Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What is it with 2011 games coming to the Switch? First Skyrim and now this.

Making new games is more expensive and less rewarding than porting older games everyone still likes to newer consoles and getting them to buy a game they already own again at full price.

(I really hope the DS remaster is enough of an improvement to be worth it but if it isn't/they actually expect us to pay 60 dollars for a 7 year old game then lmao)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What is it with 2011 games coming to the Switch? First Skyrim and now this.
It will also run half as well for that cinematic gameplay.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Lightning Knight posted:

Making new games is more expensive and less rewarding than porting older games everyone still likes to newer consoles and getting them to buy a game they already own again at full price.

(I really hope the DS remaster is enough of an improvement to be worth it but if it isn't/they actually expect us to pay 60 dollars for a 7 year old game then lmao)
There's also the fact that the Switch is a portable device that is relatively easy to transport and play on, so you can play all those older games on the go instead of in a dank basement at home on your PC.

If you're worried about horribly lore-shattering mods, don't worry, I'm sure the internet will have you covered.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know what you're talking about, dark souls doesn't have any horribly lore-shattering mods

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You mean nobody's modded in a full Randy Savage armor set?

Wait, no, we're talking about lore-shattering mods. That's super lore-friendly.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shei-kun posted:

If you're worried about horribly lore-shattering mods, don't worry, I'm sure the internet will have you covered.

I'm cool with Dark Souls mods, I wish there were more, but they apparently clash with the online stuff.

I have a Switch but I have no interest in DS on the Switch. Apparently it won't get 60 FPS there lmao.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have never really noticed any real practical difference in playing a 30 fps vs 60 fps game why do people care so much

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm somewhat prone to simulation sickness, and while the usual cause is of course the FOV being too low, low frame-rates can do it too. Even something like 30 FPS sometimes, yeah. So that's a pretty important one. Sometimes games become less responsive when the FPS gets low, too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's an actually valid reason, but i doubt it's the predominant one

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The primary reason you hear people citing is that 30 FPS is less responsive than 60 FPS, which is certainly true for games that were primarily designed to run at 60 FPS.

Dark Souls, however, was not; in fact, running it at 60 FPS actually breaks the hell out of it because of the way it's programmed.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Other than jumping being wonky, what's so messed up? I run it at 60 FPS and never really run into trouble, though I haven't put 100s of hours into it either.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Equipment breaks twice as fast in one of the Dark Souls Games. Basically a number of things are built around the frames in which 2 objects interact, if the action happens the same real-time speed but the frames happen twice as fast some things will in fact flat out break, because the game will register twice as many frames of interaction.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Tollymain posted:

i have never really noticed any real practical difference in playing a 30 fps vs 60 fps game why do people care so much

Is this hyperbole, or do people really not see / feel the difference? I can play 30fps games, sure, but 60 just feels much smoother. To me the difference is obvious even in something like Hearthstone, not to mention action games.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dropbear posted:

Is this hyperbole, or do people really not see / feel the difference? I can play 30fps games, sure, but 60 just feels much smoother. To me the difference is obvious even in something like Hearthstone, not to mention action games.

It can be hard to tell if you’ve never played the game in both modes.

For example, I played The Surge on console, in 30 FPS, and it was fine, but there were moments I would die where I felt like if I had a few more frames I could’ve lived. Watching CJacobs play it in 60 FPS on PC, where you do have those frames, confirms this suspicion.

Likewise, Bloodborne’s 30 FPS doesn’t bother me really, but I hate fighting the couple of enemies that consistently cause frame drops (such as the bag men).

I’d say that consistency is the most important thing, but in general I wish developers were prioritizing 1080p/60 FPS rather than 4K/30 FPS, but alas.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i would rather a steady 30 fps than fluctuating between 50 and 60 fps.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sleepy.eyes posted:

Other than jumping being wonky, what's so messed up? I run it at 60 FPS and never really run into trouble, though I haven't put 100s of hours into it either.

With the game running at 60 FPS, sliding down ladders will drop you through the environment and kill you, iframes for dodging are cut in half and everything that depletes weapon durability does so twice as fast.

FromSoft fixed the ladder thing for the initial PC release of Dark Souls 2, but didn't bother patching the other two things until they released it on the dogbox and PS4 and even more people started complaining.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
i frames for dodging are cut in half, but there are twice as many frames, so that one at least doesn't change anything in practice :downs:

The game was designed to run at a solid-ish 30 fps because it was never meant to be played on a system where you could manually control it. It's still very bad practice and relatively easily avoidable (but a bit less memory consuming which is probably why they did it), but if your target framerate is the only framerate your game can be played at by consumers, I think it's alright to tie logic stuff to the framerate. Obviously as soon as your game comes to pc that goes right out the window, but they definitely learned from their mistake with Dark Souls 2 where the durability bug is an actual coding error and not a by-design thing.

edit: Bloodborne's problem that makes it run so crappy (even outside of the frame-pacing thing that causes teeny tiny stutters) is that there are physics objects absolutely everywhere in addition to a huge draw distance and pretty useless culling rules. Bloodborne uses standard backface culling, which basically makes it so that the back side of an object isn't rendered if you can't see it in your camera to save on memory/etc, but not much more than that and it really could have used it. This was one of the same problems that caused good ol' Blighttown to run like garbage back in the day! They got around this... sort of... by doing a lot of manual culling of stuff the player isn't likely to see or look at- for a specific example off the top of my head, the sewer with the pig in Central Yharnam drops you off right next to Old Yharnam's final cathedral area, but if you look behind you at it while climbing the nearby ladder it's just totally see-through because it has no back side.

However, they didn't have to pay attention to any of those things because it's a PS4-only game, so as long as it runs pretty alright at 30 fps on a PS4 they're satisfied. It's the same attitude they likely had for Dark Souls being 360/PS3 exclusive with no pc release initially planned. Again, that's not real good practice, but if it allows them to cram in more detail then hey I guess it works. I don't think Blooborne would run at a stable 60 even if the framerate was unlocked because it's got so much detail crammed into every corner and so many things to keep track of at once that it probably wouldn't be able to clear it even on a good-quality pc.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 14, 2018

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I don't think Blooborne would run at a stable 60 even if the framerate was unlocked because it's got so much detail crammed into every corner and so many things to keep track of at once that it probably wouldn't be able to clear it even on a good-quality pc.

If Dark Souls 3 is any indication, you're quite right. That game struggles to hit 60 FPS at any point, much less consistently.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
drive-by doll postin'

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
We're back! Thanks Zetsubou-san for keeping the thread alive with art while I have been indisposed recovering from my surgery.

Technically speaking, shouldn't the shadows not be here since it's night time? I know the whole 'shadow' thing is metaphorical and all but I really would like it if they'd just leave until sunrise, it'd make my life much easier. I dunno, maybe the moon just shines really really bright in Yharnam.

Major, major, major thanks to my good buddy Chaos Argate for sending me the files for his own really good blind Blooborne LP, which I was a guest on a few times. I don't have PS+ and I ain't shelling out like 60 dollars for it so I couldn't capture any footage of the pvp/invasions myself, and he thankfully had tons of footage in his LP. You should watch it, it's really good and he's way better at the game than he had any right to be!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 21, 2018

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
When you get right down to it, isn't night-time just one big shadow cast by the planet you're standing on?

makes u think

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Glad to see some footage from the ChaosArgate LP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh dammit I knew I forgot to put something in the description! Major, major, major thanks to my good buddy Chaos Argate for sending me the files for his own really good blind Blooborne LP, which I was a guest on a few times. I don't have PS+ and I ain't shelling out like 60 dollars for it so I couldn't capture any footage of the pvp/invasions myself, and he thankfully had tons of footage in his LP. You should watch it, it's really good and he's way better at the game than he had any right to be!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You know, I don't think I ever talked to that guy. I never did co-op or PVP in the game, didn't really care to, so it didn't strike me as unusual; I just never used the bells so I never summoned anyone. I never saw those NPC summon signs and never got that rune.

Actually, looking at it now, I played Bloodborne basically on release, and this whole co-op system was added in a later patch. That would explain it!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was! Valtr, the old hunter bell that lets you summon NPCs, the league covenant- none of it. All of the game's NPC co-op and Valtr himself were added with the patch that came when the DLC released.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This LP is already one of my favourite LPs ever, keep it coming!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CJacobs posted:

It was! Valtr, the old hunter bell that lets you summon NPCs, the league covenant- none of it. All of the game's NPC co-op and Valtr himself were added with the patch that came when the DLC released.

Wasn't there a handful of NPCs on release you could summon, like Alfred for BSB or Gascoigne for Cleric Beast? I know they added most of them with TOH though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lightning Knight posted:

Wasn't there a handful of NPCs on release you could summon, like Alfred for BSB or Gascoigne for Cleric Beast? I know they added most of them with TOH though.

