Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Gum posted:

Those are some super vague descriptions

E:Who's the wacky office moron if Boyle is taken?

E2: none of those match amy or terry so I'm guessing one of them?

Wacky Office Moron is shared by Boyle and Jake. Terry is Competent But Eccentric 2nd Boss.

It actually just occurred to me that my earlier post on this is slightly wrong, because Amy is "Love interest who works there and is good at their job", which also makes her part Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

SpacePig posted:

Wacky Office Moron is shared by Boyle and Jake. Terry is Competent But Eccentric 2nd Boss.

It actually just occurred to me that my earlier post on this is slightly wrong, because Amy is "Love interest who works there and is good at their job", which also makes her part Ben.

At this point we're several miles from parks and rec

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

B99 is not P&R, the same way P&R is not the Office.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I stopped watching B99 like halfway through season 3. I just totally stopped caring about any of the characters. Well, outside of Holt. Holt was still funny and entertaining.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wheat Loaf posted:

The worst Simpsons guest appearance I can think of was Ronaldo.

Oh my god, it’s British prime minister Tony Blair!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did anyone watch the new David Brent movie thing? Is it worth me checking out or is it as boring as his other post Extras shows?

It’s OK if you really like the character. I feel like David Brent was funnier when he had the other Office characters to balance him out. It’s a pretty funny observation on middle aged wannabe musician types.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

SEX BURRITO posted:

I was gonna say this one for sure aged poorly, but I think it was actually after his heel turn to crusader catholic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SEX BURRITO posted:

That one was worth it because Homer's line when he leaves is, "Wow! I can't believe we met Mr Bean!"

Not Operator posted:

I was gonna say this one for sure aged poorly, but I think it was actually after his heel turn to crusader catholic.

Come now, Tony Blair was widely loathed long before he became a Catholic.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Whew. Can't believe comedy has a tendency to rely upon broad archetypes that the audience would recognize and relate to from their personal life and other media. Who do these hacks think they are?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Solice Kirsk posted:

I stopped watching B99 like halfway through season 3. I just totally stopped caring about any of the characters. Well, outside of Holt. Holt was still funny and entertaining.

No. No! Bad!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gum posted:

Those are some super vague descriptions

E:Who's the wacky office moron if Boyle is taken?

E2: none of those match amy or terry so I'm guessing one of them?

I think I was somehow matching up Andy and Aziz Ansari. Or using Gina twice (a horrifying thought).

Koalas March posted:

B99 is not P&R, the same way P&R is not the Office.

Exactly. The same way the US Office is not the UK Office.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

burial posted:

But where is my bug bomb? :(

Bug bomb... lost head! :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh my god how could I forget that Parks & Rec also has Tom, who is by far the worst most unlikable most unpleasant character, far beyond April and Andy, his only saving grace being that he connects us to Jean Ralphio

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Samuringa posted:

Michael Jackson playing Michael Jackson was the best Simpsons guest star :colbert:

Are you referring to his role as Leon Kompowsky?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

Oh my god how could I forget that Parks & Rec also has Tom, who is by far the worst most unlikable most unpleasant character, far beyond April and Andy, his only saving grace being that he connects us to Jean Ralphio

Amen. Pretty much 90 percent of his screen time was him doing or saying the most selfish or douchey things on the show.

(The remaining 10 percent was when the other characters were talking.)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Calaveron posted:

Tom is loving unbearable. He's like a transplant from a shittier tier of sitcom. Every other character grows and changes into a better adult, but Tom is the same black hole of selfishness from scene 1 to wrap. Every single Tom episode repeats the same rehearsed arcs again and again, and it seemed like the show expected us to see his doucheyness as charming eccentricity.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Amen. Pretty much 90 percent of his screen time was him doing or saying the most selfish or douchey things on the show.

(The remaining 10 percent was when the other characters were talking.)

That's the character. He never grows, if anything, he get's more selfish. That's the joke. Jean-Ralphio and Mona Lisa are there to show you how Tom is even worse than them at heart. You're not supposed to like him. He's a tiny, cute, sad idiot.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Can't believe people are making GBS threads on Tom, April, and Andy when there's that season towards the end where that guy who yells every time he speaks joins the Parks and Rec crew. Don't even remember his name. He yelled so much that they actively toned down his yelling later on.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Uh, that was Craig and he was awesome.

Also lol, say what you will about Tom but not liking 90s R&B is a huge deal to me. If you can't vibe, I can't fucks with you.

And I am saying this as someone who will jam to anything including bluegrass and country.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ginuwine? Ginuwine is Ginuwine. Ginuwine!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Tiggum posted:

Bug bomb... lost head! :(

I really like that you said that.

gently caress, is Lexx still streaming anywhere? I know it used to be on Hulu, but I don’t think it is anymore.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mostlygray posted:

That's the character. He never grows, if anything, he get's more selfish. That's the joke. Jean-Ralphio and Mona Lisa are there to show you how Tom is even worse than them at heart. You're not supposed to like him. He's a tiny, cute, sad idiot.
Tom, Jean-Ralpho and Mona Lisa were the worst parts of the show and any scene with several of them in it was a good reason to start looking at my phone.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
anyhow, b99 is actually newsradio, come on.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Thranguy posted:

anyhow, b99 is actually newsradio, come on.

