Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Beastie posted:

Take it, work it, bank some money and use it as an opportunity to get out after a while. Full team means a slightly or totally more consistent schedule.

You could do a lot with that.

Honestly I'd love it for a lot of reasons.

I'd love getting out no later than 8 every night instead of 10, because then I'd stay up late less often.

I'd love the 300-400 extra dollars a month.

I'd love not having to hold my hands in loving freezers all day every day.

I'd love being in a department that was critical enough that I was guaranteed help or extra hands if I went on vacation.

I'd love a chance to learn new tasks and break up the routine.

I'd love to run the gently caress away from dairy and all assorted dairy headaches.

I'll know one way or another within the next six days. If I'm lucky, I get moved before loving inventory and I will be laughing my balls off if I get to parachute out of my department ahead of that trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Good luck. Getting full-time on a fixed shift was the best thing that ever happened to me (within the confines of working retail)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Good luck!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

No matter which way it cuts, it'll tell me something about my managers. So will the way our staff pinballs around to fill the new voids. The only outcome that'll piss me off is if our store manager is dumb enough to give a full-time slot to someone outside the store.

That's grounds for a goddamn mutiny. You don't take money from your own people, not unless you think they're all so lovely you can't trust any of them.

In store there are only two people I know of that could beat me out for sure, and neither of them seem to want it. The third also has no experience in this department. If I had to guess, I'd win out over him, but he'd be on the very short list of replacements for frozen food.

If I do land it, I'll be doing produce. That'll give me experience in every department except the deli. Funny thing is, if it was a position in the deli, I'm sure I would get it. I know the deli manager's favorite beer, the one he buys every day before he walks out the door. If I see we're about to run out, I hide a few cans so he won't have to stop on his way home.

He likes me.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
We have a new drink called the hazelnut mocha coconut milk macchiato and its a mouthful and I get tongue tied every time I call it out.

"grande hazelnut cocoa mocha-ato for Laura!"
"mocha-nut milk macchiato"
"Coconut mochal nut macchiato"
"mocha coconut hazelnut"

"ICED HATCHI MATCHI FOR JOHN"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'd be way more inclined to order a hazelnut macchiato if it were genuinely called a Hachi Machi, though, so maybe stick with that.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Pentaghastly posted:

We have a new drink called the hazelnut mocha coconut milk macchiato and its a mouthful and I get tongue tied every time I call it out.

"grande hazelnut cocoa mocha-ato for Laura!"
"mocha-nut milk macchiato"
"Coconut mochal nut macchiato"
"mocha coconut hazelnut"

"ICED HATCHI MATCHI FOR JOHN"

It's also loving stupid because now we have the coconut milk mocha macchiato AND the hazelnut mocha coconut milk macchiato. Two different drinks, almost entirely the same names.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

gamingCaffeinator posted:

It's also loving stupid because now we have the coconut milk mocha macchiato AND the hazelnut mocha coconut milk macchiato. Two different drinks, almost entirely the same names.

I know hazelnut and mocha go together, but why coconut milk? Its just a ploy to get customers to buy our least used components. Never in my time here has someone had to buy coconut milk from the grocery store because we didnt order enough. Hazelnut syrup going fast too. Now if we could just get some promotion going for butterscotch or make it a loving syrup instead of what looks like melted Werthers originals and bacon grease so I dont have to dump out a two week old container of that sludge ever again.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

"Hey boss, I need Monday off so I can go do things. Don't schedule me."

My boss: "Yeah sure."

Also my boss: "How about I do, anyway~"

I can't even blame her directly because there's like four different people who write the schedule and nobody talks to each other.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Near as I can tell that sugary poo poo that Charbucks is serving up does not bear any relation to an actual macchiato, which is a shot of espresso with a dash of steamed milk foam.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

therobit posted:

Near as I can tell that sugary poo poo that Charbucks is serving up does not bear any relation to an actual macchiato, which is a shot of espresso with a dash of steamed milk foam.

its sweet and it makes customers feel classy and cultured when they order a "macchiato"

sometimes I wish I was an actual barista and then wonder if it'd be a totally different level of hell.

I also wish I didn't have to cover up my latte dick art with whipped cream

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pentaghastly posted:

So someone finally opened up a"banana hammock barista" coffee stand for the ladies?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

"Hey boss, I need Monday off so I can go do things. Don't schedule me."

My boss: "Yeah sure."

Also my boss: "How about I do, anyway~"

I can't even blame her directly because there's like four different people who write the schedule and nobody talks to each other.

Do you work for a corporation? Most name corporations have moved all requests to digital , so once it’s approved, it’s a done and sealed deal.

I know the answer is “lol retail,” but it amazes me if your place of work doesn’t have something like that.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
New corporate policy is that full time employees must be available for the entirety of operating hours. Got kids? gently caress you. Second job? gently caress you. One car household? gently caress you. Just want a single consistent day off for life maintenance stuff? Double gently caress you. Everyone's availability was erased, and we're going to be rotating shifts!

:suicide:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I assume the managerial chair-warmers are, of course, completely and coincidentally exempt from this fuckery :shepface:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I assume the managerial chair-warmers are, of course, completely and coincidentally exempt from this fuckery :shepface:

They’re “available” but of course their shifts arent needed on weekends so why would they work nights or weekends?

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The managers who actually work in stores aren't. The corporate fucks? They won't even answer an email unless it's M-F, 8 am to 4 pm.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kickshaw posted:

New corporate policy is that full time employees must be available for the entirety of operating hours. Got kids? gently caress you. Second job? gently caress you. One car household? gently caress you. Just want a single consistent day off for life maintenance stuff? Double gently caress you. Everyone's availability was erased, and we're going to be rotating shifts!

And corporations continue to move away from tacitly treating their employees like slaves and openly telling them "you are slaves."

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Pentaghastly posted:

its sweet and it makes customers feel classy and cultured when they order a "macchiato"

sometimes I wish I was an actual barista and then wonder if it'd be a totally different level of hell.

Everytime I order a real macchiato from a real coffee shop, they always double check to make sure I want a real macchiato and not a milkshake from starbucks. I'm sure they get a lot of folks trying to order off the starbucks menu and getting pissed off when they get real coffee.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Kickshaw posted:

This is one reason I am fairly confident I'll get my dumb promotion to full time.

I have no life.

I have no wife.

I live around the corner.

I also live in a small town and really, who wants to live in or commute to a tiny pisshole of a town? Really though, I love the idea of being on-call like I'm a heart surgeon or something. "Sorry, I have to go- an eighty year old needs the freshest bananas."

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This is one reason I am fairly confident I'll get my dumb promotion to full time.

I have no life.

I have no wife.

I live around the corner.

I also live in a small town and really, who wants to live in or commute to a tiny pisshole of a town? Really though, I love the idea of being on-call like I'm a heart surgeon or something. "Sorry, I have to go- an eighty year old needs the freshest bananas."

That’s how I feel when they give me overtime. “It’s so important they pay me time and a half to get screamed at by middle aged women about our return policy!”

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

"Sorry, I have to go- an eighty year old needs the freshest bananas."

That reminds me, the higher ups are pushing order-to-floor (or whatever the hell it's called) again. Basically "never, under any circumstance, have any back stock".
Now, if the warehouse never sends us ripe bananas, and we're not supposed to hold the green ones overnight, how do we get yellow bananas?
:iiam:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Armacham posted:

Everytime I order a real macchiato from a real coffee shop, they always double check to make sure I want a real macchiato and not a milkshake from starbucks. I'm sure they get a lot of folks trying to order off the starbucks menu and getting pissed off when they get real coffee.

Not actually, at least where I worked. Most of us were actually into coffee, so would jump at the chance to evangelize someone and make them realize that the brown sludge underlying their milkshakes can actually taste good when done right.