Yeah, NPCs already in the game like Alfred were always summons and you don't need a bell for them, just insight. The 'old hunter bell' added by the DLC patch allows you to summon several 'old hunter' prefix npcs that don't appear in the game as people you can chat with. Some of them do appear in the chalice dungeons at least, though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 22, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just a heads up, there's going to be an update this week now that I have a little stockpile of footage going! Sorry this LP's been going kinda slow, been dealing with sickness and other life stuff and internet problems and I'm tired of complaining about it so I won't make you read all that this time. Instead I'll talk about a new thing I'm doing on the side!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcQ4mZ1HSM

This is the initial installment of 'Trip Report', the first original series I've created for my YouTube channel! These are short, scripted videos where I share how I feel about games I don't plan on doing a let's play or stream of, in a concise and succinct manner. I hope you enjoy!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I got to the "$10 per save slot" and went, "Nope, I will never play this game."

Liked the mini review, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And we're back, again. This time for real.

Ghosts n' stuff.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
wrong edit

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
remember snake

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MillennialVulcan posted:

remember snake

Like a dream,...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my personal favourite thing with your Bloodborne career was in ChaosArgate's LP when you kept it relatively together during the spider bit you mentioned in Snake Land with just occasional outbursts of "OH poo poo JESUS CHRIST! Gnyaaaahhh! :gonk:"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
God, I don't want to overstress it, but the ladder in Snake Eater might be the funniest thing that's ever happened in video games.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Anytime a ladder traversal in an LP gets beyond 5 seconds I immediately start hoping for Snake Eater.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
If I recall correctly, the Tonitrus durability gets worn down much faster when its electrified. Also, I could swear that the Cainhurst summons is supposed to be written by the player, same as the note about the paleblood, but I can't for the life of me remember the source of that.

Also, the Cainhurst statues don't look up like the Church ones; makes me wonder if they were made to spite the Church by mocking them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Something Bloodborne does incredibly well is to showcase how different cultures handle the same problem (like Dark Souls 2). The beast plague is at its core very simple: by imbibing sacred blood you become healthy and strong, but it also twists you into a nightmare version of yourself. But the devil's in the details. Yharnamites slowly turn into werewolves, probably because of the Ashen Blood plague which wiped out Old Yharnam. It didn't go away, it was just covered up. Blood ministration to them is quite sacred, so the influence of religion is clear as well (since "Clerics turned into the most vile beasts").

Sometimes you just go a bit mad and lose your higher functions, like the firekeeper women in Hemwick. They are also affected by the Witches wanting to gather eyeballs and create Bone Marrow Ash by "blasphemous burial rituals", so they're not acting under their own free will.

In Cainhurst, we see a different version of beast plague. The core idea is the same, but the result varies. The ghosts were probably killed by the Executioners when they came through to put a stop to the Vilebloods (since their hands are bound). We don't know what Vilebloods are yet, but they had different ideas about the healing blood than the Healing Church. Since a scholar came to Cainhurst directly from Byrgenwerth, he brought blood from before the Schism, when the blood was more pure. The result, I think, is that the Cainhurst nobles turned into the gargoyle vampires. Blood drinking is a real priority for the Cainhurst folks, and the form they take should reflect that. Their faces look a lot like the face of the armored man in the painting, especially his beard. And, you know, they must have come from somewhere.

The other paintings are also interesting. I'm not touching on the woman-with-child, because we haven't gotten there yet. The man in brown robes is probably the wayward scholar from Byrgenwerth, since he was important to their culture and worthy of being painted like this. There are also concept drawings of a man and a woman in the Knight Set, people wearing Cainhurst armor, and a woman wearing the purple dress that the ghosts wear.

The bloodlickers you tried to kill in the courtyard are not locals, they appear when a lot of blood has been spilled (like in a later area). They originate in the labyrinths below Yharnam, and you can see them in chalice dungeons when you do a lot of visceral attacks.

I'm taking a lot of this stuff from the Bloodborne Up Close video on Cainhurst, which you should all watch.

Edit on statues: The Cainhurst statuary is different from Yharnam statues. Their eyes aren't bound, for one. Having your eyes covered is an important religious signifier in Yharnam, so it makes sense that Cainhurst statues wouldn't show the same trait. Also, they show more Renaissance influence, and especially Christian statues of saints and kings. It's another way in which their culture differs from Yharnam.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
If that's mercury in that swamp then I think Bloodborne is embellishing its toxicity a bit; otherwise that idiot in my high school science class all those years ago who tipped some mercury into his cupped hand in order to play around with it would have keeled over dead on the spot. (This is directly after we were told it was poisonous, for the record.)

Interesting thing about mercury if you've never held, like, a vial of it or something; it's really heavy. It feels like you're holding something that should be several times the size it is.

Anyway, it's good to have this back. Next best thing to being able to being able to play it myself, and I'm still not going to buy a PS4 for one game.