Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

katkillad2 posted:

I'm going to be the Nintendo fan hipster and say this direct really wasn't for me. It's awesome Octopath got a release date. I hope Smash is a new game and not just a port with Splatoon characters.

i'm the same way.

just give me smo dlc, what the heck it's a slam dunk homerun just give me more power moons to collect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

GenericMartini posted:

i feel like this is a new smash.

Agreed especially with the silhouettes obscuring who is in the game.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Barudak posted:

Captain Toad is a fun game but not great, deep, or long so please do not go in thinking this is an obscure gem.

Its fun and easy to break down into short play bursts, for those times where you only play your Switch for a few minutes... you know... like on bus/subway/metro

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

GenericMartini posted:

i feel like this is a new smash.

They had alternate costumes since brawl ! Sakurai just doesn't like em for the most part

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

Its fun and easy to break down into a couple minute play burts, for those times where you only play your Switch for a few minutes... you know... like on bus/subway/metro

Itd still be really middling? Just because its a bite sized snack doesnt mean it tastes good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FireMrshlBill posted:

Now they just need to port the 2 Zelda HD releases, XCX, NSMB and SM3D World over and my WiiU will just be a fancy Wii...

You forgot Wonderful 101 and TMS. Is that it?

Hmm...Pikmin 3...Yoshis Wooly World and PM Color Splash.

There really isn't much left to port. And most of those don't really need to be ported or won't be ported anyway.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

that looks like the roster from the wii u game

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
wii u, the netflix machine

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Wanna play as that chain chomp so bad

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Waltzing Along posted:

There really isn't much left to port. And most of those don't really need to be ported or won't be ported anyway.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE so I can buy it and not play it a second time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What if it's not breath of the wild link but cool young anime geralt?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Barudak posted:

Itd still be really middling? Just because its a bite sized snack doesnt mean it tastes good.

As long as it is appropriately priced, I think it works better on the Switch since after a puzzle or two, you are usually done for the time being and can come back to it later.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

wow, looks like GOTY 2018 Mario Tennis Aces already is inspiring comparisons to 2017 GOTY Zelda BOTW

Haha

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

404notfound posted:

jesus christ

I couldn't believe he said it either.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

For a second there I thought Mario was going start giving the "I love brawl" speech.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mario Tennis needs a 'basic controls' mode that makes it play exactly like Wii Sports Tennis. No fancy poo poo, just simply-as-hell gameplay so they can tap back in to that crowd of non-gamers they'd gotten a hold of with the Wii (because the Switch needs to sell even faster :v:).

At its core, a good Mario Tennis match is just an enhanced game of pong. Little cutscenes, minigames, poo poo that makes you invincible, or impossible for the receiver to return, ruins it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zelder posted:

They had alternate costumes since brawl ! Sakurai just doesn't like em for the most part

Brawl was litetally just Wario right?

4 had Olimar/Aleph, alt gender Robin/Wiifit Trainer/Villager/Corrin, Classic and Warioware Wario, Classic and Advent Children Cloud and Sweatshirt Little Mac.

Trying to think if there were any others.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Ya, I did forget Wooly World and Color Splash, was never big into Pikmin or Wonderful 101 and haven't had time to get into any of the TMS games. But ya, if they port the top 10 over, that'll kill most of the need to keep the system around and even with the added dev cost to port, they'll get a return on investment finally.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Japanese Nintendo Direct had some exclusive stuff. Taiko Drum Master is coming to Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-gTqNP1QY

YESSSSSSSSS
I couldn't care less about Smash but Taiko Drum Master? :woop:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It really does beg the question of if/when the Wii U will be totally obsolete.

And I hope Captain Toad is in smash.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:psyduck:

https://nintendoeverything.com/gamemaker-studio-2-to-launch-on-switch/

quote:

DUNDEE, SCOTLAND – March 8th 2018 – GameMaker Studio 2, the leading 2D game development engine, has signed a deal with Nintendo, meaning GameMaker games can be exported directly to Nintendo Switch. GameMaker is expanding its already significant reach to developers looking to release on the hugely successful console that can be played anytime, anywhere, with anyone. First launched by YoYo Games in March 2017, GameMaker Studio 2 has seen continual growth since its release, and it is ready to take another step forward by forging a partnership with Nintendo. This will culminate with the launch of the GameMaker Studio 2 Nintendo Switch edition in summer, 2018.