And no hiding our latte dicks.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

cephalopods posted:

That reminds me, the higher ups are pushing order-to-floor (or whatever the hell it's called) again. Basically "never, under any circumstance, have any back stock".
Now, if the warehouse never sends us ripe bananas, and we're not supposed to hold the green ones overnight, how do we get yellow bananas?

Sounds like that stupid rear end thing Whole Foods was doing that is currently deep-dicking their stores day and night.

Produce and dairy need tight management of their backstock, but if you're at a busy store you're going to have some backstock for obvious reasons, and if you're at a slow store you'll have it for different reasons.

I really want to be the guy who only orders "enough" cotton candy grapes because of a bad corporate policy so people complain at me all day.

Every day I hate corporate a little more.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

JohnCompany posted:

Not actually, at least where I worked. Most of us were actually into coffee, so would jump at the chance to evangelize someone and make them realize that the brown sludge underlying their milkshakes can actually taste good when done right.

And no hiding our latte dicks.

I've learned that some people don't like coffee, but want the "status" of carrying a starbucks cup or any branded coffee cup or what the gently caress ever. "Can I get that with five extra pumps of syrup and one less shot of espresso?" Just admit you dont like coffee and save yourself $5, Brenda. Better yet, take an excedrin migraine and get lit from the caffeine in that like I do

"Gotta have my coffee in the morning!" *orders java chip frappucino*

(This is also a self-drag)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's me, I'm the guy who walks around secretly sipping water from a Starbucks cup for the massive street cred

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who walks around secretly sipping water from a Starbucks cup for the massive street cred

Ok but we have like...really good water. I get the "secret menu barista only" Trenta size water during my shift

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Sounds like that stupid rear end thing Whole Foods was doing that is currently deep-dicking their stores day and night.

Yep! And they only started pushing it on us after the Whole Foods Stock Nightmare stories blew up, so I really hope some exec loses his bonus over this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cephalopods posted:

so I really hope some exec loses his bonus over this.

Lol at this actually happening.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

cephalopods posted:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I guess someone straight up didn't show up to open one of our stores this morning?

I need this gossip

Straight into my veins

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Starbucks should totally sell their branded water. Imagine the profit margins on Starbucks water...also imagine the infusion of caffiene and sugar that would go into it.

I'll have a Grande Acqua whip with three shots please.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I wonder how much money companies have invested in making those caps look almost identical to the finished, dried product only for people to ignore them and spray random shelves to see for themselves.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sankis posted:

I wonder how much money companies have invested in making those caps look almost identical to the finished, dried product only for people to ignore them and spray random shelves to see for themselves.

Probably the same amount as they pay installing a lock up for the cans for a customer to ask an employee for one to "buy" and then the customer sprays the shelves and sets it down when it isn't the color that they wanted.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Somehow in 3 years, nobody has spray painted our shelves on the paint aisle. The only time I caught someone about to do it, I told them to hold on and I'd get them a piece of cardboard out of the back to test on. It was the color they were looking for and they bought it.

Of course now that I've said that, someones going to spraypaint a dick in the middle of the aisle tomorrow night. :classiclol:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Elmnt80 posted:

Somehow in 3 years, nobody has spray painted our shelves on the paint aisle. The only time I caught someone about to do it, I told them to hold on and I'd get them a piece of cardboard out of the back to test on. It was the color they were looking for and they bought it.

Of course now that I've said that, someones going to spraypaint a dick in the middle of the aisle tomorrow night. :classiclol:

And that someone was you

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

People would spray paint the floor at my Michaels. Like, what the gently caress?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ahaha, put in my two weeks today! gently caress you for giving me a "final" warning when the first two were verbal, gently caress you for telling me "value my experience" but never giving more than 20 hours or loving listening to me about any of the animals!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Not to undermine how good it feels to give the finger to your boss, but if they've been giving you warnings then this is the result they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not to undermine how good it feels to give the finger to your boss, but if they've been giving you warnings then this is the result they wanted.

Oh it's been what they've wanted for a while now regardless of any warnings they gave (verbal warnings don't count and that's all they gave me).