Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't have a legendary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Finally got my first. One of the 91 gyms I hit last Sunday. In fact all 12 accounts that did that raid together got the pass there.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I can check for exact numbers later, but I'm coming up on 700 legendaries, and about 300 non-legendary raids.

I've slowed way down on raiding tbh

That's 1,000 raids. It's been roughly 237 days since raids were released, which means you've gotten roughly 237 free passes. That leaves 763 passes you've had to pay for in some fashion.

How much have you had to spend on this game just for raids alone?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo that is a lot of money :stonk:

*insert dollar/hour entertainment value vs movies*

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I can check for exact numbers later, but I'm coming up on 700 legendaries, and about 300 non-legendary raids.

I've slowed way down on raiding tbh

so not quite 1/100 for a pass chance. yikes

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Nah it's a much better chance than that. EX passes haven't been around nearly as long as raids, for one.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I've done 57 legendary and 38 normal raids total and this is my second EX pass.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
37 regular, 72 Legendary, 3 ex passes.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I was looking up the info for my 2nd EX raid pass tomorrow and noticed a 3rd EX raid pass had been silently left for me for next weekend. Another anecdote that they are ramping these up.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Okay game I get the hint, I'll stop playing.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BrainMeats posted:

I was looking up the info for my 2nd EX raid pass tomorrow and noticed a 3rd EX raid pass had been silently left for me for next weekend. Another anecdote that they are ramping these up.

Still zero for me. :shrug:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

robziel posted:

Okay game I get the hint, I'll stop playing.

you're softbanned I bet

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I did eventually catch an Eevee but I've gotten a lot of softbans in the time I've been playing so it's entirely possible. The game likes to think I'm moving at insane speeds while I'm out for a walk.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

167 regular raids, 97 legendary, 5 EX Raid passes now with tomorrow and next week.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Uuh 20 raids with the wife passing by 2 bowser heads, no legendaries, maybe 80% dex on all 3 gens minus legendaries and regional

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

you're softbanned I bet

Could be, but high-CP pidgeys and rattattas can be real dicks even with gold medal.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

you're softbanned I bet

They just hit a stop beforehand.

You throwin curves?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

seiferguy posted:

They just hit a stop beforehand.

You throwin curves?

If I recall all of them but the Swablu we're curved, the Swab flew up into the ball breaking it's curve, the game just hates me sometimes and I finally thought to get a picture of it in my journal. It's also why I don't bother with legendary raids, I have insane trouble with low-tier Pokemon so trying for something that's insanely hard isn't even worth the frustration.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
I'm at 342 legendary raids and 91 regular raids. I just did my first EX yesterday and have another pass for tomorrow. I managed to catch the Mewtwo at the same time I leveled to 40!

Everyone I raid with regularly was puzzled that I had yet to get a pass, but I just attribute it to RNG. Some people I see at raids in Philly think that there's a Niantic employee out to get them, which I think is as egotistical as it is paranoid.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In the last few rounds it seems like pretty much everyone who raided at a gym that was picked, actually got a pass. So it's become a lot less likely to miss out on passes due to bad luck. Though I guess there might be an exception for extremely popular places or you'd have massive crowds at ex-raids.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm just getting Beldum over and over from event eggs, I'd kill for a Bagon or a Chimecho.

You lucky SOB, I've only hatched one :(

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Louisgod posted:

That's 1,000 raids. It's been roughly 237 days since raids were released, which means you've gotten roughly 237 free passes. That leaves 763 passes you've had to pay for in some fashion.

How much have you had to spend on this game just for raids alone?

I don't track it separately, I lump it in with other entertainment. And tbh, PoGo gets most of my fairly small entertainment budget.

I try to be responsibly irresponsible:

- Always stock up on passes with the boxes
- Always dropped $100 for the "best" deal on Pokecoins
- Frequently go with Prime/Costco deals ($100 Google Play cards for $83)
- Always get my daily coins (which doesn't make it less insane, just slightly cheaper)
- Never pay for balls, revives, or anything else aside from the occasional handful of incubators. Lures and incense I hoard from boxes, and I I run out, I run out. Have bought regular Pokeballs a few times during events in the past. Haven't done that since I hit 40.
- Always buy the biggest boxes

So let me take a whack at the math. The number of raid passes in the big boxes varies. Let's just say six passes average per box, that feels lowballed, I know it's been 8, 12, and 20 before. Biggest boxes are usually 1480 coins. Don't think they've ever been more, and I'm trying to err on the side of estimating too high.

763 passes ÷ 6 per box = 127.66 of the big drat boxes
127.66 × 1,480 = 188,207 Pokecoins
14,500 Pokecoins are $100,
188,207 ÷ 14,500 = 12.979,
12.979, × 100

$1297.98 unless I hosed something up.
If we figure up my 50 coins per day since raids started, it amounts to 11,850, less than a hundred bucks worth. Still insane, not worth the math.

