Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Apart from the scale on the left not going all the way up to 30m what's the problem with this graph? Scales are linear, color coding is clear, and the data it's trying to highlight is easily understood? Am i missing something.

Also fortnite is clearly more entertaining than pubg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Slash posted:

Apart from the scale on the left not going all the way up to 30m what's the problem with this graph? Scales are linear, color coding is clear, and the data it's trying to highlight is easily understood? Am i missing something.

Also fortnite is clearly more entertaining than pubg

I'm the bar labels.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm the bar labels.
I assume it's "rank of game in total watches per week" it's just not labelled anywhere.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I assume it's "rank of game in total watches per week" it's just not labelled anywhere.

I also made the same assumption. I concede that the key should explain it, wouldn't call it an "awful graph" based on that alone though.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I would. I had no clue what most of that stuff meant. At first I thought the M might be minutes on the Y axis, until I realized that didn't really work and figured out that it meant Millions, but it didn't explain the rank label on the bars AT ALL and I couldn't make heads or tails of that, and it doesn't help that "Hours watched per week" is above the color key so I was like "2 hours per week? Like, average per viewer? What?"

It's too confusingly laid out to get away with not labeling things. That alone makes it awful imo

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah those bar labels threw me for a loop too.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm kind of wondering what happened in January there, too.

LoL is obviously looming in first the entire time until Fortnite beats it at the end, but there's an interesting shift in the absolute position of number two between 1/1 and 1/29. Something's got a lot of viewers on 1/15 and then fewer two weeks later. What peaks over holiday time? Was there a DOTA 2 tournament or CSGO or something? I don't even know what the youth these days watch I just assume it's moba or fps and not like, really big fighting game tournament.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

LoL is obviously looming in first the entire time until Fortnite beats it at the end, but there's an interesting shift in the absolute position of number two between 1/1 and 1/29. Something's got a lot of viewers on 1/15 and then fewer two weeks later. What peaks over holiday time? Was there a DOTA 2 tournament or CSGO or something? I don't even know what the youth these days watch I just assume it's moba or fps and not like, really big fighting game tournament.

The winter Games Done Quick marathon, which raised a fuckton of money for charity, was the constant #1 in that time frame I believe

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
e: never mind, misunderstood

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

The winter Games Done Quick marathon, which raised a fuckton of money for charity, was the constant #1 in that time frame I believe

I'm not sure if that explains it since each individual game gets really small amount of time. I think the new Zelda had the largest overall audience with 4 hours and 150k-170k spectators so even that's less than million hours

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It's kind of misleading because it might be more accurate to show total hours viewed rather then number of viewers but they straddled the fence in a weird way.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Overwatch League started January 10 as well as a CS:GO thing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's that time of year again…

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

"international men's day"?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

^^poo poo, that makes more sense
What, "get rid of daylight saving time"?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

TinTower posted:

A classic.

For anyone not familiar, it's Google interest for "international men's day" that spikes every March (women's day) but only has a fraction of interest in November, the actual international men's day.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kennel posted:

I'm not sure if that explains it since each individual game gets really small amount of time. I think the new Zelda had the largest overall audience with 4 hours and 150k-170k spectators so even that's less than million hours
That's why I figured it wasn't GDQ - sure, if you aggregated, GDQ would probably be #1, but I bet it's one of these:

Llamadeus posted:

Overwatch League started January 10 as well as a CS:GO thing.
instead.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Garrand posted:

A classic.

For anyone not familiar, it's Google interest for "international men's day" that spikes every March (women's day) but only has a fraction of interest in November, the actual international men's day.

Lmfao

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm one of the Asias that's not in Asia.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I've been filling in the wrong ethnicity all these years? The next klan meeting is going to be super awkward.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Outrail posted:

I've been filling in the wrong ethnicity all these years? The next klan meeting is going to be super awkward.

if you're from one of the mislabeled continents, the klan probably wouldn't have taken you anyway

unless maybe if you were afrikaans

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The entire southern hemisphere is now Asia.

China really has been working overtime.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Mar 9, 2018

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Russia joining the EU has done a lot to soften the impact of Brexit.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah that's all good but I'm European Tunesia

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

trapped mouse posted:

if you're from one of the mislabeled continents, the klan probably wouldn't have taken you anyway

unless maybe if you were afrikaans

I've got familial ties to almost every country that's a source of or destination for 'generic white colonists' so in a way I'm the ultimate prospective klansman. Except I'm Asian now.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Sereri posted:

Yeah that's all good but I'm European Tunesia

What the...

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Fathis Munk posted:

What the...

Is that not a map of the broadcasting unions? EBU is massive and covers a weird land area?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Russia joining the EU has done a lot to soften the impact of Brexit.

Russia is often considered part of europe. Its kind of a weird case where 90% of the landmass is in asia but 90% of the people are in europe and theres differing opinions where to even draw the continental border. And then you start to get into the whole Eurasia/Oceania debate and all of that just leads to tears.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Europe is just a peninsula of Asia. :colbert:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Not the worst one I've seen, but not great either

https://twitter.com/NWSNHC/status/972165010909814785/photo/1

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
There is nothing wrong with that graph.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
It's not the most intuitive presentation ever, but it does at least communicate what it's trying to.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Irradiation posted:

There is nothing wrong with that graph.

Year is meant to be used ordinally, so it’s silly to give it a categorical color map (and a lovely not-color-blind-safe one at that), but I’d give it a 7/10. Also the trends seem to be mostly linear, so a table or bar chart with just the slope term would do a better job of conveying the rate at which the forecasting is getting better, if that’s the intent.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

TinTower posted:

It's hard to tell from that graph (dammit, Google, I'm as fond of Tufte as you but there such a thing as having too few labels), but it looks like there are sometimes three spikes per year. The big one is on IWD, one of the small ones on IMD, but what's the other one?

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Hobnob posted:

It's hard to tell from that graph (dammit, Google, I'm as fond of Tufte as you but there such a thing as having too few labels), but it looks like there are sometimes three spikes per year. The big one is on IWD, one of the small ones on IMD, but what's the other one?

Seems like it's always right around the first week of July, so maybe national fried chicken day?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

MrOzzy posted:

I'm confused. Can someone explain me the difference between 'slungruarngrodly' and 'stlaungrornodly'? I kinda feel both :(

You're just a bit stlaslurangrourgundlish, is all.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

What's "traditional American"? Also: :laffo: at Midwestern