Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I wonder what GoT outfit Shangela has prepared for her crowning?

Also, Trixie killed that challenge and had the most adorable runway in herstory. Too bad about her lip sync track record...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

gandlethorpe posted:

Too bad about her lip sync track record...

I saw someone point out that between her and Katya they’ve collectively lost almost 90% of their lip syncs lol (8 out of 9)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Katya's first lipsync was killer so I'm inclined to believe she just didn't get the right songs to lipsync to. Also she should've won the Cherry Bomb lipsync

Trixie though, well, she already said she's not a great lipsyncer per se. Her Dreaming lipsync was alright though

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm just loving this season so much. So, so much. It may not have queens of the same caliber as the past two All Stars seasons, most of the girls on AS3 didn't break top 4 in their respective seasons, other than Kennedy, Chi Chi and Bebe. But that makes them thirstier to win, imho, and makes the show more interesting. This was a good episode with a good challenge, and Chris Colfer is very beautiful, I would like for him to be my wife.

My girl Morgan didn't bring it the way I wish she would have, she shot herself in the foot, there. But she went out with one of the best looks I've seen on the show in a while, she rocked the hell out of that runway. Kennedy's runway was good, but it was idk pretty cookie cutter pageant, and she did alright in the challenge, but not great. Bebe was pretty bland in the challenge, but holy gently caress that runway. Trixie was ofc incredible in the challenge, and holy gently caress that runway look. I'm very glad to see her actually giving her all now. I was worried early on that she would kind of just coast with brief moments of greatness like S7, but she turned it around in the back half and I'd be happy to see her win.

This is Shangela's show to win, though. It's her crown and I've thought that since they announced her, didn't matter how much I loved Ben or Trixie, or anybody else returning, this poo poo is Shangie Angie's unless w/e stuff happens with the other queens next week actually messes with the format, somehow. Though I could see them crowning Trixie due to how fast she got so famous, esp since she ended up doing well on the show, after all. But Shangela's been my pic from day one and I want so desperately for her to get it.

RuPaul's Drag Race and its challenges have always been kind of based on things Ru has done in her career, one might say it's the search for the next RuPaul. Alaska was an example of someone who could be the next RuPaul, in terms of building a lasting career and sort of brand on being a versatile entertainer. I think Shangela has done a lot since season three to build that for herself, as well. And even if she hadn't come into AS3 with a fully formed career, she deserves to be in the HoF for this alone let's be real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1trwnxBhU

Trixie is a good example of someone who has started to really gain some traction post-Drag Race, too, and while I can definitely see her winning I think Shangela deserves it more. Maybe it's bias because of Shangela's very unique and special relationship to the show, but w/e it's just the drat truth.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is a separate post b/c there's a lot to talk about in the thread tonight, too, I guess?? I'm a few joints deep, due to it being Drag Race night and all, so bear with me.

This

CaptainScraps posted:

Lol at you telling someone they can't do something because of how they were born.
was not at all the right way to say it-- in fact it's practically bait-- but I kind of agree.

As a cis gay woman I think it's unfair to say cis straight men can't do drag, like, period. I would think it's equally ridiculous to say a cis straight woman can't be a drag king. I think they need to be respectful and passionate about it, and they need to understand that yes, most of the venues they may try to pursue that dream will be places they may feel unwelcome at first, or not be welcome to enter at all, but I don't think it's at all wrong for them to participate.

There's nothing that says being able to celebrate or to make a mockery of the notions of what either gender should be is something that only gay people can do or have any insight into. The pressures that society put on boys and girls to be or act a certain way are put down on all of us, regardless of who we are or who we want to gently caress, we just experience it differently and react to it differently because we've walked different paths through life. Some more fortunately than others. I think it's worth seeing all of those different perspectives on the notions of drag and of gender, what it really means to be a man or a woman or anything in between and beyond.

