Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Oh gods, don't look at those fan sets. It's worse than looking in the arc of the covenant.

Pretend I posted one of them Eddie Murphy memes that says "They can't melt my face if I don't understand what I'm looking at."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So in UFC 3 Career Mode what exactly are you supposed to do when the difficulty shoots up by an insane amount? I just beat my second or third rival and am on I think my 3rd UFC contract now and all of a sudden all my opponents have higher stats than me by a ridiculous margin, like it's not even close. My fighter is kind of geared to a ground game but the opponents transitions are just lightning quick with a really short window to deny them which I usually miss because I'm trying my own transition to get out of the Full Beatdown position that I am all of a sudden finding myself in.

Is this just where I'm all of a sudden hitting a huge wall because I don't actually know the first thing about UFC and the difference between any of the grabs/holds/positions? Or is there some secret thing I can do that I can all of a sudden get mad stat boosts?

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

shortspecialbus posted:

So in UFC 3 Career Mode what exactly are you supposed to do when the difficulty shoots up by an insane amount? I just beat my second or third rival and am on I think my 3rd UFC contract now and all of a sudden all my opponents have higher stats than me by a ridiculous margin, like it's not even close. My fighter is kind of geared to a ground game but the opponents transitions are just lightning quick with a really short window to deny them which I usually miss because I'm trying my own transition to get out of the Full Beatdown position that I am all of a sudden finding myself in.

Is this just where I'm all of a sudden hitting a huge wall because I don't actually know the first thing about UFC and the difference between any of the grabs/holds/positions? Or is there some secret thing I can do that I can all of a sudden get mad stat boosts?

I have not played 3 yet but this is exactly how 2's career mode went regarding the huge stat disparities once you start facing name competition

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

So is there a solution, so to speak, for it? Or is this just how it is and it stays this way and I'm consistently going to be wildly out-statted from here on out?

If so, OK I guess, and I'll just deal with it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

So is there a solution, so to speak, for it? Or is this just how it is and it stays this way and I'm consistently going to be wildly out-statted from here on out?

Have you considered micro transactions.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

shortspecialbus posted:

For UFC 2 it was lose, train more, and eventually get comparable stats. Until you come up against the elite guys like Bones Jones who are now 100 overall. Then I lost until retirement.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the retirement mechanic, while realistic, does seem like it creates a death spiral.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
3 is actually worse because if you lose too often, Dana won't offer you a new contract and you game over even if you have plenty of longevity meter left.

The key, I feel, is pick fights with long camps and focus on buffing your stats first before grabbing new moves or sparring. Once you're comfortably in the 90s, you can grab new things whenever you like.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ok, that makes sense in its own way. Thanks for the advice, I'd been focusing more on moves (that I promptly forget how to execute). I also really need to up my punching stats, I've ignored those so far. Ground pound seems really effective early on though.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Raw Deal talk: I had a lot of fun playing Raw Deal but my god was the design all over the place. I won a tournament once simply because I brought a completely broken deck (Edge + Fans Love An Underdog + I'm the Underdog!) and nobody thought to have the counter card on-hand.

Y'see, for some reason, the designers were allergic to ban or restricted lists and instead just published specific counters for broken cards. Forget to bring that counter card to your opponent's completely broken strategy? Out of luck. In this particular case, the card combination I had allowed me to make it practically impossible for my opponents to stop me and end my turn early in the game, and I would get on absurd rolls where my opponent never got a turn. I'm pretty sure I retired that deck afterward just because it wasn't fun to play against.

I really enjoyed Raw Deal play a lot though, and wish there were still something like it around. The fan sets just don't cut it.