“We’re thrilled to be entering into a relationship with Nintendo, with the opportunities this will bring to our game development community, and most importantly, the players themselves,” said James Cox, General Manager, YoYo Games. “Nintendo has been hugely supportive of bringing independent releases to the Nintendo Switch console, and this partnership will mean even more wonderful games are released on the platform. We’re working hard to ensure the Nintendo Switch version of GameMaker Studio 2 retains the already excellent functionality of the engine, and we are committed to supporting developers and studios who are keen to make the jump to Nintendo’s record-breaking console.”

Following the announcement of Undertale’s imminent arrival on Nintendo Switch, Toby Fox, creator of Undertale said, “I’m excited to use GameMaker Studio 2 to put Undertale on Nintendo Switch. I’m a big fan of Nintendo. I hope Mario plays my game.”

More information about the release date and the supported games will be announced closer to the official launch in summer, 2018.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I wonder what the approval process will be like for putting on eShop? Aren't they more strict than Apple when it comes to that?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Barudak posted:

Captain Toad is a fun game but not great, deep, or long so please do not go in thinking this is an obscure gem.

Be prepared for internet rage when it's $50

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zore posted:

4 had Olimar/Aleph, alt gender Robin/Wiifit Trainer/Villager/Corrin, Classic and Warioware Wario, Classic and Advent Children Cloud and Sweatshirt Little Mac.

Short and long hair Bayonetta.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Switch Smash please have the announcer yell out the title like in the 64 one, that was hype

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/MexicanLuggy/status/971882533167054848

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also Smash better have transforming characters back so I can have Pokemon Trainer. gently caress this 'oh here's just Charizard' bullshit :colbert:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Three takeaways: Toby Fox is adorable, GameMaker Studio came from Dundee? and does this potentially end in a Switch Store that's as impenetrably full of garbage as Steam?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

drat it, beaten

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Super pumped about Okami, Crash, Smash, and Octolings and some of the other stuff was cool too! What a good direct!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

That loving owwwwwwwns

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Going to be super pumped to play as Spring Man in Smash for Switch, rather than play as Spring Man in Arms

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mario Tennis needs a 'basic controls' mode that makes it play exactly like Wii Sports Tennis. No fancy poo poo, just simply-as-hell gameplay so they can tap back in to that crowd of non-gamers they'd gotten a hold of with the Wii (because the Switch needs to sell even faster :v:).

Should have called it max payne tennis

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Zore posted:

Bowser Jr and Koopa kids

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Captain Toad is a great slow paced, chill out, stop and smell the roses kind of game. I've recently gone back to it to try and 100% it and am having a blast. Sometimes the camera is awful but it's not insurmountable.

Once funny quirk is that if you have a Toad amiibo, a mini pixel Toad will hide in the stage, and you need to find him and touch him on the Wiiu gamepad. When you are near his location, he chirps out this high pitched version of Captain Toad's signature, uh, sing song grunt thing he does. But the pixel Toad does it like 2 octaves higher, making it one of the most shrill, grating things ever, and when you're closer to finding him, he does it louder and faster. It is both brain piercing, and hilarious because jesus christ Nintendo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/971885028245307392
https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/971886565872955393

Sakurai's in there. Please be patient!!!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Stoked for Okami, Captain Toad, Undertale, and that Splatoon 2 single-player expansion. Hopefully Game Maker supporting Switch means we’ll see Hotline Miami at some point as well.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Astro7x posted:

Be prepared for internet rage when it's $50

I bought a Wii u for my ex gf and kids hoping to play Toad on it but then we broke up and I never did. I'll gladly pay full price for it now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I hope they let him sleep this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

What a goddamn hero.

• Locked thread