Everyone in this thread is great, and I love that we have so many different types of people here discussing and loving Drag Race and that's kind of the beauty of this show, isn't it? It may be by, for, and about queer people, but you don't have to be queer to relate to or enjoy it. We should be celebrating people who want to genuinely celebrate us, not turning them away at the door.

That said, I can understand being defensive. I had it pretty easy growing up gay, compared to so many people who went through so much worse than I could even imagine. I spent the first twenty-three years of my life in a conservative and relatively religious Northern town of about 4000 people, and I went through my fair share of poo poo when I came out and after due to people who will never loving get it, but it was still a town in British Columbia, aka the California of Canada.

It's not as bad here as it is in the States, or hell even other parts of Canada. I'm 29 this month, and if I were a bit older, or if I had grown up somewhere else, I may well be one of the people slamming the door, too. But I didn't. Instead, I grew up in idk, a relatively chill-for-gay-people place (as few of us as there were) where I had a clear picture of not only the different kinds heinous poo poo we have to put up with as queer people, women or men, cis or trans, but I've also got a really clear picture of beautiful, lifelong friendships and special understanding between straight and queer people, and both living there and where I live now in Vancouver I've met so many straight people who are amazing and love our culture as much as we do. And I've seen a lot of those straight people go through a hell of a lot of the same bullshit discriminations and abuses we go through despite being part of the majority sexuality, or whatever, just because they want to express themselves differently from that norm.

tbh I'm kind of rambling now, y'all probably get the point, that I didn't grow up needing to be on the defensive as much, I just see it differently, and understand that some of you may see it the other way, and that your way is just as valid.

tl;dr I smoked a lot of weed and have a lotta feelings. let's all get high and love and respect eachother!!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

we're all born nakies and the rest is dragg

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This comment is one of my favorites, the other being (I think this was Untucked) Bianca Del Rio’s “Girl, if I wanted to come for you I'd come to your room at night and cut your loving wigs up."

Not a quote, but anytime on Untucked when Latrice Royal just watched other queens argue and throw shade and stared or perhaps interjected laughter, either way communicating that these bitches were going on about the most ridiculous poo poo and she was Done.

"Not today, Satan" gets tossed around a bunch in my house.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I thought Shangela’s fat suit routine was a bit offensive, and just not great timing after Ru’s transgender comments.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah between the awkward challenge and the lipsync this episode kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. A lackluster penultimate episode.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
I love Trixie and I want her to win, but Shangela has it in the bag assuming there is no tomfoolery next week.

'Why is Kennedy still here?' Is the question I keep asking myself.

Edit: Also this vvv

twistedbutterfly fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 9, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

twistedbutterfly posted:

'Why is Bebe still here?' Is the question I keep asking myself.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I think Kennedy would have been gone if it weren’t for DeLa walking out

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

cis autodrag posted:

Maybe if you want queer people to trust and respect you as a cis het man, stop acting like you're loving entitled to everyone else's poo poo and wait for an invitation. It's not your culture and boohoo for you that there's one place in the world that you can't just barge in dick swinging. You are the exact reason straight cis men don't belong in drag.

I actually thought about this for a long time and had some mad thoughts.

I'm 100% behind the idea that society should be accepting of people of all races and genders and orientations and that we need to work hard to fix a lot of things.

I'm not a big enough person to say "I'll fight for things to be equal but you can do these things without me." I can understand the rationale behind it but I can't support it.

Everyone should be able to say that society is bullshit and attack societal norms and expectations, even if you're the privileged majority. People should be taken on an individual basis.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Just dropping a pin, for the sake of discussion, that there can be a difference between doing genderfuck performance and Being A Drag Queen (or king). Eddie Izzard does genderfuck sometimes, Annie Lennox has, David Bowie did, any number of straight female actors have played Hamlet and poo poo, but none of them are drag performers, which implies participation in a scene and culture which has historically belonged to queer and gender nonconforming folks.

I'm cis and straight and I've done genderfuck performance and probably will again, but not in the context of a drag scene. If you want to do this kind of thing there's a ton of venues that aren't safe havens for marginalized people who badly need them. (And if you're really, really dope, who knows, you might get invited to participate in a showcase or something.)

