Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Y'all are missing the real controversy: the terrible sfx sequence when Alex did ~2 months worth of slingshots in 20 minutes and then somehow negated all of that delta-v with maneuvering thrusters. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's only been a page and this thread is already :stonk:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Barreft posted:

Hi have you ever seen a TVIV thread during the off-season?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Tighclops posted:

You need pictures of the spaceships in your thread about the spaceship show

Um of course you can't see the stealth ships you silly goose

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Y'all are missing the real controversy: the terrible sfx sequence when Alex did ~2 months worth of slingshots in 20 minutes and then somehow negated all of that delta-v with maneuvering thrusters. :eng99:

Show runners have not played the requite amount of Kerbal to explain to the audience what was happening visually... so cue terrible sfx sequence.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

*fires PDCs at half the posters in this thread*

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Crazycryodude posted:

She's described as "a mix of African, Asian, and South American." And also seven feet tall. I can understand not having actors perfectly portray the book characters (especially major ones) because sometimes you can't get someone who looks just right to commit to the schedule you need, or it's physically impossible/financially prohibitive to nail the look of the character, or whatever. I'm fine with the Belters not all being 8 feet tall and built like Slenderman. I'm fine with the Indian character actually being Persian. But do you really think they couldn't get someone who looked even vaguely Nigerian to play the Nigerian character that exists for all of 5 minutes?

You hold those miserable loving racists to task for their high crime. I'm glad we've finally exposed to true rotten heart of Hollywood racism; the casting director of The Expanse. Now that we have the right thing to focus on, we can finally start to fix the underlying problem.

Good job being open minded enough to not complain about the lack of seven foot tall woman on the show, it really demonstrates that you're willing to compromise sometimes.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

So help me god I will PM spoilers to nerds who can't get past page 2 without slapfighting about the same poo poo that was in the thread before the series launched.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

What if her ancestors migrated to Nigeria? :iiam:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Barreft posted:

Oh this is nothing compared to the pseudo-intellectual derails in the Altered Carbon (but is it really you?) and Westworld (bullets? Brains are like/not like computers!) threads.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Collateral posted:

Oh this is nothing compared to the pseudo-intellectual derails in the Altered Carbon (but is it really you?) and Westworld (bullets? Brains are like/not like computers!) threads.

Westworld thread trolling is mostly about people being bad at watching shows or debating its core concepts. The AC thread is mostly down to changes from book-to-show.

This thread is just spinning while we wait another month. :circlefap:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Westworld thread trolling is mostly about people being bad at watching shows or debating its core concepts. The AC thread is mostly down to changes from book-to-show.

Spinning so hard we're getting the loving Coriolis effect. Bunch of loving inyalodas in this thread.

Also it was nice to see Praxidike in the new season of Jessica Jones. He looks...significantly more buff.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Close this thread until the show launches ffs

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Close this thread until the show launches ffs

I don't sa sa that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Westworld suffers from being a kind of stupid show that's very deep up its own rear end but has fantastic performances and amazing production value.

If only the Expanse had HBO money behind it :[

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barreft posted:

oh no people are having a mild discussion about something

somebody call the mods!!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah this was really dumb, but they acknowledged that it was dumb, and like I said earlier, one dude alone on a spaceship doing minor orbital changes over the course of several weeks doesn't make for good TV.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah this was really dumb, but they acknowledged that it was dumb, and like I said earlier, one dude alone on a spaceship doing minor orbital changes over the course of several weeks doesn't make for good TV.

It's not like we have to watch it unfold in real time. A pretty simple montage would work: cut between the different slingshot maneuvers and snippets of Alex killing time in different ways, like that zero-g beer scene. Throw in varying degrees of beard growth or other dishevelment to help sell it.

I get the desire to have fast-paced action, but I don't think that's antithetical to showing the tension of, say, knowing that more torpedoes than you can shoot down are going to catch up to you in two hours. I think that awful blend of dread and tedium could make for some good scenes, and it's not like you don't still get the frantic actiony part at the end of that sequence.

That said, even if I think it would work, I understand that they're working within a time budget and have to choose what to include.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
^efb

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, and by the time they got around to it they were crunched and had to do ~a dumb thing~ to make the production work.

BUT!

