Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
No matter what, there’s always a kid named Pasqualo.

They are the sort of plucky protagonist who will overcome any challenge... unless it's crippling depression. Luckily, their love for their friends can overcome even that!

And for one friend, Pasqualo would do absolutely anything. Anything.

Pasqualo’s (frequently updated) story is consistantly two parts funny, one part psychodrama, and is separated into three parts (so far). Note with each sequel the exclamation points increase :haw:

The first volume, God Damnit!, is completely optional - it's an old comic and a bit rough, and the artist Gobotatula may or may not consider it canon (ultimately it does not matter). However, its sense of humor and much of the cast did carry over to It Hurts!!, so when you are all caught up, why not? (it's a quick read, too). When Pasqualo’s goldfish dies of completely natural causes, they embark on a quest to kill God with their bare hands.

The second volume is called It Hurts!! Which starts out as a slice of life about Pasqualo and their chums getting into all sorts of hijinks as their school prepares for an awesome talent show! You can find the thread about it here, but you can binge it from the start by clicking this link! Note: you’ll get the full effect of It Hurts!! By going in cold and reading up to and including the hundredth comic! (Stick with it, trust me on this). It will also explain why Pasqualo is a boy during It Hurts!! and now a girl in Please Forgive Me!!!

The third and current volume is called Please Forgive Me!!! - but you already loving knew that. Pasqualo is a cheerful, kind girl, and adorable as hell. She’s so goddamn considerate she’s gonna do the character introductions for me!

P.S. I’m the paper frog Okay, so two more things, assuming you are a completely new reader of this fine series!

The First is about the creators, and I mean this in the best way (Hi Gob), but never ever trust the creators. They will corner your expectations in the prison shower and shank the gently caress out of them. If something seems like foreshadowing, it probably is, and just like mice if you see one, there’s probably dozens you’ve missed. Except it isn’t mice, it was actually snakes the whole time.

What am I talking about? Okay, look up at that comic there. See the top of the second page, that poster that her head’s blocking?

That guy will probably show up later, maybe a non-zero chance he'll be the villain. Or maybe not at all, because it will turn out that the hobo used to be a scientist and actually can bring Peggy from Mad Men to life, if they only had the scratch. Sometimes it’s just that kind of comic, in between the dick jokes.

Second and lastly: The next post is full of spoilers for It Hurts!! To bring old readers up to speed etc, or if you don’t mind having It Hurts spoiled. In fact, it’s all spoilers from here on out, so be aware.

So just loving go and read It Hurts!!, God Damnit!

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Wowie zowie, a whole new Pasqualo adventure awaits!

A caveat: this comic is a dumb comic about butts. It's also a smart comic that waxes poetic sometimes (also often involving butts)! Either way it's getting harder to deny that there's a greater narrative weaving together, and it may or not may not be accidental!

So! This thread should not be taken as a super serious treatise or anything, and any theories I, me, and you put out on the thread are just that.

If you've finished with It Hurts!! but it has been a while, here's a quick recap:

After the hundredth strip, Pasqualo learns he's actually been an indestructible cyborg since birth, and Aurora is literally the Song the Ends the World. Monsters turn out to be very real, and civilization quickly falls into ruin. After the apparent death of all his family and friends, Pasq suffers a slightly deeper level of depression than usual, but snaps out of it in a couple of weeks when Allison revives as a zombie. When they discover this is actually pretty loving cool, they go on to become super-villains and gently caress around with the survivors.

When that gets old, they decide to become sort-of benevolent rulers of their own empire, the center of which is a building consisting of their old school and all the other schools they've taken over stacked on top. Pasqualo forges new friends and re-establishes some old ones, and Aurora returns and makes peace with everyone, and all is well.

That is, until a (seemingly throwaway) joke from earlier in the comic (the Space Rhinos) blows up the entire loving planet, no-sells Katie's escape-rocket plan (killing everyone in the process), super-no-sells Pasqualo's magic bullshit cyborg powers, and murders poor Aurora with a giant flyswatter. Aurora last fleeting thoughts are about how much she cares for Pasqualo before she completely ceases to be. :smith: Everyone else goes straight to hell.

