Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
wireless clients are more than likely your problem. You can play with the client side buffering to get it to not stutter, but that is depending on what wireless you are using, 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz. 2.4 will not keep up without proper buffering on the client side as where 5Ghz can if you are close enough to pick up the 5Ghz signal. VC-1 is high bitrate which requires high bandwidth so wireless is not that great of an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At the same time, with Plex I can serve UHD remuxed files where my server is on WiFi (N band) and the client is wired to the router without any issue. These files can hit 25+ gb an hour. Straight direct play. It’s not ideal, but it can work.

In this example my server is a Mac mini, and the client is Xplay (3rd party Plex client) on an LG TV.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
right with the right wireless bandwidth it can be done, N and AC can handle it.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's time to troubleshoot your network, or replace your wireless access point (Ubiquiti Unifi gear is cheap, good, and easy). Try plugging an ethernet cable directly into your router and laptop/PC/whatever, and test. If everything is fine, replace WiFi. Also, please try going to the Plex IP directly, e.g., https://192.168.2.6:32400 just to ensure you're staying on the local network and not getting routed out and back to the internet.

If that seems to have nothing to do with it, you might just be running up against the limits of your CPU. That Celeron has a PassMark score of 1200. Plex recommends 2000 for a single 1080p on-the-fly transcode. The solution in that case is to run Plex on a different, faster machine while pointing Plex at a shared folder for its media on the Synology.

You can definitely transcode to h.264 with that script, but don't. A) It will take hours per item (transcoding is very, very CPU intensive, see my previous point) and B) It will make things look slightly shittier, as you're going from already lossy compressed to lossy compressed a second time. Think photocopy of a photocopy.

insularis fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 9, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

insularis posted:

Yeah, it's time to troubleshoot your network, or replace your wireless access point (Ubiquiti Unifi gear is cheap, good, and easy). Try plugging an ethernet cable directly into your router and laptop/PC/whatever, and test. If everything is fine, replace WiFi. Also, please try going to the Plex IP directly, e.g., https://192.168.2.6:32400 just to ensure you're staying on the local network and not getting routed out and back to the internet.

If that seems to have nothing to do with it, you might just be running up against the limits of your CPU. That Celeron has a PassMark score of 1200. Plex recommends 2000 for a single 1080p on-the-fly transcode. The solution in that case is to run Plex on a different, faster machine while pointing Plex at a shared folder for its media on the Synology.

You can definitely transcode to h.264 with that script, but don't. A) It will take hours per item (transcoding is very, very CPU intensive, see my previous point) and B) It will make things look slightly shittier, as you're going from already lossy compressed to lossy compressed a second time. Think photocopy of a photocopy.

Ok, i will follow all of this advice. Thank you again and thank you to the other posters helping me too!

Edit: quick wireless question, the rep at my ISP said that the speeds of my local wireless connection in between machines (such as between the NAS and my computers/cellphone) was limited by the actual download speed my ISP gives me, is that true? Cause i feel like i see speeds between computers go much faster sometimes than my actual download limit.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 9, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dongattack posted:

Ok, i will follow all of this advice. Thank you again and thank you to the other posters helping me too!

Edit: quick wireless question, the rep at my ISP said that the speeds of my local wireless connection in between machines (such as between the NAS and my computers/cellphone) was limited by the actual download speed my ISP gives me, is that true? Cause i feel like i see speeds between computers go much faster sometimes than my actual download limit.

You and the rep probably miscommunicated. Your local network controls your local speeds; it has nothing to do with your ISP download speed.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dongattack posted:

The rep at your ISP is a loving moron

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thank you thank you.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
edit: wrong thread, sorry!

MrCodeDude fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 29, 2018

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone figured out a way to use lists in Radarr to download bunches of older movies by category? Say I wanted to get 100 action movies that were most popular in the 1990s....is this possible?

I figured out how to use Trakt lists to get recent films, but can't figure out a configuration that gets older movies.

Also finally setup NZBHydra and it was totally worth it just for the indexer stats :D

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MrCodeDude posted:

Is there a known problem with Kodi not properly updating the "Recently added episodes?"

I have three nVidia Shields, all running Kodi 17.6 (from the Play Store), a QNAP TS-412, and a QNAP TS-453B. The 412 has older content on it, the 453 monitors the new/current content.