I think I said this around the time it aired, I do think there are ways to portray these things accurately and make it compelling. This specific sequence, for instance, probably should have been done as an almost montage sequence, splicing the time-lapsed sfx scenes with Alex doing things. So you fly by a moon, you can have the skyline reel to show off this is a time-lapse effect, then Alex playing solitaire, cut to another moon pass-by, Alex is stacking his beer cans in zero-g (his beard is noticeably longer), shoot by another moon, Alex's beard is unkempt, his jumpsuit dirty, catching shots of bourbon in zero-g...

They could have had little messages from the crew to line up points in the montage with previous scenes from Ganymede. Alex falling apart over time could have done a little character building: showing off why he needs the Roci crew as family and perhaps why he lost his real one. And having it take the correct amount of time wouldn't leave us all wondering where the Roci got a superluminal drive.

Completely different show, but I think The Last Kingdom does a really good job of time-lapsing montages to fit timelines together, making them feel natural and film-like rather than forced. Often in TV shows, they just move things impossibly quickly (Westerosi Express) or just smashcut through the missing time, when spending 30-40 seconds on a quick interstitial of what happened in the interim helps the audience stay more engaged.

I know it's difficult, but it isn't impossible and since they already stated that they didn't like that scene, hopefully they plan to avoid it in the future.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that would have been really good, but then you run into the problem of having to explain what the rest of the gang was doing down on Ganymede for over a month.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MowKgO0IeyU

(As in actual trailer and not teaser.)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Open Source Idiom posted:

New trailer!

:gizz:

Can't wait!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ohhh shiiiiittt

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The lack of love for Anderson Dawes and Jared Harris's phenomenal performance as him in the op is a bit disappointing.

He is a good character in the books but Harris has killed it in the show.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Have they accelerated Armageddon to this season? Ballsy move to combine it with the opening of gatespace.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Collateral posted:

Have they accelerated Armageddon to this season? Ballsy move to combine it with the opening of gatespace.

That certainly seems likely since we saw ~some~ kind of planet-shattering explosion in the trailer and it seems unlikely that it would be Miller's World.

There were also those lines about "we don't know what Naomi has done" or whatever, so maybe they are gonna roll the Marco/Filip plotline into this season to speed things up. Honestly, there's no point on the show in waiting to do all of that stuff after the Roci goes through the Slow Zone and on to new planets, it's just as easy to do all of that now while the audience still cares about Earth.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Open Source Idiom posted:

New trailer!

Fuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkk

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I can't express in words how excited I am this show is both coming back and how bummed I am I can't binge watch it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

That certainly seems likely since we saw ~some~ kind of planet-shattering explosion in the trailer and it seems unlikely that it would be Miller's World.

There were also those lines about "we don't know what Naomi has done" or whatever, so maybe they are gonna roll the Marco/Filip plotline into this season to speed things up. Honestly, there's no point on the show in waiting to do all of that stuff after the Roci goes through the Slow Zone and on to new planets, it's just as easy to do all of that now while the audience still cares about Earth.

Wait, I just realized they would ~really~ have to compress things to make this work, or else we miss the best Amos moment in the whole series: spoilered quote removed, book 5 p322 if you care...

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 11, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

stfu about the books

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oh good, the walls of redacted book spoilers have started already. :rolleyes:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Can we just make bookchat a probatable offense? Take it to TBB.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
might be a good idea. there's one little twist that we're probably going to see this season that I'm really looking forward to, wanna see the thread's reaction and it would be a shame if it were spoiled.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm just worried that Diogo is going to take up the slingshot club life as a break from being an OPA rumbler.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Can we just make bookchat a probatable offense? Take it to TBB.

Here's a better idea: don't get upset about properly tagged spoilers.

Or just read the dang books.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

Or just read the dang books.

I'm a book reader, and I heartily recommend the books to anyone enjoying the show – but I can absolutely understand wanting to experience the story as told via the TV series w/o jumping ahead into the books, plus the desire to discuss the show without having one's mouse cursor wander through a spoilery minefield.

There is a distinct thread in the other subforum for a reason. Bookmarking and following both isn't exactly difficult, especially for someone who's capable of reading entire books :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If someone accidentally mouses over a spoiler tag and stays on it long enough to actually read anything of substance, that's entirely on them. I can understand not wanting to be spoiled, but this is ridiculously hypersensitive.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Let's also not pretend that TBB thread is for the show... :crossarms:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's a reason why shows tend to have a thread for the show and another thread for the show that includes book spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Corollary: goons are notoriously bad at tagging spoilers properly.