Hell turns out to be not all that different than New Jersey, but while our heroes settle in, it turns out that Hell really sucks because if you die there, that's all she wrote - you cease to be, and it's retro-active. To everyone else, it is as if you never exists - everyone, that is, but Pasqualo, who remembers Tubsy after he and Poop the Wolf fall in battle again Jennifer (Pasquale's mom), who died earlier and trained herself to be a god-slayer (not unlike God Dammit!-era Pasqualo, actually). Pasqualo can't bear Allison forgetting Tubsy, so he rejects Hell, goes to Heaven, and confronts God.

We'll get into what exactly happens with Jennifer later in the post, but unsurprisingly she fails to kill God (she did manage to kill a metric poo poo-ton of armed angels just before that, though). God, who looks identical to their incarnation in God Dammit! (They would but They called in sick to work!) is actually a super-nice reasonable person, and tells Pasqualo two important things: that Pasqualo is an Anomaly (which is why he can remember things that were erased from existence) and that They were not responsible for sending Aurora to Pasqualo, but their mother(!), Harmony, is, and perhaps he should go see Her by going to the very end of the universe. They then give Pasqualo Their Dick (!!) and returns Pasqualo's soul back to its frozen, charred inert corpse, restoring its ability to regenerate and returning Pasqualo to full power.

Pasqualo snags Allison's hair bow as a memento and flies off resolute in his final quest. After a year or two, he gets frustrated but after helping some aliens, feels a new resolute purpose. So as the years tick away and he continues on, he helps more and more aliens, getting more haggard over time, but also growing in power exponentially! After 3,199 years after the destruction of Earth and the start of his current quest, Pasqualo goes One Punch Man on the Space Rhinos, blowing up their home planet, their entire armada, and finally gaining closure over everything he's lost - almost.

After "the end of the universe" turns out not to really be a place, but literally the end of everything, a completely unrecognizable Pasqualo encounters a small gold object that causes him to wake up (back in his original cyborg form) in an old-time theater showing... the end of existence, admit one. Harmony, in the form of a beautiful giant woman comes out on stage and sings a song about... well, everything (with the embodiment of Chaos, tickling the ivories).

She sings (the same way Aurora once could), and Pasqualo's life flashes in front of his eyes along with everyone else's. At the end Harmony takes a bow, and applause fills the air - as Pasq looks around the previously empty theater, he sees a bunch of smiling versions of him from other universes. Pasqualo can only ask the woman if she's Aurora. But sadly, she is not.

Harmony explains this is the end result of entropy. Both Heaven and Hell have long been reduced to ashes and dust that in turn have also faded away (turns out God, while super nice and loving, is really into character building, and Pasqualo took one of the hard ways around!). She also says that Aurora was a tiny piece of her power, sent to Pasqualo because of his sheer desire to know happiness. When the Space Rhinos killed her, that power returned to Harmony, and everything that made Aurora Aurora... simply ceased to be. And speaking of cessation, by now everything and everyone else is also long gone, souls and all. Basically, Pasqualo's journey was all in vain, but the good news is he gets first "dibs" in creating a brand spanking new universe! One where neither he nor anyone he wants to recreate will have any memories of what happened in It Hurts!! but hey it's a start.

The only catch is while Pasq can reboot the new universe in a way where he has the desire to pray for Aurora, then history is damned to repeat itself - neither he nor Aurora can exist in the same universe without causing another Apocalypse. To do anything different would result in an Aurora who isn't really Aurora at all. It'd be the same thing if he tried to create an Allison who wasn't a filthy little tomboy who is... probably black? Or a Tubsy who wasn't capable of punching the gently caress through some skulls when the need should arise. Pasq muses he's basically doomed to be unhappy - but both Harmony and Chaos explain there's alternatives available - he shouldn't need Aurora to be happy. And if he does need her again, that's okay too, because eventually everything will come to nothing in the end, and the cosmic ballet will go on in its eternal cycle. The choice is completely up to Pasqualo, they say, and there's no real "wrong" answer.

