Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm TRYING. I've sent off a ton of applications to various places, but haven't heard back from anywhere yet.

Morale is low.

Alcohol intake is rising.

Please take care of yourself. Don't use alcohol to comfort yourself, get therapy instead. Or a friend to talk to. Find a place to vent that is not random people on a comedy forum (but keep posting here anyway).

Good luck, both with finding a new job and with your kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackOfferman
Jan 31, 2015
I have learned to be more care free. No job offers yet, a few declines. I got my fastest response ever from a local company. Turned in application at 9pm, got a response at 1pm the next day turning me down. My friends looked over it and said it was written in a way to possibly get an H1-B. Either way my Director is still convinced that our computer recycle/ refurbishment program is the reason for the nation wide increase in computer prices. I tried not to laugh in front of him. I couldn't prevent it.

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm TRYING. I've sent off a ton of applications to various places, but haven't heard back from anywhere yet.

Morale is low.

Keep sending out applications. We are all rooting for you.

Try to find another way to distress than alcohol. You don't want to do anything that could risk you getting full custody of your kids. I know people recommend exercising or biking, but even just walking. Just get out and try to clear your head. For me I do better working with my hands to get my mind off things.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nesmith Formica posted:

The moment you picked the video and pressed play button, my deleterious soft immediately set up on your device

:same:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yeah that scam has been around for a few months that I know about. I assume they make a lot of money from it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

Yeah that scam has been around for a few months that I know about. I assume they make a lot of money from it.

Well they're getting Bitcoins, so I wouldn't exactly say they're 'making money'.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My dad fell for a scam a bit ago, well sort of, he got one of those pop-ups that told him he had an infection and to call whatever number, gave the guy remote access and answered some questions (SSN etc etc), but when it came time to pay the dude, he wanted $480 and my dad talked him into a senior discount to make it $380. At this point he finally decided to call one of his 2 sons that work in IT, he got hold of my brother first and he obviously squashed everything.

Honestly, he's loving 70 his SSN is probably purchasable somewhere for $2 already anyway, I thought it was hilarious that he talked the guy into a senior discount thinking he was getting a deal. Thank god he finally called one of us though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ahhh.... March Madness (NCAA Basketball Tournament) bracket time

Please flood the helpdesk with issues regarding:
  • Not getting emails from your tournament
  • Invites not sending out properly
  • Not being able to login to your tournament website
  • Some idiot told people to email hr@ourcompany.com to sign up, so our HRIS software thinks they are resumes

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bob Morales posted:

Ahhh.... March Madness (NCAA Basketball Tournament) bracket time

Please flood the helpdesk with issues regarding:
  • Not getting emails from your tournament
  • Invites not sending out properly
  • Not being able to login to your tournament website
  • Some idiot told people to email hr@ourcompany.com to sign up, so our HRIS software thinks they are resumes

Expect a lot of sudden "why don't we have enough bandwith THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION" calls.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Morale is low.

Make sure the resumes and cover letters you're sending out are good. I'm an old (36) so when I last started job searching, I wrote up what I was always told to do years ago, and wasn't getting many bites; then I spent a couple of days voraciously reading https://www.askamanager.org and re-writing the stuff I was sending out, and immediately got a few bites (literally within a week had the interview for the job I have now). I mean, post hoc ergo propter hoc and all, but her resume and cover-letter-writing advice seems very solid, and given that she works in the industry today, I'm inclined to take it as an expert over the advice of random people I know who I think of as "smart." Resume writing seems a lot like SEO, in that it's very specialized, niche knowledge that has little to do with any other sort of writing.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Speaking of writing resumes - has anyone used a resume writing service? I know the conventional wisdom is that the goon run service got sold and isn't as good now. Are there IT specific ones? Are they worth the money? A few of the places I've looked at offer cover letter and linkedin services too - at that point isn't it painfully obvious that it isn't your writing and just some agency?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
FWIW I had my resume done by the goon in question and my Linkedin profile done by a goon who was doing it at the time. Both did great work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanatosian posted:

Make sure the resumes and cover letters you're sending out are good. I'm an old (36) so when I last started job searching, I wrote up what I was always told to do years ago, and wasn't getting many bites; then I spent a couple of days voraciously reading https://www.askamanager.org and re-writing the stuff I was sending out, and immediately got a few bites (literally within a week had the interview for the job I have now).