Have both Watchdog and Library Auto Update installed and have all three Shields as connections in Sonarr.

All three boxes are showing the same set of "Recently added episodes" (either through the home-screen widget or going Videos/TV Shows/Recently added episodes), except the episodes are all 1+ week old, with newer episodes already imported into the library.

No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get the "Recently added episodes" to update, which is my primary way of watching new content.

Am I missing something? Is there a better way to handle newly added content?

I never had this problem with my older Amazon FireTVs (running an early build of Kodi v16).

You probably meant to post this in the Kodi thread?

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

You probably meant to post this in the Kodi thread?

Too many tabs. Fixed, sorry!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

tonic posted:

Has anyone figured out a way to use lists in Radarr to download bunches of older movies by category? Say I wanted to get 100 action movies that were most popular in the 1990s....is this possible?

I figured out how to use Trakt lists to get recent films, but can't figure out a configuration that gets older movies.

Also finally setup NZBHydra and it was totally worth it just for the indexer stats :D

I have Radarr signed up for some IMDb lists like “Every Marvel movie” “AFI Top 100 movies” etc... Just find one for top 100 action movies of the 1990s or something.

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?
Just a heads up... Got an email that Usenet.farm has an April fools sale going on. If anyone is looking to buy a block...

usenet.farm posted:

April Fools' Day - It’s no joke! 25% discount with coupon: nojokehaha

Discount is only valid for every payment made while this coupon is active (from March 30th until the April 3rd). 

Happy April Fools' Day and thank you for your support with us!

The Usenet.Farm team!
https://usenet.farm

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

CPS hasn’t updated from git in forever. What is the current version everyone is running?

I’m apparently on
Version
89fd4e11 (1/24/2016, 1:42:44 AM)
Updater
git, master
ID
877 (691)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sellouts posted:

CPS hasn’t updated from git in forever. What is the current version everyone is running?

I’m apparently on
Version
89fd4e11 (1/24/2016, 1:42:44 AM)
Updater
git, master
ID
877 (691)

That's almost two years out of date, the latest commit to git master was in December 2017. Something is wrong with the updater on your system, might have to do it manually.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
I occasionally have a weird error I haven’t been able to track down. Some shows will start to play fine, but then pause suddenly. I can skip past the bad part of the file but sometimes it’s a 10 minute hole, sometimes 10 seconds.

I’m using Sonarr / Sabnzbd.

Is this something wrong with my setup? Anyone seen this before? I figured if a file was corrupt Sabnzbd would mark it as failed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gut instinct is a HDD or RAM issue.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Whenever I have had that happen, it's usually the file itself. A lovely release, that is fixed by a proper release shortly after.
Checking with something like MPC-HD or another player that can handle all kinds of files without external codecs confirms it.

If it happens randomly on the same file, then yeah it might be an issue with your storage or the player.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

Two downloads failed last night so I looked closer in SAB. Both seem to have downloaded properly, but when I click for details they both say "No par2 sets" in the repair section and had missing articles. What's odd to me is shouldn't the extracting of the file fail if it's corrupt?

One thing I've been thinking is that my connection is very fast here, so maybe I should delay before downloading? I've tried adding a 10 minute delay in Sonarr to see.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Evil Trout posted:

What's odd to me is shouldn't the extracting of the file fail if it's corrupt?

Modern clients don't even try extracting if they don't completely download all the parts and don't have enough PARs to repair. Hell, most will even stop downloading when it becomes clear that there's no recovery.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dongattack posted:

I'm running Plex on a Synology NAS DS218+. I'm not sure what you mean by client setup. The client(s) are wireless. I'm also not sure what you mean by local or remote, the NAS is in the same building as me connected wired to the router.

Edit: I wonder if maybe the bitrate is just too much sometimes. Cause the episodes that are below 4 gigs play fine, but once they hit 5 gigs it starts to act up.

The CPU on your NAS is also somewhat weak. It's a dual core Celeron @2.0GHz. On a 1080p stream you might be hitting a CPU bottleneck as well as a limitation with your Wi-Fi. You'll actually have to fully transcode VC1 files to h264 if you don't want your server to transcode on the fly. For one of the problem files you can let plex fully transcode one and see if it plays better.

