Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes. The thesis here is that only perfect angelic paragons of virtue can be real victims. Once you do something wrong you become a perpetrator, and no one can be both a victim and a perpetrator.

But what about self-abuse? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Randaconda posted:

Frankenstein was portrayed as a victim in the book pretty clearly, wasn't he?

Yes, everyone who works for The Sun and everyone who reads The Sun should be shot into the sun

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Former DILF posted:

he just made explicit the abstract thought behind what makes america great

The Sun is British.

Pity us. :smithicide:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Frankenstein was portrayed as a victim in the book pretty clearly, wasn't he?

It's been a while since I last read it but I remember him being an rear end in a top hat who kills several innocent people (including small children?)

OK I'll admit it, I wrote the article.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

It's been a while since I last read it but I remember him being an rear end in a top hat who kills several innocent people (including small children?)

OK I'll admit it, I wrote the article.

The Monster is both victim and villain.

The same as his creator.

There is a duality to the character that makes him so endearing and enduring

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, Victor refused to take responsibility for his creation.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Proteus Jones posted:

It's probably also when they were trying to get at the safe.

There's another video going around of them trying to bust into the safe with the JCB in a housing estate later on.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

not really sure if this is a fit for this thread

https://twitter.com/Techmeme/status/971459841993658371

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darth Walrus posted:

The Sun is British.

Pity us. :smithicide:
Why don't I make it worse instead?

Frankenstein’s monster? He was stitched up, say millennials

The Times.

From two days earlier.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
So the conceit of both of these articles is "Millenials are bad because they read the original book instead of just watching the movie"?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rysithusiku posted:

So the conceit of both of these articles is "Millenials are bad because they read the original book instead of just watching the movie"?

*EVEN THE MOVIES HAVE HIM BE SYMPATHETIC*

In fact it's SUPER easy to argue that he's WAY more sympathetic in the Karloff films than he was even in the book! In the book he could function properly, he just was despised for not being right!

In the movies he's literally mentally ill and underdeveloped and is WAY more of a victim

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rysithusiku posted:

No, the conceit is “Millennials don’t believe in the just world fallacy therefore they are childish and unserious.”

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Burkion posted:

*EVEN THE MOVIES HAVE HIM BE SYMPATHETIC*

In fact it's SUPER easy to argue that he's WAY more sympathetic in the Karloff films than he was even in the book! In the book he could function properly, he just was despised for not being right!

In the movies he's literally mentally ill and underdeveloped and is WAY more of a victim

I think the movies also had him much more deformed. I recall in the book the Creature did not look that monstrous until he started moving.

Terry Practhett and the game Arcanum might be the only two instances of media that remembers this. In the former, the igor race like to replace their body parts with better ones from dead bodies; the men look deformed but the women are beautiful. In Arcanum, you can chose to play a Frankenstein creature where you get a massive bonus to charisma but with an equally massive penalty to dexterity, and can only speak like you have low intelligence.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This has definitely been posted on r/childfree, except with an ending where everyone claps and the mom gets arrested

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

I think the movies also had him much more deformed. I recall in the book the Creature did not look that monstrous until he started moving.

Terry Practhett and the game Arcanum might be the only two instances of media that remembers this. In the former, the igor race like to replace their body parts with better ones from dead bodies; the men look deformed but the women are beautiful. In Arcanum, you can chose to play a Frankenstein creature where you get a massive bonus to charisma but with an equally massive penalty to dexterity, and can only speak like you have low intelligence.

The whole deal with the Creature in the book was that he LOOKED fine. Frankenstein was a good doctor, he knew how to put someone together, and how the body was constructed was kept as vague as possible.

The problem was that, yeah, the way the Creature moved and especially the way his eyes looked were just

Wrong.

They were not human. They were off. That's what betrayed the Creature as a thing set apart from man

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
It's been a long long time since I've read the book but im pretty sure he still looked obviously monstrous in skin tone and such.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.authorama.com/frankenstein-9.html

quote:

His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips.

I've dated worse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jojoinnit posted:

It's been a long long time since I've read the book but im pretty sure he still looked obviously monstrous in skin tone and such.

Also wasn't he pretty huge because Frankenstein couldn't work with the tiny bits required to make a human-scale body? I might be misremembering that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Also wasn't he pretty huge because Frankenstein couldn't work with the tiny bits required to make a human-scale body? I might be misremembering that.

He vould have an enormous schwanzschtücker.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tiggum posted:

Yes, in the book he was eight feet tall. So, eight feet tall, shriveled complexion, straight black lips. A real looker.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, in the book he was eight feet tall. So, eight feet tall, shriveled complexion, straight black lips. A real looker.

Still not the covered in scars, literal flat head, half sunken in face, metal bits and bobs sticking out of half decayed flesh of the movies.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Don't get this thread closed due to a Frankenstein derail!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What's his forums' moniker?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

The Monster is both victim and villain.

The same as his creator.

There is a duality to the character that makes him so endearing and enduring

Is he really that much of a victim in the book? I myself am horribly misshapen and shunned by the townsfolk, but I don't go around killing children.

It's a different story when you look at his depiction in pop culture though, yeah.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You've had time to grow into your role in society (hunting vampires?) Whereas Frankenstein's monster did not.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Don't get this thread closed due to a Frankenstein derail!

This headline gets better with every word read.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

So Aaron Eckhart, got it!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

Is he really that much of a victim in the book? I myself am horribly misshapen and shunned by the townsfolk, but I don't go around killing children.

It's a different story when you look at his depiction in pop culture though, yeah.

The whole point is that he starts out a blank slate and no one bothers to teach him how to be. You presumably had parents and friends and such. Literally everyone he trusts turns on him. His first experience is his own creator turning away in horror.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The whole point is that he starts out a blank slate and no one bothers to teach him how to be. You presumably had parents and friends and such. Literally everyone he trusts turns on him. His first experience is his own creator turning away in horror.

He's an incel.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Her father is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/crobb149/status/970893345118539777

https://twitter.com/crobb149/status/971153470630719489

https://twitter.com/crobb149/status/971198732094984192

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Good dog

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Man held for 47 DAYS without having a POO freed after police drop charges

The cops even had regular Twitter updates about the ordeal for a while:

http://twitter.com/OpRaptorWest/status/958727249607512064?s=19

mrkillboy has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Mar 9, 2018

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"remove items from his person" what the gently caress kind of terminology is that? :itwaspoo:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

"remove items from his person" what the gently caress kind of terminology is that? :itwaspoo:

The drugs he swallowed when they initially arrested him.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I went a week without making GBS threads, this one time. Do not recommend.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

https://twitter.com/OpRaptorWest/status/953738557952274432?s=20

#thinkagain

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

how is that even possible