Actually, if you trace the characterizations back enough, they all spring from My Mother the Car. The fight is who gets to be Jerry Van Dyke.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was watching the video for 1,2, Step by Ciara and Missy Elliot because I'm on an 2000s song/video kick and the "hot guy" in the video s[rays a shitload of Axe on himself. Also holy poo poo, Dip It Low by Christina Milian and My Love Is Like...Wo by Mya are about 15 years old now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mostlygray posted:

Yeah, and I don’t mind that kind of stuff on the side characters like Jean Ralphio or Mona Lisa, but when you stack him up against any of the arcs for the main cast that makes him fall completely flat. Also he’s just painfully obnoxious to watch. gently caress everything about the way he talks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The difference is that Jean Ralphio and Mona Lisa are used very sparingly and work great as punctuation. They'd be just as obnoxious as main characters, and it doesn't really help that the recent allegations about Aziz (I don't intend to turn this into a derail, but I'll apologize in advance) have sort of made the Tom character more uncomfortable in his sketchiness.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tom is hilarious which is the most important aspect of a character in a comedy show

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Gaunab posted:

I was watching the video for 1,2, Step by Ciara and Missy Elliot because I'm on an 2000s song/video kick and the "hot guy" in the video s[rays a shitload of Axe on himself. Also holy poo poo, Dip It Low by Christina Milian and My Love Is Like...Wo by Mya are about 15 years old now.

Yeah but the axe spraying is played as a joke, mocking rhe type of person who thinks its the secret to attracting the ladies

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Holy poo poo do I feel old. Also great taste in music!

Brother Entropy posted:

tom is hilarious which is the most important aspect of a character in a comedy show

Yeah, I like Tom. He is also one of the few people April praises non-ironically so I wonder if some people are too focused on his vapid materialism to notice his character development.

I mean Donna is superior in every way but it is what it is.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

mostlygray posted:

The problem with this is that we are never expected to sympathize with JR or ML, but Tom is pretty frequently supposed to be felt for. His business failed, and we're supposed to feel bad. His other business got buffaloed out by Henry Winkler, and we're supposed to mad at Henry Winkler. His cool girlfriend that's t way too good for him leaves, and we're supposed to feel some sort of tug at the heart strings. He gets a lot of slack from characters that shouldn't be giving it to him pretty consistently, and still manages to fail every time, and we're asked to feel bad because Leslie or Ron believe in him.

Tom sucked, and while far from the worst thing about the show on the whole, I think he was the worst of the primary cast.

Brother Entropy posted:

Tom is only funny if he's dealing directly with Donna, JR is around, or people are dunking on him. Pilo Filo is still one of my favorite dumb bits from that show.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tom brought us dj roomba

Donna is the sleeper agent that's secretly the star of a much more interesting show though

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Tom is hilarious and I love most of his scenes. I wouldn't want to know the real-life version of him, though.

I also really like April. She starts out as this sarcastic edgelord teen who slowly matures into a better person--however she just can't let go of that "edgy" persona and keeps it up in a kind of self-mocking way in later seasons. And of course she hated Ann--she felt threatened Ann's previous relationship with Andy--but this is something she also slowly overcame by the end of the show.

I love most things about the show, but Jerry drives me nuts. Sometimes he's portrayed as a bumbling idiot and sometimes as a creative and talented genius. So is he misunderstood by everyone or not? Why does he do that pisses people off so much? Leslie seems to actively loathe Jerry.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I have known a few real-life versions of Tom and that, shamefully, put me off watching the show for about half a season. He grew on me a bit but I have no emotional attachment to any of his arcs.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Tom brought us dj roomba

Donna is the sleeper agent that's secretly the star of a much more interesting show though

I'm watching Good Girls, and she is the best part of that show too.

Retta needs to be in more things.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

SpacePig posted:

His other business got buffaloed out by Henry Winkler, and we're supposed to mad at Henry Winkler.

I'll give you the rest of the post, but why wouldn't we be mad at the Fonz here? Tom had a legitimately good idea that he turned into a successful business, and then a rich white dude steals the idea and ruins him. And he does it because his kids are mad that Tom dumped them because they were dragging him down.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

artsy fartsy posted:

I love most things about the show, but Jerry drives me nuts. Sometimes he's portrayed as a bumbling idiot and sometimes as a creative and talented genius. So is he misunderstood by everyone or not? Why does he do that pisses people off so much? Leslie seems to actively loathe Jerry.

Don't you mean Terry?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Tom getting thrown through a bookcase is one of the greatest pieces of physical comedy I’ve ever seen. Also Entertaiment 720 rules.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Clam Chowdown posted:

I'll give you the rest of the post, but why wouldn't we be mad at the Fonz here? Tom had a legitimately good idea that he turned into a successful business, and then a rich white dude steals the idea and ruins him. And he does it because his kids are mad that Tom dumped them because they were dragging him down.

Yeah, I guess that's fair. I kinda forgot that none of its undoing was Tom's fault outside of not selling the place right out of the gate, and the whole ordeal was really Henry Winkler's fault. I'll retract that one.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

artsy fartsy posted:

That's the joke. He's constantly treated like poo poo but has a wonderful family and personal life, while packing some serious heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Aaah finally the recaps of The Office have stopped...
:knope: