Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Snowy posted:

Is there an easy way to search for emergency vehicles on Japan car direct? So far I’m finding the search kinda clumsy but that seems typical for Japanese sites.

Nope!
Every night I sit down and simply click 'Toyota' and sort by year, it starts with '0' as the year so most things are too new but sometimes you find a legal-to-import vehicle that isn't marked right. I then go through the pages until I get to 1994 (years aren't sorted by month on the list, the first 1993 entry after 1992 might be a December, while the last one could be a January) opening every vehicle that looks interesting in a new tab. Then I move down the list to Nissan, then to Mazda, etc till I get down to Daihatsu. This is how I've found every single car I've bought, the Rugger, Lite Ace, both land Cruisers and now the Hilux. I do have the email alerts that do send me emails but not everything is entered right so things get missed if you only rely on that.

I asked for sheet translations on the ambulance and 4Runner:

Yoshi translating the Ambulance Sheet posted:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-ggcTKTigcTO4L92.htm -40035-5MT, AC, ambulance, owners manual, rear end repairs, seats torn, some ambulance parts missing, studless tires, undercarriage surface rust, interior dirty and scratches, rear panel and rear floor end slightly bent, paint faded, other dents and scratches

These tend to go for less IMO. Might be a perfect base for a camper.

Yoshi translating the 4Runner Sheet posted:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-iZuLn7QJmmNvBhy.htm -58442- AT, AC, gasoline, actual mileage, odometer swapped at toyota dealer, inspection records (many), "aftermarket suspension?", left rear power window not working, slightly dirty interior, undercarriage surface rust, other dents and scratches

Looks good and yes, likely USDM. Not sure why you would reverse-reverse import...

The swapping of the odometer done at Toyota means that it is not a mileage unverified vehicle, and it really does have that many kms on it.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks for that info, I'm curious to see what it sells for. Only thing I don't like about it is all the windows but maybe there are some panel vans as well. Also notice the a/c unit on the top of it, if that could run off 120 you're halfway there.

Depending on how much those vans go for, I believe they could be profitable as work vans. Search CL and see how much lovely, clapped out high mileage Chevys and Ford panel vans are going for it's loving ridiculous. If you could offer people Toyota reliability in a used work van you could profit easy off of those vans, not only from people looking for work vans, but also people looking to convert a panel van to an RV.

The passenger vans not so much.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Young grasshopper, pile into the auction house listings. Do not click on any make or model, open the advanced search. Set your criteria, click the main search button. Then start isolating with grades, I can clear a whole days worth of new listings in 10 minutes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Young grasshopper, pile into the auction house listings. Do not click on any make or model, open the advanced search. Set your criteria, click the main search button. Then start isolating with grades, I can clear a whole days worth of new listings in 10 minutes.

Neat! Still though I like the way I do it because sometimes an R or RA or heck, even an RB is still a viable option and if I set my criteria I might not see it. The Hilux was a 'Toyota Other' with an auction grade RB, I would have never looked for that or found it within the results if I set what I was looking for. Most of the time I don't even know what I'm looking for! Plus I kinda enjoy sifting through the listings by hand in the sort of toy catalog way.

EDIT
Sometimes even just setting the transmission options is enough to cut out results since the data won't be entered correctly.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 9, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

sold for 490,000 Yen, or $4500 bucks. Kinda pricey but then again it was a weirdo ambulance.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I would buy it to do the Lemons Rally and remake Cannonball Run.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

sold for 490,000 Yen, or $4500 bucks. Kinda pricey but then again it was a weirdo ambulance.

Yeah way too pricey, I was thinking somewhere around 2k would be worth bringing it over. Oh well.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah way too pricey, I was thinking somewhere around 2k would be worth bringing it over. Oh well.

Yeah, that's about the price of a (well) used early 2000's E-350 or Savannah 3500 box truck.

I would think importing what is a commercial vehicle for commercial use would run afoul of US tax law.

Kaker touched on this a bit earlier, but most of the small Japanese vans/trucks I see one county north of him are used on business properties only. Tree farms, horse stables, fish farms, and the like. At that point, I think they fall into the farm equipment category.

You're onto something, definitely. I would just be super careful about intention, vis-a-vis importation for sale. It's your rear end.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

madeintaipei posted:

Yeah, that's about the price of a (well) used early 2000's E-350 or Savannah 3500 box truck.

I would think importing what is a commercial vehicle for commercial use would run afoul of US tax law.

Kaker touched on this a bit earlier, but most of the small Japanese vans/trucks I see one county north of him are used on business properties only. Tree farms, horse stables, fish farms, and the like. At that point, I think they fall into the farm equipment category.

You're onto something, definitely. I would just be super careful about intention, vis-a-vis importation for sale. It's your rear end.

It's not illegal to bring over commercial vehicles, just know that it still has to meet 25 yr law. And you will pay 25% duty on the cost. People focus on trucks alot because they are the visible easy low hanging fruit , but HTS codes only care about one thing, it's intention for use. Transport goods=25%, transport people=2.5%. Farm equipment gets different rates but also has the modification requirement, and limited public road use.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Kaker let me know what that 4runner sold for if you have a way to see

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

How much are Legnum VR4's going for?

Asking for a friend.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

It's not illegal to bring over commercial vehicles, just know that it still has to meet 25 yr law. And you will pay 25% duty on the cost. People focus on trucks alot because they are the visible easy low hanging fruit , but HTS codes only care about one thing, it's intention for use. Transport goods=25%, transport people=2.5%. Farm equipment gets different rates but also has the modification requirement, and limited public road use.

From everything I've seen it's based on how many seats the thing has. A single cab pickup? Commercial and 25%! The exact same pickup but with 4 doors and a back seat? Personal and 2.5%!
Once it's over here nobody gives a hot gently caress what you do with it, it might make so much more sense financially to get one of those cushy HiAces and then just rip the back seats out.

everdave posted:

Kaker let me know what that 4runner sold for if you have a way to see

I'll see if I can get that info, I'm super curious too.

MikeyTsi posted:

How much are Legnum VR4's going for?

Asking for a friend.

:shepface:
I don't know what these are going to do when they become legal for US import but right now lmao those prices.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 10, 2018

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

At that price getting a few and sticking them in storage for a few years might pay off. They sell for about 6000 pounds in the UK so even importing them there would make money. I would guess they don't have the name recognition of some other cars.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, can you buy a pre-25-year car and wait until it's 25 years old to register/sell it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wait, can you buy a pre-25-year car and wait until it's 25 years old to register/sell it?

As long as it does not enter the United States, yes. There is an industry of pre-buying Skylines and storing them in Japan till the 25th year rolls around.
They can not enter the country before 25 years are up though.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Somethings I want that are not 25 years old I am talking to my cousin who owns a transport company to store for me. Buy it now in the UK wait a few years and bring it in.

In theory registering it in the US will be easier was well since the documentation will be in English.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

I'll see if I can get that info, I'm super curious too.

I’m curious too, but I don’t get the appeal of buying a 3.0 import 2nd gen 4Runner. The 3vz was not efficient or reliable and it seems like the biggest benefit of seeking out a JDM surf of similar vintage would be tracking down a more reliable diesel or a 4cyl manual.

Craigslist is full of 3vz 2nd gens with head gasket issues.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

I’m curious too, but I don’t get the appeal of buying a 3.0 import 2nd gen 4Runner. The 3vz was not efficient or reliable and it seems like the biggest benefit of seeking out a JDM surf of similar vintage would be tracking down a more reliable diesel or a 4cyl manual.

Craigslist is full of 3vz 2nd gens with head gasket issues.

Yeah those motors are garbage, my brother owned one and it poo poo on him in the middle of a road trip, he ended up leaving it at the garage it was towed to somewhere in Georgia after he found out it needed a motor.

Absolutely no point in importing a USDM V6 4Runner over here from Japan, complete waste of effort imo.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The 3wheezy is usually outlasted by the v6 badge on the vehicle it's installed in.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
KakerMix, I think your Crown just showed up on V.I.S.I.T!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BigPaddy posted:

Somethings I want that are not 25 years old I am talking to my cousin who owns a transport company to store for me. Buy it now in the UK wait a few years and bring it in.

In theory registering it in the US will be easier was well since the documentation will be in English.

From my (very limited) looking into it the double-transport thing (buying from Japan, storing it in Canada/U.K./rear end) costs way more than just leaving it in Japan. The cost is in ship transport and now you gotta do it twice. Maybe not Canada but depending on where you are geographically truck transport is even more expensive than the ship transport. I also don't have a cousin with a transport company either though.

Florida registration is a new experience every time. I have to have Dave the inspector come out to physically inspect the vehicle(s) to look at the chassis number and see that it matches the Entry Summary from the Dept. of Homeland Security. He says "Yes" and signs a paper then I go to the DMV and pay some money. In my case the vehicle coming from the U.K. would add nothing at all because I always get an English translation of the vehicle sheet, along with the actual sheet in Japanese. There wouldn't be any benefit to having the car come from the U.K. Again though, no family running a transport company.

DJ Commie posted:

Neat! This is a closed group though so I can't see it at all. :v:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fermented Tinal posted:

The 3wheezy is usually outlasted by the v6 badge on the vehicle it's installed in.

I believe the expression I always heard was ‘it has the fuel economy of a V8, but the power of a straight-4.’

And it eats head gaskets for breakfast. L

Also I believe one of the rollers for the timing belt goes around the upper coolant inlet. :psyboom:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Seriously, even with the timing chain issue the inline 4 from that era is the better engine by leaps and bounds. With the aftermarket that exists for the 22R you can easily make them outperform a 3wheezy and they'll last forever doing it.

E: Not to say you can't mitigate some of the issues with the 3vz, but at the end of the day you're better off spending your money on a different engine.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 10, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I don't think the that garbage shitfire v6 4Runner sold at all, and I was never actually interested in buying it anyway. Still, I am learning a lot about it and them from you guys so thanks.
Applebees is totally on the money imho, that truck is a waste of time and effort if only because there is nothing special about it besides the low mileage.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I've seen you on Facebook in the Daihatsu Fourtrak/Sportrak/Rocky group, want me to add you to VISIT? Its pretty cool.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I don't think the that garbage shitfire v6 4Runner sold at all, and I was never actually interested in buying it anyway. Still, I am learning a lot about it and them from you guys so thanks.
Applebees is totally on the money imho, that truck is a waste of time and effort if only because there is nothing special about it besides the low mileage.

Well, even with the v6 you probably would've found a buyer, especially with the vehicle that clean. If you want to see what your target demographic is like and what you can expect to sell a given vehicle for, check out Yotatech, there's good tech info and like all other car forums please avoid the off-topic forum or really anything outside the tech and marketplace subforums. A lot of those nerds will dogpile just about anything from 1981-95.5 that is a light truck or suv that says Toyota and has a salvageable chassis just due to them being Hiluxes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DJ Commie posted:

I've seen you on Facebook in the Daihatsu Fourtrak/Sportrak/Rocky group, want me to add you to VISIT? Its pretty cool.

Absolutely. I applied to join the group normally already if that matters at all.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well, even with the v6 you probably would've found a buyer, especially with the vehicle that clean. If you want to see what your target demographic is like and what you can expect to sell a given vehicle for, check out Yotatech, there's good tech info and like all other car forums please avoid the off-topic forum or really anything outside the tech and marketplace subforums. A lot of those nerds will dogpile just about anything from 1981-95.5 that is a light truck or suv that says Toyota and has a salvageable chassis just due to them being Hiluxes.

I can imagine, there is just a lot of stuff that's outside of for-USA that is much more interesting to tackle first. Probably never see another USDM 4Runner in that shape at auction again anyway.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

It’s a shame because for some damned reason they stuck w the 3vz for like ten years in the 4Runner and it’s really hard to find a 4cyl 2nd gen anywhere.

I drive a 3rd gen 5vz/3.4 now and while the engine is leagues better, I still keep an eye out for 4cyl/5sp 2nd gens. It was probably the best body style and still has the tailgate rear.

Unfortunately they just didn’t seem to make that many, comparatively.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DJ Commie posted:

Yeah, that's ours. Wife was using it to do her garage/rummage sale runs since it was a bit chilly and was slated to rain later. Not like I need to tell you guys this but its an excellent car.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

KakerMix posted:

From my (very limited) looking into it the double-transport thing (buying from Japan, storing it in Canada/U.K./rear end) costs way more than just leaving it in Japan. The cost is in ship transport and now you gotta do it twice. Maybe not Canada but depending on where you are geographically truck transport is even more expensive than the ship transport. I also don't have a cousin with a transport company either though.