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

If I was gay I would still be too scared to do drag because what if Junior Labeija jumped out with a microphone from behind somewhere and started screaming at me about my buttons

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

After sleeping on it, I’m really bothered by Shangela’s lip sync. The gay community is already lovely enough with fat phobia, and the fact that she went for the cheapest laughs possible is really disappointing.
The suit didn’t even look good! Her winning over Trixie’s far more skilled performance put a really bad taste in my mouth, and hurt so many of my friends.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah this show loves the cheapest of laughs - in case we couldn’t tell that from this week’s performance challenge. When I saw Shangela had a fat suit I knew it was all over.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

the saltiest crab posted:

After sleeping on it, I’m really bothered by Shangela’s lip sync. The gay community is already lovely enough with fat phobia, and the fact that she went for the cheapest laughs possible is really disappointing.
The suit didn’t even look good! Her winning over Trixie’s far more skilled performance put a really bad taste in my mouth, and hurt so many of my friends.

I *GET* why she won the lip sync, but I really wasn't happy that she did.

As soon as she got up on stage I went "OH LOOK Shangie's wearing a giant frumpy oversized frock I wonder what kind of reveal gimmick she has under th- AAAND it's a fatsuit."
For what it's worth she really worked with the fat suit, like her dancing and stage presence was there, but I struggle to see the same laughs coming from say, Darienne Lake performing that exact same lip sync.
I kind of want to see Shangela really nail a lip sync without a gimmick.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 9, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought Trixie gave a considerably better performance, and Shangela mostly won because she had a gimmick and rode it hard. At this point I feel like the crown fairly obviously is going to one of those two, and while they're both good I'm not sure either of them are on the same tier as the other two All Stars winners. While the show is obviously still fun and all that, I have to say this is my least favorite season of All Stars by a mile, and one of my least favorite seasons of Drag Race ever.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the saltiest crab posted:

I agree with you.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I thought Shangela's lipsynch was well-executed, but in poor taste.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Having been told by dozens of faceless six-pack torsos on Grindr to kill myself because my body type veers depressingly close to Shangela's fat suit, it still wasn't offensive as Ben giving Morgan her seat over Aja. That poo poo played out exactly as I expected it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It was nice of Ru to do a Vivacious themed runway.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

It was nice of Ru to do a Vivacious themed runway.

She was looking... not so great that ep.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Morgan's Hissy That Walk was the hardest I laughed this whole season. Ross Matthews, I am disappointed in you.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Yeah, my worst Grindr and Scruff encounters for being a little thick were mocked pretty hardcore by Shangela's performance, and I've enjoyed every other lip sync performance she's given this season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Yeah, my worst Grindr and Scruff encounters for being a little thick were mocked pretty hardcore by Shangela's performance, and I've enjoyed every other lip sync performance she's given this season.

It's so disappointing, especially after Kim Chi really put herself out there to talk about this problem.

I'm in a long term relationship so I don't have the dating app horror stories, but as a trans woman I've definitely had people, especially other trans women, clock me on my diet and weight. There's a lot of people in the trans community that seem to think you can never be femme enough if you're not rail thin. It's a really gross internalization of beauty standards from the wider American society.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Actually, here's my ten thousand word thunkpiece about how Shangela is a pioneer for reaching out to gamers with her fierce Goron look.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm not a big enough person to say "I'll fight for things to be equal but you can do these things without me." I can understand the rationale behind it but I can't support it.

as a person who has, over the years, turned in to gay Magneto, I can say that this means you're not an ally and will be purged in The Bending.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I didn't realize quite how big a deal weight was on Grindr and the like. I'm sorry if I came off as crass earlier.