But in Pasqualo's mind, Aurora was an actual independent person, with her own thoughts and an endless sense of compassion and empathy. He's actually okay with not needing her to make himself happy - he wants to make it so Aurora herself is happy, and able to make her own choice, rather than be forced into her role in the cycle. Both Harmony and Chaos are stunned, and before they get much of a chance to react, Pasqualo decides it is time to reboot the universe. He knows now what he must do (and given Harmony's reaction, also may well be the first time things have played out this way). But just before the It Hurts!! Pasq fades into a brilliant golden light, he makes a point to ask Aurora's forgiveness for the choice he has made.

Eventually one day, in a new universe, on a new Earth, and in a new New Jersey, a blonde-haired girl sits under a tree and writes in a journal about Charlotte the spider and Wilbur the pig, and the amazing friendship they shared. Just as a new Allison and new Tubsy come over to pick her up, this new girl (named Pasqualo and has a suspiciously Aurora-like way of speaking) concludes that the selflessness exhibited in Charlotte's Web seems pretty impossible to emulate... but she will still try!

So begins Please Forgive me!!!

Man that sure was a recap, wasn't it, gang? So let's move on to Questions Brought Up by the Ending of It Hurts!!

Is God Damnit! canon?
Let's just leave it at it's not not canon. The ending of IH!! shows that there's been been numerous versions of Pasqualo who made it to the End of Existence, so there's no reason to say that GD!-Pasq isn't one of them - hell, the twist is that the universe keeps rebooting, so why the hell not? It is, obviously, the prototype for It Hurts!!, and I can imagine looking at it probably makes Gobolatula continually wince, but that aside there are a number of elements betwixt GD! and IH!! that are consistent, even sequential. For example, in It Hurts!!, both God and Satan seem to remember things from GD!, notably God being adamant about how much They hate getting punched in the face. Satan also just kind of shows up in IH!! without any warning, and has an attitude towards Pasqualo that makes much more sense in context with the relationship with GD!-Pasqualo. There's also his instant (if lopsided) rapport with Jennifer - we'll get back to that in the theories section below. What was the question? Oh, yeah. Yeah, God Damnit! is probably canon, sure. Whatever.

What exactly is Aurora?
In the original OP for the IH!! thread, I had a theory that somehow Aurora was God (first seen in GD! and not again until the end of IH!!). I was close! They are siblings, and Harmony is their mother. The main difference is that Aurora is a small adorable godling and God is, well, God. Even with the tiny power she had, though, Aurora could consistently rewrite reality, just not to the extent that she could undo the apocalypse or bring back the dead. To be fair, she was only alive for like, the day before IH!! began, and only had a few years to really develop her powers, although apparently not against giant flyswatters (I still can't get over that it had a formal name). As mentions above, though, Harmony clearly states the only reason Aurora exists is because Harmony answered Pasqualo's prayers to finally know happiness. Aurora being the trigger for the apocalypse also has more to do with Pasqualo being "the Anomaly" - which in these kinds of situations usually means "because gently caress you, Pasqualo, gently caress you."

(Work in process)

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 9, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It's the dawn of a new era.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

My main question about this new comic is whether it will have more or less dick jokes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

There Bias Two posted:

My main question about this new comic is whether it will have more or less dick jokes.

Dicks are still funny so odds are good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It Hurts!! was good and so far Please Forgive Me!!! is also good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It Hurts!! was easily twice as good as God Dammit!, so I expect Please Forgive Me!!! will be even better.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cat Mattress posted:

It Hurts!! was easily twice as good as God Dammit!, so I expect Please Forgive Me!!! will be even better.

I hope this comic is incredibly wholesome, yet with a bunch of ridiculous hosed up things happening around the oblivious main character.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I hadn't read God Dammit! until it was linked in the OP and It Hurts!! call backs retroactively were killing me.