That being said, Plex can be finicky with files. My NAS server is a Ryzen 7 1700 and the client is an Nvidia Shield and I can still get odd stuttering at times even though my server can handle 6 1080p streams at a time.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

wolrah posted:

Modern clients don't even try extracting if they don't completely download all the parts and don't have enough PARs to repair. Hell, most will even stop downloading when it becomes clear that there's no recovery.

Which is what is surprising to me. It looks like it received the missing articles from my block account and extracted the file, however the extracted file was somewhat corrupt. The file I was downloading looks like it had a DMCA style takedown, so maybe it happened while I was downloading it?

I'm still confused as to how SAB was able to extract it if it was corrupt though. I'm on the latest release.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Trout posted:

Which is what is surprising to me. It looks like it received the missing articles from my block account and extracted the file, however the extracted file was somewhat corrupt. The file I was downloading looks like it had a DMCA style takedown, so maybe it happened while I was downloading it?

I'm still confused as to how SAB was able to extract it if it was corrupt though. I'm on the latest release.

Sometimes people post broken things on Usenet as well so that could be a thing happening here.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Stanley Pain posted:

Sometimes people post broken things on Usenet as well so that could be a thing happening here.

Yeah, this too. If your indexer has comments check to see if others are reporting a broken upload.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got Sonarr telling me updates are available in System > Health, but the ubuntu repo doesn't seem to have any updates...anyone else seeing this?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thermopyle posted:

I've got Sonarr telling me updates are available in System > Health, but the ubuntu repo doesn't seem to have any updates...anyone else seeing this?
Assuming 2.0.0.5163 is the latest version mine seems to be working normally.
code:
wolrah@titan:~$ apt-cache policy nzbdrone
nzbdrone:
  Installed: 2.0.0.5163
  Candidate: 2.0.0.5163
  Version table:
 *** 2.0.0.5163 500
        500 http://apt.sonarr.tv master/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://apt.sonarr.tv master/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, I'm on that version, but I still have this:

edit: nevermind a restart of sonarr made the notification go away...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

wolrah posted:

That's almost two years out of date, the latest commit to git master was in December 2017. Something is wrong with the updater on your system, might have to do it manually.

thanks for this -- turns out my NZBGet also wasn't updating. I don't know if CPS is any better but at least it's on the newer version!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have an updated map of the various backbones and their resellers? I heard Highwinds bought Astraweb and there was huge consolidation in the past few years.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The one on Reddit is kept up to date I think.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

YouTuber posted:

Anyone have an updated map of the various backbones and their resellers? I heard Highwinds bought Astraweb and there was huge consolidation in the past few years.

Hope they don't fix their billing system. My account has been active and not billed for 7 years now I think.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ClassH posted:

Hope they don't fix their billing system. My account has been active and not billed for 7 years now I think.

Check your email...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weird, Radarr seems to have sent the same film to NZBGet twice today (within seconds it seems) for reasons I don't understand as it was the exact same version. Then NZBGet didn't flag the 2nd one as a dupe for some reason. So 45gb spent downloading one film. Which I didn't even want because it was picked up from Trakt's list.

Nothing quite like sailing close to the cap at the end of the month.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Today is the Dutch king’s birthday so usenet.farm is 20% off.

quote:

Today we also celebrate the birthday from our king (Kingsday) in the Netherlands, we give you a 20% discount on every payment made this weekend with coupon KINGSDAY2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is Supernews still a recommended provider? I've been with them for ages and am wondering if there's anything better/cheaper around.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Incessant Excess posted:

Is Supernews still a recommended provider? I've been with them for ages and am wondering if there's anything better/cheaper around.

I run block accounts from usenet.farm and average around $2/month (when it's all said and done). It depends on a bunch of things, like how much do you download in a month? Finding block specials is pretty good overall I've found. I also use a few backup block providers that every few years I'll throw a few dollars at. YMMV.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
For cheap unlimited you probably can't beat $3.99 a month or $40 a year from NewsgroupDirect. I believe you also get free VPN service if you send support a message about it.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

sedative posted:

For cheap unlimited you probably can't beat $3.99 a month or $40 a year from NewsgroupDirect. I believe you also get free VPN service if you send support a message about it.

Man, i've been paying 30 bucks a month for giganews, this shows me I need to switch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

derk posted:

Man, i've been paying 30 bucks a month for giganews, this shows me I need to switch!

Holy poo poo. :eyepop: