Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

The season has been okay to good so far, but episode 7 is really, really dragging for me.

I'm in the same spot. Holy poo poo this episode took the season right off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I kinda liked the season. I could see how if you went into it as a regular superhero show, you'd be disappointed by the lack of a clearcut villain, but this season was pretty clearly about the hosed up lives of Jessica and those in her circle, and how despite their best efforts there is no clean way to fix it, just finding a way to move on.

It was also nice for once to have a superhero story where the superhero doesn't get to personally decide how justice is served to the "villain", and everyone else just abides by that.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 10, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TMMadman posted:

I agree with this post, especially the last line. I enjoyed the season on the whole.

Trish's mom is the best. There's a genuine love for her daughter kicking around in her skull, but her brain is so broke that she doesn't understand the difference between love, vicarious obsession, and self-serving manipulation. She's such a horrible mess of a person that it's impossible for her to have a non-abusive relationship with another human.

She reads as one of the most genuine characters in the show; the kind of villain you run into far too often in real life.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

As bitter as the situation between Jessica and both Trish and Malcolm becomes by the end of the season, I still very much appreciate the fact that the friend Jessica has now is one she chose rather than one the situation of her life pushed her towards, and as much as I want her to reconcile with Trish and Malcolm, it's her new found relationship with Oscar that has the potential for some actual healing on Jessica's part. It's not as good as season 1, but it is both even, and does a tremendous job of approaching and examining the characters individual psychological issues. Plus there is a bunch more of Trish's awful loving mother to hate.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Holy crap, I really don't care about Jessica's mother. I'm on episode 8 and all I can think of is how Agents of Shield did the Sky-Daisy parent storyline than Jessica's origin/family.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I liked the pacing of this season as compared to season one, which dragged to the point that I remembered it as having 18 episodes.

What are the odds this gets a third season? After Defenders not getting renewed, it seems like they might have lost the justification for these series, especially since Iron Fist sucked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How did Marvel’s Netflix stuff go from Daredevil’s fantastic heights to being AoS S1 but worse?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Daredevil season 1 was like the only one with an actual quality, proven showrunner.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just finished the season. I liked it. Didn't like Oscar though. Took away screen time that could have went to Luke Cage. Luke+Jessica 4eva :colbert:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I never watched the Defenders, but I assume there’s a depressing reason he never got back with Jessica.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, he’s just with Claire now.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Claire can get with Oscar; they're both boring and normal.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaunab posted:

How dare you refer to Rosario Dawson that way.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Rosario Dawson is awesome. The character Claire on the other hand is boring.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
At least The Punisher was actually good

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gaunab posted:

Rosario Dawson is awesome. The character Claire on the other hand is boring.

:agreed:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I need a compilation of all the door knocking that appears in this season on YouTube, stat.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I'd rather a compilation of Jessica breaking door locks by turning knobs really hard.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Cran posted:

I'd rather a compilation of Jessica breaking door locks by turning knobs really hard.

¿Por que no los dos?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Nearing the end of episode 11. I wasn't going to binge it, but I honestly wanted to stop watching after 3 episodes and then remembered I somehow didn't kill myself after the underpants stain that was Iron Fist. So giving in to my masochistic tendencies I left it playing in the background.

Anyway, I thought the first 9 eps were mostly filler and somewhere in the midst of 10 and 11 the show decided to be interesting finally. The next two episodes better not build up to a wet fart.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
This whole season felt like treading water sarcastically. The Netflix Marvel universe has fallen off a cliff quality wise.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Quote is not edit.

Credits rolling on ep13, I got bored and played Borderlands 2 while it closed out. Conclusion: Wet fart finale.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
I liked S2. S1 was better for having David Tennant, but this was okay even if Kilgrave appeared in just that one episode.

Full season spoilers below!

I guess this season can be resumed by "Jessica doesn't like the guy her mom re-married to, and blames him for her mom being more desinhibited!" :v:

The villain was kind of a low-burn for me, but I think it worked in how the season has Jessica having to confront her past, and see things for how they really are, instead of just ignoring it/justify it. That the villain turned out to be her mom is a good reflection of this: before that revelation, she just saw a psycho-killer, but after finding out she starts to come up with ways to excuse her behavior: being manipulated by Malus, having brain damage, that the treatment did something to her. It takes her being a first-hand witness to her behavior to start realizing that there won't be a clean and easy solution to this problem.

I also liked that it showed how people tend to use bad events in their lives to try and justify their lovely behaviors: Jessica has anger issues, and keeps saying that it is all because of Kilgrave/the experiments, but instead of trying to work through it, she just shrugs and pours herself another shot. It takes seeing her mom go through the same process, justifying her acts by blaming others to start realizing that the way she acts is not just due to past trauma, and that that is not an excuse for doing bad things.