I'm looking forward to Please Forgive Me!!! and hope to meet all the friends we met along the way again. This incarnation of Pasqualo brings sunshine back to my day when everything else is overcast.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
How many paper animals does Pasq have in her pockets?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Alopex posted:

Just one. At any point of time, she only ever has one origami animal in her pockets.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
She's the Origami Giver.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hello! This comic is good!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm ready for a nice happy story.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I read It Hurts!! after it was already done over a couple of days, looking forward to adding yet another comic to follow in real time.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Alopex posted:

Exactly as many that are needed.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm ready for a nice happy story.

I have no idea if the shoe is going to drop and we're going to go into something like the rollercoaster that was It Hurts!! or if it will genuinely just be a few hundred strips of Pasqualo having good times with her pals.

i hope non zombified Poop makes an appearance

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

That was beautiful. Thank you Kermit. And thank you everyone for the kind words!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Is Josef a goon? Looks like he’ll be the primary writer for the new series with Gob doing the art duties.

While we rightfully shower Gob with praise, I really gotta give props to Josef and Graily for solidifying this team of awesome.

Gobolatula
Nov 7, 2005

Ballz posted:

Is Josef a goon? Looks like he’ll be the primary writer for the new series with Gob doing the art duties.

While we rightfully shower Gob with praise, I really gotta give props to Josef and Graily for solidifying this team of awesome.

I'm pretty sure Josef is a goon. Grail is a goon by proxy since I always show her wacky pics from PYF.

And yes, Josef is doing the writing. I'm sprinkling in my Gob pollution here and there (such as the writing on the hobo's sign), but he's taking the wheel. Grail is providing me with awesome outfit designs. She had to do the whole uniform thing in high school so it's really nice to get her input. I'm having a great time making this so far. I already feel like it's a step up from IT HURTS. Not just tonally; I feel like it's actually better. To be honest, I can barely look at those first 100 IH comics these days, haha.

Anyway we all hope you enjoy this series!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Gobolatula posted:

To be honest, I can barely look at those first 100 IH comics these days, haha.

Not gonna lie reading the early parts of the comic way back when and then seeing you post words on the internet for the first time gave me whiplash.

Like you get the idea in your head of some edgy dude who probably poo poo posts a lot on 4chan but then it turns out you write post like you're the real life grown up version of aurorapasq. I still love the early stuff but can def see why it turns some readers off, even it's own author.

Honestly just love how the quality in general just keeps going up as the plot keeps going up. The art, jokes, general writing and the emotional beats are just on a constant smooth slope upwards through the entire thing. It's 90% why I'm so excited for the new comic. It just keeps going up!

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 9, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Ok seriously, who the gently caress DOESN'T have a professional drying shed? Aside from Ally of course.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Glad Robbie's back, hope we get more Rutherford in the new timeline too.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This is for Wednesday's comic, but it's a nice touch that Ally combs down Pasqualo's hair the same way she combs down Aurora's errant hairs in It Hurts!! :3:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ManlyGrunting posted:

This is for Wednesday's comic, but it's a nice touch that Ally combs down Pasqualo's hair the same way she combs down Aurora's errant hairs in It Hurts!! :3:

Pasq is Aurora this time right?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The impression I got from the end of It Hurts!! was that Pasq recreated the universe so that the new version of him would serve as a replacement for Aurora by being as much like her as humanly possible, mostly erasing his own personality in the process. He felt that Aurora was good, his own personality was fatally flawed, and that the best thing he could do to make a happier world would be to reshape the next version of himself into something as much like Aurora as it was possible for a mundane human to be. Other people seemed to read it as being literally Aurora replacing Pasqualo's "spot" in the universe. I was never clear on which of those was canon though.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Android Blues posted:

The impression I got from the end of It Hurts!! was that Pasq recreated the universe so that the new version of him would serve as a replacement for Aurora by being as much like her as humanly possible, mostly erasing his own personality in the process. He felt that Aurora was good, his own personality was fatally flawed, and that the best thing he could do to make a happier world would be to reshape the next version of himself into something as much like Aurora as it was possible for a mundane human to be. Other people seemed to read it as being literally Aurora replacing Pasqualo's "spot" in the universe. I was never clear on which of those was canon though.

