Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
How do people get such nice tags? Is there an image importer somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

duckfarts posted:

How do people get such nice tags? Is there an image importer somewhere?

Apparently this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-QRc6lb-LM

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/972341471570411520

Anyway, this Thunderdome map is amazingly fun. I've enjoyed the last few shifty stations, but this one's on a whole new level.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
First few matches as Egg have gone off to a good start! Go team Egg!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

This is probably my second favourite shifty after CANNONS.

If you have a team who knows how the thunderdomes work, it feels really nice and fulfilling to lock all of the domes and coast to the win.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Another splatfest, time to get teamed with a bunch of mongs with stupid weapons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This shifty Station is rad. Even before considering the transform gimmick it's just a pretty solid map, and the dead end wings mattering because of the containment's is a sweet twist

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve been saying this a lot lately but this Shifty is really good and I’ll miss it when Splatfest is over.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow the "You Lose" jingle for Splatfests is haunting. Hope I never hear it again....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For what it's worth, if anything the recent Shift Stations prove they're not done making new maps; Each has been a general testbed layout to try out various gimmicks from single-player, and it doesn't make sense to do that if they're not going to use them in proper maps.

Take the current one for example with how it's set up;
  • Do multiple containment shields work on separate triggers?
  • Do they trigger properly at set points in the round timer?
  • Can players fudge their way through them somehow?
  • Do the Super Jump pads spawn and work once the shields are down work?
  • Are players able to Super Jump through the shields properly?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Splatfest...on one hand, I have to wear the stupid jersey, so I don't have ninja squid. On the other hand, Ebb and Flow.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For what it's worth, if anything the recent Shift Stations prove they're not done making new maps; Each has been a general testbed layout to try out various gimmicks from single-player, and it doesn't make sense to do that if they're not going to use them in proper maps.

Take the current one for example with how it's set up;
  • Do multiple containment shields work on separate triggers?
  • Do they trigger properly at set points in the round timer?
  • Can players fudge their way through them somehow?
  • Do the Super Jump pads spawn and work once the shields are down work?
  • Are players able to Super Jump through the shields properly?

It's not very likely that these new mechanics are being tested for functionality. After all, it would be a huge blunder if various exploits were available in these maps during the time when everyone is playing. QA testers have already found all that stuff with these maps and made sure that they're all fixed. The REAL tests going on with these maps is just seeing how players enjoy the new mechanics. If players respond well to a specific thing, then I'm sure that the devs will put it into a future map.

Or, all of these things are mechanics that the devs once considered putting into multiplayer maps, but for various reasons decided they wouldn't be a good idea in the long-term. Maybe the mechanics change the experience of the game so much that the map no longer fits into design rules. Maybe the mechanics dictate the game so much that playing on them isn't balanced at all or snowballs easily, especially in ranked matches. Maybe something else entirely. But just because a mechanic doesn't work in the long-term doesn't mean it won't work in the short-term. So maybe the devs were like "hey this thing is fun but wouldn't work in a real map, let's just throw it into a splatfest!"

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

drat it my wired connection keeps on crapping out, I'm not sure if it's my adapter or not. :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's not very likely that these new mechanics are being tested for functionality. After all, it would be a huge blunder if various exploits were available in these maps during the time when everyone is playing. QA testers have already found all that stuff with these maps and made sure that they're all fixed. The REAL tests going on with these maps is just seeing how players enjoy the new mechanics. If players respond well to a specific thing, then I'm sure that the devs will put it into a future map.

Or, all of these things are mechanics that the devs once considered putting into multiplayer maps, but for various reasons decided they wouldn't be a good idea in the long-term. Maybe the mechanics change the experience of the game so much that the map no longer fits into design rules. Maybe the mechanics dictate the game so much that playing on them isn't balanced at all or snowballs easily, especially in ranked matches. Maybe something else entirely. But just because a mechanic doesn't work in the long-term doesn't mean it won't work in the short-term. So maybe the devs were like "hey this thing is fun but wouldn't work in a real map, let's just throw it into a splatfest!"

Not really. The way they're laid out hasn't been just "this is fun", it's very much "is this functional?" in a way you only ever see in development testing; Generic asset collection that can be snap-fitted together quickly, new elements laid out to do their thing separately in different combinations to make sure they behave. Throw players in enmasse to stress-test.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Man, I'm having a really tough time with this game. It feels like for every game I get into, I spend 5 to 10 minutes listening to the worst song in the game as people dip into and out of the player list until I get an error message. Is that usual? On the off-chance I actually get into a game, I'm already on tilt from waiting so long so I have a tough time getting into the groove of it. I'm really bad at multiplayer shooters, so that probably doesn't help. I evenr bought an ethernet cable adapter for my Switch hoping that it would help, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I guess at least the single-player campaign was really good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Might be home connection or ISP or router settings, maybe? I'm on the cheapest-rear end connection I can buy from Cox in Phoenix/Mesa ($30/month 10mbps) and I use wireless through an old-rear end dlink router running Tomato and I can count the disconnects/errors I've had on literally one hand. And most of those were on Christmas day so I can believe that it was Nintendo's servers or something choking under load.

I usually end up playing with a lot of JP players and it seems just fine.

I know that a lot of people complain about the netcode or something, to the point it has become a meme in certain corners of the fan sites. However, I wonder if it has something to do with modern router NAT or other settings mucking things up, because I can't believe how steady it has been for me. Currently I'm in a 1970's apartment, and previously I was in a new development house 30 miles across town and it all still seems just fine. Regional?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 10, 2018

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I only get 1 or two bars 2 floors above my router and I havn't had any connections issues at all?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
that's definitely unusual, I've only gotten really long matchmaking waits like that doing League Mode on weird hours when there's an extremely low playerbase. I assume you're just queuing up for Turf War right? you shouldn't have matchmaking problems

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

It's not that I disconnect or have trouble once I'm in a game, it just takes a long-rear end time to find a game. It's honestly more frustrating that the timer in the corner gets 20 seconds added to it arbitrarily over and over, I wish it would fail sooner if it's going to fail.

It seems to actually work better in handheld mode now that I've set up a tunnel for it in my router. Which sucks, because I'd much rather be using the motion aiming with disconnected joycons.

Edit: TBF, it gets much worse during these splatfests, it's not too bad when it's just regular turf war. I figured it'd be faster during splatfests since there'd be more people playing, but nah.

Trick Question fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 10, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Might be home connection or ISP or router settings, maybe? I'm on the cheapest-rear end connection I can buy from Cox in Phoenix/Mesa ($30/month 10mbps) and I use wireless through an old-rear end dlink router running Tomato and I can count the disconnects/errors I've had on literally one hand. And most of those were on Christmas day so I can believe that it was Nintendo's servers or something choking under load.

I usually end up playing with a lot of JP players and it seems just fine.

I know that a lot of people complain about the netcode or something, to the point it has become a meme in certain corners of the fan sites. However, I wonder if it has something to do with modern router NAT or other settings mucking things up, because I can't believe how steady it has been for me. Currently I'm in a 1970's apartment, and previously I was in a new development house 30 miles across town and it all still seems just fine. Regional?

With peer to peer connections whoever has the worst connection has the best playing experience. It seems great to you because you're probably lagging around the playfield like a maniac for everybody else

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's why I specifically don't use the lan adapter for this game because it actually makes games worse to play

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Made it t Egg Queen on 18 wins and 17 losses.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trick Question posted:

Is that usual?

No

Unless you are on poo poo internet.

It happens occasionally, but it's rare. A bit more common during splatfest, probably.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

In Training posted:

With peer to peer connections whoever has the worst connection has the best playing experience. It seems great to you because you're probably lagging around the playfield like a maniac for everybody else

Not the same argument (and also not true depending on the netcode and what is given preference). We're talking about disconnects and errors, not play quality. A lot of people attribute disconnects to purely a speed thing, and my example is showing it's not. I'm finishing games with other players in the lobby - if my lovely internet were to cause them to disconnect (:psyduck:), then I'd end a lot of games alone. Which is why I mentioned that maybe it's a regional thing or there may be a hardware issue with the specific modem/router OP has, or another problem. Either way his/her experience is not typical.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 10, 2018

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Splatfest is not only trying to match teammates of a similar power level and find full teams of both at closish levels it is also trying to spread the weapon balance out. Shoot almost forgot it is doing regional over world as I rarely see Japanese players anymore. Even at 0000 PST.

Plainly its got a hard limit where it goes gently caress it and off we go. So yeah makes sense to me it takes longer right now.

Sucks but I way prefer the results over waiting less time.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/rxrm80/status/972521220758323200

Well, this was a more or less a painless Splatfest. Time for a well deserved break.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want white hair all the time

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah, i'm what you might call an Egg Fangirl

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Lots of Egg vs Egg matches. Unsurprisingly I guess since they did one that just...has an answer.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest schedules :siren:

• AU/NZ Chicken vs. Egg @ March 10th 13:00 AET
  • US Chicken vs. Egg @ March 9th 20:00 PT / 23:00 ET
  • EU Chicken vs. Egg @ March 10th 15:00 CET

All Splatfests last for 24 hours.

Morning Australia, you still have 7 hours to play.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Are they going to pool the results across every region again?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

EightFlyingCars posted:

Are they going to pool the results across every region again?

Good question. From the looks of it, yes, so the final result should come out an hour or two after Europe finishes theirs.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I went 18-15 for team Egg which I guess is positive but it felt like most of the time my team was a bunch of idiots who had no idea how to play. I love the Shifty Station though, it is awesome and you feel like the biggest bad rear end when you win Thunderdome

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Saint Freak posted:

Lots of Egg vs Egg matches. Unsurprisingly I guess since they did one that just...has an answer.

I haven't seen egg v egg yet but maybe I'm just lucky.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Squeezer? I haven't touched the game in a while and I kinda want to try something besides my trusty Brella. Was the Tentabrella any good?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

bizarre deformity posted:

I went 18-15 for team Egg which I guess is positive but it felt like most of the time my team was a bunch of idiots who had no idea how to play. I love the Shifty Station though, it is awesome and you feel like the biggest bad rear end when you win Thunderdome

Next Splatfest, hop on the discord and group up with goons, I had a blast and I never wanna do solo Splatfests ever again.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

This Splatfest is awesome, I'm seeing myself tangibly improving at this game since last month.

Money vs love I was barely breaking 1900 power at 50% winrate, now I'm at 2110 power and 20-8 W/L. :peanut:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Holy poo poo I loving hate musselforge so much. Love having to assault a hill where all avenues of attack can be easily covered by two people.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Finished up egg king at 1922 or so, and getting like 7-9 points per win is so much more satisfying then getting 5 or so slumming it in the crap levels where I usually am, because I am bad at Splatoon 2.

e: none of my matches were egg v egg but there was a noticeably longer time waiting in matchmaking for team chicken than for team egg bros.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 11, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Fwiw I've played egg v egg three times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This may be the first splatfest I keep playing at queen because I like the shift station so much