Florida registration is a new experience every time. I have to have Dave the inspector come out to physically inspect the vehicle(s) to look at the chassis number and see that it matches the Entry Summary from the Dept. of Homeland Security. He says "Yes" and signs a paper then I go to the DMV and pay some money. In my case the vehicle coming from the U.K. would add nothing at all because I always get an English translation of the vehicle sheet, along with the actual sheet in Japanese. There wouldn't be any benefit to having the car come from the U.K. Again though, no family running a transport company.

I was thinking about buying cars in the UK already rather than buying in Japan, sending to the UK first otherwise yes it wouldn't make sense.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BigPaddy posted:

I was thinking about buying cars in the UK already rather than buying in Japan, sending to the UK first otherwise yes it wouldn't make sense.

Ah yeah then that would make sense.

Just make sure they aren't rusty.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Since you do drive your cars around, have you thought about getting some vinyl clings with your contact info so people can inquire about buying them? Especially since you have hit VISIT at least once (maybe in the Rugger too?) and you'd probably find buyers easily without more work than a $5 cling you can move from car to car.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Tell me about it, most people who go to the trouble of importing to the UK will know to get the thing undersealed but there is always that guy who has to replace half the underside of their Evo after one winter.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

Since you do drive your cars around, have you thought about getting some vinyl clings with your contact info so people can inquire about buying them? Especially since you have hit VISIT at least once (maybe in the Rugger too?) and you'd probably find buyers easily without more work than a $5 cling you can move from car to car.

Maybe same idea but custom license plate holders?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Ah yeah then that would make sense.

No need to check: They almost certainly are!

I can't see importing from the UK making sense outside of UK-origin stuff like TVRs, Land Rovers, and the traditional British classics. Anything that's come into the UK has not only had shipping costs, but also the duty and taxation on top of everything else (unless it meets certain requirements for much reduced rates, which would pretty much put it in the age pool for direct US import anyway) and our registration stuff.

It might work as a specific stock-holding arrangement where it's kind of a bonded warehouse deal regarding the tax and duty, on the basis of them being re-exported, but I really can't see any way to make it more financially viable than renting/buying warehousing space in Japan and stacking it out with cars that just need to ripen on the vine a couple more years.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The first of the 2nd gen Toyota surfs with the 3.0TD motor came out in 1993... that engine is a rocket in something as light as a surf.

So your saying a single cab pickup would be nailed with chicken tax, but the dual cabs aren’t? Cos there’s lots of rust free hiluxs in Australia...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

So your saying a single cab pickup would be nailed with chicken tax, but the dual cabs aren’t? Cos there’s lots of rust free hiluxs in Australia...
Don't they get run into the ground there? Ours did.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ferremit posted:

The first of the 2nd gen Toyota surfs with the 3.0TD motor came out in 1993... that engine is a rocket in something as light as a surf.

Ford Transits get shipped here with seats that then get ripped out and sent nack over, just to avoid the tax.

It's loving dumb. Just like a steel tariff.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Ferremit posted:

Yes and no, again this is all based on the port officer that reviews your paper work. Even then , if the officer makes a mistake and approves your vehicle under the wrong HTS code, if you don't have a bond you are still liable for the damages if it ever goes under audit. It is pretty lovely. Just remember that the HTS codes again do not read as straight forward as 2 seats? 4 seats? The two main codes you would use are labeled as such "vehicle for the primary transport of passengers" (2.5%) "vehicles for the primary transport of goods" (25%).

iwentdoodie posted:

Ford Transits get shipped here with seats that then get ripped out and sent nack over, just to avoid the tax.

It's loving dumb. Just like a steel tariff.

Yes very much so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

No need to check: They almost certainly are!

I can't see importing from the UK making sense outside of UK-origin stuff like TVRs, Land Rovers, and the traditional British classics. Anything that's come into the UK has not only had shipping costs, but also the duty and taxation on top of everything else (unless it meets certain requirements for much reduced rates, which would pretty much put it in the age pool for direct US import anyway) and our registration stuff.

It might work as a specific stock-holding arrangement where it's kind of a bonded warehouse deal regarding the tax and duty, on the basis of them being re-exported, but I really can't see any way to make it more financially viable than renting/buying warehousing space in Japan and stacking it out with cars that just need to ripen on the vine a couple more years.

If you are shipping right out then yes it makes no sense. I am talking more about buying stuff in the UK that is under 25 years old then storing it for free on property a family member owns until it is 25 years old to import for myself.