They all do seem fairly happy so far. At the very least Ally looks like she bathes occasionally. Poor Pasq, he never saw his own worth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

I read it as Aurora replacing Pasqualo, because the final comic of It Hurts!! makes it pretty clear that Aurora and Pasqualo can't exist in the same universe as each other because they will always seek each other out and cause the apocalypse, so his solution was to sacrifice himself so that she could live a good life in his place, hopefully not only giving her the chance for a normal and happy existence but also hopefully improving the universe by replacing sadbrains Pasqualo with happy cheerful Pasqrora.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I love that Allison is blushing when they confront her about her improper hamming.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

cant cook creole bream posted:

I love that Allison is blushing when they confront her about her improper hamming.

Silly, she's blushing at the light criticism from Tubsy. She's totally still crushing on him in this universe.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Silly, she's blushing at the light criticism from Tubsy. She's totally still crushing on him in this universe.

Yeah I figured.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

There Bias Two posted:

Pasq is Aurora this time right?

Android Blues posted:

vyelkin posted:

I read it as Aurora replacing Pasqualo, because the final comic of It Hurts!! makes it pretty clear that Aurora and Pasqualo can't exist in the same universe as each other because they will always seek each other out and cause the apocalypse, so his solution was to sacrifice himself so that she could live a good life in his place, hopefully not only giving her the chance for a normal and happy existence but also hopefully improving the universe by replacing sadbrains Pasqualo with happy cheerful Pasqrora.

My take on it is since he and Aurora could never be together without causing an apocalypse, he rigged it so the two of them were together as a single being from the very beginning (I believe this because the new Pasqualo's name is still "Pasqualo", not "Aurora", so it probably was not a simple stop -n- swap. If it were, she'd neither be Pasqualo (the Anomaly) or Aurora (daughter of Harmony), and this new Pasqualo is clearly a fusion of both of them.

This is very much what Aurora did not want. She said it, verbatim, during her final moments in IH!! She wanted Pasqualo to stay her Pasqualo, and to be happy, just as Pasqualo wanted her to be happy - but not at the sacrifice of his individuality! Pasqualo went through with his choice anyway, which is why his last words were Please Cheese "forgive me!"

At the end of IH!!, Harmony mentions that Aurora was simply a small portion of her, just like that Batman episode with Clayface (liek this if u still cry evry tiem) - and Aurora only exists if Pasqualo prays for happiness. I imagine there's probably going to be some repercussions for essentially exploiting a loophole in the universe.

By the way, if you got any good theories I got some really good takes on the Zelda timelines wanna hear I am happy to add them to the second post! Because why not, give my own autistic scrawls some company. :sax:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Critical Ant Situation is the name of my band.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

There Bias Two posted:

Ally crushing on Tubsy is a universal constant. I've proven mathematically that she has a crush on him in the cowboy timeline, the 1920's gangster timeline, and the timeline where everyone is evil and has goatees.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

and the timeline where everyone is evil and has goatees.

So, the timeline where it's the same except everybody has goatees.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Android Blues posted:

I read that it was literally Aurora replacing him, with her entire personality, wants, and desires, because he viewed her as a distinct and fully realized individual who he felt deserved to exist in her own right and not simply because he wished her into being (there may be some irony to this).

So I half expect a brown- or green-haired Pasqualo to show up as a result of Aurora wishing for someone she could make truly happy.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Who What Now posted:

So I half expect a brown- or green-haired Pasqualo to show up as a result of Aurora wishing for someone she could make truly happy.
I'd agree. There's a fifty-fifty chance you'll get to quote this post months or maybe years from now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Glob, I'm severely disappointed in you that the title isn't Cheese Forgive Me. :haw:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Who What Now posted:

That would make her kind of a lovely person.
"I really want to have a person which is ridiculously depressed so that I can make them feel better. Nobody on earth suffices!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Accordion Man posted:

Glob, I'm severely disappointed in you that the title isn't Cheese Forgive Me. :haw:

That's the name of a popular romantic drama in Wisconsin. I'm sure he didn't want to cause a big to-do about usage rights.