Edit: I have to admit playing that deck one time was pretty great. See, Edge's starting hand size was equal to twice the opponent's Superstar Value. I'm the Underdog! raised the opponent's Superstar Value by the number of Fans Love an Underdog cards you had played during the pre-game phase. Evolution had a Superstar Value of 10. My opponent stared in horror as I drew a 26-card opening hand, assuring that I had whatever card I would need to stop his first turn cold, *and* the tools to make sure he wouldn't be able to stop me from playing whatever I wanted when my turn came around. The final keystone was the Edge-specific card Never Gonna Stop Me,which reads, "When this card is in your ring area, on your opponent's turn, before his Draw Segment, you can discard 3 cards and end your opponent's turn." So once I got going, the other guy wasn't getting any turns. Like I said, broken as hell and not fun to play against, but pulling it out that one time was pretty entertaining.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 27, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

unimportantguy posted:

Y'see, for some reason, the designers were allergic to ban or restricted lists and instead just published specific counters for broken cards.

In this case 'some reason' involved a very vocal fanbase constituent that considered the notion of a banlist to be an utter betrayal.
In the early 2000's, people were still pissed at the notion of m:tg's rotating legality. Those people found alternate card games, Raw Deal being one of them. Those people then hunkered down and loudly insisted that cards never rotate out.

But yeah, here's a basic flowchart of Raw Deal design.

1) Make bullshit.
2) Silver bullet bullshit.
3) Make even worse bullshit.
4) repeat until you wind up with Andre the Giant.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was the Star Wars CCG's response too, instead of banning cards they'd make "magic bullet" cards that hosed them over, in a game that was already really heavy with cards that only mattered in combination with specific other cards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah 90's CCGs kinda sucked. I'm not sure when Magic came up with a seasonal system to avoid Bullshit Decks That Ruin Every Event. Pretty early on I imagine.

Only real rule in the ol Decipher Star Wars CCG was to kill Jek Porkins as soon as he hit the table.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I miss MLB Showdown

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/RocketLeague/status/968177488273670145

tldr; In-game cosmetic tat being revealed in April and released throughout the year.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 27, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah 90's CCGs kinda sucked. I'm not sure when Magic came up with a seasonal system to avoid Bullshit Decks That Ruin Every Event. Pretty early on I imagine.

Only real rule in the ol Decipher Star Wars CCG was to kill Jek Porkins as soon as he hit the table.

January 10, 1995. Way earlier than I thought and less than 2 years after the game's inception.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

https://twitter.com/RocketLeague/status/968177488273670145

tldr; In-game cosmetic tat being revealed in April and released throughout the year.

Soooo... Xavier's gonna be set up in the lobby of Axess playing fans then?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anymore FPW news? Haven't seen any in this thread for yonks.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

simosimo posted:

Anymore FPW news? Haven't seen any in this thread for yonks.

last news was that the booking dlc was pushed back because it wasn't up to their standards and patches are on hold as all team members are working on that mode.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is there a Death of the Territories mod for TEW2010? Or even better a way converting an 05 database to 10?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Rarity posted:

Is there a Death of the Territories mod for TEW2010? Or even better a way converting an 05 database to 10?

To convert the 05 to 10, you’d have to convert in steps.
05 or Wrestling Spirit 2 -> 07
07 -> 08
08 -> 10

This can be done with the demo versions of the appropriate games, though given three different conversions I’m not sure the final result would be accurate or playable given the changes through four versions. But this would be to my knowledge the only way to convert it from 05 to 10.

The guy behind DOTT never officially made a TEW10 mod for it, as well. A few of the forum regulars worked on it back in the day but all the links I’ve hunted down are dead.

(Yeah, I went back to the GDS site that I used to frequent and checked the demos to see what was possible when searching the forums failed.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/DeathByLariato/status/969247506898046977

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

I wanted to come up with some kind of coherent response to this but all that comes to mind is :vince:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay does 2k18 seriously not have a standard Atomic Drop

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay does 2k18 seriously not have a standard Atomic Drop

It's not all that surprising since nobody has used an atomic drop in like, 20 years.
(of course that didn't stop them from putting various Tiger Drivers in)