If all of my $100 Pokecoin purchases were Costco/Amazon deals, it would be closer to $1080 (rough estimation). I feel like about 2/3 were but I'm not gonna dig through my email, gently caress that. So somewhere between $1080 and $1300. Say $1400 with balls and incubators. $300 of it (in Pokecoins, again with the Costco cards) was gifted.

A lot of that was back when my social group was raiding like crazy. Best way to show that is seen legendaries, in the order they came through in the case of the dogs:

Lugia: 23
Articuno: 27
Zapdos: 27
Moltres: 37
Raikou: 61
Entei: 113
Suicine: 107
Ho-oh: 56
Groudon: 85
Kyorge: 72
Rayquay: 68

We all agreed we were spending too much and pulled back a bit, plus it got actually cold, and two people had a weird spat, two other people are kind of dating and like to go off by themselves, etc etc. Still play a lot, but much less raiding.

Same goes for PoGoing with my kiddo. He used to love doing his daily pass(es), then just tagging along, help me fight the raid bosses by tapping, charm other people into letting him battle theirs. Now he'd rather work on his dex or take gyms. Or do something else entirely.

I've also maxed my bag space and am at 1450 Pokemon Storage, but I figure that's a given.

mastershakeman posted:

so not quite 1/100 for a pass chance. yikes

I've gotten more EX passes since we quit hitting it so hard, weirdly. I was 4/5 in the first five waves, last one of those was like October 30th. I stopped getting them and assumed I'd hit some cut of for invites, which was fine by me. At that point, I had three (one ran, RNG), and several other local people were cut off at three, so I theorized a soft cap. I was apparently wrong.

I randomly got one in mid-December, then one for the 8th of Feb, another for the 10th of Feb, then the 17th, then the 26th, and then yesterday, March 9th. Plus one today and one next Saturday. I have put in zero effort to hit eligible gyms, I'm getting sick of putting in gas and time and getting another 82 or 84 with low attack. Plus I feel vaguely guilty about getting so many damned passes. I mean, I will still go, cause I might get a better one and they're Mewtwo, but Christ.

I wish they'd allow you to transfer your pass to soneone. Or even put it back in the pool, have it go to someone else eligible, but no control over who, to prevent people charging for them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I don't track it separately, I lump it in with other entertainment. And tbh, PoGo gets most of my fairly small entertainment budget.

I try to be responsibly irresponsible:

- Always stock up on passes with the boxes
- Always dropped $100 for the "best" deal on Pokecoins
- Frequently go with Prime/Costco deals ($100 Google Play cards for $83)
- Always get my daily coins (which doesn't make it less insane, just slightly cheaper)
- Never pay for balls, revives, or anything else aside from the occasional handful of incubators. Lures and incense I hoard from boxes, and I I run out, I run out. Have bought regular Pokeballs a few times during events in the past. Haven't done that since I hit 40.
- Always buy the biggest boxes

So let me take a whack at the math. The number of raid passes in the big boxes varies. Let's just say six passes average per box, that feels lowballed, I know it's been 8, 12, and 20 before. Biggest boxes are usually 1480 coins. Don't think they've ever been more, and I'm trying to err on the side of estimating too high.

763 passes ÷ 6 per box = 127.66 of the big drat boxes
127.66 × 1,480 = 188,207 Pokecoins
14,500 Pokecoins are $100,
188,207 ÷ 14,500 = 12.979,
12.979, × 100

$1297.98 unless I hosed something up.
If we figure up my 50 coins per day since raids started, it amounts to 11,850, less than a hundred bucks worth. Still insane, not worth the math.

If all of my $100 Pokecoin purchases were Costco/Amazon deals, it would be closer to $1080 (rough estimation). I feel like about 2/3 were but I'm not gonna dig through my email, gently caress that. So somewhere between $1080 and $1300. Say $1400 with balls and incubators. $300 of it (in Pokecoins, again with the Costco cards) was gifted.

A lot of that was back when my social group was raiding like crazy. Best way to show that is seen legendaries, in the order they came through in the case of the dogs:

We all agreed we were spending too much and pulled back a bit, plus it got actually cold, and two people had a weird spat, two other people are kind of dating and like to go off by themselves, etc etc. Still play a lot, but much less raiding.

Same goes for PoGoing with my kiddo. He used to love doing his daily pass(es), then just tagging along, help me fight the raid bosses by tapping, charm other people into letting him battle theirs. Now he'd rather work on his dex or take gyms. Or do something else entirely.

I've also maxed my bag space and am at 1450 Pokemon Storage, but I figure that's a given.

