft

I know NBAdraft.net gets shat on a lot for their mocks but they're usually on top of who owes what to whom

I prefer https://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/index.htm

They claim to have every NBA transaction since the 50s and a decent search feature.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

I prefer https://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/index.htm

They claim to have every NBA transaction since the 50s and a decent search feature.

e: n/m

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

I know NBAdraft.net gets shat on a lot for their mocks but they're usually on top of who owes what to whom. If it IS correct, I'm intrigued by Aaron Holiday and Devonte Graham.

I think that was true until the DeMarre Carroll trade, but now Orlando and Brooklyn will have the LAL/Orlando second rounders; Orlando gets the better pick and Brooklyn gets the worse. It's really confusing. I can't find any site other than nbadraft.net that has the Raptors with their 2nd.

I haven't seen much of Holiday, but Graham could be really fun.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
How did Jaren Jackson move up draft boards with little to no media attention?

Personally, I like him more than Bagley since he sits in between Bagley and Bamba in terms of physicality and rim protection.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Khagan posted:

How did Jaren Jackson move up draft boards with little to no media attention?

Personally, I like him more than Bagley since he sits in between Bagley and Bamba in terms of physicality and rim protection.

He’s overshadowed by Bridges for obvious reasons but he’s gotten plenty of attention in the college basketball world. Every MSU game they mention he’s supposed to be the real top 5 pick on the team and there have been some articles about his high ceiling.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Am I wrong to be skeptical of Ayton? Maybe it’s just my Th*beet gunshy fear for big men

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ayton is actually productive and built like David Robinson

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
The Ringer wrote a thing after Zona got bounced: https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2018/3/16/17129698/deandre-ayton-buffalo-defense-ncaa-tournament

In short, not great on D despite his size and athleticism.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is this a big international draft besides Doncic? Sixers prob stash a few guys this year?

e: This Dzanan Musa guy falling to the Sixers late pick could be fub

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 27, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Am I wrong to be skeptical of Ayton? Maybe it’s just my Th*beet gunshy fear for big men

Ayton is nothing like Thabeet at all. A lot of the Thabeet hype was based on mystery or what-ifs, we have already seen a lot of realization of what Ayton is.

Ayton showed when properly motivated an ability to absolutely control the game on both ends of the court. However that motivation to do things on the defensive end was pretty rare. He was legit the worst defensive player I ever saw during his first three or four games and became better over the course of the season, and was downright great in the Oregon game until he started to run out of gas late in the second half.

The parts of the Ringer article trying to frame the coach of Buffalo as a genius for exploiting Aytons somehow and that's how Buffalo won is pretty much total bullshit. Like his man hooked him and scored on him on a dribble drive twice at the perimeter, and like a few times little guards got to the rim that he didn't block but that's it, the rest of the time Buffalo was mostly kept out of the interior there's a reason they were (successfully) bombing away from three and not testing the inside much and Ayton should get credit for that. The other parts of the article though covering him over the course of the season are pretty on point, though. He just doesn't block a lot of shots, and he is still learning to defensively rotate and still doesn't make great decisions in this arena. It's very hard to shoot over him though and most guards don't try.

Offensively, things are much brighter. His downsides are that he isn't a knockdown three point shooter (although he's not awful), and he also is not the type of player to put the ball on the floor and create, which means you need players who will be able to get him the ball which WAS a put on display in Buffalo, because Arizona just was unable to get him the ball in spots he likes, or even on the side of the court he likes, even once, the entire game. In the NBA it will be harder to stop him from getting that spot because at least technically under the rules they won't be able to jam guys around him constantly (although despite what the Bashez of the world think, NBA players have been finding ways to play the zone literally the whole time it's existed, whatever the rules say), and if he gets the ball in his spot, he scores, especially even against multiple dudes. If he gets to Memphis then even their worst PG is better than Arizonas' and Conely will love him. But it is too bad that he can't put the ball on the floor ala Cousins because he would be much less dependent on decent guard play if he could.

I'm not worried about him fitting in a modern offense though, with all that said, because he's such a good rebounder and so hard to stop once he's that close to the basket that you don't have to run a ton of plays for him for him to still impact the game (also for whatever reason guys love to foul him on rebound attempts and he's a decent enough free throw shooter that he can make this count). He's also really good in two man action and is really hard to stop once he's rolling to the rim, and is pretty good at avoiding the charge. He also runs well and his wingspan and athleticism makes it hard to stop him from slamming home well thrown oops.

David Robinson was much more refined defensively, so I don't love the comp for that reason (although Ayton's Oregon game was Robinsonesque), and I still have like 16 guys to watch, but I haven't seen anyone better so far (haven't seen Doncic yet).

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 27, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can someone tell me why 6-3 SG Khyri Thomas is going in the teens and 6-3 SG Malik Newman is undrafted in these mocks still?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
The way you describe him sounds like a more physical, but less feel for the game Anthony Davis.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Unless point guards suddenly start growing 9 inches in a year there will be nobody like Anthony Davis.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Jaren Jackson is going in the top of the lottery, because he projects to be not fake-age Serge Ibaka who also passes. He's a big who shoots threes, can dribble to attack a close out (absolutely necessary to make a stretch 4/5 worth playing in real games), rebounds, and blocks shots like a man. He has the agility to switch and cover the perimeter. He's not seen as a mega upside future hall of famer, but as the ever elusive center who blocks shots and makes threes. He knows how to play team basketball. His high floor is what's a little frightening as you always worry about settling for safe, but he'll probably be a good NBA player if he makes his threes. Need to watch more games and focus on him specifically.

