Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?

Thanks to my sister for the banner art!

Donkey Kong has been one of the most recognizable video game characters since his inception as the titular character in the 1981 arcade game Donkey Kong. He was a large cartoony gorilla, something that drew attention to the cabinet. He was an icon, one of the early symbols of the medium. The only problem was that Donkey Kong was such a large and detailed character, at the time it was impossible to make a game where you could play as him. His rival Mario had moved on to greener pastures, but ol' DK was stuck in the past. There was a ten year drought of games featuring the big ape, until 1994 when Donkey Kong's arcade debut was remade for Game Boy and later that year Donkey Kong was given a starring role and his own Country to boot!

British developer Rareware was given the reigns for the arcade golden boy and they managed to produce 3 of the most successful games for the Super Nintendo with the Donkey Kong Country trilogy. The games were praised for their cutting edge graphics and soundtracks; as well as introducing an entire new cast to the Donkey Kong universe. Rare was made the goto team for Donkey Kong games up until the Gamecube era when they were bought by Microsoft. Donkey Kong still appeared in games, and even had a few of his own such as Jungle Beat and King of Swing, but fans clambered for a new “true” Donkey Kong game.

Retro Studios is a studio based in Texas. Even as a relatively inexperienced team they did what Nintendo themselves had no idea how to do and brought Metroid back, and in 3D. They seemed like miracle workers, nearly single handedly turning Samus Aran into one of gaming biggest icons after years of silence from the series. They seemed like the perfect team to resurrect the 800-pound gorilla in the room for a second time. (I think they did a pretty good job)

I'm TheJayOfSpade and Donkey Kong Country Returns (and its sequel Tropical Freeze) are two of my favorite platformers. I'll be playing through the first game solo and getting 100% (this means collecting everything in all the levels, no time trials). Joining me on commentary are notorious monkey lovers ChorpSaway and FutureFriend.

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

TheJayOfSpade fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 10, 2018

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I'm really enjoying the art style of this game. How do the controls work? Is it motion control?

I loved the original Donkey Kong Country when it came out, but I imagine it hasn't aged well.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

EasilyConfused posted:

How do the controls work? Is it motion control?
You have to shake the Wiimote to roll, which is pretty annoying. There's some other motion control stuff, but that's the biggest one.

quote:

I loved the original Donkey Kong Country when it came out, but I imagine it hasn't aged well.
It's still a pretty fun platformer with a nice flow to the levels, although many of them have frustrating difficulty spikes. The graphics are looking pretty dated these days, although some of the stuff Rare did with the backgrounds and color palettes still looks cool. The music is every bit as amazing as it was in 1994.

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

I'm glad someone's finally sticking it to those Donkey Kong purists! But seriously, I enjoy these games a lot better than the originals, it's a fresh take on the classic and I think it handles the increase in difficulty pretty well, which makes it more apeeling.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Doc Morbid posted:

You have to shake the Wiimote to roll, which is pretty annoying. There's some other motion control stuff, but that's the biggest one.

There's a hack that allows you to play with a Classic Controller, which I wholly recommend.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

There's a hack that allows you to play with a Classic Controller, which I wholly recommend.

Is it buying the 3ds version?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The 3DS version is kinda eh, FutureFriend got it right by saying that the game was clearly not designed for the screen size and resolution of the 3DS. It doesn't help that it only runs at a slightly unstable 30 FPS either compared to the Wii's 60.

In case you wanted an actual answer, you can find the codes for the US version here. There's also a code for the PAL version but I'm not sure where to find that.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What war crimes did Donkey Kong commit?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

What war crimes did Donkey Kong commit?

All of them.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I don't really mind the motion controls, but yeah the Classic Controller is the way to play this game. It's a shame that it's not coming to the Switch, because I'm sure it'd play great on the Pro Controller

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I can't believe Jay and Chorps just no-sold that Wrath of Cortex deep cut.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

I can't believe Jay and Chorps just no-sold that Wrath of Cortex deep cut.

I can't believe FutureFriend and Chrops are war crimes apologists :colbert:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

hey, the only thing i find wrong about war crimes is that people call them crimes

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't believe FutureFriend and Chrops are war crimes apologists :colbert:

I refuse to believe that this surprises anyone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm with FutureFriend, the original Country games aren't incredible, like the Crash Bandicoot games.

Also I think DK fans call themselves Konquistodors.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I totally missed that this game existed, so thanks for LPing this!

I'm not a huge fan of the mine cart levels, but the music is top-notch and they remixed it in this game :allears:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Also I think DK fans call themselves Konquistodors.

Kongquistadors. Which is better than their old nickname, the Skhutzstaffel.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Of the uses for the Wii remote, "flail violently to punch the snot out of something" is surely one of the most appropriate.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Glazius posted:

Of the uses for the Wii remote, "flail violently to punch the snot out of something" is surely one of the most appropriate.

Second place goes to Mad World where you shake the Wiimote to shoot a man a bunch

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Grab your coconut scented sun screen! It's time to hit the beach!

Here's all the extra art we unlocked in this episode:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'm glad you didn't cut Funky Kong's cursed dick, it'd look even smaller if you had.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Donkey Kong takes his fish hugs very seriously.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Donkey and Diddy are learning all about their ancestors in this episode of Donkey Kong Country Returns!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Cranky Kong built himself a poo poo-ton of vacation homes, didn't he?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Glazius posted:

Cranky Kong built himself a poo poo-ton of vacation homes, didn't he?

He was hired to throw all those barrels by the construction company in order to commit insurance fraud and used his cut of the money to buy all the houses on the island.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Cranky made a ton of money thanks to his keen business sense

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

So now that we know Cranky is a militant capitalist at heart, do you think he passed that along to Donkey and Diddy? Are they slaves to the DKC equivalent of the almighty dollar?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ChorpSaway posted:

So now that we know Cranky is a militant capitalist at heart, do you think he passed that along to Donkey and Diddy? Are they slaves to the DKC equivalent of the almighty dollar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8WvSGNEV24

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TheJayOfSpade posted:

Cranky made a ton of money thanks to his keen business sense

Like Mark Hamill he made sure to secure a cut of the merchandise sales.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

I'm enjoying this lp a lot. I played DKCR with a friend and remember it fondly. I was wondering though, do you think Tropical Freeze was better than Country Returns?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still shocked this game had a 3DS version.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

MellowMushroom posted:

I'm enjoying this lp a lot. I played DKCR with a friend and remember it fondly. I was wondering though, do you think Tropical Freeze was better than Country Returns?

I think Tropical Freeze is a better game, but Returns is no slouch. I'm real disappointed it's not getting a rerelease for Switch along with TF

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Hold onto your butts! It's a minecart spectacular!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a pretty great bat chase. The rocket levels in general are pretty neat-looking.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Unfortunately there won't be a Donkey Kong episode tomorrow. Because of Easter we weren't able to record anything. I might stream to my Youtube channel before work tomorrow, but that won't be Donkey Kong, so I won't put it in the thread.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

This video is more fun than a dang ol' monkey in a tree!

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

Thank you Donkey Kong for being my straight edge hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dann good episode. You started playing so fast and loose with the secrets that I was getting startled thinking you just rolled off to your death. Like you did in like the first 3 minutes of the video.

• Locked thread