I've gotten more EX passes since we quit hitting it so hard, weirdly. I was 4/5 in the first five waves, last one of those was like October 30th. I stopped getting them and assumed I'd hit some cut of for invites, which was fine by me. At that point, I had three (one ran, RNG), and several other local people were cut off at three, so I theorized a soft cap. I was apparently wrong.

I randomly got one in mid-December, then one for the 8th of Feb, another for the 10th of Feb, then the 17th, then the 26th, and then yesterday, March 9th. Plus one today and one next Saturday. I have put in zero effort to hit eligible gyms, I'm getting sick of putting in gas and time and getting another 82 or 84 with low attack. Plus I feel vaguely guilty about getting so many damned passes. I mean, I will still go, cause I might get a better one and they're Mewtwo, but Christ.

I wish they'd allow you to transfer your pass to soneone. Or even put it back in the pool, have it go to someone else eligible, but no control over who, to prevent people charging for them.

thar she blows!!!!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Wow. All that money on a super lovely game that squanders its potential at literally every single step.

I spent £8 on this game once cause I got super bored of getting endless 5ks I wouldn't get rid of for months and even that didn't feel worth it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

robziel posted:

If I recall all of them but the Swablu we're curved, the Swab flew up into the ball breaking it's curve, the game just hates me sometimes and I finally thought to get a picture of it in my journal. It's also why I don't bother with legendary raids, I have insane trouble with low-tier Pokemon so trying for something that's insanely hard isn't even worth the frustration.

are you waiting for the circle to get really small?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Heh, I got accused of being a PoGo nolifer last page but I'm nowhere near those numbers!

I actually spent real money on PoGo for the first time today by paying €1.40 for parking close to an ex-raid in the city center because I had two ex-raids at the same hour. Well, and I've also spent money to buy a battery pack but I use that for other purposes too. I have 172 on the legendary raid medal and 110 on the normal raid medal.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Just lmao

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've spent around $30 total on this game and I think that's a tad high. I play it often enough that I've made peace with the fact I spent that much on it. Hell, I spend more than that playing FFXIV over the course of a few months.

Goddamn.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Any pokeballs on sale? Or any good sales?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Entropist posted:

Heh, I got accused of being a PoGo nolifer last page but I'm nowhere near those numbers!

I actually spent real money on PoGo for the first time today by paying €1.40 for parking close to an ex-raid in the city center because I had two ex-raids at the same hour. Well, and I've also spent money to buy a battery pack but I use that for other purposes too. I have 172 on the legendary raid medal and 110 on the normal raid medal.

how much have you spent on gas driving places that you wouldn't otherwise drive to grind up that many coins for raid passes

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum
In the past ~month I've raided 3 times at a Starbucks and have gotten 3 passes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Second perfect legendary seen today. 13 golden razzed excellents and it booked.

I just need to spend more money, right

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Nah you just need to understand the concept of probability.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
The boyfriend did my first ex raid for me since it was the middle of my work day(lovely iv but he caught it) and then right before it I got a second pass for next weekend. He got his first for the same day, and it's on a day we both have off. I'm stoked for both of us. He almost never raids(typically only one day a week when I get him to come out, a chain of 4 last week), so yet more proof the system is stupid.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Second perfect legendary seen today. 13 golden razzed excellents and it booked.

I just need to spend more money, right

Actually if you spend more money on travelling to a less lovely area you'll be able to participate in more 5* raids and thus increase your chances. :homebrew:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

4/4 on Mewtwo so far. Wife got her first. Good day today.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Are these the number attempted or the number caught? Regardless, why so many Entei and Suicune?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Does anyone have an iPad Air (A1475 specifically) and if so, can it run pokemon go? I know it's not optimized for tablets but plenty of people play of tablets so. I know they recently made it so a lot of older devices don't work but I'm not really sure where this specific model fits into the time line.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

flatluigi posted:

how much have you spent on gas driving places that you wouldn't otherwise drive to grind up that many coins for raid passes
Almost nothing because I normally bike around (living in Amsterdam), the car was an exception because I had two ex raids at the same time and I would otherwise have had to take a slow ferry with a risk of missing it. Many gyms can't even be reached by car or you have to pay a fortune for parking.
I also have a gym next to my house so I don't need to go far for coins, and usually I drop some mons in gyms on my (bike) commute.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Psychobabble! posted:

Does anyone have an iPad Air (A1475 specifically) and if so, can it run pokemon go? I know it's not optimized for tablets but plenty of people play of tablets so. I know they recently made it so a lot of older devices don't work but I'm not really sure where this specific model fits into the time line.

It has an A7 and 1GB of memory. It can barely run Go, but it'll crash a lot.

• Locked thread