After watching more Arizona, Ayton looks incredible on offense, he moves fluidly for a true Embiid esque giant, and as Rick said, his lack of defense is what could make him Karl Towns esque. A center who doesn't play defense is like a pg who doesn't pass the ball, it causes a lot of problems. What he is on tape is pretty clear. The games where he played defense are frightening, because he looks like a true top pick.

He's so skilled, has such a high bbiq, his only limitation is his outside shooting and willingness to do the dirty parts of defense, not just standing back and catching rebounds over guys.

I'm not well versed on Bamba, I have a ton of condensed games to watch, I'd been ignoring non MSU college bball until the Griffin trade sunk the Pistons for the season. From what I've watched, he has a lot of body mechanics to work on, but if his team brings him along slowly, he could be blocking shots and making clean little tiptoes 10 footers.

I'm more interested in watching all of these tweeners and wings and figuring out who the draft steal long armed hustle guys will be than sorting through the sorry group of pgs.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

kiimo posted:

Unless point guards suddenly start growing 9 inches in a year there will be nobody like Anthony Davis.

I mean, the pg skills for Davis have always been majorly overblown. He started to maybe competently dribble in traffic just this season. His passing has never been notable. He really relies on someone passing him the ball when he gets to the spots he's unstoppable in (which is a lot of spots on the court, granted). He also still doesn't have a reliable 3pt shot.

His defense was really bad for a long time and only started being good the last couple of seasons.

He's still at his best when plays aren't really run for him or when he's being used as a finisher after someone else helps break down the defense.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well nobody even mentioned whether he was a good point guard haha

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

The way you describe him sounds like a more physical, but less feel for the game Anthony Davis.

This is pretty accurate, although Ayton does have a really good feel for the game, he just doesn't have the passing instincts that Davis does, he's going to try to solve every problem via power.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

kiimo posted:

Can someone tell me why 6-3 SG Khyri Thomas is going in the teens and 6-3 SG Malik Newman is undrafted in these mocks still?

I was going to say age because Newman transferred from Ole Miss and had to sit out last year, but Thomas is actually older.

My best guess is that a lot of mocks haven't updated in the past week or two and are waiting for the tournament to finish before doing so. Newman was flying under the radar until March; iirc he was 4th or 5th on the team in usg% for the year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

This is pretty accurate, although Ayton does have a really good feel for the game, he just doesn't have the passing instincts that Davis does, he's going to try to solve every problem via power.

I’ve never noted Davis as a particularly impressive or even adept passer. He’s not hopeless like Dwight or Kanter but he looks especially bad next to Boogie

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Hamidou Diallo has to lead the NCAA for most garbage flick scoop buckets that you would assume better players would swat/deflect/catch

If a smart team drafts him and can teach him how to play basketball, they'll look wise. He's got long arms and plays really hard, also plays with a very poor understanding of the shape of the court or that proper defenses would stymie nearly everything he does in college.

There's something that makes me think his ugly floaters have a certain degree of NBA reproducability, like Thad Young's collections of nasty weird scoops and flicks that should not go in.

As for other Kentucky guys, Gilgeous Alexander shows not much other than impressively long strides, he can really cover ground

Kevin Knox has been compared to Tobias Harris, it seeems like everyone is getting that comp now that Tobias Harris is in LA. Everyone wants these tweener forward guys to develop the go to dribble move and a three point shot. It's a lot harder than it sounds

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I’ve never noted Davis as a particularly impressive or even adept passer. He’s not hopeless like Dwight or Kanter but he looks especially bad next to Boogie

I feel like they figured it out at the end and that Davis is pretty good at weaving the ball through traffic.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Anyone know how Melvin Frazier, Jr out of Tulane compare to recent junior wings that declared and had success?

https://twitter.com/melvinjrrr/status/978645335915540482

I would love for a local guy to make a positive impact on the league again. I read an article that projects him being take as a late first-rounder.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nick Ward is entering the draft without an agent, which leads me to believe he's probably going to come back in the end. He's undersized and a bit anachronistic (think poor man's Zach Randolph but capable of leaving the ground). Love the guy but I don't think he has much of an NBA future.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is such a good draft and next year is such a lovely one that I think anybody outside of the guaranteed lottery hiring an agent is just making a mistake.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

As for other Kentucky guys, Gilgeous Alexander shows not much other than impressively long strides, he can really cover ground

I like this dude for Charlotte mostly because of fit, didn’t he show a lot in the back half?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kiimo posted:

This is such a good draft and next year is such a lovely one that I think anybody outside of the guaranteed lottery hiring an agent is just making a mistake.

Who's gonna be the obligatory guy that does this and ends up going in the second round/undrafted

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Who's gonna be the obligatory guy that does this and ends up going in the second round/undrafted

Probably Ralle Alkins. One of the reasons his stock fell so much over the course of the year is he just didn't show any progress, I think a season where he would've been Arizona's #1 option a whole year might have helped quite a bit.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How stupid am I for thinking Collin Sexton is a better prospect than Trae Young

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Not very stupid.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm not totally convinced he can shoot and he didn't really try on defense or look to get other people involved (caveat to that being that the rest of the team wasn't that great) but if you can get over that I guess sure. He's really athletic and gets to the line basically at will.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 3, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There are huge holes in Trae Young's game but his vision is elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Young isn't an elite athlete and can't guard anyone but his passing is unreal, he's a good ballhandler, and his ceiling as a shooter is super high. He wore down trying to be his team's entire offense but he seems like a guy who is going to be way better if he can get decent teammates around him. I'm not sure Sexton's game is changing much regardless of who is around him. His ceiling is similar to someone like Donovan Mitchell but I could also easily see him being more of a Mudiay/Payton type.

• Locked thread