I'm not going to bend over backwards defending Shangela's lipsync...choices..., but keep in mind this is the show where finalists used to be treated to extravagant lunches with Ru consisting of a loving Tic Tac.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
It's in those situations that I'm thankful Trixie taught the world that orange Tic-Tacs will NOT improve your breath, but maybe we can share a Lunchables nachos instead.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

esperterra posted:

tbh I'm kind of rambling now, y'all probably get the point, that I didn't grow up needing to be on the defensive as much, I just see it differently, and understand that some of you may see it the other way, and that your way is just as valid.

tl;dr I smoked a lot of weed and have a lotta feelings. let's all get high and love and respect eachother!!

lol I was also like four bowls deep after last night so apologies for making shady posts that don't contribute much, but I agree that I mostly took issue w/ the way that guy phrased his post. those things are not equivocal at all.
looking back on it with a clear head I guess I would be okay with a fully respectful cishet drag performer, my issue is this: if someone tells you that you're not welcome in a place because of that, you need to just deal with it. going off on a rant about how it's "discrimination" when you're not allowed into queer spaces is a ridiculous level of entitlement and immediately lets me know you're not the sort of het I want to be around in the club. good god get a grip girl

also yeah you're gonna get ten different answers from ten different gays. we can't all speak for each other, and I'm sure my rougher upbringing re: being gay probably had a factor in it, just like you said. a straight person telling me not being allowed in one bar is the same as the discrimination I've seen - corrective sexual assault, physical assault and being denied jobs for being a dyke in a rough part of the U.K. - I'm not gonna listen to you for a second longer, sorry.

thanks for summarizing the fact that we're not all going to have the same experience so much more coherently, hahaha

ANYWAY to actually loving talk about drag race: anyone else feel like last nights ep was weirdly rushed? the pacing was so off, I'm having trouble even remembering half of it other than Kennedy saying "me-me" :3:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, they blew through the runway this week. What determines the length each week?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, they blew through the runway this week. What determines the length each week?

Probably just a lack of interesting material this week. Why stretch it out if nothing fun happens?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
After seeing the Season 10 preview, I'm definitely way more excited for it than the end of AS3, as much as I love Trixie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm just amazed anyone thought Trixie's lipsync was better. Trixie surprised me with the body suit and surprisingly sexy number for what I've seen from her before, and it was good, but Shangela loving owned it, whether the fatsuit was an issue for some viewers or not imho. The expressions, the moves, everything. I think she could have sold it without the suit and it would have worked just as well if she had only revealed another outfit under that mumu or w/e she had on.

Also I think someone said they were sick of the props earlier in the thread, and I can agree with props coming out a lot on a normal season not being a good thing, but I think on All Stars it's fine if the girls have to or want to do something a little extra. Especially since they're the only queens who get to change into whatever outfit they want before a lip sync.

Though there is something to be said for keeping a prop hidden in your runway outfit on the off chance you need to lip sync for your life that night.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

Probably just a lack of interesting material this week. Why stretch it out if nothing fun happens?

if anything, the runway is what needs to be stretched out! I'm not thrilled with how much focus is put into acting challenges, especially since they seem to be set up just to show the girls loving up just enough to get a "rucocococococo" sound effect going.

DIMINISHING RETURNS, PRODUCERS. gotta keep that for when there is straight-up actual goddamn shade!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still say episodes feeling oddly rushed the past couple years has a lot to do with there being barely any Ru in the werkroom time any more. Like he rarely ever comes around to each table to ask them what they've prepared for whichever challenge these days, and it's sad. Some of the best werkroom moments of the earlier seasons are Ru interacting with the girls.

I also miss when he'd be there with Michelle or whichever guest judge to direct the acting stuff.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I’m really not feeling this All-Stars finale. Alaska, Katya and Detox just seem so leagues above this crew. Trixie and Shangela have been the predictable frontrunners since the beginning but neither have really had a breakout moment. We really only saw the Trixie Mattel in the latest episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

As a fat woman, I actually enjoyed Shangela's lip sync because if she could get a fat suit to twerk there's hope for me yet. :unsmith:

But yeah I can't believe Bebe is in the top four and I say that as not exactly a fan of Morgan.

• Locked thread