So, my 2000 TEW game was somewhat sparse. It was clearly designed to be a US only mod (even though it had all the big Japanese stars just sitting around not doing anything because NJPW/AJPW doesn't exist) so I decide to import a bunch of data from the Montreal Aftermath 97 mod. Including workers. This has lead to a bit of a problem. The importer won't import workers that have the same name as an existing worker. But sometimes different databases use different names for the same worker. Like one might have The Big Show, and the other might have him listed as Paul Wight. So now I have to deal with a bunch of clone wrestlers in the game world (notable examples are Steven/William Regal, Edge/Adam Copeland, Taz/Tazz, the aforementioned Big Show/Paul Wight). When I find these workers, I usually edit the imposter so they're 80+ years old and out of the business since the editor won't let me kill them outright. Unfortunately the list is huge and I miss a lot of them. So right now the WWF has both The Big Show and Paul Wight working for them.

Oh, and since I imported a 97 mod, I have Owen Hart, Louie Spicolli and The Renegade alive and well in the game world. Owen Hart is exactly what WCW needs right now but I think that would really be cheating.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

It's not all that surprising since nobody has used an atomic drop in like, 20 years.

Yeah but they have the Hat Trick Atomic Drop (and I kinda hate the 3-times moves in games because they just mean a way longer animation) and the Inverted so it seems like a weird omission.

Also I like that they have a "group images" thing for custom logos and the like but you can't use letters. For some reason.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

So right now the WWF has both The Big Show and Paul Wight working for them.
:russo:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

So, my 2000 TEW game was somewhat sparse. It was clearly designed to be a US only mod (even though it had all the big Japanese stars just sitting around not doing anything because NJPW/AJPW doesn't exist) so I decide to import a bunch of data from the Montreal Aftermath 97 mod. Including workers. This has lead to a bit of a problem. The importer won't import workers that have the same name as an existing worker. But sometimes different databases use different names for the same worker. Like one might have The Big Show, and the other might have him listed as Paul Wight. So now I have to deal with a bunch of clone wrestlers in the game world (notable examples are Steven/William Regal, Edge/Adam Copeland, Taz/Tazz, the aforementioned Big Show/Paul Wight). When I find these workers, I usually edit the imposter so they're 80+ years old and out of the business since the editor won't let me kill them outright. Unfortunately the list is huge and I miss a lot of them. So right now the WWF has both The Big Show and Paul Wight working for them.

Oh, and since I imported a 97 mod, I have Owen Hart, Louie Spicolli and The Renegade alive and well in the game world. Owen Hart is exactly what WCW needs right now but I think that would really be cheating.

I thought you could set wrestlers to 'Deceased' in the editor? If not, if you set them to "out of the business," they won't be hireable by anyone or be used by anyone they have an active contract with..

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So after extensive retrying and experimentation, I finally managed to run a card in TEW that got more than an E. Unfortunately, the major factor in achieving that was bumping all of my production way the hell up, because apparently my brand new company has all these rivals that can somehow afford professional stuff in every category. So I lost about $45,000 on that one single show. If I run it without pouring all that cash into production, it bombs and I lose popularity. Not sure what I'm really meant to do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ShootaBoy posted:

So after extensive retrying and experimentation, I finally managed to run a card in TEW that got more than an E. Unfortunately, the major factor in achieving that was bumping all of my production way the hell up, because apparently my brand new company has all these rivals that can somehow afford professional stuff in every category. So I lost about $45,000 on that one single show. If I run it without pouring all that cash into production, it bombs and I lose popularity. Not sure what I'm really meant to do.

Well the first thing to point out is that depending on what version of TEW you're playing, you simply can't get an A unless you're a National/Global/International promotion. So don't worry about that. Your goal isn't actually to get an A, its to get higher ratings then you have in that region. To that end using numbers over letters helps figure it out.

The second thing would be to check your Product Settings to make sure they're set for your booking approach. If they're set to draw fans who want to see huge stars and you're putting out wrestling clinics with low popularity then you're going to piss them off. It won't matter how good the matches are if you're not drawing fans who want to see what you're booking. Its possible this is the bulk of your problem, but impossible to know from this perspective.

Its also helpful to know the "perfect show" rule which basically says that your best matches should be the opener, second to last match, and main event. The rest of the show you should try and not let anything peak or sink too low or you could kill your crowd. This is the sort of stuff that you can only really figure out through reading the Road Agent notes on your shows.

Production cost is a tough one if you need it to compete with rivals but can't afford it. You can try and cut costs down by signing written talent instead of per appearance, but you might not be big enough for that or you might not be running more than 1 show a month (in which case it won't help).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ShootaBoy posted:

1) Are you using a mod, and if so which one?
2) What/How big is your company to start?

Takuan posted:

I thought you could set wrestlers to 'Deceased' in the editor? If not, if you set them to "out of the business," they won't be hireable by anyone or be used by anyone they have an active contract with..

Not the in-game editor you need to use to make adjustments to an in progress game.
Now HHH and "Paul Wight" are WWF tag team champions, despite "Paul Wight" being 89 years old and retired. I guess I'll have to go back and set him to 'out of the business'. It's sort of cheating, but then again so isn't vat growing a second Big Show.

I can't bring myself to effectively ruin Owen's second chance. But I can't hire him either. So I decided to shortlist both Owen and Bret (the mod begins a few weeks before Bret's retirement but since the game wouldn't simulate Bret's retirement I set him to 'retired' before the game began. Then he came out of the retirement). They can work anywhere they want except WWF. If WWF tries to sign them I'll sign them myself. So now they're both working for AAA.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 11, 2018

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

STAC Goat posted:

Well the first thing to point out is that depending on what version of TEW you're playing, you simply can't get an A unless you're a National/Global/International promotion. So don't worry about that. Your goal isn't actually to get an A, its to get higher ratings then you have in that region. To that end using numbers over letters helps figure it out.

The second thing would be to check your Product Settings to make sure they're set for your booking approach. If they're set to draw fans who want to see huge stars and you're putting out wrestling clinics with low popularity then you're going to piss them off. It won't matter how good the matches are if you're not drawing fans who want to see what you're booking. Its possible this is the bulk of your problem, but impossible to know from this perspective.

Production cost is a tough one if you need it to compete with rivals but can't afford it. You can try and cut costs down by signing written talent instead of per appearance, but you might not be big enough for that or you might not be running more than 1 show a month (in which case it won't help).

ChrisBTY posted:

1) Are you using a mod, and if so which one?
2) What/How big is your company to start?

Wasn't ever aiming for an A* match, just trying to find something that didn't cause me to lose popularity in my first ever show. I eventually got the matches mostly down for my straight Modern Puro product, but without going up to high quality production values, professional event staff, in house broadcast, and licensed music the show bombs because my rivals are all better in those areas, according to the game. Somehow they can afford all that as a Small company. I'm running a 2006 database so I can sit at a point where I know some of the names, but not absolutely everyone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ShootaBoy posted:

Wasn't ever aiming for an A* match, just trying to find something that didn't cause me to lose popularity in my first ever show. I eventually got the matches mostly down for my straight Modern Puro product, but without going up to high quality production values, professional event staff, in house broadcast, and licensed music the show bombs because my rivals are all better in those areas, according to the game. Somehow they can afford all that as a Small company. I'm running a 2006 database so I can sit at a point where I know some of the names, but not absolutely everyone.

I gotta admit, its been a long time since I played a promotion that low. Back when I did I was always under the impression that Regional Battles didn't hurt as much since I wasn't in more than a couple of regions anyway. The goal was always to just build up in 1 or 2 regions and try and grow until I got to regional or cult. Usually that meant hiring a bunch of unknown talent at cheap costs and building them up over time. Once I jumped up I could start bringing in some "name" stars and trying for TV.

At that level you definitely shouldn't need to be licensing music spending that much on production, I don't think. Its a tough break (or bad mod design) if you're in one region with a bunch of companies who inexplicably can, but unless they have massive banks that should be hurting them the same way its hurting you financially. Even then its possible you might have to eat losses for a few months before you can really get on your feet. It was pretty standard back when I was playing smaller promotions that I'd run in the red for a few months before turning things around.

