Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

She's part of the refreshing wave of young sports pundits who understand that sports are ridiculous.

So she's this generation's Sports Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

Except actually funny and not up her own rear end

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

Bill Simmons takes himself and Boston sports way too seriously to make this comparison.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Oh no the meme is self aware.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Except actually funny and not up her own rear end

So was Simmons once upon a time.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

iospace posted:

(they'd go to a couple of the major races though, such as Monaco and Monza)

the races that the NBC team actually went to were US, Canada, Mexico*, and Monaco. Those are also the races they aired live on NBC as opposed to NBCSN/CNBC/MSNBC.

*Brazil before Mexico was on the calendar

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

exploded mummy posted:

So was Simmons once upon a time.

Go read an old Page 2 Simmons column sometime. If anything he was a worse writer back in the day

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Go read an old Page 2 Simmons column sometime. If anything he was a worse writer back in the day

For reference....

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/subject/archive

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this is an interesting development

https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/status/972132076374953984

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Huh. World Wide or US only?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Katie Nolan owns if only because she doesn’t let her fandom of Boston teams completely color every opinion she has. If she didn’t say she was a Sox fan I wouldn’t have even guessed it

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
How am I supposed to watch baseball at work now?????

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Perhaps it’s telling I most connected with Bill Simmons writing when he did page 2. Also I was 15.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Everyone connected with Bill Simmons writing when he did page 2. Thats why he's massively successful.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I poo poo on him nonstop here but I was a big time Simmons fan between 2003-2010 (maybe even later). I think one thing that isn't captured in re-reading those page2 articles is how vibrant and energetic his writing style felt compared to the stuff out there. Now every writer adopts a more conversational style* so those older articles just seem bro-y and stupid but when the other options I had access to at 17 were long form SI or very dry gamestory/columns it made a big difference.

I think the last five years has shown Simmons to be a massive tool, and the generation of writers who emerged online over the past ten years put him to shame. But his early stuff was so appealing (at least to younger men 17-25) because of its affect and not necessarily because its content was so interesting.

* I'm not saying he caused this shift or influenced all these people to be like this, even though he's clearly the most successful/popular out of the bunch. Lots of Gen Xers in early to mid 2000s were doing the same thing. If anything the basketball bloggers during that period were equally influential in bridging the gap between the growing interest in analytics and more literary-influenced sports criticism.

BWV fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 10, 2018

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Yeah they're nothing special now but at the time it felt like a revelation to hear about D-Boz, Skaggs, and Beanbag all watching wrestlemania with our man B Simms because your only other option was a 400 year old man complaining about people disrespeting the game and the whole thing is written in single sentence paragraphs.

For additional focus at what the writer feels are strong points but when taken out of the context of a tiny width newspaper column and put online instead just makes it clear that the writer doesn't have anything to say.

And is spacing everything out like the article version of loving with the margins on your history paper.

But Not Bill Simmons.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The best guy on page 2 always was and will always be DJ Gallo, and the fact that Simmons got like two TV shows and three different online outlets while SportsPickle never became as big as The Onion is a travesty of the highest order

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I won't dispute that he was different and influencial but he can be those things and also be really loving bad

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The best guy on page 2 always was and will always be DJ Gallo, and the fact that Simmons got like two TV shows and three different online outlets while SportsPickle never became as big as The Onion is a travesty of the highest order

lest we forget it at one point also had David Halberstam and Hunter S Thompson writing for it!

What a weird loving time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

well then

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/972264953313816576

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

BWV posted:

lest we forget it at one point also had David Halberstam and Hunter S Thompson writing for it!

What a weird loving time.

That Hunter Thompson "we are at war now and always will be" column from after 9/11 being on ESPN Page Two is the damndest thing, and still one of the most accurate things written in the aftermath

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I never really noticed him calling college games but holy poo poo last season I noticed this man has something like anti-charisma. I'd imagine if you ate dinner with him everything would taste bland no matter what.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He was generally really good with college games.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

and they already named his replacement

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/972276706345091072

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tessitore rules

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

He was generally really good with college games.

Yeah he and Speilman were awesome together.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I really like Sean McDonough.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Every game will go to overtime now

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I really like Sean McDonough.
Even Bryant Gumbel would say Sean McDonough was dullness personified.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

Even Bryant Gumbel would say Sean McDonough was dullness personified.

Nah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqv48MwEbaQ

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I saw that live.

I couldn't believe it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

iospace posted:

I saw that live.

I couldn't believe it.
Me too, but I was too busy laughing like a loving idiot to hear a word of McDonough said on that play

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine if you ate dinner with him everything would taste bland no matter what.

I've never even heard of Sean McDonough, but this is a really hilarious way to describe someone and now I'm curious about him.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm watching some Rugby thing and its super cool the ref is mic'd up and you can clearly hear what he says during the run of play

I wish US sports would do this

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm watching some Rugby thing and its super cool the ref is mic'd up and you can clearly hear what he says during the run of play

I wish US sports would do this

Players and refs are mic'd up commonly in all 4 big sports.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bip Roberts posted:

Players and refs are mic'd up commonly in all 4 big sports.

But you only really hear them during breaks in plays. Refs only turn their mics on to announce penalties. I wish they were on constantly.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Do you have any idea how much swearing that would pick up?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElwoodCuse posted:

Do you have any idea how much swearing that would pick up?

And?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Yes networks and advertisers would love every sports broadcast turning into an early 80s Eddie Murphy routine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

I saw that live.

I couldn't believe it.

It is one of my favorite sports events ever. I was on the phone with my dad watching live talking about how it sucked to lose and then......magic happened