It also applies to Trish trying to justify her drug use/seeking superpowers because she wants to help people, using her noble motives the same way Jessica uses her horrible past, to not see how bad her behavior is.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I like how Oscar had mason jars with handles to drink out of and has sex on paint covered drop sheets because he's an artist.

Speaking of Oscar, what happened to the other maintenance man who was supposed to be chill and good? Like the previous poster I kinda just had this on in the background and maybe missed it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I’m three episodes in. I keep making references to these being soap operas and this is the most soap opera-ish one yet. This has to be way cheaper to produce than all of the other ones.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I just watched the first ep of the 2nd season and this poo poo is pretty dour and boring. Does it get good?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I just watched the first ep of the 2nd season and this poo poo is pretty dour and boring. Does it get good?

It has some nice points here and there but for the most part the season is extremely unfocused.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Gargamel Gibson posted:

A large drop in quality compared to either S1 or The Punisher and a massive leap in quality compared to The Defenders

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't get how The Punisher manged to be a fresh breeze for then JJ S2 to drop and having all the problems these shows have had for years and then some.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's very little crossover in production. They're pretty much independent shows.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

There's very little crossover in production. They're pretty much independent shows.

And yet DD, Luke Cage, Defenders, JJ and Iron Fist all have overlapping problems.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Too many episodes per season is 100% of the problem with these shows. The voiceovers in Jessica Jones have also never added anything.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

business hammocks posted:

Too many episodes per season is 100% of the problem with these shows. The voiceovers in Jessica Jones have also never added anything.

No it's not, they're just not plotted well.

I don't think the v/o is terribly well-written, though that's a separate issue.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Nah, it's the padded length. Strains the budget and dilutes the plot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not how budgeting works for this at all.

business hammocks posted:

This terrible storyline wouldn't have been any better shorter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

First off, to my knowledge TV shows are generally budgeted per-episode.

Second, the solution is to write a plot that fits the format better, not just make it short. I see what they were going for with this season, I just think there are a lot of weird narrative dead ends. Hogarth's plot I actually thought was really good but felt really disconnected, and then there's poo poo that just disappears entirely from the story with no proper resolution like Malcolm using the inhaler and Trish's boyfriend. The problem with season 2 is mainly that it feels very disjointed and isn't terribly cohesive; there are undeniably compelling ideas and throughlines, but it's kind of a mess generally.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Agree that the length in and of itself is the issue at all. DD, Punisher and JJ were the same length as the others and were pretty great in my book.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Honestly besides Trish and Malcolm the most disappointing thing to me is that it was 100% white feminism again.

Of 3 black women on the show 1 was a hooker/drug dealer, 1 was Trish's addict/maybe dealer friend, and the third was mean cop who got like no lines and loving got murdered. Oh yeah there was nice prison lady but she got maybe murdered too?? Oh right and Malcolm slept with some black girls on tinder I guess.

There was one Latina was there just to be crazy, mean and give Oscar something to do. Trish's producer was Asian but she had no lines.

Luke's wife was never mentioned, even though she went through the same experiments. Despite all the guilt Jessica seems to feel about killing it's weird there's not even a mention of the very first person she killed.

The women of color on this show are all props or plot devices and it was really, really glaring. The lack of intersectionality is made worse when the theme of the season is anger.

Costa could've been replaced with Misty and improved the story 100%.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Honestly besides Trish and Malcolm the most disappointing thing to me is that it was 100% white feminism again.

Of 3 black women on the show 1 was a hooker/drug dealer, 1 was Trish's addict/maybe dealer friend, and the third was mean cop who got like no lines and loving got murdered. Oh yeah there was nice prison lady but she got maybe murdered too?? Oh right and Malcolm slept with some black girls on tinder I guess.

There was one Latina was there just to be crazy, mean and give Oscar something to do. Trish's producer was Asian but she had no lines.

Luke's wife was never mentioned, even though she went through the same experiments. Despite all the guilt Jessica seems to feel about killing it's weird there's not even a mention of the very first person she killed.

The women of color on this show are all props or plot devices and it was really, really glaring. The lack of intersectionality is made worse when the theme of the season is anger.

Costa could've been replaced with Misty and improved the story 100%.

Weren’t all the kids in those videos from season one part of the same experiments? I have not watched Defenders or season two of Daredevil, but that seems like a Jessica Jones thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reva was not part of the IGH experiments, where did you get that from?