Yea, don't be afraid to re-write and use new words especially if it's not getting you anything in the form it is now

I added a couple keywords to mine and cut out some fluff and I got about 10 messages from recruiters/employers within a week. Nothing that really appealed to me, but still.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I found this email from a user humorous:

quote:

How do I request permission to be able request purchase orders?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I found this email from a user humorous:

Reply asking them who gave them permission to use email.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Another desktop support guy got fired today. Apparently he had missed at least one day per week 7/8 of the weeks he was here. He missed 23% of the days he was supposed to be working. We’re having a really hard time finding and holding onto good employees on that team. Not sure if it’s pay or poor interviewing or what.

Bright side I get to see if a former coworker is interested. If he is, referral bonus.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

oh rly posted:

If you need to see all of your concurrent work, I recommend you create separate reports for each task type and throw the reports on a homepage. At my org, the teams handle Incidents and Requests so would use the "Incident" table and "Catalog Task" table for each report. Your org may differ if they decided not to use the OOTB ticket model for Requests.

You were 100% right on this two months ago, and thanks for pointing me in that direction. ServiceNow reporting and dashboards are amazing. Constructing complex queries is a helluva thing with dot walking.

larchesdanrew posted:

So, now I'm apparently responsible for a plan that none of the three previous TCs did any work on and that was not mentioned to me until it was the day before they're submitting it.

Seriously, gently caress this place right to death. I can't wait to get out of here.

0 day massively important deadlines are there to highlight you should stop working for that org.

It's the kind of thing your boss's supervisor should probably know your boss isn't handling.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

18 Character Limit posted:

You were 100% right on this two months ago, and thanks for pointing me in that direction. ServiceNow reporting and dashboards are amazing. Constructing complex queries is a helluva thing with dot walking.

Awesome. I'm glad I could help. You're doing amazing if you understand dotwalking and how the tables are structured. Next step is to figure out what data you're missing and have your admins define SLAs, metrics, or worst case, a new field to start collecting it.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Thought of you guys.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Booted tangs, what is this nerf poo poo

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, booting tangs is a different fetish.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Captainsalami posted:

Thought of you guys.

my domain admin password is "Daddy"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captainsalami posted:

Thought of you guys.

That's not Cat9; it's Cat5 :rolleyes:.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

cat o'five tails?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Huh, I always thought twisted pair sounded like a sex act.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Admin is a bad safe word, it eliminates half of my role play.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Fool posted:

Admin is a bad safe word, it eliminates half of my role play.

Would token ring be better?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

That's just the goatse fetish all goons have

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Booted tangs, what is this nerf poo poo

What if my fetish is resetting switches?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Well, that's just hilarious.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Captainsalami posted:

Thought of you guys.

I made a cat 5'o'9 tails like 3 months into my job. Just to bug my direct supervisor. I finally had the chance to pull it out on a conference call, with our head of corporate IT, 2 weeks ago.
Half a second of stunned silence followed by 8 people crying they were laughing so hard, and the head of IT turning beet red.

Think I figured out what book series he and his wife like....

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm really curious what situation you could've been in that called for a cat 5'o'9 tails

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Renegret posted:

I'm really curious what situation you could've been in that called for a cat 5'o'9 tails

Obviously a disciplinary/attitude adjustment meeting.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Renegret posted:

Long story short, it was something along the lines of him promising to follow-up on something/get something done/whatever, and if not, we could flog him about it. Said with a smile, meant to get a chuckle.
Then I grinned evilly and pulled out the cat 5'o'9 tails. Made my week.

My life is very sad and unexciting.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Siochain posted:

Long story short, it was something along the lines of him promising to follow-up on something/get something done/whatever, and if not, we could flog him about it. Said with a smile, meant to get a chuckle.
Then I grinned evilly and pulled out the cat 5'o'9 tails. Made my week.

My life is very sad and unexciting.

I once bought my hardware teams supervisor a squeaky hammer because he kept talking about hitting the servers with a hammer to fix them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of want to get a squeaky hammer now.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Arquinsiel posted:

Alright like, actually this. I want to walk around my datacenter pounding racks.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Alright like, actually this. I want to walk around my datacenter pounding racks.

Sounds like a euphemism.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Those big black racks could use a good pounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

:same:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Hell,