Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I think it might serve as a prescient warning that despite the fact that it is factually inaccurate in both cases, the two players who made a point of going off alone but said so in public and were suspected of wrongdoing as a result both hyperbolize their (awful) game exits as "out on the first day".

Both were assassinated by another player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Nah I went into a book

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

peramene posted:

anticipate....

Look someone has to take the job

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy the revisionist history where they weren't all "don't follow me I don't want to talk to anyone" and then surprise, they didn't have allies.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
turned out to be true didn't it

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
tbf I realized my mistake but was then in a book. I am not opening a single book in this game

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
My friends, my friends, did someone say anime?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

tbf I realized my mistake but was then in a book. I am not opening a single book in this game

You got out!
and then immediately murdered

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I read the thing AND did the other thing, too.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

My friends, my friends, did someone say anime?

Me I'm a magical waifu this game instead of some loser who goes off on their own

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
REQUEST: please give me two pairs of loose clothing so I can quickly swap between them

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

REQUEST: please give me two pairs of loser clothing so I can quickly swap between them

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

*gives Kashuno two Tobbs costumes*

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

:drat:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Me I'm a magical waifu this game instead of some loser who goes off on their own

I'm less about waifus and more about existential despair in my anime.

Thank goodness for Franxx for providing both.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

I said loser costumes not creeper costumes. There's a subtle difference.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Meinberg posted:

I'm less about waifus and more about existential despair in my anime.

Thank goodness for Franxx for providing both.

It's the best Trigger anime since Kiznaivers. :getin:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kashuno posted:

Wait, can we form a magical girl squad?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

:wow: MMT killing people for the game even starts

Natural 20 posted:

Wait, can we form a magical girl squad?

The first person to betray a magical girl alliance in game is forever on my most hated list

Max
Nov 30, 2002

peramene posted:

I think it might serve as a prescient warning that despite the fact that it is factually inaccurate in both cases, the two players who made a point of going off alone but said so in public and were suspected of wrongdoing as a result both hyperbolize their (awful) game exits as "out on the first day".

Both were assassinated by another player.

Yeah I just kind of went off alone privately and somehow lived through it.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

The anime thing is super overplayed and unfunny.

It's funny when it happens once in a while, but we just did like 3 anime themed Mafia's, and have had anime themed jokes everywhere.

I like anime and all, but having a cool flavorful role-playing game just get infected by stupid anime jokes really ruins it for me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

50 pounds of bread posted:

It's funny when it happens once in a while, but we just did like 3 anime themed Mafia's, and have had anime themed jokes everywhere.

I like anime and all, but having a cool flavorful role-playing game just get infected by stupid anime jokes really ruins it for me.

I understand you not wanting it but your only options here are to kill the players that are doing it or don't play.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I'm speaking for myself here and not with my Mod Hat on - peramene has put a TON of time and effort into prepping for this game (flavor included), and will put a ton more into the actual running of the game. If you come in with a plan to just shitpost and gently caress around with blatant off-flavor stuff, you're doing her and the other players a disservice. I don't recommend going down that route!

edit: yeah you'll also probably get killed if you do that

edit2: that being said, the character who licked everything as his one defining character trait ended up being a minor audience favorite by the end so :shrug:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Also fun note: Players that early on just did stuff for the heck of it, like killing people or stealing things blatantly and in the open were quickly ostracized and then killed. So think about that I guess.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
imo you can roleplay as anything as long as it fits your character. Having an energetic battle girl is a good character flavor to play.

Besides last time I played right into my flavor, ended up alone, and was basically hosed. It's still a game

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm thinking specifically of a few players that were annoyed, after having openly just murked someone with zero provocation, that everyone else wanted nothing to do with them and openly complained about it and or were murdered in response to their own murders that they committed.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is goin to be a long month leadup. I'm excited to change my style from pure D&D roleplay to half RP half game

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Don't worry, my anime references will be incredibly subtle and will play your mind when I reveal that my character's entire arc was reflective of Gatsu no Lion.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The game already is kind of anime. We have two returning genius inventor sisters, a merc with a fetish for bones, a serial killer, and asiina as characters.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
nvm

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Podima posted:

I'm speaking for myself here and not with my Mod Hat on - peramene has put a TON of time and effort into prepping for this game (flavor included), and will put a ton more into the actual running of the game. If you come in with a plan to just shitpost and gently caress around with blatant off-flavor stuff, you're doing her and the other players a disservice. I don't recommend going down that route!

edit: yeah you'll also probably get killed if you do that

edit2: that being said, the character who licked everything as his one defining character trait ended up being a minor audience favorite by the end so :shrug:

I take my roleplaying seriously, thank you very much Pod :colbert:

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

As long as it's not over the top it's whatever, but if it pulls away from the flavor of the game it's not chill.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Max posted:

The game already is kind of anime. We have two returning genius inventor sisters, a merc with a fetish for bones, a serial killer, and asiina as characters.

I mean Gehn killed a lot of people indirectly but I wouldn't call him a serial killer!!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Kashuno posted:

:wow: MMT killing people for the game even starts

Just to be clear, I love everyone :peanut:

Podima posted:

...even Podima. :sadpeanut:

One of my favorite aspects of Myst (borrowed from other FRGs) that I'm pretty sure will be back in Riven was the encouragement to write out confessionals to document what we/our characters were thinking throughout the game. This process helped get me immersed in the game, and it made the post-game process like a million times funner because I got to see what other people were doing/thinking outside of my own sphere of knowledge. Reading the confessionals for me, even a year later, is like reading a good fiction book, except that I was in it.

For those who were in FS/N mafia:

quote:

me (re: Pod) -

I didn't even realize half the stuff I was feeling, but it all started pouring out. I'm concerned about the idea that we know there's a Wincon out there associated with making sure 2/3rds of the game dies, and how the way we're acting as a group makes me feel like we're being manipulated. Or, as they used to say back in the day, we're "being led around by scum". I mean, if you count all of the people that the group has deemed "evil" at some point (Rarity, Viva, DBD, AR, ANarc, Kash, bags) that have been killed, it feels to me like we should have had a solid team by now. I mean, right?

---

Pod (re: me) -

- If she tells me her plan and it's reasonable - I will probably Wound her.
- If she doesn't tell me her plan - she dies.
- If she tells me her plan and I feel she might be trying to hoodwink me - she dies.
- If I feel even the slightest bit paranoid that she could pull something ridiculous off - unfortunately (sorry Shelly) she has to die.

I can't tell people how to live their lives, but I can say that this game will probably be a ton funner if you let yourself get sucked in.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Well, filled out my form and *then* read the rules. Looking forward to blindly stumbling my way through all of this.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Anime isn't a joke to me

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I sure hope you like metal gear.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Birdstrike posted:

Metal Gear?!?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SalTheBard posted:

Metal Gear?!?

gear heart tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Birdstrike posted:

Are you going to roleplay someone poking things through a chain link fence?