Or hell, if the other small promotions are doing THAT well if you can weather the hit for a few months it seems like they'll grow past you and end the regional battles. I think? Like I said, its been awhile since I played at that level. But if you're getting outclassed that much at that level it seems like it shouldn't last for very long before something gives one way or another. Either the other companies go bankrupt or they grow past you. Which might hurt but your only concern should be your own finances (and you can always cheat and feed yourself some money if things are bad).

The other thing is that... its just really, really hard to start a promotion from scratch and not fail. Unless you give yourself a ton of money and prestige and stuff to start.

Screenshots of your Show Rating or Product Details or other summary screens would probably paint a clearer picture.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ShootaBoy posted:

Wait? Where did you get a 2006 database?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

The final results of like, 2 hours or so of rebooking this show and fiddling.

My product is literally just the Modern Puro Resu preset.

Like I said, as far as I can tell it's all down to these huge production values, anything less and the show did worse and lost popularity. I was never really intending to go anywhere with this particular game, it was mostly just there to figure out how to book a non poo poo card, and I'd feel somewhat confident in that if it weren't for this production curveball.

edit:

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait? Where did you get a 2006 database?

GDS forums. I had been using a 2005 one from somebody, but that got broken by the last TEW update and it hasn't been fixed.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

is it a converted 2013 database?
Also, show us a screenshot of the 'view rivals' tab under 'production' just so we know how many rivals you have.
Also: Certain product definitions work better in certain regions of the world. Modern Puro Resu probably isn't going to be that popular in the states.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ShootaBoy posted:

The final results of like, 2 hours or so of rebooking this show and fiddling.

Well the question would more be what's written directly under this. If it gives you direct notes on why your show failed than those can be more directly addressed. You keep saying that you're getting screwed for production values and your shows are bombing, so wherever that's being written out would give more clues.

If your shows are fine and it really does come down to just production costs then I really do think its a case of a poor database design. I really don't think you shouldn't be getting killed for not running professional production at the Small level. But that stuff can get messed up from poor mod designs or converted mods.

That or, like I said, you just gotta lose money for a few months before you grow big enough to make money or your rivals grow beyond you. Losing a regional battle in Month 1 isn't actually inherently something you can change. This isn't the sort of game where you win every level.

edit: My gut also says that you're spending a lot of money for that roster at the "Small" level. But I don't know how over those guys are in your year/database.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Not a converted database, not entirely done, but I haven't seen anything massively out of place other than missing bios on some dudes, and possibly this production stuff. Here it is if you're curious.

I don't have the post show notes since I let it advance since I was glad to finally have got something that didn't lose popularity. But if I didn't match the highest production out of all my rivals, it flat out told me that my show was brought down by rivals having better production. I'll flip them back down and run another show to get that as a screenshot.

edit because I forgot: Not super over paying on the roster I don't think. More than I should, but I wanted some guaranteed good dudes for testing. Highest paid is Devitt at $700 a show, most are in the 200-400 range.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 12, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You don't have to re-run it for the post show notes. I was just unsure if you were being hit there or in separate Rivalry note.

Like I said, if its really just the production costs then I think you're just stuck eating losses until you get big enough to turn a profit and/or whatever rivals that are messing with you move up to Regional (or go bankrupt because the AI is spending too much money too) and stop being your basis for comparison. Either you decide to lose the money to compete or decide to lose the popularity and save the money. Either way its a waiting game.

Honestly, these kind of problems are why I tend not to play promotions lower than Cult so I can do my share of spending and feel like I'm getting a return for it. Doing Cult or lower means lots of money losses and setbacks in my experience. Wrestling promoting is a tough business.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, grabbed the mod. Poked around a bit.
There is absolutely no way PWG and IWA-MS arn't going to lose gobloads of money. I guess if you wanted to book this for real you'd just focus on keeping overhead low and staying in the black until those two companies go bankrupt. AI controlled indie feds love to crash and burn.
If you're trying to figure out how to put on a successful show. Try another mod or another company.